Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openeir rural FTTH tracking

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Marlow wrote: »
    That one has been live quite a while. There's plenty of FTTH connections from it installed already.

/M

As you said in the other thread the map does seem to be somewhat behind what is happening on the ground. They only update it once a month so why it can't be more accurate I don't know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very encouraging update for February, could be the biggest month of action yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

No. That is done separately but the underlying data that it uses was changed yesterday. I expect they will do fibrerollout today sometime.

Cool, just see that map now shows the updated data - http://www.fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map

If all went to plan with the due live date, does that mean its orderable from that date or it is then available for service providers within a month to take orders on?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Cool, just see that map now shows the updated data - http://www.fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map

If all went to plan with the due live date, does that mean its orderable from that date or it is then available for service providers within a month to take orders on?

It should be available to order from the date on the map, in fact it may even be able to be ordered in some instances before the date given as Marlow referred to about an exchange in Galway. Just keep checking https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

It should be available to order from the date on the map, in fact it may even be able to be ordered in some instances before the date given as Marlow referred to about an exchange in Galway. Just keep checking https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

Sweet jasus! It says its available (but I know the cabling isn't 100% finished).
    Worth signing up yet?

• Advertisement

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Sweet jasus! It says its available (but I know the cabling isn't 100% finished).
    Worth signing up yet?

If you're positive that the cabling in direct proximity to you is not finished then you are probably just causing yourself hassle placing an order that is going to be cancelled or worse left in some limbo.

On the other hand if around you is done then it could be available as they tend to launch exchange areas bit by bit. In my own area a salesman called about a month before the area went live so if sales haven't been around it likely is not ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

They are an awful lot of areas down for Winter 18. Will some of the areas be connected sooner or will it be into 2019 for more of these areas see Fibre?

Jpmarn wrote: »
    They are an awful lot of areas down for Winter 18. Will some of the areas be connected sooner or will it be into 2019 for more of these areas see Fibre?

That is the $64000 question. I'm not sure what will happen but in my opinion I don't see how they can possibly complete 170000 (if you believe their latest, dubious press release) premises in the eleven months left in the year.

What happens these premises then as we go into 2019? Well eir could complete them as promised or they could abandon them and pay whatever fine is built into the contract with the Government.

I suspect nobody outside of eir's headquarters really knows what is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

Jpmarn wrote: »

2nd half 2018 - I've been complaining about that scheduling from the start - it's as if they were planning to fail from the very start of the rollout. They have a mammoth task to finish it in the next 11 months - i.e. it was BS from the start, penalties were already considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Im expected to go live in Belturbet on the 7th Feb (According to the excel tracker ) but on the map,The house is still down as blue (planned) All the wires are set up outside and all appears ready to go.

Is the map abit behind for anyone else or is it fairly accurate?

• Advertisement

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Im expected to go live in Belturbet on the 7th Feb (According to the excel tracker ) but on the map,The house is still down as blue (planned) All the wires are set up outside and all appears ready to go.

Is the map abit behind for anyone else or is it fairly accurate?

I would not trust the map. The best indication is if the cable and distribution boxes are on the poles. If this is the case then you are likely to go live in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Cheers Navi,

Another Quick one...When it says live date...Am i able to ring up sky/eir to get connected or am i best to wait and a few days.

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Cheers Navi,

Another Quick one...When it says live date...Am i able to ring up sky/eir to get connected or am i best to wait and a few days.

Potentially. They tend to launch areas in stages so your home may or may not be in the initial launch. Put your homes Eircode into:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

If it says FTTH is available you should be able to order. Keep checking this regularly.

Sky do not sell the Openeir FTTH product currently so there is no point trying to order from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

I would not trust the map. The best indication is if the cable and distribution boxes are on the poles. If this is the case then you are likely to go live in the near future.

I have a similar dilemma....the FTTH runs past my home, poles and cabling are in place. My neighbours 50 metres either side of me have it installed as do others and on the map they are 'green' yet on the map my home has no markings at all.....so I know it's right outside my door and I'm no different to homes that have it, yet when I provide my eircode I'm told I can't order as it's not available, what's my options here? I think the problem is simply the map is not updated

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Tuesday13 wrote: »
    I have a similar dilemma....the FTTH runs past my home, poles and cabling are in place. My neighbours 50 metres either side of me have it installed as do others and on the map they are 'green' yet on the map my home has no markings at all.....so I know it's right outside my door and I'm no different to homes that have it, yet when I provide my eircode I'm told I can't order as it's not available, what's my options here? I think the problem is simply the map is not updated

Get on to a provider that cares and makes the effort. The status of your house can be changed if they contact their account manager in OpenEIR or are a bit creative.

