Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I got in the post today!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Raoul wrote: »
    Razor looks lovely :)
    Ye it looks almost too good to use. Can't wait to shave with it tomorrow morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

hitemfrank wrote: »
    The stick I recieved was made in Feb 2012 and it still has tallow in it.

I've actually just opened the wrapper on the stick entirely in the hopes that the scent fades a little.

So I tried the Arko stick this morning. The scent was pretty mild once it was lathered on my face. It preformed well overall.

I don't think I would buy another one though. Palmolive shave sticks can be had much cheaper, locally and for me perform just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Arrived yesterday, will give her a try tonight...

9277205918_5c64514479.jpg

newkie wrote: »
    They really are worth the wait! I doubt many in Ireland have tried them but they are sensational. You might try emailing him, explain the situation, and give him a few days to respond and expedite. If you let him know the alternative is cancelling hopefully he'll prioritize you. He's just some dude doing this as a hobby and not a professional shop. That said it's proper craft soap which I'd put ahead of Mama Bear's soap any day.

For anyone in Ireland (or in case you order direct later): Buying more than 1 works out as better value since the shipping goes up only $4 for each extra tin topping out at $24 for 3 tins. If you buy 2 it works out at €15 / tin.

I have Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper and Vetiver on the way! The base soap is Tallow, Lanolin, & Kokum Butter. Very easy easy to lather with a rather wet brush.

Seems he has moved from New York to Michigan and has a bit of a back log.

He snubbed my email and Facebook post explaining my situation.

I'm sure the soaps will be great... If they get to my American pals in time, but I doubt I'll be rushing back given the total blanking I've received so far.

On a brighter note...

9301038915_7838ab2d4d.jpg

• Advertisement

Another new brush?

Aye... Brush addict... I confess.

I miss getting lots of new stuff in short time frames.

Just a splurge... first in a while. One more New Forest brush to showcase and I'm done.

Nice. I was looking at New Forest brushes a while ago and thinking of picking one up but convinced myself I want a Thater instead. Now shaving.ie has the Thater in stock that I want but I dont have the money for it right now.

Apparently my eye sight comes before shaving supplies :D

• Advertisement

Aye, spotted those... I'd sweat a bit over a €100 brush.. I'd rather spread the money over a multiple cheaper items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The New Forest brushes are great, and even better value. I've bought three from Peter since he started and all have proved excellent. They are the main brushes I use. Last I bought was two years back. Hmmm, maybe time to order another high mountain badger with a different handle.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Aye, spotted those... I'd sweat a bit over a €100 brush.. I'd rather spread the money over a multiple cheaper items.

I've already done that with the 3 cheap Semogue brushes I have. I like the styling of the Thahers more than the New Forest brushes.

Hopefully I'll be able to get it in a few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Maguires Barbershop opened back up recently and I placed a small order for Ogallala Bay Rum shaving soap sample and threw in a 59ml (2oz) cologne sample for £1 (one per order). I saw some mediocre reviews of the soap online alright but I figured it was worth it for the scent. While it lathered up better than I read, I was disappointed in the scent of the plain bay rum wasn't stronger. Still, nice to be able to get their stuff over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Got a Dovo Shavette, Taylor's Coconut Shaving Cream and a Bluebeards Revenge Pure Badger brush and stand in the post this morning, along with some freebie Shark DE blades. Will pop a pic up later. Had time for a shave with the shavette before work, using the Coconut shaving cream and the new brush, all felt great!!!

Just a couple from the bag of goodies my American pals brough over -

9393241708_4e4194fe9e.jpg

Let us know when you try out Mikes stuff.

Will do... not really due a shave until tomorrow but might pray to the hair Gods and squeeze one in tonight.

Got 5 Mama Bears and 3 Mikes... both sent a sample each also. They're sitting here on the desk in work... smell is amazing.

Hey you got the Mike's soap after all! Glad it worked out. Still waiting my latest order (your fault) but I did get a shipping notification via Paypal.

Will be very interested to hear your comparison of Mama Bears v Mikes.

Yep, just about came through in the end... the soaps took just under 3 weeks to arrive in Tennessee with a couple of days to spare.

• Advertisement

Ok, so I just tried the Mike's soap (Barbershop scent) and can confirm that it is a very, very good soap.

First up was a warm shower followed by a little Proraso pre-shave cream.

Lathering up was no problem, I used my New Forest Tubby 2 (hardware link belows) which I soaked whilst in the shower. After 45 seconds I had a good lather going, didn't need to add a much water and did no watering prep to the bar in advance.

The barbershop scent is mild but it's prescence is just about spot on.. it's there and it's really quite pleasant. Noticeable, but not stealing the show.

