Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Mess - Military Forum Off Topic Thread!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

One while on the ground they came up with this great idea of not giving us ration packs and instead fed us from hotlocks. And they even forgot about that. Chicken a la king tastes sh1te when it's cold.

Reminds me of a guy who pitched up on an exercise once with only one mess tin when we were being sorted with similar but with the added bonus of a pudding as well....you guessed it, all in the one messtin!!! All goes down the one way eh.:) he said it looked like cat puke so thats what we'd ask for everytime after that.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Craigsy wrote: »
    Can you go for a cadetship if you're married or does it disqualify you?
    Poccington wrote: »
    You most certainly can still apply for a Cadetship.

Once you have got permission on your CO .ie. the wife:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lily_white08

Date: Saturday 06 February 2010

Time: 20.00

Please info training NCO's involved with 46/47 Plns and other personnel who may be overseas or discharged.

Event details/contact details are posted on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=app_2344061033&ref=profile&id=503813983#/event.php?eid=221503117928&index=1

I hope everyone had a peaceful and pleasant Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Celticboy

Did you ever have any luck with this song?

HAPPY NEWYEAR!!!:D

Rock on 2010!!!! Happy New Year you lot.....Let the drinking begin!! :D

Peace to you and yours in the Mil. Forums. And all you lot busy overseas, Be safe.

Iceage.

Happy New Year you lot!!!!

Have a good one all,especially the men and women overseas!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Gunny Hartman

Just thinking about it there lads we sorted out the floods, we got stuck into the snow... When the summer rolls around we better organise wet t-shirt competitions. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Celticboy

did you ever get the words?

• Advertisement

Having the most amazing conversation on a certain sporting subject within boards at the minute............

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

iceage wrote: »
    Reminds me of a guy who pitched up on an exercise once with only one mess tin when we were being sorted with similar but with the added bonus of a pudding as well....you guessed it, all in the one messtin!!! All goes down the one way eh.:) he said it looked like cat puke so thats what we'd ask for everytime after that.:)

Can ya remember what you were given? On the brightside at least if they were both hot they would have stayed warmer longer! He would have had the last laugh!:p

Oldies but goodies..

Grizzled old Sgt Maj

The Army found they had too many personnel and decided to offer an early retirement bonus. They promised any one who volunteered for retirement a bonus of £1,000 for every inch measured in a straight line between any two points in his body. The officer got to choose what those two points would be.

The first officer who accepted asked that he be measured from the top of his head to the tip of his toes. He was measured at six feet and walked out with a bonus of £72,000.

The second officer who accepted was a little smarter and asked to be measured from the tip of his outstretched hands to his toes. He walked out with £96,000.

The third one was a non-commissioned officer, a grizzled old Sergeant Major who, when asked where he would like to be measured replied, 'From the tip of my todger to my testicles.' It was suggested by the pension man that he might want to reconsider; explaining about the nice big cheques the previous two officers had received. But the old Sergeant Major insisted and they decided to go along with him providing the measurement was taken by a medical officer.

The medical officer arrived and instructed the Sergeant Major to 'drop 'em,' which he did. The medical officer placed the tape measure on the tip of the Sergeant Major's todger and began to work back. Dear Lord!' he suddenly exclaimed, 'Where are your testicles?'

The old Sergeant Major replied,............ ' Basra .'

I know, I know......one more.

The Pentagon announced TODAY the formation of a new 500-man elite fighting unit called the United States Redneck Special Forces (USRSF)
    These boys will be dropped off in Afghanistan and have been given only the following facts about terrorists :

1. The season opened today.
    2. There is no limit.
    3. They taste just like chicken.
    4. They don't like beer, pickups, country music or Jesus.
    5. They are directly responsible for the death of Dale Earnhardt.
    6. They think Daisy Duke is a slut.

The Pentagon hopes the problem in Afghanistan to be over by Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Just a few questions about army cadets (or rather herself has a few questions ;) )

Am i right in saying you only get Sunday off?

Do you get any leave other than Christmas?

Are there communication facilities? i.e. phone and email

And you do live on base yeah?

Do you have to live on site after commissioning?

Are the answers to those questions any different if asked in relation to a married man?

Cheers in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 menapia

This is a long shot but does anyone out there remember 6th platoon Support Coy. Cathal Brugha 1973.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Craigsy wrote: »
    Just a few questions about army cadets (or rather herself has a few questions ;) )

Am i right in saying you only get Sunday off?

Do you get any leave other than Christmas?

Are there communication facilities? i.e. phone and email

And you do live on base yeah?

Do you have to live on site after commissioning?

Are the answers to those questions any different if asked in relation to a married man?

Cheers in advance

Bit late getting to this but anyway...

