Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which jeep.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

ive owned both, honestly there isn't much between them, the landcruiser is fine for farm towing but hasn't the guts for anything over 3 ton, I pull 3.5 ton regularly and I just couldn't reccomend the landcruiser for it, I'm driving a pajero now and for towing power it leaves the landcruiser behind, most lads are die hard cruiser fans, but they remind me of the scania die hards, they follow the brand and nothing more, for normal day to day farm towing and driving the cruiser is fine, most farm jeeps dont see a very hard life anyway

Very few have a need for such towing capacity, the landcruiser can happily be used to ferry people around, the pajero is extremely agricultural by comparison, it's a utility vehicle

The LWB pajero is particularly ugly

Never heard of anyone choosing Toyota for brand reasons, Toyota has always had a boring image, buy an X5 if brand recognition is important

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

ive owned both, honestly there isn't much between them, the landcruiser is fine for farm towing but hasn't the guts for anything over 3 ton, I pull 3.5 ton regularly and I just couldn't reccomend the landcruiser for it, I'm driving a pajero now and for towing power it leaves the landcruiser behind, most lads are die hard cruiser fans, but they remind me of the scania die hards, they follow the brand and nothing more, for normal day to day farm towing and driving the cruiser is fine, most farm jeeps dont see a very hard life anyway

Ah that has to be a joke! Landcruisers not able to pull over 3 tonne?!?! A neighbour of mine comically overloads his 2008 one every week. I've seen it pulling 5 ton regularly. I wouldnt recommend it and i certainly wouldnt like to try stopping with it but its well able to do it. Landcruisers regularly pull weights far in excess of what they are legally allowed to.

OP, I think you would have to be a lunatic to even consider a Touareg. They just are not in the same category as either the Pajero or Landcruiser. Its a car on stilts. It doesn't have the same level of durability designed into it at all and does not have a proper 4 wheel drive system. They have a nice engine and interior but that is about it. Also they are very heavy on fuel. My brother had a V6 one from new and it got approx 24mpg at best and was an absolute pile of junk. I wouldnt even take a loan of an out of warranty one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Capra wrote: »
    Ah that has to be a joke! Landcruisers not able to pull over 3 tonne?!?! A neighbour of mine comically overloads his 2008 one every week. I've seen it pulling 5 ton regularly. I wouldnt recommend it and i certainly wouldnt like to try stopping with it but its well able to do it. Landcruisers regularly pull weights far in excess of what they are legally allowed to..

Not a joke, just an observation from driving the 2, I have a big pull out of my yard and the landcruiser would be at the pin of its collar trying to come up out of it with 3 5 ton, the pajero does it with relative ease, the biggest thing I found with the landcruiser was its geared a bit too highly for the heavy stuff, my opinion only and the landcruiser is a serious machine to go and very reliable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Seeing as we're on the subject of towing and hill starts, do many lads actually use the low box in such scenarios? I know it puts extra pressure on the drive train especially if cornering but it saves burning the clutch and generally dogging the jeep. I use it if taking off on a steep hill with a load or reversing up a hill loaded ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,169 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Seeing as we're on the subject of towing and hill starts, do many lads actually use the low box in such scenarios? I know it puts extra pressure on the drive train especially if cornering but it saves burning the clutch and generally dogging the jeep. I use it if taking off on a steep hill with a load or reversing up a hill loaded ect.

I would always use the low box when starting off on a hill and especially when reversing with a load in the trailer. No point burning your clutch out by not using the low box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭bigroad

What about a grand Jeep Cherokee 3.0crd merc engine and box.
    Or a late model Nissan patrol.
    For me if I had the need for such a vehicle I think it would have to be a Toyota lancruiser Amazon 4.2td auto.resale values seem to be going up and not down like most stuff.

bigroad wrote: »
    For me if I had the need for such a vehicle I think it would have to be a Toyota lancruiser Amazon 4.2td auto.resale values seem to be going up and not down like most stuff.

