Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol shooting on the cheap? Dublin based

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Ok everyone needs to stop driving because well you dont need to unless you enter Formula 1.
    No need for a bike either unless you need it for the Tour de France.
    Every single person started their respective professional sports careers as an amateur doing it for FUN.
    And yes you are right that there is a lot of people who use memberships just to get a licence, but that is an issue for the clubs to deal with, whether they want to loose the income well that is up to them.
    Personally I was one of those people who hadnt used a range for a few years, because of the recession I had to sell certain firearms, had to sell scopes and couldnt afford to take court actions when I lost my c/f pistol all to keep food on the table and oil in the tank, I hadnt a useable rifle to bring. But I will tell you there was no way in hell I was letting those licenses go, they were hard enough got in the first place.
    Thankfully this year I have got 3 of my rifles back working and going back to ranges again.
    You do not know anyones circumstances and to say the only reason for a licence is to compete is sorry to say total horse sh1t.
    Do I now need to represent Ireland so i can keep my shotgun for clays.
    When are people going to get it into their ***** skulls that WE ALL shoot it doesnt matter whether you represent your country at the Olympics or shoot a few ducks in the year, the common factor there is you use a firearm to do it, so why not and this seems out there to some people all work together and stop this elitest view held by some people that they are some how superior to everyone else based on the type of shooting they do.
    Sure let the EU ban the use of lead over wetlands sure that only affects hunters not target shooters, but who do you think is next once they have worked through the list, ye all better get the latest bow and arrow to keep target shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

I don’t know you from Adam but it’s arrogance like this that annoys me when i do go to the range. There’s always a tool that feels the need to tell people how to enjoy their sport and better yet that what their doing is wrong and they should do it their way. These same “people” I continuously out shoot when I do choose to compete (I’m not claiming to be the greatest shooter either). These guys are also generally the ones that have spent a small fortune on all the latest bells and whistles and look down their nose at anyone who doesn’t.
    I’ve competed across the country and have encountered one at nearly every range.

Im telling you nothing you dont know already, people complain all the time about having issues with renewing their licences and problems with getting pistols.

Its nothing to do with what pistol you have or dont have, its that you compete with it, be it in a club competition, or otherwise.
    3000 or so pistols in Ireland guys, so what are they all for if not to be used for target shooting.

You have to be a member of a range in most cases to have one, therefore whats it for, Is anyone brave enough to put down plinking, on their licence application I dont think so

Its TARGET SHOOTING, so do as you claim on your application.

my two cents, your not competing? WHY DO YOU NEED A PISTOL.?

Remember there are tens of thousands across the water who would very much like to have what we take for granted.

I SHOOT at a TARGET therefore I TARGET SHOOT. Competing is a different category. If you are prepared to take what your Super says as gospel without challenge then you Sir are doing yourself and the wider shooting community a diservice.
    And I am saying no more on the matter as I get the feeling I'm probably going to be wrong anyway so no sense in prolonging my frustration with certain attitudes within OUR own community.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Captainaxiom

jb88 wrote: »
    Im telling you nothing you dont know already, people complain all the time about having issues with renewing their licences and problems with getting pistols.

Its nothing to do with what pistol you have or dont have, its that you compete with it, be it in a club competition, or otherwise.
    3000 or so pistols in Ireland guys, so what are they all for if not to be used for target shooting.

You have to be a member of a range in most cases to have one, therefore whats it for, Is anyone brave enough to put down plinking, on their licence application I dont think so

Its TARGET SHOOTING, so do as you claim on your application.

my two cents, your not competing? WHY DO YOU NEED A PISTOL.?

Remember there are tens of thousands across the water who would very much like to have what we take for granted.

First off I don’t know where the myth of it’s hard to get a license comes from, I’ve never had any issue getting a license. The pistol was straight forward enough, filled in the form and attached a photocopy of my range membership card. Not exactly rocket science.
    Secondly it’s target shooting and who are you to redefine what that means for the shooting community. If I or anyone else chooses to go to the range either on my own if with a buddy to shoot targets is that not good enough to satisfy the conditions of the license.
    Maybe people don’t want to “play/compete” with snobs

Don’t also forget that if those 3000 licenses weren’t paying their range memberships ‘you’ wouldn’t have anywhere to compete. You need these people more than they need you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Yes, and they lost it too because of attitudes like this held in the higher echelons of the various disciplines.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭rugerfanatic

I represent myself not any organisation.