Eir won't care enough to fix that.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Get on to a provider that cares and makes the effort. The status of your house can be changed if they contact their account manager in OpenEIR or are a bit creative.

Eir won't care enough to fix that.

/M

Thanks Marlow, my provider is vodafone and I've contacted both their call centre and eirs call centre but no matter what department I speak to they don't seem to grasp my actual problem......so , I'm thinking u mean trying to contact OpenEIR directly is the best option?

Thanks Marlow, my provider is vodafone and I've contacted both their call centre and eirs call centre but no matter what department I speak to they don't seem to grasp my actual problem......so , I'm thinking u mean trying to contact OpenEIR directly is the best option?

There is no point contacting Vodafone as they don't sell the product. What Marlow is taking about is perhaps trying a smaller ISP who might be able to help you. You can try some or all of the providers listed on:

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (green home icons)

You're probably going to need to ring or email a detailed description of your issue.

By the way is your home further back from the road compared to your neighbours that have service?

There is no point contacting Vodafone as they don't sell the product. What Marlow is taking about is perhaps trying a smaller ISP who might be able to help you. You can try some or all of the providers listed on:

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (green home icons)

You're probably going to need to ring or email a detailed description of your issue.

By the way is your home further back from the road compared to your neighbours that have service?

Ah I see, I'll try that approach, thanks.

It is further back than other houses by about 10/15 metres max.

Another neighbour had it installed last week(his house was green on the rollout map), the KN engineer brought it so his house from about 100 metres away via 3 existing poles, engineer did it without issue.

Ah I see, I'll try that approach, thanks.

It is further back than other houses by about 10/15 metres max.

Another neighbour had it installed last week(his house was green on the rollout map), the KN engineer brought it so his house from about 100 metres away via 3 existing poles, engineer did it without issue.

They seem to have skipped homes that are very far back from the distribution points but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

You could also try emailing Openeir at fibrepower@openeir.ie

Send screenshots of the map with your home highlighted and explain that your neighbours have been connected. Get and send the label number (yellow sticker) of your nearest distribution point (the box on the pole). Ask for it to be escalated to the network team.

There's no guarantee that they will help you though but it can't hurt to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,307 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Do you have a phone line installed already?
    If not order it, tech will go out and see what he says when he arrives

If you have a line installed ask for your eircode/number to be checked with who ever you want to go with. Not all eircodes are assigned properly and it may just need someone to update it on the system to say FTTH available
    The guys doing the orders can only go by what the system tells them is available and no amount of pleading can change what they can order.

OpenEir won't deal with you so no point sending them an email - has to come from Eir, Vodafone or whoever

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    Do you have a phone line installed already?
    If not order it, tech will go out and see what he says when he arrives

If you have a line installed ask for your eircode/number to be checked with who ever you want to go with. Not all eircodes are assigned properly and it may just need someone to update it on the system to say FTTH available
    The guys doing the orders can only go by what the system tells them is available and no amount of pleading can change what they can order.

OpenEir won't deal with you so no point sending them an email - has to come from Eir, Vodafone or whoever

Openeir have helped previously.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104044796&postcount=6817

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104680220

Sending an email is certainly cheaper than ordering a phoneline.

Openeir have helped previously.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104044796&postcount=6817

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104680220

Sending an email is certainly cheaper than ordering a phoneline.

Will stand corrected but OpenEir don't deal with the general public bar appointments, usually.
    But 2 links 2 months apart hardly proves anything, more than likely the tech had referred back as FTTH available so no point installing PSTN and the eircode was just updated to reflect that

Can always cancel the phone line afterwards

p.s.
    Something missing in between the 2 comments as well, they don't just come and install FTTH because you sent an email to OpenEir saying I'm being told I cant get FTTH but I can

Will stand corrected but OpenEir don't deal with the general public bar appointments, usually.
    But 2 links 2 months apart hardly proves anything, more than likely the tech had referred back as FTTH available so no point installing PSTN and the eircode was just updated to reflect that

Can always cancel the phone line afterwards

p.s.
    Something missing in between the 2 comments as well, they don't just come and install FTTH because you sent an email to OpenEir saying I'm being told I cant get FTTH but I can

Just an anecdote but I was at a premises a couple of months ago when KN came to install a phone line. I got talking to the tech and was set to question him about FTTH. He told me it was a separate section in the company dealing with it and all he was doing was POTS and VDSL installations. He didn't know much about FTTH.

