Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pistol shooting on the cheap? Dublin based

Options
  • 01-12-2018 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting into pistol shooting but how to do it on the cheap or at least test the water on the cheap.

I'm in south Dublin so that means perhaps hilltop is my closest but is there anywhere that's significantly cheaper (even if means a bit of a drive)

Are there clubs that have 'club guns' where a chap can try a few gun types for feel and ease of use?

Also is there a minimum attendance required in order to maintain the validity of a licence.

Finally I'd like to shoot cowbow style 6 shooter style revolvers (I think) etc etc is there anywhere that is into this styl of shooting.

If anyone has any guidance or advice than thanks. I know it's a busy time of the year but I'd still love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

You can't do Cowboy action shooting in Ireland. However I know they do it up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Shooting ANYTHING at all is never going to be an economy sport, like darts. Just prepare yourself to spend a good deal of money from the off, and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Yeah any type of shooting is a dirty expensive past time. Courtlough do pistol shooting. My local range harbour house also do it. 1st year membership is around the 300+ mark and they do have club rifles and pistols available for beginners to try out. But for this you have to be a member i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

Ye I know it's going cost money but if there was places that offers better value.

So cowboy shooting is out but surly revolvers are still an option..

Zxthinger wrote: »
    Ye I know it's going cost money but if there was places that offers better value.

So cowboy shooting is out but surly revolvers are still an option..

Yeah 5 shot in .22lr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭badaj0z

Also is there a minimum attendance required in order to maintain the validity of a licence.

Not the sort of question that is likely to endear you to any of the clubs you may want to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Hack12

Only option on the "cheap" is range days. Clubs are generally conservative of letting people use pistols/revolvers on a range day due to the nature of the firearm but you can ask. Best bet is Hilltop, Courtlough and Harbour House.

Max calibre you can shoot in Ireland is .22 and max magazine/cylinder capacity is 5 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

badaj0z wrote: »
    Not the sort of question that is likely to endear you to any of the clubs you may want to join.

Well if I had to shot once a week then the midlands range (for example) would be a complete no no.

It's a question that's perfectly ok to ask.

Well if I had to shot once a week then the midlands range (for example) would be a complete no no.

It sure is. Join a club be it midlands harbour house etc.. Iv seen the 5 shot revolver for sale in harbour house by one of the in house dealers.

As we will all agree its a good social outlet and tbh Iv a pistol and have only shot it in 2 comps in the last year as the inter county and leinster league take up most of my time and finances

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You don't have to shoot once a week. There is nothing set in stone regarding minimum range attendance.

That said, you'd probably want to go about once every month or two.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You don't have to shoot once a week. There is nothing set in stone regarding minimum range attendance.

If only to justify the expense... I know that I'm VERY lucky - every week I can shoot every day outdoors, and two evenings at our indoor range. Because I'm old, my fee is reduced, and because I'm an RCO my fee is reduced again and because I'm a veteran, my fee is reduced yet again. We have yet to get to the point where they pay me to go shooting, but it's not far off... :)

We also get 10% club discount from our three local gun stores, too.

tac foley wrote: »
    If only to justify the expense... I know that I'm VERY lucky - every week I can shoot every day outdoors, and two evenings at our indoor range. Because I'm old, my fee is reduced, and because I'm an RCO my fee is reduced again and because I'm a veteran, my fee is reduced yet again. We have yet to get to the point where they pay me to go shooting, but it's not far off... :)

We also get 10% club discount from our three local gun stores, too.

I'm flat out working and studying at the moment so time to get to the range is my issue. Roll on next Summer where I can happily be broke again from buying ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Rosahane

BattleCorp wrote: »

I seem to remember a requirement to attend the range a minimum of ten times per year. I know the Super is entitled to ask for attendance records upon renewal.

Rosahane wrote: »
    I seem to remember a requirement to attend the range a minimum of ten times per year. I know the Super is entitled to ask for attendance records upon renewal.

Yes, the Super can ask for range attendance but where in the legislation does it say that you have to attend the range a minimum of 10 times? Or any number of times for that matter?