If you dont compete be it at club level, natiional or international, then why have a pistol?

Seems grpai have clarified that point too.

Now to answer you're question. I have a pistol because I like to shoot it on the range I'm a member of. I used compete in lots of disciplines, pistol, rifles and shotgun but gave up years ago because too many didn't appreciate me winning so much. Anazing the lengths some will go to to win.

Now you answer my previous question. Were you asked for comp data? I know nobody who has been from my shooting friends all over the Republic.

Seems grpai have clarified that point too.

Now to answer you're question. I have a pistol because I like to shoot it on the range I'm a member of. I used compete in lots of disciplines, pistol, rifles and shotgun but gave up years ago because too many didn't appreciate me winning so much. Anazing the lengths some will go to to win.

Now you answer my previous question. Were you asked for comp data? I know nobody who has been from my shooting friends all over the Republic.

Once again for the guys in the back seats, I dont represent any shooting organisation. I think ive already made this quite clear in posts above.

This is getting a bit repetitive.

Its a sport, its competitive just like many other whats your problem with that.

If you understand any sport its about competing, not about the winning. Its the taking part that counts

Yes I was asked to produce data, competition results for such by the GARDAI and promptly obliged. I dont see a problem with that. Maybe others do.

To anyone who reads this, Get out there and start competing in whatever organisation you choose, and if you cant take the undue pressure you put on yourself, then consider something else.

solarwinds wrote: »
    I SHOOT at a TARGET therefore I TARGET SHOOT. Competing is a different category. If you are prepared to take what your Super says as gospel without challenge then you Sir are doing yourself and the wider shooting community a diservice.
    And I am saying no more on the matter as I get the feeling I'm probably going to be wrong anyway so no sense in prolonging my frustration with certain attitudes within OUR own community.

If you think for one second that I havent questioned a number of times multiple Chief Superintendants, and Super's on many aspects of their misinterpretations of various aspects of their assumed knowledge in relation to firearms then you are gravely mistaken sir.

If I didnt personally challenge and continuously question then I wouldnt be able to enjoy shooting to the extent I can today. ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭rugerfanatic

Its a sport, its competitive just like many other whats your problem with that.

If you understand any sport its about competing, not about the winning. Its the taking part that counts

Yes I was asked to produce data, competition results for such by the GARDAI and promptly obliged. I dont see a problem with that. Maybe others do.

To anyone who reads this, Get out there and start competing in whatever organisation you choose, and if you cant take the undue pressure you put on yourself, then consider something else.

To you it"s a sport. To others it"s a hobby/pastime. Even as a sport it doesn't have to be competitive. If I was into soccer I can go out abd have a kick about with my friends. We don't have to play in a match to enjoy it.

Weird you got asked for proof of comp entry. I know of nobofy else who has since FCP sorted that issue in approx 2008.

When I competed I did so to win. No point otherwise. Pressure? Some use their hobby/pastime to get away from everyday pressure.

You seem to have the attitude that everyone should do and think as you do?

I don’t know you from Adam but it’s arrogance like this that annoys me when i do go to the range. There’s always a tool that feels the need to tell people how to enjoy their sport and better yet that what their doing is wrong and they should do it their way. These same “people” I continuously out shoot when I do choose to compete (I’m not claiming to be the greatest shooter either). These guys are also generally the ones that have spent a small fortune on all the latest bells and whistles and look down their nose at anyone who doesn’t.
    I’ve competed across the country and have encountered one at nearly every range.

I didnt know we were ever introduced. :):) How do you know me???? You know my name.

If you knew anything about me at all, the last thing I offer is advice or tell people how they can improve.. im in competition with everyone, unless someone asks, which I wish they wouldnt ask, just let me get on with my practice, or competition and stop annoying me.

the problem with going to a range at the weekend is lads annoying me asking questions all the time, but hey what can you do. Its the price of progress.

Oh some lad almost choked on his tea when he read my name above so be careful we dont want any accidents. Its just not sporting when people use their real names. Ive asked the mods can I change my name. im still waiting for a reply :):):):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I didnt know we were ever introduced. :):) How do you know me???? You know my name.

If you knew anything about me at all, the last thing I offer is advice or tell people how they can improve.. im in competition with everyone, unless someone asks, which I wish they wouldnt ask, just let me get on with my practice, or competition and stop annoying me.

the problem with going to a range at the weekend is lads annoying me asking questions all the time, but hey what can you do. Its the price of progress.

