Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

New albums out the last few weeks that I have been listening to and liked a lot and in no particular order - Bush The Kingdom, Seasick Steve - Love & Peace, Foals Collected Reworks Vol. 1, Viva Belgrado - Bellavista (came out in April but only listening to it in the past few weeks), The Psychedelic Furs - Made of Pain, PJ Harvey reissues and the excellent new album from Lianne La Havas

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Bush have a new album out? I night have a listen. I've a urge to listen to Razorblade Suitcase recently but its not on Spotify.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Bush have a new album out? I night have a listen. I've a urge to listen to Razorblade Suitcase recently but its not on Spotify.

They do and it's actually quite good.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Advance Base (previously castiontone for the...) has a live album coming this week. Will def give it a spin. Enjoyed the first song from it a lot a stripped version of True Love Death Dream

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

New Rival Consoles release, 'Articulation' came out on Friday, really enjoying it.

Persona was one of my favourite electronica albums from the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

You're bashing Fontaines DC and The Coronas. And in next sentence throwing in a positive about Taylor Swift. You're in the wrong forum. The Hormonal Teenage moany forum is thataway.

I'd rather listen to Taylor Swift's new album than the Fontaines DC one. I haven't listened to the new Coronas one so I can't comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Personally I'm really enjoying the new Fontaines album. A darker and more matured follow-up to their debut. There's a lot more depth to their songwriting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭flasher0030

OhHiMark wrote: »
    I'd rather listen to Taylor Swift's new album than the Fontaines DC one. I haven't listened to the new Coronas one so I can't comment on that.

Really?? Haven't listened to Fontaines new one or Coronas new one either.
    I'm, not a massive fan of either. But appreciate and applaud the succes they've had. Hard to listen to a poster calling them "awful" and then creaming over Taylor Swift's output. In an Alternative & Indie forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I'm, not a massive fan of either. But appreciate and applaud the succes they've had. Hard to listen to a poster calling them "awful" and then creaming over Taylor Swift's output. In an Alternative & Indie forum.

Well in fairness a lot of the album was written by Aaron Dessner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭mosstin

It is, essentially, her alternative and indie album. I think she's brilliant myself but, given the choice, I'd rather listen to Stars of the Lid.

• Advertisement

LOL haven't listened to all three albums but still feel the need to comment. None of these 3 bands are alt/indie but hey keep going applauding their success but not that of the biggest female artist out there at the moment.

mosstin wrote: »
    It is, essentially, her alternative and indie album. I think she's brilliant myself but, given the choice, I'd rather listen to Stars of the Lid.

while it might be her new twist - it's a pop album, I don't think it can be anything else, but all are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭flasher0030

lordgoat wrote: »
    LOL haven't listened to all three albums but still feel the need to comment. None of these 3 bands are alt/indie but hey keep going applauding their success but not that of the biggest female artist out there at the moment.

Whooahh. Easy there chief. Don't get your knickers in a twist. It's a forum. Purpose is to make comments.
    As a layperson,I would regard alternative music to be an alternative to the mainstream crap that we generally get from chart-inspired music. And as far as I recollect, its origins had something to do with punk inspired music. I would put Fontaines into the alternative category, or close to it anyway.
    Taylor Swift; definitely not. I've heard her stuff on the radio. I have kids so have to endure it. You have to admit; most of it is shlt. She may be successful. But so is Justin Bieber and One Direction. all manufactured music, marketed towards creating a hype that the public buys into.

Think I might just migrate my thoughts to the Music forum, can't be listening to stuff like that these days.

PS: both the Taylor Swift and the Fontaines DC albums are very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

everyone loves a good "is it, isn't it" genre row.

Popped up in a new releases list, don't know a thing about them, but definitely enjoying it on first listen, pop/goth/punk with some great hooks.

Definitely a My Chemical Romance vibe off them

Jónsi (from Sigur Rós) with Liz Fraser.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Orville Peck has a new EP out, Show Pony. His debut last year blew me away. His voice is amazing and that atmosphere in his songs of melodramatic Country weirdness was something I couldn't say no to.

Show Pony is a bit more straightforward, even polished, and he leans into the camp maybe a tad too much on a few numbers. But it has some amazing moments. This tune is fantastic:

New Bright Eyes album released today 'Down in the Weeds, Where the World Once Was'

Just on first listen now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Acosta

The new I Like Trains album is a belter

• Advertisement

A new album that's been blowing my mind is Alphaville by Imperial Triumphant.

It's not really alternative and indie, but I don't know if those labels even mean anything anymore. It's a weird mix of black metal, noise rock and jazz - so it annoys the metal purists a bit, maybe it has some alternative cred.

I used to listen to all the metal all the time as a young fella, but you know how your tastes broaden out as you get older, so now I only listen to it a bit every now and again. I find it hard to come across modern metal that sounds fresh to my ears, the rules of all the different genres are so well established at this stage.

But I love this album. It took me a few listens. The songs are really great and they take a lot of risks in every song - barbershop quartets, jazzy piano, but it doesn't feel gimmicky because the music is generally hellish and ferocious and the riffs are nicely discordant and sick.

Won't appeal to many on here, it's pretty out there, but I know there's one or two who appreciate the heavy stuff.

New Bob Moses, had dropped from my radar for a few years, but this is quality.

New Kelly Lee Owens' album 'Inner Song out. Debut was excellent.

Came across this today because of the Weird Fishes / Arpeggi cover which I really liked. Will listen to more of the album.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Acosta wrote: »
    The new I Like Trains album is a belter
    Thanks for that, didn't know it was out. It really is good. Nothing like their early stuff (I loved Elegies...) but I'm really liking it :)

Bit of an LCD Soundsystem vibe to it

New Arab Strap and it's absolutely brilliant.

The new Sevdaliza album Shabrang is excellent. Worth a listen also, I think she may be the first Iranian artist I've ever listened to. Really liked the last record but this new one just confirms for me how good she really is.

Angel Olsen has a newish album out called Whole New Mess. Newish because a lot of it is stripped back versions of songs of her last album. I thought that album was a classic at first, but I went off it big time eventually. The songs sounded great the first few times, but were overproduced and lacked staying power in the long run. So maybe a lo-fi version of some tunes might work, maybe not. She's worth persevering with IMO. Burn Your Fire was a stunning record, all killer no filler.

Arghus wrote: »
    Angel Olsen has a newish album out called Whole New Mess. Newish because a lot of it is stripped back versions of songs of her last album. I thought that album was a classic at first, but I went off it big time eventually. The songs sounded great the first few times, but were overproduced and lacked staying power in the long run. So maybe a lo-fi version of some tunes might work, maybe not. She's worth persevering with IMO. Burn Your Fire was a stunning record, all killer no filler.

This is exactly my opinion of Angel Olsen. They threw everything at that last record and just ruined it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

The new Sevdaliza album Shabrang is excellent. Worth a listen also, I think she may be the first Iranian artist I've ever listened to. Really liked the last record but this new one just confirms for me how good she really is.

saw her at the picnic a couple years ago, she was deadly, will have a listen to this.

Advertisement