Anyway if it were me I'd try every method available so hopefully something suggested works for Tuesday13.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

They seem to have skipped homes that are very far back from the distribution points but that doesn't seem to be your problem.

You could also try emailing Openeir at fibrepower@openeir.ie

Send screenshots of the map with your home highlighted and explain that your neighbours have been connected. Get and send the label number (yellow sticker) of your nearest distribution point (the box on the pole). Ask for it to be escalated to the network team.

There's no guarantee that they will help you though but it can't hurt to try.
    I didn't know that.

How far back is very far back I wonder?

AidenL wrote: »
    I didn't know that.

How far back is very far back I wonder?

I was talking about something like this:

440408.PNG

The red dot signifies a house that is ~200m from the road yet premises each side of it are due to be passed.

Your situation is different I believe in that whoever originally collated the map assumed that you and your neighbours were close enough to a cabinet to get a decent service. It has since transpired that you are unable to receive such a service and hopefully that has been realised by the team that have designed the FTTH network for your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

I was talking about something like this:

440408.PNG

The red dot signifies a house that is ~200m from the road yet premises each side of it are due to be passed.

Your situation is different I believe in that whoever originally collated the map assumed that you and your neighbours were close enough to a cabinet to get a decent service. It has since transpired that you are unable to receive such a service and hopefully that has been realised by the team that have designed the FTTH network for your area.

I think you sum it up nicely !

Im not 200m back, so fingers crossed !

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

Hopping in here to confirm that twice, I got a blue house in a sea of green houses turned to a green house by emailing the fibrepower openeir email. Both times they were on the ball from the off, gave me a reference number and kept me updated to the end. There were no obvious reasons in either case, technical or otherwise why the houses were left off the map when houses both sides were getting connected and in the case of one of the houses the fibre distribution point was on the pole in the garden!

If you do contact them, give plenty of detail... your eircode and neighbouring eircodes that are passing, corresponding landline numbers and also the code that can be seen on the yellow sticker on the distribution point on the nearest pole (looks something like XXX7_000000Y... XXX being the local exchange code)

I suspect myself that many of these one off blue houses was all part of eir spoiling the NBP by leaving a house behind here and there for NBP subsidy while connecting the neighbouring houses in their own rollout. No eventual NBP winner could come miles down the road for this one blue house but eir could surely collect the subsidy and get this "missed" house on the network

I'll add a little anecdote here too about another "blue" house I was asked to help. In this case I was beaten to the punch by a crafty eir salesperson who put in an order for ftth using the eircode of a neighbouring holiday home (about 150 metres away) that was green. The problem with doing this was that the blue house had a distribution point at the gate from which it would have likely been served and the holiday home through who's eircode the order had been placed had it's own distribution point just a few meters past it. The lad from KN landed, saw the messup but proceeded to haul the fibre from the incorrect distribution point 150 metres up the road, ignoring what would have been the correct distribution point at the gate! He didn't really care and claimed if he was to use his better judgement and come from what was the correct distribution point at the gate, the order provisioning would fail. Now while I don't agree with what the saleperson done here... it worked and may work and probably has worked for others too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

dollylama wrote: »
    Now while I don't agree with what the saleperson done here... it worked and may work and probably has worked for others too

It's what has to be done sometimes, when houses have no eircode. So it's not a first.

And I've now also successfully managed to get 2 FTTH lines put into the same premise on the same Eircode. Without any complaints from OpenEIR or the installing technician :) (one on Eir and one on another provider)

/M

Can I ask what was the email/phone number, will be handy for some people I know because nothing on their website hints at anything public, seems to be all geared towards the teleco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

I can't post the email due to some stupid restriction here. It's a page or two back fibrepower[at]openeir[dot]ie

They use some sort of case handling system internally so your email isn't just landing for some lackey in reception to pawn you off with a cut/paste response. In my case, both emails were logged and promptly actioned upon to a successful result (basically they changed the houses to live in the database!). Now whether or not they will maintain this level of customer service remains to be seen... considering they've successfully killed the NBP

Advertisement