Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Openeir rural FTTH tracking

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Thanks Martin. I’m not impatient, just confused! :D

I thought I’d appear in the map this time around, my mistake.

I’ll stay quiet till I at least see fibre on poles.
    You're being impatient. The map data does not necessarily change to include your home until the last second, when the roll-out goes live. It might not be listed at all in the map.

The list we get from OpenEIR can differ quite a bit, especially when it's cases that are outside of the original plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

The map data was updated today. 18960 premises were added since the last update bringing the total to 132671.

Only two areas were give due dates:

30th May: Ballyheigue (Kerry)

13th June: Kilbride (Meath)

Unfortunately there were lots of areas whose deadlines got pushed back. These can be seen on the tracker in red under the May '18 column.

The tracker has been updated.
    Tipperary could really go with some love :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Tipperary could really go with some love :(

Yes, the discrepancy between the haves and have-nots is quite stark. Tipperary, Laois, Leitrim and Mayo all lagging. The East coast is definitely getting preferential treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

You're being impatient. The map data does not necessarily change to include your home until the last second, when the roll-out goes live. It might not be listed at all in the map.

The list we get from OpenEIR can differ quite a bit, especially when it's cases that are outside of the original plan.
    Hi MartinL Im think off getting Airwire in october have Eir FTTH at moment.I still have my dsl line active for my phone will I be able to port my phone number over to FTTH line and keep my phone number thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^

I'm also thinking of Airwire. Any one with them for FTTH? All I can find online are reviews about their wireless service.... mostly negative....

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

rob808 wrote: »
    Hi MartinL Im think off getting Airwire in october have Eir FTTH at moment.I still have my dsl line active for my phone will I be able to port my phone number over to FTTH line and keep my phone number thanks.

Yes, that should not be a problem.
    MBSnr wrote: »
    ^^^

I'm also thinking of Airwire. Any one with them for FTTH? All I can find online are reviews about their wireless service.... mostly negative....

When you look at reviews online, please check how old they are and how many you actually find compared to how much coverage the business has.

You will find, that the amount of bad reviews are fairly minimal compared to our customer base. Good reviews are generally far and few about, because customers, that have no problems, don't need to go out chatting about it on forums etc.

I'll leave it to others to tell you about their experience with our service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

When you look at reviews online, please check how old they are and how many you actually find compared to how much coverage the business has.

You will find, that the amount of bad reviews are fairly minimal compared to our customer base. Good reviews are generally far and few about, because customers, that have no problems, don't need to go out chatting about it on forums etc.

I'll leave it to others to tell you about their experience with our service.

Thanks, I realise that positive reviews are not normally on online forums. It'll be nice to get someone coming back with their experience of FTTH with yourselves. Digiweb use Trustpilot so potential customers can evaluate their support and satisfaction levels. Perhaps having some review method like that would help your future customers?

Mostly the advice I've read is avoid Eir, as if it goes wrong, it's a nightmare to resolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Galway	Moycullen	Fully Live	Q1'17		Early/Mid 17			Q1/Q2'17	240		470	80

OE are up to date on this, Eir are still on an old APQ. Address I'm working with will go from 4Mb to 150Mb - wont know what hit em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »
    OE are up to date on this, Eir are still on an old APQ. Address I'm working with will go from 4Mb to 150Mb - wont know what hit em.

There are a few in that area, that have been oddball ones. Listed as no ports available or long delays with licenses from CoCo.

But Eir retail being out of date on the APQ is quite common. They only seem to update once or twice a month now.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Good news for those worried about the new owners and the pace of the rural rollout. Looks like the urban investment will only happen after the rural one.

Eir, which announced plans last week to invest a further €1bn in its network infrastructure, has only a 20% share of Dublin’s retail broadband market.

The investment plan was sanctioned by Eir’s new majority owner, the French investment group NJJ Capital, and will include a significant upgrade of its fibre network in the city.

Carolan Lennon, Eir’s new chief executive, has told The Sunday Times that the upgrade of the urban network is likely to start later next year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/eir-scrums-down-to-boost-its-broadband-across-dublin-kh83v85v0

Since fibrerollout is no longer being updated I needed a new source of data. I have managed to come across such a source and have created two new trackers.

The first is a map of premises passed, both urban and rural, sorted by Eircode routing keys. There are 139 such keys nationwide. The map is here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I3WxEb2_z1UD2luFN11u0iC-AK3J0Kny&usp=sharing

The second is a spreadsheet of the routing keys with the total number of premises passed at the bottom.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jrY15Y8mZKWKgDQUZ9W5G92R2vY7Lda-Kbi-NT544m4/edit?usp=sharing

Both links are in my signature.

As of the 14th of November there were a total of 253012 premises passed by open eir.

That's great work @Navi. Thanks for all the effort.

