Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ah, Christmas Mass....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

daveirl wrote: »

Because some people believe in it and it's courteous and correct to respect people and their beliefs maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

cheesedude wrote: »
    Because some people believe in it and it's courteous and correct to respect people and their beliefs maybe?
    Fair enough. Keep it to yourself so.

I don't see any problem with someone saying they would rather scratch their arse than go to mass. They're his beliefs so don't go disrespecting them by saying they reflect badly on him as a human being.

Anyways this is gone off topic enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

The right to believe in whatever you like should be respected, there's no reason the beliefs themselves should be respected.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Fair enough. Keep it to yourself so.

I don't see any problem with someone saying they would rather scratch their arse than go to mass. They're his beliefs so don't go disrespecting them by saying they reflect badly on him as a human being.

Anyways this is gone off topic enough.

It's disrespectful and rude to be honest...but that's not my problem if your ignorant.
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    The right to believe in whatever you like should be respected, there's no reason the beliefs themselves should be respected.

Yes but people believe in mass and attend if they want to, for someone to come in and start mouthing off about any religion is ignorant and that person should go live in a pig sty.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's disrespectful and rude to be honest...but that's not my problem if your ignorant.

Yes but people believe in mass and attend if they want to, for someone to come in and start mouthing off about any religion is ignorant and that person should go live in a pig sty.
    Is the air thin up there on your high horse?

Is the air thin up there on your high horse?

Dude i'm not into men...leave me alone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yeah he's into cheese, he's a cheesedude :rolleyes:

yeah he's into cheese, he's a cheesedude :rolleyes:

Thanks for that herpies...so do you go to mass or do you think you'd rather scratch your arse?

no I don't go to mass (I used to many moons ago), but I don't resent the Catholic church or their beliefs...wouldn't say I'd rather scratch my arse, maybe play Pro Evo or watch Twin Peaks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I went for mass yesterday and today and i enjoyed it, i am spending xmas alone this year:( although it was sad to see families around it was brilliant!:D
    I think everyone is entitled to their opinion about religion:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Representatives of the catholic church "scratched" young children's arses for years with impunity....what's to respect?

I respect people's right to believe in whatever the hell they want to believe in....that's a completely different thing than respecting what it is they believe in...

Wertz wrote: »
    Representatives of the catholic church "scratched" young children's arses for years with impunity....what's to respect?

I respect people's right to believe in whatever the hell they want to believe in....that's a completely different thing than respecting what it is they believe in...

So did thousands of other paedophiles? What's your point? There are paedophiles in every profession, whats your point worts? Your pathetic.

I'm by no means a religious advocate but these kind of remarks are infantile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Endasaurus

Jesus this thread went out of hand, no-one can even ask a simple question like "are you going to christmas mass" anymore.

I went, it was fine. No big deal. The folks liked it and the forty minutes zoomed by fairly handy.:cool:

I'm by no means a religious advocate but these kind of remarks are infantile

Infantile? How so? How can one be expected to hold respect for an organisation that stood over the crimes of it's members for so long?
    Hypocrisy has been mentioned several times in this thread....I'm of the belief that it's the height of hypocrisy for someone to stand at the top of a large hall and conduct a service to families on the back of what has happened over the past decades.
    If all that's infantile then great....forever young and all that.

Cheeedude, ad hominem attacks make any of the rest of your points null and void in my eyes. I'll live with your pity thanks. Very christian of you...

I just think it's an appropriate bandwagon, fashionable to jump on to suit people's own agendas. Of course, it happened - no one's denying that, but to dismiss the WHOLE organisation based on the actions of a few is, in my opinion, infantile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i fainted at xmas mass when i was about 12...great way to get out of going...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Went to mass for the first time in 3 years, some baby behind me sh1t himself so I took into a fit of laughing for the hour.

• Advertisement

Cheeedude, ad hominem attacks make any of the rest of your points null and void in my eyes. I'll live with your pity thanks. Very christian of you...

Who said I'm Christian?

Your the only one making cheap shots at an entire organisation based on a few stupid individuals? I think you need to sort yourself out.

I just think it's an appropriate bandwagon, fashionable to jump on to suit people's own agendas. Of course, it happened - no one's denying that, but to dismiss the WHOLE organisation based on the actions of a few is, in my opinion, infantile.

Yes it's an appropriate bandwagon that can be boarded by anyone with an axe to grind, that's fair enough.
    I didn't outright dismiss catholicism BTW, I said I had a hard time showing any respect for it, and yes that's solely because of paedophaelic scandals, specifically on this island.
    That's not for a moment to say that the catholic church didn't do a lot of good for this country down through the years....education, health, charity...but with the stuff coming to light of late, even that good work is blighted in my eyes.

But all this is way OT on what should be a happy day. I don't have any wish to upset anyone on here...as I said, I respect other's beliefs/opinions without attacking them for it...shame that that can't be reciprocated...

I don't care. I'm just saying...go argue with a priest...

I'm just saying respect beliefs and religions...it's not that hard.

I'd say any endorsement was more in the way of inaction and a willingness to turn a blind eye from people in authority within the church.
    Even I don't believe that there were orders from the Vatican to go off out raping and pillaging with the Pope's blessing.

But how many suffered as a result of that inaction? We've heard of plenty of cases (not just in Irleand) where priests with questionable allegations made agaisnt them were juggled between dioceses in the hope that it would all just go away. It didn't.
    Those orders to move individuals must have come from higher up the foodchain....and their very existence points to the fact that the people in charge were at least suspicious of the activities.....but they did nothing.
    This is an organisation that preaches do unto others as you would have done unto you.
    Suffer little children, more like...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Havent read the rest of the thread, but yeah, my parents stopped brining me and my brother to Christmas Mass (and mass in general) years ago. Best thing they ever did:D
    Minus the whole..giving birth thing...... ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    ha ha ha....are you gay by any chance?
    haha its not often you see somebody add 1+1 and get 50

I respect the views and beliefs of people regardless of whether I personally believe them or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jesus, Christmas mass, one damn thing I'm glad i don't have to suffer through anymore.

Last i heard , only old culchies do this?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement