Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 3 (2018 Campaign)

Options
  • 03-09-2018 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

New thread for the interview.

Officially booked in for 3 weeks time.

How will ye all prepare? I think now is the time to get onto any guards ye know, especially recently recruited ones.
    Will there be a career services course? I'm not too sure how they could prepare that many people for something so individualised, and I'm not too sure it would be a good idea taking it if there was one.

Have to say I'm getting excited now. If we get through this, the medical & fitness surely won't be long after, and if your vetting gets done in a reasonable time there's every chance we could be all signed off for the 2nd quarter of next year, as was promised! Definitely optimistic, but even to be signed off by the July intake would be amazing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

New thread for the interview.

Officially booked in for 3 weeks time.

How will ye all prepare? I think now is the time to get onto any guards ye know, especially recently recruited ones.
    Will there be a career services course? I'm not too sure how they could prepare that many people for something so individualised, and I'm not too sure it would be a good idea taking it if there was one.

Have to say I'm getting excited now. If we get through this, the medical & fitness surely won't be long after, and if your vetting gets done in a reasonable time there's every chance we could be all signed off for the 2nd quarter of next year, as was promised! Definitely optimistic, but even to be signed off by the July intake would be amazing.

Don’t we have to get a few things to prepare and talk about on the day? Might come in the next few days.

I’m hoping there will be a course to help and give some tips. Jaysus, what do we even wear?

I’ve heard medical/fitness could be dec/Jan. I need some time for fitness anyway, I’ll have to push it harder now lol.

I don’t know any newish guards ffs, would it be odd to call to the local station and ask to talk to anyone new there hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

leheaven wrote: »
    Don’t we have to get a few things to prepare and talk about on the day? Might come in the next few days.

I’m hoping there will be a course to help and give some tips. Jaysus, what do we even wear?

I’ve heard medical/fitness could be dec/Jan. I need some time for fitness anyway, I’ll have to push it harder now lol.

I don’t know any newish guards ffs, would it be odd to call to the local station and ask to talk to anyone new there hehe.

Yeah we get a list of 4-5 competencies, so knowing them like the back of your hand and being able to talk about them takes a bit of pressure off. I need to sort out my paperwork, put it all on the back burner, leaving results, birth cert etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

As said above there are the 4-5 competencies.

Any interview course would be beneficial. Even the videos on YouTube are helpful. One of the most useful pieces of advice I've been given - relate every question to the job you're seeking. For example, interviewers often start with "tell me a bit about yourself," they're not looking to hear how many dogs and cats you have. Keep it relevant.

Formal wear. Suit for men and the equivalent for women.

Yea I'm sure someone would be happy to talk to you, not hugely important though, I was more just saying it if you do happen to know someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

little tip for if you drive practice out loud your answers when driving alone helps prepare you as answers in your head rarely come out the same way orally. the more you practise out loud the less robotic you sound and also less likely to stumble and tits up your answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BullLegend

It says that they are taking on the first 137 in September and I am placed 541 so how long will it take for me to be called up or will ever be called up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

BullLegend wrote: »
    It says that they are taking on the first 137 in September and I am placed 541 so how long will it take for me to be called up or will ever be called up?

You will be called up. You passed Stage 2 so you will get an Interview. I am mid 400s. It just means you will be called up in a later batch. Don't worry about it. Use the extra time to practice and even work on your fitness if you need to for further stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Mod please remove if not suitable.

Pre-interview course offered, based in Limerick near UL. PM for details.

Has anyone received the familiarisation material yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Anyone going to Stage 3 would be best off getting the info for Form B and other bits together now rather than waiting till you get it;

Names, last known addresses, DOB's, occupations of every blood relative back to grandparents on both sides of your family, if you're married or cohabiting you'll need the same for your partner's relatives.
    Original long form birth cert
    Leaving Cert results
    Every address you've lived at and the dates you were there
    Previous employment details
    Two referees
    One Garda referee(not mandatory)

2 passport photos

Other bits too but they'll be your main ones that might require some footwork or research.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Uweir32

Does anyone have any good links to what the competencies are etc for the interview?

• Advertisement

Uweir32 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any good links to what the competencies are etc for the interview?

Should have got an email this am with the competencies and familiarisation material!

Where can I find Form B guys? I want to be pro-active, I'm in the mid 400s and don't have a date for the interview yet but if anyone has a link to it that would be great, I have a lot of uncles and aunts .. .

bottar1 wrote: »
    Where can I find Form B guys? I want to be pro-active, I'm in the mid 400s and don't have a date for the interview yet but if anyone has a link to it that would be great, I have a lot of uncles and aunts .. .

Form B is sent with the familiarisation material for stage 3. Basically, the info you will need is name, address including postcode, DOB and occupation!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Form B is sent with the familiarisation material for stage 3. Basically, the info you will need is name, address including postcode, DOB and occupation!

You only need the post codes if the address in Northern IRL or England. I went through wile bother to get ones, Iv family all over the country and when I handed in my form B the lady told me I didn't need them for Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 oliverstjohn

Hi All,
    Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the interview as Gaeilge. Is the whole interview in Irish or is it part of it? I have searched for information and can't find any details,
    Thanks a million
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Just wondering if anyone might know what the original 'item' for our degree is that we need to bring to the interview?
    Also, is it a necessary document? Or is just the leaving cert results?
    I'm a primary school teacher, so I wouldn't actually be able to teach anyway unless I had the degree. The only sort of form I have is that latin scroll we were given on graduation day.
    You'd think they could do all this online! Have already had to re-order a birth cert and leaving cert results.