I agree regarding the Amazon they look to be a serious weapon and only seem to be increasing in value. The op's budget would stretch to a clean example that should be reliable for years to come. I'd love an early 2000's commercial spec Amazon, be the real job for comfort and reliability imo. There mental money though for what's still an older jeep, I wonder what were they new? I can't think of that many vehicles that hold there value as well as the cruiser and Amazon considering there so plentiful and still being produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭bigroad

I agree regarding the Amazon they look to be a serious weapon and only seem to be increasing in value. The op's budget would stretch to a clean example that should be reliable for years to come. I'd love an early 2000's commercial spec Amazon, be the real job for comfort and reliability imo. There mental money though for what's still an older jeep, I wonder what were they new? I can't think of that many vehicles that hold there value as well as the cruiser and Amazon considering there so plentiful and still being produced.
    From memory I think they were the same price if no more than a Range Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Not a joke, just an observation from driving the 2, I have a big pull out of my yard and the landcruiser would be at the pin of its collar trying to come up out of it with 3 5 ton, the pajero does it with relative ease, the biggest thing I found with the landcruiser was its geared a bit too highly for the heavy stuff, my opinion only and the landcruiser is a serious machine to go and very reliable.
    Mate of mine bought an automatic LC.. says he'll never buy a manual again. Geared way too high for towing.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Mate of mine bought an automatic LC.. says he'll never buy a manual again. Geared way too high for towing.

I'm tempted to try an auto LC the next time around although I've never owned anything automatic before. A few lads I know made the switch and all but one swear by the auto, as above they rate it miles ahead for towing. I'd be hoping they'd be better minded over a manual and be more likely to have been a form of "Chelsea tractor" in a previous life.

• Advertisement

A friend traded in his older manual for a newer automatic last year and he loves it. He reckons that there is little difference in diesel consumption. He does tow with it but nothing over 1500kgs on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I've an uncle with a 2008 3.0d4d automatic Landcruiser and a company 3.0tdi dsg Amarok reckons he couldn't bring himself to return to towing with a manual.

Same man has had manual Isuzu dmax's and manual Landcruisers before making the switch.

As an elder lemon I have an aversion to automatic jeeps. In the days of yore they were gutless, diesel guzzling vehicles that couldn't pull themselves outta of a wet puddle.
    However times have moved on and nowday's most commercial tractor units/rigids come with auto transmission as standard.

bigroad wrote: »

Those jeep grand cherokee were the biggest pile of junk prior to 2011, since fiat took them over, they have improved no end, pity the dealership is so small, fantastic looking jeep

The pre 2011 ones had a duff Mercedes engine, the kind ssangyong had, avoid

None of those will hold their value in the future, government will ramp up the war on high co2 engines

Base price wrote: »
    As an elder lemon I have an aversion to automatic jeeps. In the days of yore they were gutless, diesel guzzling vehicles that couldn't pull themselves outta of a wet puddle.
    However times have moved on and nowday's most commercial tractor units/rigids come with auto transmission as standard.

As a nation, we have an extraordinary aversion to automatics, I'd have nothing else myself

They are much harder on fuel if towing ng however

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    As a nation, we have an extraordinary aversion to automatics, I'd have nothing else myself

They are much harder on fuel if towing ng however
    Do you reckon that the newer automatic tractor units/rigid lorries are harder on diesel then their older counterparts. TBH I wouldn't know cause we don't have any - our two lorries are older with manual gearboxes, no adblue or fancy engine/transmission sensors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

our two lorries are older with manual gearboxes, no adblue or fancy engine/transmission sensors.

Hold onto them as long as you can

Do you reckon that the newer automatic tractor units/rigid lorries are harder on diesel then their older counterparts. TBH I wouldn't know cause we don't have any - our two lorries are older with manual gearboxes, no adblue or fancy engine/transmission sensors.

I honestly don't know but all new lorries are automatic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,212 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A friend traded in his older manual for a newer automatic last year and he loves it. He reckons that there is little difference in diesel consumption. He does tow with it but nothing over 1500kgs on a regular basis.