I used a Wilkinson Sword blade (purchased from Dunnes Stores yesterday just for the sake of giving them a try) and my Merkur Progress on the 3 setting. Three passes and I am completley irritation free, the lather was slick and offered excellent protection.

Typically my skin can get a little dry after the shower. Right now the only places that are dry are the areas where there was no soap applied.. my upper cheeks and forehead.

Getting back to the scent... it'd almost be a shame to apply aftershave or post shave balm right now... it really is pleasant and something you'd happily wear heading off out the door.

In summary - an excellent shave with a very, very good soap.

http://newforestbrushes.blogspot.ie/2011/11/new-forest-tubby-2.html
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Merkur-Progress.html
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Wilkinson-Sword-Razor-Blades.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I got Proraso Red and Proraso Pre shave cream green tea & oat. Even though the white label is suppose to be sensitive skin, i got the red because it says its for dry skin as well. Proraso costs like €8 a tub but this stuff feels much better then TOB for me, even though it doesn't have as rich as smell. Really rich lather and a great shave.

After evaluating my soap collection I couldn't believe I'd never tried Nanny's Silly Soaps. I got a tin of Arabian Nights plus some samples in yesterday. Man they're so soft they're hardly soap and I reckon will go through them quickly (which means on the plus side I can order more). I couldn't resist the Eucalyptus & Tea Tree sample and just had to give it a try. Very creamy, good scents, great lather, but for all that I'm not sure if it is up there with Mike's and DRH. Maybe I miss the tallow? That said, more research definitely required!

Any one else try them? How do they compare to your favourites?

Nanny's Silly Soaps are on my 'Want to Try List' but I have to get through some of the backlog of soaps and creams I have first.

To illustrate my point about a backlog of supplies here are some pictures. I would like to get through about of half the stuff in the pictures before buying more stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

hitemfrank, what sort of character does the Vostok have? Have you tried it..?

I'm in the same boat, more or less, with a 'pyramid' of Monsavon.

The character of Vostok? Menthol, menthol, menthol. Also quite a strong peppermint scent. It's a fairly hard cream.

I've not used the Vostok much (maybe 10 times) but I did use the Key Lime version made by the same company. It took a bit of getting used to but performs pretty well - I never got huge volumes of lather out of it but it was good enough for a three pass shave and was very slick.

As I used straight razors almost exclusively now, slickness is more important to me than really thick lather.

I could send you some if you're interested.

newkie wrote: »
    After evaluating my soap collection I couldn't believe I'd never tried Nanny's Silly Soaps. I got a tin of Arabian Nights plus some samples in yesterday. Man they're so soft they're hardly soap and I reckon will go through them quickly (which means on the plus side I can order more). I couldn't resist the Eucalyptus & Tea Tree sample and just had to give it a try. Very creamy, good scents, great lather, but for all that I'm not sure if it is up there with Mike's and DRH. Maybe I miss the tallow? That said, more research definitely required!

Any one else try them? How do they compare to your favourites?

I've been using Nanny's for the last couple of years and have recommended to friends who also find them great. I probably use the range for 5 shaves out of every 7 - only using other creams/soaps the other 2 days for a bit of variety. I have her soft soaps (like Italian soap in consistency), the hard soaps and her newish olive oil range.
    They all provide great cushion, glide and leave the skin feeling fresh and well moisturized with no real need for a balm after. I highly recommend any with goats milk as an ingredient. Scent wise, I tend to stick to her variations around lemon/lime/citrus.

I've been using Nanny's for the last couple of years and have recommended to friends who also find them great. I probably use the range for 5 shaves out of every 7 - only using other creams/soaps the other 2 days for a bit of variety. I have her soft soaps (like Italian soap in consistency), the hard soaps and her newish olive oil range.
    They all provide great cushion, glide and leave the skin feeling fresh and well moisturized with no real need for a balm after. I highly recommend any with goats milk as an ingredient. Scent wise, I tend to stick to her variations around lemon/lime/citrus.

FFS.. now I'm going to have to try this.. and my stash is as big as hitemfrank's.

hitemfrank wrote: »
    I would like to get through about of half the stuff in the pictures before buying more stuff.

I bought a tube of Ingram cream today. I feel like such a failure :(

Think I'll try it out tomorrow though :D

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    FFS.. now I'm going to have to try this.. and my stash is as big as hitemfrank's.

:)

The great thing about Nanny's compared to other artisan makers I've tried is that she constantly improves her formulas based on feedback from real shavers. Whilst her early works wasn't great she constantly sent out samples to DE and straight users on other fora and really listened to feedback and tweaked the product to ensure it really does what's needed.

I knew I was buying too much shaving gear a few months back when Chris told a mutual friend I probably had more stock than him!

Advertisement