So if a Super says 'you only visited the range three times last year, I'm taking away your licence', he is making up the law. That's my thinking anyway.

It's not written in legislation as far as I'm aware. I'd be happy to be corrected on that but I don't think I'm wrong.

As I understand it, Jim, the 'justification for ownership' of any firearm is that you actually USE it. I guess that 'using' it once a year is 'use', in law, but it's hardly in the spirit of the thing, is it?
    In the UK we log each of our guns each time we use them on the range, as well as ourselves, in the range log book, so that they can be examined, if necessary, by the firearms issuing authorities. I only have nineteen guns, and I shoot a lot, although, for obvious reasons some get shot a lot more than others do. So my 'good reason' for ownership is visible in my record. However, there HAVE been cases where, for lack of range attendance, people have been asked to either go shooting more often, or risk having their FAC revoked for lack of use.

As I understand it, Jim, the 'justification for ownership' of any firearm is that you actually USE it. I guess that 'using' it once a year is 'use', in law, but it's hardly in the spirit of the thing, is it?
    In the UK we log each of our guns each time we use them on the range, as well as ourselves, in the range log book, so that they can be examined, if necessary, by the firearms issuing authorities. I only have nineteen guns, and I shoot a lot, although, for obvious reasons some get shot a lot more than others do. So my 'good reason' for ownership is visible in my record. However, there HAVE been cases where, for lack of range attendance, people have been asked to either go shooting more often, or risk having their FAC revoked for lack of use.

Do you have an sgc and an fac? Think that system is excellent. One licence fill the box

Do you have an sgc and an fac? Think that system is excellent. One licence fill the box

Nope, just a FAC. I don't do shotgunning per se. However, come the New Year I'm going to apply for a SGC so that I can start shooting smoothbored muskets and historical stuff like that. Here you can shoot a single ball - like a .65cal flintlock musket [replica or real] on a SGC so long as the barrel is more than 24" long. Great fun up to 50m...

Better yet - with an SGC there is no limit to the number of smoothbore guns you can have - literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

If there was a requirement for mandatory range attendance then even that can be abused with lads just turning up to swipe a fob. Having seen it first hand, and its a farce.

If pistol is your requirement get one and use it in competition, that should be the only justification for having one.
    Show competition entries and results when you go for renewal. Otherwise choose something else

And when you no longer shoot it in competition get rid of it, easily 2500 - 3000 .22 Pistols in Ireland. It would be great to see 10% of that number turning up to shoot a club or national competition, but its a dream.

Easily over 150 pistols in my Club with about half that competing with them every year, I at least try and do 4 comps per year which is very easy.

Too many lads with Pistols gathering dust in safes in Ireland and when time comes and the government wants rid of them, top of their excuse list will be "Why do you need it", you dont compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Some people don't want to compete, your desire to compete doesn't give you more right to one than them. That's moronic reasoning. Next only people that are good with them would be getting one.

There was an 80+ year old man in my club, went up once a week to shoot two boxes with a friend...didn't compete. Taking his gun off him are you? Ridiculous.

Nope, just a FAC. I don't do shotgunning per se. However, come the New Year I'm going to apply for a SGC so that I can start shooting smoothbored muskets and historical stuff like that. Here you can shoot a single ball - like a .65cal flintlock musket [replica or real] on a SGC so long as the barrel is more than 24" long. Great fun up to 50m...

Better yet - with an SGC there is no limit to the number of smoothbore guns you can have - literally.

Very very cool. I know a few lads from shooting in wales that have 20+ shotguns. As long as they can prove they can store them securly they are fine. Great system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Rosahane wrote: »

Errr No. There is no "mandatory attendance" requirement in law here.It's not like that for the majority of shooters there is a club on every street corner or parish.

In fact,it could be very well argued that this whole "club membership" thing is illegal under EU human rights law.EUCHR actively states it is prohibited from forcing or coercing, by any means individuals to join any religion, organisation, party or other to gain privileges denied to society in general. [Again, thanks to Herr Hitler and Co.]