Marlow has been saying that particularly at quarter end, the numbers tend to be artificially inflated. Do you have any handle on how many of these are 'order ready'.

From the data that he can avail of, he can't differentiate. So it is to be assumed that the data are quarter all inclusive.

It's still a pretty good indicator. Guestimation is the key here.

And the figures are inflated at quarter start, not quarter end :) Looks much better on the books that way.

/M

KOR101 wrote: »
    That's great work @Navi. Thanks for all the effort.

Marlow has been saying that particularly at quarter end, the numbers tend to be artificially inflated. Do you have any handle on how many of these are 'order ready'.

As Marlow said I don't have visibility into that.

I have added the SIRO data to both the map and the spreadsheet so they can be used to track the total progress of FTTH nationwide.

As of today there are 191847 premises passed by SIRO.

• Advertisement

I have added the SIRO data to both the map and the spreadsheet so they can be used to track the total progress of FTTH nationwide.

As of today there are 191847 premises passed by SIRO.
    Announced with Vodaphone's results. Go figure?

SIRO, Vodafone’s joint venture with the ESB, has now passed 200,000 premises, as it continues to build out its network across towns and cities in Ireland, the group said.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/revenue-up-at-vodafone-ireland-as-group-ceo-vows-to-cut-costs-37523040.html

Pssst :)

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/revenue-up-at-vodafone-ireland-as-group-ceo-vows-to-cut-costs-37523040.html
    "We remain focused on our strategic objectives of supporting the creation of a Gigabit Society in Ireland through the roll out of rural broadband via SIRO, which passed 200,000 premises during the period," Ms O’Leary added.

Really? Rural?

It might be interesting to see what her definition of 'rural' is!

:P

SIRO, Vodafone’s joint venture with the ESB, has now passed 200,000 premises, as it continues to build out its network across towns and cities in Ireland, the group said.

It could be over 200000 now as I don't know when the data I have was last updated or the frequency of the updates. As time goes on I'll have a better understanding of how often it changes.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It might be interesting to see what her definition of 'rural' is!

I find that "not Dublin" is often what's implied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I find that "not Dublin" is often what's implied.

Indeed, but not what is stated ...... which IMO has to be deliberate as I have found that, generally,people in such positions are not ignorant of the meanings of rural and urban, and how they should be used.

One could easily regard such statements as blatant lies, or at minimum, deliberately misleading, when providing statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Hmmm..vodafone broadband have a new popup in a shopping center in Kilkenny City, which is actually town sized...what I mean by that is it serves mainly the rural area

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Hmmm..vodafone broadband have a new popup in a shopping center in Kilkenny City, which is actually town sized...what I mean by that is it serves mainly the rural area

They do all of OpenEir now also. That's why. And it's coming up to Xmas.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Isolated Warrior

Hi, in the spreadsheet for cork newtownshandrum area. Fttc is covering that village. I'm in dromina a neighbouring village and we have nothing, no ftth or fttc. We are considered part of the Newtown exchange I'd you know what I mean. Cab in village is nsm_001 or something along those lines. Can you give me any info if and when we will get some kind of service. Thanks for reading

Hi, in the spreadsheet for cork newtownshandrum area. Fttc is covering that village. I'm in dromina a neighbouring village and we have nothing, no ftth or fttc. We are considered part of the Newtown exchange I'd you know what I mean. Cab in village is nsm_001 or something along those lines. Can you give me any info if and when we will get some kind of service. Thanks for reading

The spreadsheet only has FTTH data. There is no public data available for FTTC, so the spreadsheet and the map is useless to you, if you are looking for FTTC rollout figures.

Cabs have nothing to do with FTTH. They are FTTC .. (VDSL) only. So cab references don't tell you anything about FTTH rollout. Please don't confuse the two.

FTTH is fiber .. all the way. FTTC is just a fancy name for modern copper circuits.

/M

Understand completely the difference between the two. Just reading conflicting info in other threads that ftth will be in area before fttc is installed etc. I am just dying to know if and when we are getting anything in area.

Cab in village is nsm_001

Cab NSM1_001 is currently down for launch in 6-12 months. That's an estimate. But what service you will get will very much depend on the distance from the cab. It is VDSL, so a copper service.

We are maybe Max 700metres from cab

We are maybe Max 700metres from cab

44889866474_b63dcde504_o.png

At 700m+ you won't get more than 40 Mbit/s. But that's still better than nothing. The table above is the figures, that OpenEIR used to have on their website.

Depending on actual cable run, amount of joints and quality of cabling.

/M

I'd be happy with a stable 10 to be honest, it may be less than 700m to be fair. I appreciate the info.