1. You don't get the day off in a walking around the Curragh in civvie's having the craic kinda way but Sunday is usually a handier day. Depending on who the Orderly Sergeant for the day is.

2. Weekend passes and evening/day passes are granted at the discretion of your CO. Tradition seems to be that your first bit of leave is at Christmas. Then once you become the Senior Class, it usually seems to be that you get one weekend pass a month, on top of the odd day and evening pass.

3. You can bring your own phone with you, assuming you own one. Although it may not always be available to you, you will have it.

4. You'll be staying in the Cadet School for the duration of your Cadetship.

5. No, although that depends on where you end up based really.

6. From what I know, no they're not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Thanks for that poccington,

do you know how long the cadetship is? I always thought it was 15 months but in the last issue of an cosantoir it said "14 month course".

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 hippoman

Us Vikings are just misunderstood :pac:
    so is the church and look at them:p

Lads check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haHXgFU7qNI&feature=player_embedded

LOL some good drills.:D

Haha!

Found this one way back,have a load more aswell:

And Another :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 cjohnenglish

well everyone ive a few questions...

as of right now i'm a sgt in the american army...i get out in a year or so and really want to move back home. is the pdf recruiting right now? also, would i have to start as a private you think or do you think they'd let me stay as a sergeant (6 years active duty, 1 1/2 years in iraq).

what does the cadetship program require, a college degree? i havent got one but im interested in pursuing the program if they're recruiting.

thanks in advance

up da deise!

• Advertisement

Manic Moran, if you happen by Iraq anytime soon you should take this kid back home with ya!!

Whoever thought Poitin was suitable for human congestion obviously had a taste for paint stripper and dementia! I havent stopped sweating for the last 2 days and I am convinced there is someone hiding in my room watching me!!!!

Never again :(

Lololololol. How do I put this without hurting your feeling dude.....ya fcuking Eejit.:p

Mate of mine swears by it, but he uses it as a muscle rub down.:pac: For god sake don't stike a match anywhere near yourself for at least the next 48 hrs.

Lololololol. How do I put this without hurting your feeling dude.....ya fcuking Eejit.:p

Mate of mine swears by it, but he uses it as a muscle rub down.:pac: For god sake don't stike a match anywhere near yourself for at least the next 48 hrs.

Haha! I know!

I know of plenty of people who use it for muscle and joint pain,its mad stuff!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0608/army.html

Just seen this today.

Do you think that the numbers involved are small,or is their much change from before A7 was introduced?

Interesting that 37 complaints relate to promotion procedures.

Has anybody here serving or previously served encountered such problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

A maximum of 0.29% of the PDF or a maximum of 0.19% of the DF reported bullying - that's pretty darned low.

PDF taken at 10,500
    Total DF taken at 16,000
    These figures assume one complaint per individual, if one person submitted several complaints it would bring the percentages down (slightly)

Lets get a bit of banter started in here,World Cup starts in 10 minutes.

Who's your tip for it?

For me Italy,they always do well with a scandal going on at home!

And USA will beat England.

And I think Ivory Coast will go far enough.

4 weeks of football,nice!

So,did anybody here watch the football today or am I the only one interested in it? :(

The World Cup has been shocking so far.

However, get in there New Zealand!

In fairness I think there has been some good games as well as crap ones! It is kinda expected with the first games in a group too,lose the first game and the pressure is on.

North Korea put up some fight today though!

Anyway,come on the Italians :D

• Advertisement

Football was never my thing, so the Wold Cup can come and go and I'd not be too upset but...WTF is England playing at? My local town U12 football team would have given a better proformance than theirs last night. And in particular Rooney....what is the story whith him? Looked like he just couldn't be bothered going for some of the passes:confused:

I forgot how good crisp sandwiches are!!!!

Hunky Dory Chedder Cheese and Onion :)

I forgot how good crisp sandwiches are!!!!

Hunky Dory Chedder Cheese and Onion :)

I'm more of a King man when it comes to the crisp sandwiches!

I'm more of a King man when it comes to the crisp sandwiches!

Jesus,I wouldent venture near crisp unless they are McCoys with a few drinks,Bacon fries,again with drinks or Rancheros for any occasion!

I was never a man for King crisps but every mess in the country seems to have enough to give away for free!

Does anyone else remember them Sam Spudz crips? The smokey Bacon version they did was amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Jesus lads enough your making me homesick.

The crisps here are not great, you cam get tayto from an irish pub in the CBD but for like 3 dollars a bag...

Tayto are not worth 3 cent a bag imo!

Sure if ya want we can start a collection and send them over to ya!

On a more serious note,I heard the tea situation over there is catastrophic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Its not great

Nerada is the closest we got to good tea. The standard tea bag has that stupid string on it like 80% of all the tea on the shelves has a string.

Lucky the wife has her relies all set and we recieve a care package of Pratts tea from Belfast. A good northern tea made from tea shavings collected on the docks.

Making me bloody hungry now all this talk of Tayto sandwiches...I'm trying to cook a Spagbol. NOW I have to make a sandwich while I cooking!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Before I got into the whole "body is my temple" lark :P I used to be fond of a ham and salt and vinnegar king crisp sambos. Or was even known to venture into dangerous territory and sample the likes of chip stick or monster munch on brennans!

• Advertisement

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Before I got into the whole "body is my temple" lark :P I used to be fond of a ham and salt and vinnegar king crisp sambos. Or was even known to venture into dangerous territory and sample the likes of chip stick or monster munch on brennans!

One of the reasons why Sunday is my favourite day of the week is that I get to pig out after a week of training twice a day.

Everybody should have one fat day a week. Fact :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Capt Blackadder

I never do it normally, but I nearly died of shock when I did. I bought a Yorkie bar in the local shop. Cost me one whole Euro. No wonder kids these days are so screwed up. Paying a Euro for a normal chocolate bar. Mad. Whatever goes into a crisp sambo, it has to be salt and vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

Nah the one Euro hit me when I bought my staple chocolate bar the Dairy Milk now that was a shock! And i'm still not over it to this day! Thank God for multipacks. The main weight in my vest out on the ground is chocolate bars!

Pocc one fat day a week? no where near enough! EVERY day's a fat day! :D

Yeah cheat days are a must to stay sane! The choc covered mint cake is still the canines wobbly bits but its amazing how hi-tec the sugar delivery systems are getting these days. Load of the lads are on this type of stuff these days http://www.maxifuel.com/viperactivebars

Fits into the pouch a lot easier than a cisp sambo wrapped in tinfoil!

Yeah cheat days are a must to stay sane! The choc covered mint cake is still the canines wobbly bits but its amazing how hi-tec the sugar delivery systems are getting these days. Load of the lads are on this type of stuff these days http://www.maxifuel.com/viperactivebars

Fits into the pouch a lot easier than a cisp sambo wrapped in tinfoil!

I never do it normally, but I nearly died of shock when I did. I bought a Yorkie bar in the local shop.

http://www.fototime.com/9F341F5CE3EA2D2/orig.jpg :D

• Advertisement

Since I joined the RDF, I've only eaten 2 Yorkies. Probably way more before that. Still looking for the one they made years ago with nuts. The Nutter was what they called it. Now that was a bar.

Nestl&#233 wrote:
    I’ve been looking in the shops for these Confectionery lines and can’t seem to find them anymore, where are they sold? Are they still available?
    Bunny Tots, Candy Tots, Tiger Tots, Cabana, Caramel Wafer, Coffee Matchmakers, Golden Cup, Good News, Maverick, Mint Cracknell, Novo, Nutty, Pretzel Flipz, Prize, Reward, Secret, Splicer, Texan, Vice Versas, Coffee Walnut Whip, Yes cake bars, Yorkie Almond, Nutter, Honeycomb, Peanut.

We are sorry to inform you that the products listed above have been withdrawn from our range due to the high cost of production and the relatively low level of sales. We would like to assure you that the decision to withdraw any product is reached only with great reluctance and we regret any disappointment this product's absence has caused you.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Bacon Cheddar burger, chips and a strawberry shake in Eddie Rockets is usually my fat day bit of grub.

Nom nom nom :D

LADS!!!!! FFS. I running a HM tomorrow, I've been training for weeks, sweating blood and tears overcoming injury and suffering the aches and pains of oldbastiditis I've been watchimng what i've been eating and I'm bloody ravenous as it is, don't get me started on the fact I haven't had a guinness for days.......

Yorkie bars with nuts and Eddie Rockets you say......Hmmmmm. :P I'm going to be in some mess tomorrow night guys!!!:D

LADS!!!!! FFS. I running a HM tomorrow, I've been training for weeks, sweating blood and tears overcoming injury and suffering the aches and pains of oldbastiditis I've been watchimng what i've been eating and I'm bloody ravenous as it is, don't get me started on the fact I haven't had a guinness for days.......

Yorkie bars with nuts and Eddie Rockets you say......Hmmmmm. :P I'm going to be in some mess tomorrow night guys!!!:D

Ah jesus Iceagae,why did ya not tell us that earlier?! We could have done all the eating for ya!!!!

Best of luck tomorrow too!

Havent eaten in Eddie Rockets in years,lovely spot though! We dont have Eddies up this part of the country,we have 4 lanterns,Big 4 with extra big 4 sauce,no beating it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement