Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

+1

Would have added the video to my previous post but it wasn't on YouTube at the time of posting.

Album lives up to the very high expectations I had. Was also my most anticipated of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Savior Complex is a great song, brilliant album

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That Phoebe Bridgers album hasn't blown me away yet to be honest. But I can give it a bit more time. I find her singing voice to be quite bland and it stops me from getting into it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Thks no idea who she is or what the story is but a post is better than no post I tend to dislike singer songwriters myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭mosstin

Punisher is every bit as good as Stranger in the Alps, if not better. Certainly has not disappointed!

I really love the last track on the album

Funny but I've been listening to it non-stop since I got it last week and I've been slightly underwhelmed. There are some wonderful songs on there but it hasn't blown me away like 'Stranger' did. It's a very good record thus far but it's left me unmoved as yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

enjoying the funky new albums of Khruangbin and Bananagun this weekend

mosstin wrote: »
    Funny but I've been listening to it non-stop since I got it last week and I've been slightly underwhelmed. There are some wonderful songs on there but it hasn't blown me away like 'Stranger' did. It's a very good record thus far but it's left me unmoved as yet.

That's how I feel too. I must have listened to it about fifteen times at this stage and while it has some good songs - ICU, Halloween, Graceland Too - and is no way a bad album, I'm slightly baffled at the level of ecstatic praise the album has received. Is it really that good?

She's a good lyricist and her songs are very emotionally direct and I like the reverbed and dreamy indie atmospheres on a lot of the songs, but the songs as a whole don't blow me away: there's nothing on the album that I feel like I simply have to make people listen to. And, truth be told, I think she's a very boring vocalist, which really robs the music, for all its good qualities, of some energy and personality.

The dears latest album just great ..

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭divide_by_zero

New Dream Wife record, So When You Gonna, is excellent. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭jacool

Muzz - Muzz

Red Western Sky
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsRSwQoOA68
    Broken Tambourine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9XmawB0t7Q
    Knuckleduster
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfL4STVaG2U

Don't know how to get the pictures in.

• Advertisement

jacool wrote: »
    Muzz - Muzz

Red Western Sky
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsRSwQoOA68
    Broken Tambourine
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9XmawB0t7Q
    Knuckleduster
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfL4STVaG2U

Don't know how to get the pictures in.

First vid pretty spectacular ..one of the vids thought it was teleman!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

The Irish Times just informed me that the talkies by Girl Band is the best Irish Album ever, listened to the first couple of "tracks" on it last night and didn't really enjoy it, although in fairness it's not really a night time album :)....will give it another go today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

donfers wrote: »
    The Irish Times just informed me that the talkies by Girl Band is the best Irish Album ever, listened to the first couple of "tracks" on it last night and didn't really enjoy it, although in fairness it's not really a night time album :)....will give it another go today

I noticed that. Girl Band are not an easy listen, that's for sure. I've dipped in an out over the years and sometimes found myself really enjoying their songs but mostly finding them a bit too noisy for the time and place and just turning them off.

The critics love the band but I am undecided myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it's a good album, but best Irish album ever? (last time they ran that poll, they had Whipping Boy's "Heartworm" at no. 1 which personally I think is a completely overrated album).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

That Irish Times poll is close to being the biggest heap of ****e of all time. Trying way too hard to be cool and contemporary.

Any list of the best 50 Irish albums of all time that doesn't contain Last Man in Europe by the Blades can take a run and jump....

I love hip hop but way too much recent hip hop in that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

loyatemu wrote: »
    it's a good album, but best Irish album ever? (last time they ran that poll, they had Whipping Boy's "Heartworm" at no. 1 which personally I think is a completely overrated album).

Girlband have earned their crust through their live performances. Phenomenal. Their albums are a tough listen. But if you can push through a couple of listens, they generally grow on you. For me it was the case that once I became familiar with the lyrics and able to sing along, it became catchy. First listen to many songs can sound like a chainsaw on galvanize.

I definitely don’t agree with the second comment there. Heartworm is the first album that comes to my mind as best Irish. You know the way sometimes you have change of opinion of fav band, music, album etc. But not with this for me.
    I’ve been listening to it for the past 24 years. Still don’t get tired of it. And it’s not that I’m a mad fan of the band. Have listened to self-titled album several times and it’s ok. And listened to Submarine and just haven’t got it yet. But that’s my issue. Haven’t given it the love yet.

