Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which jeep.

Options
  • 09-06-2019 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Budget of around 15k. Don't want a crew cab as they are 2 long. Will occasionally be pulling a trailer (maybe once a month on average) so want something that will pull 3 tonne when required.

Which one of the following
    1. Mitsubishi pajero 3.2
    2. Toyota landcruiser 3.0
    3. Vw touareg 3.0

The touareg seems to be better value than the other 2. Could get a much fresher touareg for the money as well.

The jeep will only be doing around 8k a year and mostly very short journeys.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd vote for the Toyota, there's a reason they're so popular. Your budget should stretch to a fresh example circa 10 year old that should last for years if minded. The Land cruiser are a reliable and comfortable work horse imo. They have there faults as do all jeeps but if serviced and minded there almost bombproof for decades.

Pros:
    •Reliable
    •Comfortable
    •Good towing ability
    •Large selection available second hand
    •Parts are easily sourced

Cons
    •Well minded examples are relatively expensive
    •Fuel efficiency isn't exceptional
    •Toyota parts aren't cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

mengele wrote: »
    Budget of around 15k. Don't want a crew cab as they are 2 long. Will occasionally be pulling a trailer (maybe once a month on average) so want something that will pull 3 tonne when required.

Which one of the following
    1. Mitsubishi pajero 3.2
    2. Toyota landcruiser 3.0
    3. Vw touareg 3.0

The touareg seems to be better value than the other 2. Could get a much fresher touareg for the money as well.

The jeep will only be doing around 8k a year and mostly very short journeys.

The toureg has been nicknamed the ''Toe Rag'' around here , are they four wheel drive.
    Mitsubishii are usually good value, I don't think toyotas are worth the extra value as secondhands but there's huge demand for them,

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭AgriLad

If it was me with them requirements, I’d get which ever one is best on fuel and cheapest to run. Considering you aren’t doing heavy work with it

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

AgriLad wrote: »
    If it was me with them requirements, I’d get which ever one is best on fuel and cheapest to run. Considering you aren’t doing heavy work with it

Isuzu Dmax. Your 15 grand would nearly stretch to a 15 reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is it a seated version you are buying

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Isuzu Dmax. Your 15 grand would nearly stretch to a 15 reg.

Gets my vote too, but the OP dosen't want a crew-cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Of the above I'd probably go for the Landcruiser.

A Land Rover Discovery 4 would just creep into budget and could be worth considering as they're a good bit more reliable than the discovery 3.

Bmw x5 worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭148multi

Would the gearbox stand up to the towing

X5 is almost 100hp stronger than a 3.0 d4d Landcruiser....

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭mengele

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Gets my vote too, but the OP dosen't want a crew-cab.

I definitely don't want a crew cab. The Toyotas just seem so expensive for what you get. You won't be getting as new a one compared to the pajero or touareg. And the mileage is nearly always massive.

Mpg doesn't really matter because it won't be clocking up that much. Just want something that is fairly trouble free and that I might get 10 or 15 years out of. Have a good car . Jeep is just for farm work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

X5 is almost 100hp stronger than a 3.0 d4d Landcruiser....

Thinking of the engines of the Off-Roaders that are well regarded.. the 2.8 TD Daihatsu, the 3.1TD Trooper, the 3.0 TD and 4.2 HZ Toyota engines... these are old school, big engines working easy, not working to the pin of their collar and not very efficient. I'd rather an engine that's a cart horse than a donkey doing the work of a horse.
    Off the two above, I'd go for the one intended for the type of work to be done.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you're only doing 8000 miles, with little towing, then don't worry too much about fuel efficency...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

pajero all the way imo, 3.5 ton towing capacity

mengele wrote: »
    I definitely don't want a crew cab. The Toyotas just seem so expensive for what you get. You won't be getting as new a one compared to the pajero or touareg. And the mileage is nearly always massive.

Mpg doesn't really matter because it won't be clocking up that much. Just want something that is fairly trouble free and that I might get 10 or 15 years out of. Have a good car . Jeep is just for farm work.

Put 10,000 of your budget back in the bank, buy a SWB 3.0 trooper, as new as you can get, and have a 3.1 transplanted into it.
    Get chassis Dinitrolled, and it'll do you ten years easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Not sure what you are towing but looking at fuel efficiency even at only 8000 miles a year the difference between something doing 28 mpg and 40 mpg is over 600 euro/year. More than likely that is half your towing costs for the year if you used a contractor maybe even a tad more.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭selectamatic

The m57 or n57 3.0 six cylinder diesel engines in the x5's are well able for their power. They're in a pretty mild state of tune compared to what they can run reliably at.

To be honest OP your driving situation isn't going to suit any vehicle with a modern emissions compliant diesel. Getting rid of the emissions stuff if it gives any bother could be an option but there's a lot to be said for older type yokes.

The 3.0 to 3.1 trooper option is an interesting one.

The m57 or n57 3.0 six cylinder diesel engines in the x5's are well able for their power. They're in a pretty mild state of tune compared to what they can run reliably at.

To be honest OP your driving situation isn't going to suit any vehicle with a modern emissions compliant diesel. Getting rid of the emissions stuff if it gives any bother could be an option but there's a lot to be said for older type yokes.

The 3.0 to 3.1 trooper option is an interesting one.

The emission control junk on modern diesels has engineered all the reliability out of then.

