Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hard is it to get the rolex you want

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,789 ✭✭✭893bet

AmberGold wrote: »
    The BLNR was selling for silly money recently as there was a rumor it would be discontinued. At Baselworld this week Rolex released a new version with an increased standby and a jubilee bracelet.

Now it’s confirmed it’ll be around for the foreseeable future BLNR prices will likely soften.

The opposite is more likely IMO. Prices for the discontinued version will rise: as seen above at watchfinder whose prices jumped overnight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 105 ✭✭theheavyhitter

The prices on Watchfinder are always a good indication of what the market will stand. The black GMT and Batman will continue to sell for a premium over retail following their respective discontinuations. On one hand one would think Rolex want to control the grey market by withholding warranty cards on new steel sports pieces for 12 months. But on the other hand a booming grey market suits them, as it ratchets up the hunger for steel sports pieces at retail globally. Rolex produces 800K pieces per annum compared to Tudor's 200K. So the waiting list business model suits them, to have the majority of the 800K pieces pre-allocated to hungry buyers. The grey market just increases the demand even more for a steel sports piece at a retail AD.
    In comparison, Omega has over-saturated its market with too many limited editions, and Seamaster variants. This means no waiting list, so more sales volume. But the negative is it drives the brand perception down rather than up in terms of quality. Tudor is now becoming a strong value/quality competitor to the likes of Tag Heuer, Breitling, Omega, respectively.

https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/GMT%20Master%20II/116710%20BLNR/23940/item/134319

Well we sold the last one easy...........so here’s another ...............plus 1k to try find the market top. 3 years old also. The last one was brand new.

Nearly 16k.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    seems like it was the better choice as opposed to the Hulk

All Rolex steel sports pieces are good investments. The two-tone and precious metal pieces are soft in comparison with regards to resale. The Batman, Redline, Hulk, Pepsi, Submariner, all give good returns post discontinuation. Too early to say whether Batman v Hulk is a better investment, as the Hulk is still current. I expect them all to increase the same as the black GMT, Redline, black GMT; after discontinuation. Of all the current steel sports, I consider the Pepsi to have the best investment potential of them all; even more so than the Batman. What makes the Batman less desirable, compared to the Pepsi; is that it is still available on a jubilee (with an updated movement). Really for a steel sports piece to rocket it needs to be totally discontinued like the Redline.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    seems like it was the better choice as opposed to the Hulk

Perhaps. Time will tell. I went BLNR as I got a chance to try it on.

Not had that chance with the hulk. None in the shops and very few in Ireland at all. Rarely seen on a wrist. Cyrus has one (assume he still does); I am hoping to some day get up to the big smoke to try it on.

On the hulk “waiting” list in two ADs. I don’t expect a call ever!

Edit. Asked for a buy quote just there from WF.

11k or so.

Some margin of they can sell at 16k.

29zdi5f.jpg

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »

Not had that chance with the hulk. None in the shops and very few in Ireland at all. Rarely seen on a wrist. Cyrus has one (assume he still does); I am hoping to some day get up to the big smoke to try it on.

Personally I prefer the Kermit. Its a shame that Rolex didn't reissue a ceramic Kermit, rather than than the Hulk. I also prefer the slimmer lugs on the 16610 to the 116610. My other wish would be that they produced the Smurf in steel rather than white gold. Not just for price, but I think the 914L has a nicer satin finish compared to white gold. Shame Tudor didn't reissue the blue Submariner, it would have looked nice in their Pelagos blue dial and ceramic bezel.

Edit. Asked for a buy quote just there from WF.

11k or so.

Some margin of they can sell at 16k.

Thank you for the insight. I always wondered what their typical buying to selling profit margin was on a piece. From what I gather, they are professional and hassle free to deal with; both buying and selling. I don't have any personal experience of them to be honest. A negative I have heard, is that often they supply pieces with links missing. 5 links rather than 7 links in a Submariner etc. They seem to have a thriving Ebay account selling on single links you see, so that must be the supply source for them; removing 1-2 links from every piece they buy. I suppose many prefer to deal with them over a private seller due it being safer. Insured delivery, and no worries on authenticity etc. For high end pieces, I suppose the premium is worth paying, when one looks at the risk of a high level transaction. Are you considering selling your Batman then? If so, what would you buy?