Fair play to them for going ahead and giving it to Girl Band, who are streets ahead of the majority of interchangeable and dull as dishwater Irish bands.

But better than Astral Weeks or Loveless? I'm not too sure about that.

Arghus wrote: »
    Fair play to them for going ahead and giving it to Girl Band, who are streets ahead of the majority of interchangeable and dull as dishwater Irish bands.

But better than Astral Weeks or Loveless? I'm not too sure about that.

Not a fan of either Loveless never heard of it in the 90's too late for me now
    Much better List here I dont get astral weeks at all its really not great to me I did like Madam George one song .
    https://www.cluas.com/best-irish-albums-ever/

That list has made me go back and listen to Bell XIs Music in Mouth for the first time in a good 15 years.

• Advertisement

S.M.B. wrote: »
    That list has made me go back and listen to Bell XIs Music in Mouth for the first time in a good 15 years.

great album

fantastic album from start to finish. Love the song Tongue. Could listen to that forever.

In my opinion,it very difficult to argue against Achtung Baby being the greatest Irish album of all time. I know that's a sweeping statement, which ignores differences in personal tastes, opinions on Bono and his political allegiances, people's opinions on tax issues etc.
    But overall Achtung Baby is a juggernaut, and is recognised as such on the international music scene as it makes many top 5s or top 10s best album ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

fantastic album from start to finish. Love the song Tongue. Could listen to that forever.

In my opinion,it very difficult to argue against Achtung Baby being the greatest Irish album of all time. I know that's a sweeping statement, which ignores differences in personal tastes, opinions on Bono and his political allegiances, people's opinions on tax issues etc.
    But overall Achtung Baby is a juggernaut, and is recognised as such on the international music scene as it makes many top 5s or top 10s best album ever.

I'm not a huge U2 fan, but I think Joshua Tree has been a much more influential album than Achtung Baby, even if I'd probably prefer to listen to the latter (actually I'd probably go for Zooropa if I was forced to listen to one of their albums).

loyatemu wrote: »
    I'm not a huge U2 fan, but I think Joshua Tree has been a much more influential album than Achtung Baby, even if I'd probably prefer to listen to the latter (actually I'd probably go for Zooropa if I was forced to listen to one of their albums).

I'm not a big fan either. I used to really like them. Fell off my radar for the past 6 or 7 years. But ya, Achtung baby and Zooropa are good listens and due to the variety in styles, they have aged well. Can still listen to them and feel like getting something new out of it. Joshua tree is brilliant as weel. It's just one that I wouldn't run too with any excitement any more.

Just out of curiousity, what do you mean by Joshua being most influential - with the public, or do you mean through the music of other bands? Or do you mean getting U2 high up on the music map.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

sweetie wrote: »
    I love hip hop but way too much recent hip hop in that list.

Same and there's some new albums on there that I have missed so I'll give em a go. No Messiah J and the Expert though so def missing one of the best Irish hip hop albums ever.

Weird list, some awful stuff on it. Some of the older albums def not getting the respect they deserve and some of the newer ones will not have the same longevity.

Serious lack of The Gloaming and Conor Walsh too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Not a fan of either Loveless never heard of it in the 90's too late for me now
    Much better List here I dont get astral weeks at all its really not great to me I did like Madam George one song .
    https://www.cluas.com/best-irish-albums-ever/

Christ that list is 16 years old, and it really shows its age.

lordgoat wrote: »

Still more or less valid for me apart from otherkin OK very few Irish albums have left a mark on me over the past decade.Protobaby The Spark as well.

lordgoat wrote: »
    That explains a lot

Ended up going down a rabbit hole from Bell XI to Juniper and other late 90s stuff. Brought back lots of memories.

Still more or less valid for me apart from otherkin OK very few Irish albums have left a mark on me over the past decade.Protobaby The Spark as well.
    This also explains a lot.

Your taste in music based on posts here is basically me stuck in 2005.

In saying that 2005 was some year for music, probably the best in my living memory.

• Advertisement

This also explains a lot.

Your taste in music based on posts here is basically me stuck in 2005.

In saying that 2005 was some year for music, probably the best in my living memory.

Music through the 90's was better for me.even liked the dance music for a while.

Advertisement