I have a chap removing the 3.1 from an old lwb Trooper at the minute (rotten chassis, and then chipped a tooth on the rear diff), and next he is going to fit it into a 2003 LWB one with a buggered engine but an "as new" chassis and low miles.
    His bill will be about 1000, the 3.0 cost me a 1000, and the old 3.1 cost me nothing as I had drove it for years

• Registered Users Posts: 48 The11Duff

Go to your local mart and see what the prefered jeep is. Probably be the Landcruiser and for good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Seen a few short wheel base Landrover defenders on done deal, there'd probably more spent on maintenance... But they'll hold their value...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭anthony500_1

Markcheese wrote:
    Seen a few short wheel base Landrover defenders on done deal, there'd probably more spent on maintenance... But they'll hold their value...

The swb 90" defenders are not rated to pull 3t as far as I know. Think there more like 2.5 or 2.8t they do hold there value and in my opinion are far more over priced then any landcruiser out there for what they are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

If the Defender is worth considering, check the braked towing weight. I think its more like 3.5 tonnes.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    If the Defender is worth considering, check the braked towing weight. I think its more like 3.5 tonnes.

If you value your spine, your left knee and your right elbow, stay away from a defender...
    Borrowed a neighbours 2007 90 pick-up last summer for half an hour to pick up the child from the school bus... bloody hell, worst thing I've sat in in two decades...
    Rough and giddy, hopping about on the road.
    Hand brake lever stuck in your left leg/knee, you need the window rolled down because there is no room for your right arm , and a dog of a gearbox..
    And that is a well maintained one...
    Six miles was plenty, couldn't wait to give it back.
    (And we had an early (1985) 90 pick-up for all of the 1990's)

If you value your spine, your left knee and your right elbow, stay away from a defender...

I like the look of them, the history of them and authenticity of them. But I drive a LandCruiser. :)

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I like the look of them, the history of them and authenticity of them. But I drive a LandCruiser. :)

If you want to go out into the desert drive a landrover.......if you want to get back, drive a toyota :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭maidhc

I love my 2003 Landcruiser. It is the very last of the old shape ones, but is still a very accomplished vehicle that is reasonably comfortable and good to drive. Maintenance costs can be a bit high, but it is faultlessly reliable. I bought it 4 years ago and it is worth as much now as it was I paid for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Borrowed a neighbours 2007 90 pick-up last summer for half an hour to pick up the child from the school bus... bloody hell, worst thing I've sat in in two decades...
    Rough and giddy, hopping about on the road.
    Hand brake lever stuck in your left leg/knee, you need the window rolled down because there is no room for your right arm , and a dog of a gearbox..
    And that is a well maintained one...
    Six miles was plenty, couldn't wait to give it back.
    (And we had an early (1985) 90 pick-up for all of the 1990's)

I always wondered why Land Rover owner's drove everywhere with the driver's window down regardless of the weather. About the time I bought my Land cruiser (02 lwb) I saw a lovely 04 Defender 90 on done deal. Having never sat in a Defender before I decided it was best to take a quick test drive of one before driving half way across the country in hopes of buying one.

A friend of friend a few miles away had a 01 reg 90 so I went to his yard one evening to try it out. Having sat into it the first impressions weren't great. The superb ground clearance was achieved by having no foot well, sitting with my legs out straight and hip trouble are not compatible. The gear stick occupied the same space as my left knee and the hand brake was in an awkward position.

Having come this fair I decided to soldier on and swung in the door with the intention of a quick spin around the local area. The door bounced open again and for a minute I thought something was blocking it from closing. Closer inspection revealed the something to be my right arm and shoulder, obviously who ever designed the cab layout had neither a left leg or a right arm. The mystery as to the drivers window being left open was soon solved and to be honest I was happier not knowing. At this stage I didn't even bother starting the engine, promptly thanked it's owner and crossed Land Rover off the search list. The whole experience gave me a better understanding of why Land Rover fell out of popularity upon the arrival of other jeep brands to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭monseiur

Had a quick look on Done Deal - there's a 10 year old beige Land Cruiser for sale in Dublin with just 75,000 miles, it looks spotless It's at the top of your budget but as previous poster said they're bullet proof and worth the few dollars more in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Just my opinion, i think landcruisers are overrated and overpriced, i don't think they have anything on a pajero and yet they are a few grand more expensive.

Don't know much about defenders, mate has one he reckons they break down a lot but on the plus side they are so simply you can fix them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Just my opinion, i think landcruisers are overrated and overpriced, i don't think they have anything on a pajero and yet they are a few grand more expensive.

Don't know much about defenders, mate has one he reckons they break down a lot but on the plus side they are so simply you can fix them yourself.

Landcruiser are superior in every way to a pajero, the pajero sounds like a tractor, very uncomfortable compared to a cruiser as well

Defender has a cult following but are truly awful to drive, terrible gearbox too, they hold their value even better than the landcruiser however

Land rover discovery are as comfortable as a landcruiser but fairly unreliable, they are not cheap enough, they are nicely finished however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Landcruiser are superior in every way to a pajero, the pajero sounds like a tractor, very uncomfortable compared to a cruiser as well

Defender has a cult following but are truly awful to drive, terrible gearbox too, they hold their value even better than the landcruiser however

Land rover discovery are as comfortable as a landcruiser but fairly unreliable, they are not cheap enough, they are nicely finished however

ive owned both, honestly there isn't much between them, the landcruiser is fine for farm towing but hasn't the guts for anything over 3 ton, I pull 3.5 ton regularly and I just couldn't reccomend the landcruiser for it, I'm driving a pajero now and for towing power it leaves the landcruiser behind, most lads are die hard cruiser fans, but they remind me of the scania die hards, they follow the brand and nothing more, for normal day to day farm towing and driving the cruiser is fine, most farm jeeps dont see a very hard life anyway

Advertisement