Thank you for the insight. I always wondered what their typical buying to selling profit margin was on a piece. From what I gather, they are professional and hassle free to deal with; both buying and selling. I don't have any personal experience of them to be honest. A negative I have heard, is that often they supply pieces with links missing. 5 links rather than 7 links in a Submariner etc. They seem to have a thriving Ebay account selling on single links you see, so that must be the supply source for them; removing 1-2 links from every piece they buy. I suppose many prefer to deal with them over a private seller due it being safer. Insured delivery, and no worries on authenticity etc. For high end pieces, I suppose the premium is worth paying, when one looks at the risk of a high level transaction. Are you considering selling your Batman then? If so, what would you buy?

I suspect they would offer a little more if pushed. They came back within 10 minutes of asking for the value. I just also realised they had the wrong “quote” reference number.....clearly a copy past jobbie.....they prob get shed loads of requests.

Nah not really selling at the moment, was only curious as the watch price had been rocketing. I buy watches I like rather than to make profit-If they appreciate that’s a bonus to have the security of knowing I can sell again easily.

Right now my wants are a hulk, glashutte panoreserve (grey or blue), jlc ultra thin moon white dial, classic speed-master on black white nato.

That’s said I change my mind regularly so could decide in the morning to trade the blnr in against a hulk or similar.

I suspect they would offer a little more if pushed. They came back within 10 minutes of asking for the value. I just also realised they had the wrong “quote” reference number.....clearly a copy past jobbie.....they prob get shed loads of requests.

Nah not really selling at the moment, was only curious as the watch price had been rocketing. I buy watches I like rather than to make profit-If they appreciate that’s a bonus to have the security of knowing I can sell again easily.

Right now my wants are a hulk, glashutte panoreserve (grey or blue), jlc ultra thin moon white dial, classic speed-master on black white nato.

That’s said I change my mind regularly so could decide in the morning to trade the blnr in against a hulk or similar.

Perhaps the best thing to do is wait until the Batman on jubilee is discontinued and then sell it for peak value. As the supply of black GMT's and Batman dries up, the demand will keep prices strong. The way the Kermit has stayed strong since it was discontinued is evidence of that. With regards to the Hulk I suppose the risk is, that may well be discontinued say next year if Rolex upgrades the 3135 movements in the Submariners. They have been using them since 1988 so its long overdue really. If a Black Bay has a 70 hour power reserve, then really a Submariner should have too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Thanks for posting that 893, when did you get that offer?

• Advertisement

Perhaps the best thing to do is wait until the Batman on jubilee is discontinued and then sell it for peak value. As the supply of black GMT's and Batman dries up, the demand will keep prices strong. The way the Kermit has stayed strong since it was discontinued is evidence of that. With regards to the Hulk I suppose the risk is, that may well be discontinued say next year if Rolex upgrades the 3135 movements in the Submariners. They have been using them since 1988 so its long overdue really. If a Black Bay has a 70 hour power reserve, then really a Submariner should have too.

Blnr won’t be discon for a few years I’d say. Not too interested in profit. Only sell when bored with a watch or to fund a change. Peak value is an interesting concept. Hard to call in current market. Current trajectory for Rolex is not sustainable,logic would dictate. Big drop due? I don’t believe so but massive tail off has to occur: in line with global stock markets. A drop maybe but I think pent up demand in cash rich markets would limit this in the medium term for the sports models.

Let’s be honest with movement updates and other updates. 90 percent of the market don’t give a hoop about this.....Bezel color change....then madness for that 10 percent....... horses for courses and madness for watches.

Predict next year no change to gmt2 line or a coke on jubilee..... And the 10 percent to go nuts and the other 90% to continue buying datejust and OP as the last 30 years.
    AmberGold wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that 893, when did you get that offer?

