Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

surprised that this didn't make any list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

donfers wrote: »
    The Irish Times just informed me that the talkies by Girl Band is the best Irish Album ever, listened to the first couple of "tracks" on it last night and didn't really enjoy it, although in fairness it's not really a night time album :)....will give it another go today

Good music but sounds completely inspired by Pixies. I'd rather just listen to Pixies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭budgemook

Good music but sounds completely inspired by Pixies. I'd rather just listen to Pixies.

I've heard them called a poor man's Pixies alright!

I think you make a fair point but at the same time I'd much rather go to a Girl Band gig than a Pixies gig ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

budgemook wrote: »
    I've heard them called a poor man's Pixies alright!

I think you make a fair point but at the same time I'd much rather go to a Girl Band gig than a Pixies gig ðŸ˜

Only became a fan in 2005 when they played Lansdowne Road, with Kings of Leon (when they were still brilliant).It was an unbelievable gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

They sound to me like a Fall rip off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I haven't listened to too much Girl Band but I don't remember them sounding anything like Pixies.

Will have a listen later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

They don't sound like the pixies, way more intense, a lot closer to a noise rock band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

sorry guys but girl band are nonsense :confused:
    I have no desire to decode their message

They sound to me like a Fall rip off

Same said of ought they are better than the fallever where

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Same said of ought they are better than the fallever where

ah here!

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    ah here!

I don;t rate them highly never heard anything amazing woud struggle to name a tune yes they invented quite aot for their time

I don;t rate them highly never heard anything amazing woud struggle to name a tune yes they invented quite aot for their time

I'm no expert but i've listened to them a good bit on spotify and they really have had some excellent stuff from the shouty, absurdist post-punk the yare most known for to diverse rockabilly, country and krautrock influenced stuff. Saw them live once, it was amazing.

sorry guys but girl band are nonsense :confused:
    I have no desire to decode their message

I just take it as a given, unless explicitly stated otherwise, that you think every act mentioned here is "nonsense"!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭T.V Eye

Outside of the vocals I don't get The Fall/Girl Band comparisons.
    The closest The Fall came to noise rock is Hex... and it sounds nothing like Girl Band.

Any indie band whose vocalist can't sing properly and/or does so with an accent is labelled a Fall sound-alike...

The new Protomartyr album is fantastic, there has been a steady evolution on each of their albums, but this one sounds like a big leap. Hey... Joe Casey sounds like M.E.S too.

T.V Eye wrote: »
    Outside of the vocals I don't get The Fall/Girl Band comparisons.
    The closest The Fall came to noise rock is Hex... and it sounds nothing like Girl Band.

Any indie band whose vocalist can't sing properly and/or does so with an accent is labelled a Fall sound-alike...

The new Protomartyr album is fantastic, there has been a steady evolution on each of their albums, but this one sounds like a big leap. Hey... Joe Casey sounds like M.E.S too.

I think Relatives in Descent was probably stronger on a song by song basis, but I appreciate that they've tried to do something a bit different with their sound again. They're a seriously underrated band.

Favourite off the record for me is maybe the closer?

Had a listen to the excellent new Nadine Shah album last night, really powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Are you guys gonna have to start the Taylor Swift conversation soon?

I was going to post a similar message last night. I like it but that's not too surprising based on my thoughts on Swifts earlier work. Far too long though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I was going to post a similar message last night. I like it but that's not too surprising based on my thoughts on Swifts earlier work. Far too long though.

It does feel ridiculously long. I've enjoyed the first few tracks a few times, but at the moment struggling to make it through the whole thing, without it just playing in the background.

I'll stick with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Exile the song with Bon Ivor is fantastic.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    I think Relatives in Descent was probably stronger on a song by song basis, but I appreciate that they've tried to do something a bit different with their sound again. They're a seriously underrated band.

Favourite off the record for me is maybe the closer?

Would u believe gone totally of them and idles as well

New Fontaines D.C. out today. Liking it on first listen but I had enjoyed all the already released songs.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

S.M.B. wrote: »
    New Fontaines D.C. out today. Liking it on first listen but I had enjoyed all the already released songs.

I've tried listen to them a few times, but just can't get past the vocals at all.

I'll give it a go, but I did think their debut was just alright. Didn't blow me away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Oh good new Fontaines

tenor.gif?itemid=14609653

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

sweetie wrote: »

LOL at so much here. For their click bait headline I won't be giving them one.

Suffice to say I think both of them are awful but I did like blur.

New tay tay is up there with her best in places. Must get the forum changed to Alt, indie and swifties. Alt and Sw-indies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭flasher0030

lordgoat wrote: »
    LOL at so much here. For their click bait headline I won't be giving them one.

Suffice to say I think both of them are awful but I did like blur.

New tay tay is up there with her best in places. Must get the forum changed to Alt, indie and swifties. Alt and Sw-indies?

You're bashing Fontaines DC and The Coronas. And in next sentence throwing in a positive about Taylor Swift. You're in the wrong forum. The Hormonal Teenage moany forum is thataway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I've never heard of Fontaines DC. :-(

Check this out, submissions close on 7th September and top 50 countdown will run on September 10th.
    . Contributions appreciated, thanks.

Boardises decide best music albums of all-time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

You're bashing Fontaines DC and The Coronas. And in next sentence throwing in a positive about Taylor Swift. You're in the wrong forum. The Hormonal Teenage moany forum is thataway.

What's funny here is that you seem to think that Fontains and the coronas are not making music for hormonal teens and are somehow above being bashed for what they are. Make no mistake about it both of those bands would bite your hand off to have half the sales of Taylor Swift.

This ridiculously named forum is just a music forum, how music is currently available means the alternative and indie tags don't really work anymore.

Restricting discussion on bands/music in here has never been done and I'm loathe to start. If you're of this mindset maybe just keep going....

Advertisement