• Advertisement

Looks like some properties in my area have been passed P56. Hoping against hope

It'd going to be a lumpy series from the look of it. The extra 4 in V93 is about right based on activity on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Looks like some properties in my area have been passed P56. Hoping against hope

We're in the same area. Don't know where the 7 are though :)

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but there are only 2 FTTH premises in P56. So the additional could have come from the way, the database navi is using, is merging data.

And those two in P56 are hanging off the Cobh and Ennistymon exchanges. So they are wrong or legacy data entry by OpenEIR.
    It'd going to be a lumpy series from the look of it. The extra 4 in V93 is about right based on activity on the ground.

We see that sort of thing all the time. They are gaps, wrongly merged premises etc. that get rectified on a weekly basis after a big update every quarter. No activity on the ground necessarily.

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but there are only 2 FTTH premises in P56. So the additional could have come from the way, the database navi is using, is merging data.

And those two in P56 are hanging off the Cobh and Ennistymon exchanges. So they are wrong or legacy data entry by OpenEIR.

That's quite amusing, one in East Cork & the other in Clare :)

I haven't seen any cable ran as of yet in the Charleville area, just alot of ducting work going on at the moment. Also construction work is taking place at the exchange. Presume its to do with the rollout. Can't see anything happening for a good while yet.

Over 200 premises around Charleville have been indexed for FTTH so far.

About half on the southside and the other half between Charleville and Ballyagran.

So that is most likely where the first premises will turn up, when the build is finished.

Charleville is part of the Rathluirc exchange with 470 premises planned under that exchange and it's still down for Q4/2018. So RFO dates may still turn up before the year is out.

Over 200 premises around Charleville have been indexed for FTTH so far.

About half on the southside and the other half between Charleville and Ballyagran.

So that is most likely where the first premises will turn up, when the build is finished.

They've been around us for the past few weeks. We're on the south side.
    Part of the road is included in the rollout & your site indicates they are including properties closer to the town, which is my location.
    The New Year will tell alot.

Edit, just saw the last piece of your post. Rathluirc & Charleville are the same place.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Rathluirc & Charleville are the same place.

OpenEIR is a bit inconsistent with the naming for exchanges (sometimes english, sometimes irish) and I'm not always aware of the irish variant of places. Apologies about that.

• Advertisement

OpenEIR is a bit inconsistent with the naming for exchanges (sometimes english, sometimes irish) and I'm not always aware of the irish variant of places. Apologies about that.

Sorry, I didn't mean it as a criticism. Sometimes people don't know they're the same place.
    The two names are used.

It's dromina village I'm in. Friend of mine stopped her car and spoke guys working near the village. They told her early next year. I'm really hopeful but so used to being disappointed at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Early next year could mean July

fritzelly wrote: »
    Early next year could mean July

If it was 1000% confirmed I'd be happy with that. The lack of info is so frustrating

If it was 1000% confirmed I'd be happy with that. The lack of info is so frustrating

OpenEIR are working of a database that goes back to the early 70s with no proper eircode integration. Even if they wanted to give us precise timelines, it would be hit an miss.

Their internal structures are equally ancient. But they have improved. Just not as much as we want.

At least eircodes have made things hell of a lot easier.

/M

open eir update. There are now 276900 premises passed. The map and spreadsheet have been updated.

Map:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I3WxEb2_z1UD2luFN11u0iC-AK3J0Kny&usp=sharing

Spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jrY15Y8mZKWKgDQUZ9W5G92R2vY7Lda-Kbi-NT544m4/edit?usp=sharing

At this rate I don't see how they hope to be finished by the end of June. Assuming 40000 pre-existing urban premises they would have to get to 340000 to meet the terms of the contract with DCCAE, 370000 if you include the extra 30000 they claim will be done.

• Advertisement

They have slowed down on their rollout on top of that.

In the last 3 months, they've passed a total of under 25k premises. That's nowhere near what they need to hit the target.

/M

I assume the numbers of premises passed includes the 'inflation' with many not really ready for order.

But anyway, wasn't December 2019 much more realistic all along. I could believe that for Kerry.

I assume the numbers of premises passed includes the 'inflation' with many not really ready for order.

But anyway, wasn't December 2019 much more realistic all along. I could believe that for Kerry.

I assume the inflation is in there but I have no way of knowing for sure. Unless the Department are doing physical spot checks on areas I don't see how they could know either. The Q4 2018 figures still haven't been published by DCCAE so maybe there is some argument there.

December does seem a more realistic finish at this stage.

In fact, my neighbour down the hill is an interesting case. The fibre was strung along the poles and one week later I was showing him the spools of fibre waiting for the DPs. Two weeks later his neighbour had it installed and live.

I told him I didn't think that was possible, but he just shrugged his shoulders and said this is Kerry.

Maybe a bit of deflation too, unless I'm completely misunderstanding things. It wouldn't be the first time.

Advertisement