BullLegend wrote: »

To be honest, I’d say they’ll do it a similar way to the way stage 2 is going. Atm some are called for stage 3 while others are still sitting stage 2. Another hundred or so will prob be called after the 137, depending on the amount getting through the interview, the less getting through the more they’ll call people who’ve passed stage 2.

So I’ve been going through the material for stage 3. Form B is gonna difficult for me. On my mothers side of the family, I have like 16 aunts and uncles, some have passed, grandparents have also passed. Anyone know how I can their D.O.B etc?? Not a lot of records were kept for the older siblings as some were born at home and things. Like I’ve aunts who are twins but celebrate diff days because they are not sure which one it is. I don’t know my fathers side at all, he is not on my birth cert so would I still have to include him and his side? I understand I’d have about 11 aunts and uncles on that side, some also passed, I wouldn’t even know who to get in contact with to get their info.

We were sent form B through our PAS email. Not sure if it’s online somewhere as we are supposed to keep things confidential. I’m in a similar situation regarding have a lot of aunts and uncles!

So I’ve been going through the material for stage 3. Form B is gonna difficult for me. On my mothers side of the family, I have like 16 aunts and uncles, some have passed, grandparents have also passed. Anyone know how I can their D.O.B etc?? Not a lot of records were kept for the older siblings as some were born at home and things. Like I’ve aunts who are twins but celebrate diff days because they are not sure which one it is. I don’t know my fathers side at all, he is not on my birth cert so would I still have to include him and his side? I understand I’d have about 11 aunts and uncles on that side, some also passed, I wouldn’t even know who to get in contact with to get their info.

I think you just fill it out to the best of your ability. I'm in similar boat with my mother's family and my grandfather is also a twin who's sister has a different birthday!! Couldn't make it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Your grandmother must have been a mighty woman to rear 16 kids! You poor thing...

The General Registry Office Research Room in Dublin has a record of births, deaths and marriages. Think it's 20euro for the day. Then there are baptismal records kept in some parishes. Then there are websites like findmypast and irishgenealogy. It is tough going but can be done.

I'd bring your birthcert and show it to see if you have to put your dad down but I'd say if you know his name and have had any contact with him in your life ever then the answer will be yes.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Your grandmother must have been a mighty woman to rear 16 kids! You poor thing...

The General Registry Office Research Room in Dublin has a record of births, deaths and marriages. Think it's 20euro for the day. Then there are baptismal records kept in some parishes. Then there are websites like findmypast and irishgenealogy. It is tough going but can be done.

I'd bring your birthcert and show it to see if you have to put your dad down but I'd say if you know his name and have had any contact with him in your life ever then the answer will be yes.

Haha, that she was!

Thanks for all that info, I will look into them. I think it would be best to get as much info as I can on the form anyway. Ordering my L.C results as well today because they disappeared. I’ve everything but them.

As for my dads side, I’m sill unsure. Might be best to leave them alone while. I don’t even know my relatives names.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 foam

Hi All,
    Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the interview as Gaeilge. Is the whole interview in Irish or is it part of it? I have searched for information and can't find any details,
    Thanks a million
    D

If its the section 3 interview it's in English. What makes you think it's in Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

foam wrote: »
    If its the section 3 interview it's in English. What makes you think it's in Irish?

If you apply for the Irish stream thr interview will be in Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 foam

Haha, that she was!

Thanks for all that info, I will look into them. I think it would be best to get as much info as I can on the form anyway. Ordering my L.C results as well today because they disappeared. I’ve everything but them.

As for my dads side, I’m sill unsure. Might be best to leave them alone while. I don’t even know my relatives names.

If there is any info missing they will contact you to supply it, so the sooner that you start looking for it the better. It can be a pain, I'm from the June 17 campaign and had to ask my partner to track down her grandfathers details. He left her fathers mother years ago and died aboard. She had to track down his other family to get the details.

foam wrote: »
    If there is any info missing they will contact you to supply it, so the sooner that you start looking for it the better. It can be a pain, I'm from the June 17 campaign and had to ask my partner to track down her grandfathers details. He left her fathers mother years ago and died aboard. She had to track down his other family to get the details.

In regards to partner, does anyone know what they consider partner? I've been going out with a girl for 3 months, we don't live together, surely I don't have to put her down?

She's from another country so that would definitely delay/complicate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,519 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

In regards to partner, does anyone know what they consider partner? I've been going out with a girl for 3 months, we don't live together, surely I don't have to put her down?

She's from another country so that would definitely delay/complicate things.

Are you living together?

If you are you'll need to put her down on it.

Strider wrote: »
    Are you living together?

Not living together.

Also as regards aunts an uncles, I assume I just need to put down my mothers sister (my aunt) and I don't need also her husbands details?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Lmklad

Strider wrote: »
    Are you living together?

Not living together.

Also as regards aunts an uncles, I assume I just need to put down my mothers sister (my aunt) and I don't need also her husbands details?

Your mother and fathers brothers and sisters, their spouses and children. That is, all your aunts and uncles (natural and by marriage) and all first cousins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Lmklad wrote: »
    Your mother and fathers brothers and sisters, their spouses and children. That is, all your aunts and uncles (natural and by marriage) and all first cousins

Are you talking about the BR form here?

Advertisement