Just today. They got back within ten minutes! As mentioned they quoted a different reference number to my quote so I assume copy paste jobbie! I asked for a few more also. Suspect they won’t quote at all as no prof of purchase as I am not first owner! Maybe on one, in demand model. I may need to have a pee in cup though....!

Scratch that. Incoming I have been toying with for the last month committed to! The hollerderdazzz Bacardi is to blame I think...

!

With regards to waiting lists around the world; sometimes it depends on country. For example, there is a Rolex AD at the Taj Mahal hotel. They don't display all their steel sports pieces. But when one asks for a Hulk, Submariner, Pepsi, etc; they have them in stock for serious buyers that are ready to do the deal right now. You see in India there is no grey market, no resale market; unlike in Europe. So they have more supply and less demand; than say Europe where speculators buy up all the steel sports pieces as investment pieces. Another thing is this; Gassan's in Holland have several Rolex boutiques at Schiphol airport; and typically they get deliveries on Friday mornings. So you have grey market dealers waiting for them to put any steel sports pieces in the windows and within 20 minutes any that are delivered are sold. The problem is Gassan's won't tell one over the phone which Friday they are getting delivery. The other thing is, they don't actually know themselves what they are getting from Rolex; so one has to keep trying. But its a different story at Gassan's other boutique outside the airport, as it isn't tax discounted its less attractive to the grey market dealers. They don't put the steel sports pieces out on display, but often have them in stock for when asked by someone walking in ready to do the deal right now. They won't tell one over the phone what they have in stock, but walking in with cash; when they see one is a serious buyer not time waster; then the tray comes out from the back. Now I am not suggesting one flies to India to buy a Pepsi or Hulk at retail, as obviously the flights and hotel would negate the saving v grey market premium. But say one does want a steel sports piece, then its worth flying to Holland and keep trying the Gassan boutiques there; as they seem to get more supply than AD's in Ireland and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

With regards to waiting lists around the world; sometimes it depends on country. For example, there is a Rolex AD at the Taj Mahal hotel. They don't display all their steel sports pieces. But when one asks for a Hulk, Submariner, Pepsi, etc; they have them in stock for serious buyers that are ready to do the deal right now. You see in India there is no grey market, no resale market; unlike in Europe. So they have more supply and less demand; than say Europe where speculators buy up all the steel sports pieces as investment pieces. Another thing is this; Gassan's in Holland have several Rolex boutiques at Schiphol airport; and typically they get deliveries on Friday mornings. So you have grey market dealers waiting for them to put any steel sports pieces in the windows and within 20 minutes any that are delivered are sold. The problem is Gassan's won't tell one over the phone which Friday they are getting delivery. The other thing is, they don't actually know themselves what they are getting from Rolex; so one has to keep trying. But its a different story at Gassan's other boutique outside the airport, as it isn't tax discounted its less attractive to the grey market dealers. They don't put the steel sports pieces out on display, but often have them in stock for when asked by someone walking in ready to do the deal right now. They won't tell one over the phone what they have in stock, but walking in with cash; when they see one is a serious buyer not time waster; then the tray comes out from the back. Now I am not suggesting one flies to India to buy a Pepsi or Hulk at retail, as obviously the flights and hotel would negate the saving v grey market premium. But say one does want a steel sports piece, then its worth flying to Holland and keep trying the Gassan boutiques there; as they seem to get more supply than AD's in Ireland and UK.

Madness isn't it.

https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/GMT%20Master%20II/116710%20BLNR/23940/item/134593

Up to 16.3K.

One wonders if these watches even exist. Are they selling. Likely they are priced so high to allow WF give favorable looking values to trade in's to make a customer feel like they gor got value for their own watch.

WF came back to me to see if I was still interested in selling and offered to increase their quote...

https://www.watchfinder.ie/Rolex/GMT%20Master%20II/116710%20BLNR/23940/item/134593

Up to 16.3K.

One wonders if these watches even exist. Are they selling. Likely they are priced so high to allow WF give favorable looking values to trade in's to make a customer feel like they gor got value for their own watch.