Oh some lad almost choked on his tea when he read my name above so be careful we dont want any accidents. Its just not sporting when people use their real names. Ive asked the mods can I change my name. im still waiting for a reply :):):):):):)

You sound to me like a real barrel of laffs. Thank goodness there are still some 'misguided people' around [your view, Sir, not mine] who enjoy shooting for the fun of doing it, and are ready and willing to help others to do it as well.

Can't have people annoying us and asking how we do things so that they, too can learn to shoot as well as we do, can we?

I think that you had better start a club where you are the sole member, then you can ensure that there will be no annoying interruptions, right?

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Thinking of getting into pistol shooting but how to do it on the cheap or at least test the water on the cheap.

I'm in south Dublin so that means perhaps hilltop is my closest but is there anywhere that's significantly cheaper (even if means a bit of a drive)

Are there clubs that have 'club guns' where a chap can try a few gun types for feel and ease of use?

Also is there a minimum attendance required in order to maintain the validity of a licence.

Finally I'd like to shoot cowbow style 6 shooter style revolvers (I think) etc etc is there anywhere that is into this styl of shooting.

If anyone has any guidance or advice than thanks. I know it's a busy time of the year but I'd still love to hear your thoughts.

Apologies for not answering your original question I got distracted with the side show.
    Range days are probably your best bet, ring around the few ranges near you and explain what you are trying to do, they will advise you best from there.
    As for doing it on the cheap, well when you figure that one out there are a few here including myself who would like to know your secret.
    Target shooting is highly addictive, great fun and a money pit. I find that 99% of the people you will meet are more than happy to give advice and help when needed and equally leave you alone and not interfere if thats your preference. I left one club after many years of being looked down on by other members and not a very friendly atmosphere because I was not in the clique.
    Go try it out, you will love it and you WILL have a lot less money at the end of it but you will not regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

@jb88

I have a pistol and rifle license. Of course I put down on the pistol license application that I want to shoot competition. If I remember rightly "with some day hoping to compete at an international and Olympic level". ffs.

I do shoot the odd comp usually at club level for a bit of fun.

You think the only reason why someone should have a pistol is for competition ? get real. Some people enjoy shooting for shootings sake. I'm a **** shot, never gonna win any comps but enjoy challenging myself to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

You can shoot a "cowboy" 6 shooter revolver all day long. Once its plugged for 5 rounds. Dunno what you mean by style of shooting. You're not going to be rolling around in chaps ala The Man With No Name blaming off shots.

There is no "cowboy" style of shooting.

@Zxthinger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Heckler wrote: »
    There is no "cowboy" style of shooting.

Oh, there most certainly IS:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowboy_action_shooting

Of course, we here in Ireland all know that this is a thinly disguised form of paramilitary/terrorist/gangster/special-operator training, and it's thus rightfully banned lest the country descend into anarchy with rivers of blood flowing down the streets!
    It's only a matter of time before all those other countries in the world (including our friends and neighbours up the road and across the Irish Sea and all across the EU) who foolishly allow this activity to occur succumb to the terrible deceit and Ireland alone will stand like a shining beacon of sense and responsibility.

I'm sure THIS is why cowboy action shooting was banned here...As our "ethnic minority" still use horses as a mode of transport.
    Obviously, this ban has prevented massacres on our Irish streets .:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Just the job at the RDS!

i'd suspect that the jodhpurs & red coats crowd would be as sniffy about this as the plus fours & tweeds crowd are about non-traditional shooting sports.

It has obviously escaped the notice of most of the learned folk here that part of regular pony club of Great Britain gymkhana competitions involves young people, usually gals [from the age of eight or nine] shooting PISTOLS at targets.......OOOHHH THE HORROR of it all!!!!

Oh we have a pony club here too Tac, that is added to our shooting sports organisations. But as to what they shoot, have shot,or probably don't even know they are included in the shooting sports orgs is another thing.

Well, I have to admit that I was wrong. The Irish Pony Club DOES include shooting, air pistols and air rifles at 10m, as part of the Tetrathlon - see - Shooting Phase: Senior boys and girls shoot using an air pistol of .177 calibre at 10m. air pistol targets from the standing position. Junior boys and girls shoot using an air rifle of .177 calibre at 10m. air rifle target lying in a prone position.

Excellent, and just like everybody else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement