Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Got an offer for a Level 9 Certificate in TU Dublin that I'll likely accept this afternoon. Was considering 1 or 2 others (hadn't applied), but happy to go with one I was offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Level 8 cert in SligoIT beginning in Sept. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Accepted a PgDip in Pharma Validation last week - should be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

Anyone have any views on the NCI (National College of Ireland) or IADT (Institute of Art and Design and Technology)?

I’m considering doing a PGDip Level 9.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Juicyfruit

Amirani wrote: »
    Got an offer for a Level 9 Certificate in TU Dublin that I'll likely accept this afternoon. Was considering 1 or 2 others (hadn't applied), but happy to go with one I was offered.

Congrats! Can I ask how long you were waiting to hear back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Proferoxa

Has anyone heard back about any of the HCI courses offered by UL?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Proferoxa wrote: »
    Has anyone heard back about any of the HCI courses offered by UL?

My wife applied to UL for a Springboard course a couple of weeks ago and has heard nothing back. I got a Springboard course through UL last year and I was waiting a month for a response.

From my limited knowledge of UL, they appear to wait until the closing date has passed before making offers whereas other institutions make offers well in advance of their closing dates.

Juicyfruit wrote: »
    Congrats! Can I ask how long you were waiting to hear back?

Yep, I applied on the 17th June (shortly after applications opened).

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

Anyone do a Springboard course with DCU? Im looking at the PG Cert in Public Policy. Its totally unrelated to my work but as a course I think I would enjoy it. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Has anyone taken the International Business (BBS, Level 8) at Dorset College? Any info/feedback on the course/college? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Any done or doing the Postgrad Certificate in Data Science from TUD?

Anyone know how long I might be waiting to hear back from DCU? Do they go by the closing date I wonder?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cadger1978

Submitted my DCU application on 29th June , status changed to successful on the 7th July. Probably different for each department but if you check the application history at least you'll know if it's been reviewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Any one able to provide feedback on Graduate Certificate in Management of Operations at DCU https://business.dcu.ie/course/grad-cert-management-operations/

Sorry no but interested too. This one is on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Asking again as this question might have been missed during the migration…any feedback would be appreciated.

Has anyone taken the International Business (BBS, Level 8) at Dorset College? Any info/feedback on the course/college? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jesuisros

Self-directed learning, each subject is divided into three modules and there's one or two tutorials for each where they review the course notes and there's an opportunity to ask questions etc (Timetable attached). There's one group project within the Operations subject.

• Operations Management, Service Operations Management, Operations Strategy 
    • Career Success x 3
    • Project & Change Management, Organisational Change and one elective

Overall I found the course to be intense but interesting. The staff are very easy to talk to but some of the lecturers don't go into enough detail / explain what they are looking for in the assignments. I hope that's of use, happy to answer questions / feel free to DM me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I applied for this as well. It is relevant to my work but I submitted the application on the last day and may miss out on a first come, first served basis. It seems to take three of the courses from DCU's taught masters offerings, so the standard should be good. I also applied for European Law and Policy course, as it covers some of the same ground and looks to be of a similar quality. Let me know if/when they get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭stevegrace

Hope someone might know, I have been offered a course through PAC with Carlow but I also have a springboard application for the same course which is still pending. If I accept the PAC offer and pay the deposit and then my springboard offer comes through can it be applied to PAC offer or does it not work that way.

I would hate for the chance to pass by waiting for a springboard offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Has anybody any info on the Level 7 Diploma in Big Data for Business in DBS. Just wondering what follow on courses it may lead to and how many evenings per week it is?

• Advertisement

Anyone heard back from UL yet? I applied for a Level 9 over a month ago and haven't even been asked to provide extra documentation to support my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

No that course specifically but another course(Diploma elsewhere in UL). I was accepted, paid my deposit and it's all confirmed. That was about 3 weeks ago at this stage. All information from them came from gps@ul.ie so I'd be emailing them there to enquire.

Did you also register yourself on the UL side of things, fill in your application and put in your Springboard+ application number. It's a requirement.

What is the closing date of your course? Maybe mine was sooner so they reacted faster. Then again there are only a certain number of people who can be from springboard on coures apparently so the sooner you follow up the better I'd say.

Yes, I applied through Springboard and then UL itself. I emailed the GPS address around two weeks ago asking when I could expect to hear whether I had secured a place, and they said they were working through a lot of applications and would let me know ASAP. That's it. The closing date is the 1st August so I'm wondering whether they're waiting until then to let people know. It's just frustrating because I need to know if I'm going to have to relocate to Limerick or not. The course starts the 6th of September so they're cutting it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭shannon82

yes, the course will be made up of springboard and those who are doing the masters. Got slightly freaked out on the induction day pre covid where the course lead said this is Masters level and we expect that..given that I had left college 15 years ago.

A lot of self study and reading of articles. Tutorials were ok, like jesuisrois said they go through the notes (some lecturers are better than others) they then give you the opportunity to ask questions about the assignments. Usually a peer review, essay and something else. the group project is the second assignment ...which is a pain as some people by that stage have dropped out etc. I thought it was good I enjoyed the services side- the lecturer helped though.

the second side ...I wasn't a fan of one of the main lecturers...literally just went through the slides...

Use the referencing software they recommend, it will save you so much time. when I did it we had to do a career module too...which was a pain

Anyone have experience of UCG (University College Galway) and if they offer springboard places in advance of the closing date?

It's a lot of work for a Certificate- it's two ECTS away from a Diploma - pity it doesn't have diploma status

Thanks for the reply shannon82 - what was painful about the career module?

Still waiting on DCU to get back to be re my application. The closing date was well over two weeks ago. I don't know if that's a good/bad sign!!

Which course? The Ops one closign date was only a few days ago July 31st, if you log onto your Springboard account you can check the history, you should see if it has been downloaded.

• Advertisement

Hi, no a differant course. I decided not to go for the Ops one.

Thanks

Advertisement