WF came back to me to see if I was still interested in selling and offered to increase their quote...

This is total madness. Its a beautiful piece but almost double it retail price! Come on. Good news for you though, would you sell it if someone offered you 16k for it?

Up to 16.3K.

Honestly, I believe their selling prices are real. The hunger for certain steel sports pieces such as; Batman, Hulk, Pepsi, Redline Seadweller, Daytona; is now incredible globally. The market is being fueled by speculators who aren't watch guys or collectors. These are people that have just found out one can gain 100% profit margin on the Pepsi/Hulk/Daytona retail. So they simply join an AD waiting list, buy at retail after the 1-2 year wait, and sell to Watchfinder at profit with no interest (other than financial gain) in the piece/brand itself at all.
    My advice is to sell off your Batman while the market is peaking on it. Regards.

Honestly, I believe their selling prices are real. The hunger for certain steel sports pieces such as; Batman, Hulk, Pepsi, Redline Seadweller, Daytona; is now incredible globally. The market is being fueled by speculators who aren't watch guys or collectors. These are people that have just found out one can gain 100% profit margin on the Pepsi/Hulk/Daytona retail. So they simply join an AD waiting list, buy at retail after the 1-2 year wait, and sell to Watchfinder at profit with no interest (other than financial gain) in the piece/brand itself at all.
    My advice is to sell off your Batman while the market is peaking on it. Regards.

I understand the buying at retail and selling to WF.

But who the hell is buying from WF.

2shea wrote: »
    This is total madness. Its a beautiful piece but almost double it retail price! Come on. Good news for you though, would you sell it if someone offered you 16k for it?

Madness.

It would be hard to refuse infairness.

Fools with too much money! Haha

Wealthy collectors. There are some that have the means to buy what they want right now on the grey market, rather than wait 5 years+ etc for that Daytona.
    For example check out this Youtube channel.
    He has all the hot steel sports pieces; Hulk, Pepsi, Skydweller, Redline, Batman, Daytona.
    As soon as one is released he has it.
    Either he is a VIP at an AD (so bypasses the lists).
    Or I think more probably, just a wealthy collector that gets what he wants instantly via Watchfinder.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiNKKUO1OfqbuPZXYuCQs1w

• Advertisement

2shea wrote: »
    Fools with too much money! Haha

Speculators are far from fools. Even buying at premium on the grey market; a Hulk/Pepsi/Daytona is a good investment. 30%+ profit margin within 2-5 years etc. What other investment gives that level of return so quickly, and so risk free?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

This will do me until my Smurf is allocated. Shame they don't make the Smurf in steel, as I prefer the 904L finish to 18K white gold.
    https://ibb.co/kcBQ5Cs

There's a Smurf sitting in Weirs, and its been there a good while too, long enough to negotiate above the standard discount on a precious metal Rolex.

Time wrote: »
    There's a Smurf sitting in Weirs, and its been there a good while too, long enough to negotiate above the standard discount on a precious metal Rolex.

Thank you for the heads up. But I prefer to deal with Lunnes in Belfast, due to the less expensive UK retail, and also Euro/Sterling exchange rates. (1600 Euro price difference Lunnes v Weirs). What percentage discount do you consider standard on precious metal pieces? Regards.
    https://ibb.co/1GW5pxb
    https://ibb.co/CVPVKxw

Thank you for the heads up. But I prefer to deal with Lunnes in Belfast, due to the less expensive UK retail, and also Euro/Sterling exchange rates. (1600 Euro price difference Lunnes v Weirs). What percentage discount do you consider standard on precious metal pieces? Regards.
    https://ibb.co/1GW5pxb
    https://ibb.co/CVPVKxw

7-10% depending on the watch (like a gold daytona) but with something that really isn't in demand i'd be looking for 15%, i don't think 20-25% they were offering a few years ago is still realistic. But the fact the price in the UK is cheaper, and you can pick them up relatively easy compared to the SS model gives you good bargaining power.