In that case the Jeep size is a lifestyle choice. Nearly all SUV with diesel engines above 1.5 would legally tow that. I would consider an LC too big for that unless he would need the 4WD capability or ground clearance. Mind you I was surprised latelyy with where a Suzuki Jimmy went and it required clearance as well as 4WD.
    I even wonder would OP require a 4WD with the capability of a LC. He says he only uses it for towing once a month. How often is the 3ton capability required.The requirements of a jeep that size is marginal even using it to tow 3 ton once every month. If he only goes 3 ton a few times a year any of 3-4 mid sized jeep's would do him and pay someone to do the few overweight loads.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

We will :)

In that case the Jeep size is a lifestyle choice. Nearly all SUV with diesel engines above 1.5 would legally tow that. I would consider an LC too big for that unless he would need the 4WD capability or ground clearance. Mind you I was surprised latelyy with where a Suzuki Jimmy went and it required clearance as well as 4WD.
    I even wonder would OP require a 4WD with the capability of a LC. He says he only uses it for towing once a month. How often is the 3ton capability required.The requirements of a jeep that size is marginal even using it to tow 3 ton once every month. If he only goes 3 ton a few times a year any of 3-4 mid sized jeep's would do him and pay someone to do the few overweight loads.
    He works in agri construction so needs it for site works and pulling a bowser.

He works in agri construction so needs it for site works and pulling a bowser.

A Ford Kuga would do him

Slava Ukrainii

A Ford Kuga would do him
    I presume cause he had a LC before that is why he went for another one albeit an automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭josephsoap

A Ford Kuga would do him

Perhaps he is a 40% tax payer? ;)

Over the recent years I've been shocked at the number of newer registered tractor units, rigid lorries and even agri tractors that I have seen laid up in our mechanics yard. Apparently most of the faults are electronic/computer/sensor faults and in most cases the vehicle automatically goes into "limp" mode where it loses power.
    Fook that.

Over the recent years I've been shocked at the number of newer registered tractor units, rigid lorries and even agri tractors that I have seen laid up in our mechanics yard. Apparently most of the faults are electronic/computer/sensor faults and in most cases the vehicle automatically goes into "limp" mode where it loses power.
    Fook that.

I am not familiar with service interval on larger machinery but on cars it has gone crazy. Recently purchased an 151 IX 35 for the better half. Service interval is 30k ( on a diesel nearly 19k miles when you consider a bit with 20 years it was 3k miles).
    Most engines now to reduce emissions throw soot back into the engine where it is picked up by the newer sythnetic oil ( this is why they are so black on changing). More and more mechanics are recommending reducing service intervals back by at least 1/3 and even more on higher service interval cars. Sensors cannot cope with these levels of luck. Heavier machinery may be under more pressure as servicing is more expensive and earlier servicing may not be as common

Slava Ukrainii

I am not familiar with service interval on larger machinery but on cars it has gone crazy. Recently purchased an 151 IX 35 for the better half. Service interval is 30k ( on a diesel nearly 19k miles when you consider a bit with 20 years it was 3k miles).
    Most engines now to reduce emissions throw soot back into the engine where it is picked up by the newer sythnetic oil ( this is why they are so black on changing). More and more mechanics are recommending reducing service intervals back by at least 1/3 and even more on higher service interval cars. Sensors cannot cope with these levels of luck. Heavier machinery may be under more pressure as servicing is more expensive and earlier servicing may not be as common
    Bass, I wouldn't have a clue about the service intervals of modern vehicles. TBH I had to google what at 151 IX 35 was.

Our daily run around ponies are older model 1.3 and 1.7 Opel Combos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

monseiur wrote: »
    Had a quick look on Done Deal - there's a 10 year old beige Land Cruiser for sale in Dublin with just 75,000 miles, it looks spotless It's at the top of your budget but as previous poster said they're bullet proof and worth the few dollars more in the long run.

Forgot to mention that this Cruiser has an auto gearbox, but based on OP's requirements it should last at least another 15 years no problem
    M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The requirements of a jeep that size is marginal even using it to tow 3 ton once every month. If he only goes 3 ton a few times a year any of 3-4 mid sized jeep's would do him and pay someone to do the few overweight loads.
    For me it’s not about strength of Jeep but towing capacity.
    A 4 cow trailer with 4 light heifers (460-500Kg) would have you on the limit

Advertisement