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Im going to suggest a radical option, if you want to test the waters take your next holiday in Vienna or Budapest and spend an afternoon at a range shooting pistols for maybe 50-100 quid depending on how much you want to shoot

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Strider wrote: »
    Some people don't want to compete, your desire to compete doesn't give you more right to one than them. That's moronic reasoning. Next only people that are good with them would be getting one.

There was an 80+ year old man in my club, went up once a week to shoot two boxes with a friend...didn't compete. Taking his gun off him are you? Ridiculous.

I think there is a section on the FCA1 where you need to state the reason for use, I guarantee most people put target shooting down as the reason for use when they apply to licence a pistol.

Going to a range and just firing off a couple of boxes of rounds, because they want to, isnt put on their application otherwise, whats the justification for having one, and remember its the Gardai who ask these questions.

If its right or wrong in someones eyes isnt relevant. Its the justification for use and if your not using the firearm for the reason you applied on your application for having one, well why should you have it?

and wo betide anyone who hasnt had this asked of them when applying for a licence for a firearm, because speaking personally its happened to me many a time.
    "If your not competing whats your justification for having a pistol?" Application declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Shooting ANYTHING at all is never going to be an economy sport, like darts. Just prepare yourself to spend a good deal of money from the off, and take it from there.

I would tend to agree with this. I shoot sporting clay and it is not a cheap sport. When I compare my sport to my Uncle in the UK, we really do get ripped off in Ireland. That being said, I love the sport and have no intention of stopping but it most certainly is not cheap.

Pistol licences are difficult to get at the moment.

Good luck OP.

jb88 wrote: »
    I think there is a section on the FCA1 where you need to state the reason for use, I guarantee most people put target shooting down as the reason for use when they apply to licence a pistol.

Going to a range and just firing off a couple of boxes of rounds, because they want to, isnt put on their application otherwise, whats the justification for having one, and remember its the Gardai who ask these questions.

If its right or wrong in someones eyes isnt relevant. Its the justification for use and if your not using the firearm for the reason you applied on your application for having one, well why should you have it?

and wo betide anyone who hasnt had this asked of them when applying for a licence for a firearm, because speaking personally its happened to me many a time.
    "If your not competing whats your justification for having a pistol?" Application declined.

Firing off a couple of boxes IS target shooting. You're talking through your arse now. Target shooting=/= competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

jb88 wrote: »

I'm trying to follow your logic. You are of the belief that if you put down target shooting as a good reason for a firearm and then use this firearm to fire a few boxes of ammo at a target, at a range you are somehow not using your firearm for the purpose it's licensed for?

If you put down target shooting you don't have to compete in a competition you can shoot for your own enjoyment.

The same goes if you put down clay pigeon shooting as a good reason. You have the same justification to licence that firearm as someone who shoots in competitions, even if you only shoot for birds.

I think you mean if you put down competition shooting for a good reason for a firearm you can't just shoot the odd target for fun. But then again I wouldn't put this down. Just use the generic term target shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

"Target shooting" does not equate "Participating actively in competitions to fulfil license conditions".
    It means exactly what it says.

If you go up and shoot a box of shells at a bit of paper,once or twice a year or a clay pigeon,or whatever alt targets your range allows, you have fulfilled your part of the conditions of the license to the letter.IF you put a generic "target shooting" reason.

It is an assumption on the insurer's part that target shooting means you are shooting competitions.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Smell of elitism creeping in a bit...'I compete'...would ya ever F off:pac:

Won national competitions all over the country myself so I've nothing against competing but holding it over other people who don't is cringe worthy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

By that definition so i'm fully entitled to set up my bit of paper in a field and belt away as its not target shooting.
    Thats the best one i've heard in a while.
    In my last application for a .22 i explained to the super it was for target shooting and vermin, i told him i dont enter competions i just like to do it for my own sake. No issue made of it and licence granted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭rugerfanatic

JB88,GRPAI who from prev discussions only organise shooting comps now on FCP and are members of SC. I wonder if ye'll push for mandatory comp participation rather than a range membership with attendence being the valid reason for continuation of licencing?

Advertisement