Alternatively i've heard of a few people throwing in a SS model (at retail) as part of a bundle deal, which you then be flipped for an effective discount. What do Lunns offer off the retail?

7-10% depending on the watch (like a gold daytona) but with something that really isn't in demand i'd be looking for 15%, i don't think 20-25% they were offering a few years ago is still realistic. But the fact the price in the UK is cheaper, and you can pick them up relatively easy compared to the SS model gives you good bargaining power.

Alternatively i've heard of a few people throwing in a SS model (at retail) as part of a bundle deal, which you then be flipped for an effective discount. What do Lunns offer off the retail?

Interesting. As far as I am aware Rolex AD's aren't allowed to offer discount. Those that have been caught doing so in the past have lost their AD status.
    I am not aware of Lunne's giving any discount on Rolex.

Interesting. As far as I am aware Rolex AD's aren't allowed to offer discount. Those that have been caught doing so in the past have lost their AD status.
    I am not aware of Lunne's giving any discount on Rolex.

No discount any more on SS and they wouldn't need to anyway with the demand, but on PM pieces you absolutely should be getting a discount. Here's a thread from Rolex Forums suggesting a discount of 20% on that piece! I wouldn't expect the same discount here per se, but it goes to show that the expectation is with a PM is that a significant discount applies.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=581985

No discount any more on SS and they wouldn't need to anyway with the demand, but on PM pieces you absolutely should be getting a discount. Here's a thread from Rolex Forums suggesting a discount of 20% on that piece! I wouldn't expect the same discount here per se, but it goes to show that the expectation is with a PM is that a significant discount applies.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=581985

Thank you for the link.
    I note the poster is based in Canada, and the other comments from America based buyers.
    As far as I know, the case in the UK and Ireland; with regards to discount, is as previously stated, Rolex does not allow AD's to offer discount.
    I concur that two-tone, and precious metal pieces are less in-demand than steel sports pieces, that is a given. So perhaps yes, they should give a discount; but in reality do they? I think not. What I believe to be the case in the UK and Ireland, is that Rolex buyers pay the respective retail prices at AD's; no discount whatsoever.

Thank you for the link.
    I note the poster is based in Canada, and the other comments from America based buyers.
    As far as I know, the case in the UK and Ireland; with regards to discount, is as previously stated, Rolex does not allow AD's to offer discount.
    I concur that two-tone, and precious metal pieces are less in-demand than steel sports pieces, that is a given. So perhaps yes, they should give a discount; but in reality do they? I think not. What I believe to be the case in the UK and Ireland, is that Rolex buyers pay the respective retail prices at AD's; no discount whatsoever.

I got offered a discount on the RG YM in Jan from memory it was 12% and that wasn’t be pushing hard. Even outside of AD BNWT can be had at significant discount. Guardian of time have one for 28k https://guardianoftime.co.uk/brands/rolex/?brandid=32&pricefrom=0&pricethru=320000&page=1&sortwatch=title_desc&pageSize=12 and you get the full warranty with that so it’s worth asking is it worth buying in Lunnes for that much extra

I got offered a discount on the RG YM in Jan from memory it was 12% and that wasn’t be pushing hard. Even outside of AD BNWT can be had at significant discount. Guardian of time have one for 28k https://guardianoftime.co.uk/brands/rolex/?brandid=32&pricefrom=0&pricethru=320000&page=1&sortwatch=title_desc&pageSize=12 and you get the full warranty with that so it’s worth asking is it worth buying in Lunnes for that much extra

Thank you for the information, and the link. To be honest with you, I had never heard of Guardian Of Time.
    I would prefer to deal with Lunnes, due to having built a relationship with them over the years. I have always found their customer service to be excellent. So is it worth paying more for? Maybe not for others, but for me personally, yes it is.
    A 1600 Euro saving on the Irish retail at Weirs is good enough for my liking.
    The thing is, sometimes its worth dealing with someone you trust and have had excellent previous experiences with; rather than taking a chance, and then having a negative one.
    I suppose what I am saying is this, with heavy hitter pieces I prefer to take no chances whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Moved out of photos thread.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement