Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anybody know anything about the Disco? On trial?

Speaking of which I saw a previous model Discovery in use with the Coast Guard.

Coast Guard has a few and so does Civil Defense.

Seen order of Malta with 1 or 2 also.

Amazing to see they still have 2007 fiestas, focus and mondeos knocking about. And of course still some older ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Coast Guard has a few and so does Civil Defense.

Seen order of Malta with 1 or 2 also.

You would get nearly 2 LWB Pajero's for the cost of a Disco!

You would get nearly 2 LWB Pajero's for the cost of a Disco!

Even though the Pajero is now so old I still really like them.

Few cop ones going around, look very well with full reflective gear.

Seen one yesterday on call on Eden quay, siren sounded good.

Sirens on BMW X5, Audi Q7 are absolutely Sh1te.

I can believe they done nothing with the i30 and i40 unmarked units as you can't see the lights in the day and near impossible at night.

I believe that Land Rover is attached to the Water Unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

foreign wrote: »
    I believe that Land Rover is attached to the Water Unit.

I was thinking the same judging by the pulley hook on the front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

kub wrote: »
    I was thinking the same judging by the pulley hook on the front of it.

It is some more Gucci fleet coming that way

New Year, new cars and all that.

How long more is the Hyundai contract for or will we see new vehicle brands this year for general policing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

New Year, new cars and all that.

How long more is the Hyundai contract for or will we see new vehicle brands this year for general policing?

Is the contract on basis of number of cars or is it on basis of getting a general contract to be main supplier of "general garda cars" for X amount of years.

If you have a contract for 300 general Garda cars from Hyundai - have taken on 200 - and need an extra 300 cars.

I cant see what would stop you ordering 200 of the 300 cars elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

6 tenders went out for cars last year, Hyundai won 4 of the 6. Skoda won 2 of them, 1 for a higher powered car, not clear whether it's a Superb or an Octavia VRS

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=116281&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=2&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

infacteh wrote: »
    6 tenders went out for cars last year, Hyundai won 4 of the 6. Skoda won 2 of them, 1 for a higher powered car, not clear whether it's a Superb or an Octavia VRS

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=116281&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=2&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

The small family saloon from Skoda surely couldn't be the Rapid ?

It would be nice to see something like the skoda assigned to roads policing.

Also great to see that management listened to the frontline coppers when they said the Hyundai was not fit for purpose! :rolleyes:

It would be nice to see something like the skoda assigned to roads policing.

Also great to see that management listened to the frontline coppers when they said the Hyundai was not fit for purpose! :rolleyes:

Not only do they think the i30/40 high powered 1.7 diesel is suitable for roads policing but so is the Tucson it seems...... Bit laughable really.

High powered....... Also laughable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Not only do they think the i30/40 high powered 1.7 diesel is suitable for roads policing but so is the Tucson it seems...... Bit laughable really.

In fairness the Tuscon is 180bhp so its a step up from the i40s.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Is the contract on basis of number of cars or is it on basis of getting a general contract to be main supplier of "general garda cars" for X amount of years.

If you have a contract for 300 general Garda cars from Hyundai - have taken on 200 - and need an extra 300 cars.

I cant see what would stop you ordering 200 of the 300 cars elsewhere.

Each tender is for a certain amount of cars, e.g. 40 cars. AFAIK each tender can then be renewed a maximum of 2 times, therefore you can get a max of 120 cars from a 40 car tender before you have to go out to tender again.

In the link I posted above:

Lot 1 - 60 cars - Small Family Estate - Hyundai - €832620 ex VAT

Lot 2 - 40 cars - Small Family Saloon - Skoda - €802,600 ex VAT

Lot 3 - 30 cars - Large Family Estate 60kw-80kw - Hyundai - €476,460 ex VAT

Lot 4 - 30 cars - Large Family Estate > 80kw - Skoda - €705,660 ex VAT

Lot 5 - 25 cars - Large Family Saloon or Hatchback 60-80kw - Hyundai - €304,120 ex VAT

Lot 6 - 25 cars - Large Family Saloon or Hatchback - Hyundai - €390,100 ex VAT

The Tuscons were a separate tender I believe

What is roads policing from a Garda prospective though.

In the UK part of their roads policing philosophy is that criminals use the roads so they have a focus on getting criminals caught etc.

They use cars like 530 BMWs or 3.0 Audis to keep up with the bad guys. Helicopters available too in many areas.

And you might line up 3 530s or a few X5s for some TPAC with someone behind them slowing the traffic so cars behind dont run into the back of a TPAC that ahem didn't go quite to plan.

In Ireland using a 1.7 diesel Hyundai indicates that roads policing is pulling a young guy for no L plates or checking for seat belts and tyres.

Or helping the RSA on the truck side of things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Old diesel wrote: »
    What is roads policing from a Garda prospective though.

In the UK part of their roads policing philosophy is that criminals use the roads so they have a focus on getting criminals caught etc.

They use cars like 530 BMWs or 3.0 Audis to keep up with the bad guys. Helicopters available too in many areas.

And you might line up 3 530s or a few X5s for some TPAC with someone behind them slowing the traffic so cars behind dont run into the back of a TPAC that ahem didn't go quite to plan.

In Ireland using a 1.7 diesel Hyundai indicates that roads policing is pulling a young guy for no L plates or checking for seat belts and tyres.

Or helping the RSA on the truck side of things

How often do the Garda get out run ? Realistically ?
    I don't meet as many Gaurds as I used to , but being out run was never top of their problems except for a certain roaming aggravated burglary gang which they used more intelligent means to catch.

I agree with the decades old policy of the Garda not using flashy motors for their marked fleet , except for special operations and armed response,less flash leads to less disconnect with a majority of the public, and has the side effect of saving money.

Also having talked to serving members , the auld Hyundai's held up better in service after 3 years than the slagging they got at the start.

Good to see skoda coming on stream though as well for a benchmark.

Bigus wrote: »
    How often do the Garda get out run ? Realistically ?
    I don't meet as many Gaurds as I used to , but being out run was never top of their problems except for a certain roaming aggravated burglary gang which they used more intelligent means to catch.

I agree with the decades old policy of the Garda not using flashy motors for their marked fleet , except for special operations and armed response,less flash leads to less disconnect with a majority of the public, and has the side effect of saving money.

Also having talked to serving members , the auld Hyundai's held up better in service after 3 years than the slagging they got at the start.

Good to see skoda coming on stream though as well for a benchmark.

I was assuming that Punisher5112s thinking of roads policing is what it is in the UK.

I thought it was reasonable to wonder what the AGS thinking as an organisation regarding roads policing is.

Car choice indicates that management view roads policing somewhat differently to the UK.

Going on car choice you would have to assume that Irish roads policing is basic traffic enforcement.

If it's about going criminal intercepts on the road - you need a better car.

Along with superior training and what have you."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Got a brief glimpse of a marked RP hatchback on Pembroke St, looked like a Hyundai Ionic but couldn't catch it to get reg or photo. Might catch it on charge outside Pearse St...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Mooretaxi

Roads policing hybrid Hyundai ionic was displayed at the young scientists show,suppose it’ll only be used in city centers

Mooretaxi wrote: »
    Roads policing hybrid Hyundai ionic was displayed at the young scientists show,suppose it’ll only be used in city centers

I'd say it'll be used as frequently as the i3 BMW. And the Segways.

I'd say it'll be used as frequently as the i3 BMW. And the Segways.

Gathering a lot of dust them.

Also the few M5 bought back a good few years ago.

Gathering a lot of dust them.

Also the few M5 bought back a good few years ago.

M5?

M5?

Sitting in storage never used.

They may well be gone now but they had a number of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

When? Certainly not in the last 10 years

They got 5 series tourers for traffic corps. Not rolled out yet I believe and some being used by driving school in Templemore.

When? Certainly not in the last 10 years

Around 2006-2007

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Spanish Guardia Civil, new Alfa Romeo Stevio, Jeep Compass Seat Leon ST. https://www.caranddriver.es/coches/planeta-motor/guardia-civil-renueva-alfa-romeo-stelvio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Re the ASU video, the sirens are truly pathetic on those things.

Advertisement