Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

How hard is it to get the rolex you want

Comments

• THe pound devalues so watches become cheaper, as the pound devalues unemployment rises and people liquidate assets.

Pawn brokers are flooded with rolex. AD's sales decrease as people shift to the second hand market, they shift stock onto the grey market,

People see the prices start to go down and sell off investment pieces in a panic flooding the market with stock. People start buying from the UK seeing the weak pound to the euro so European sellers drop prices to match and retain the business.

Rolex see orders decline so start producing the more desired pieces in great numbers for the sure sale.

The steel rolex is a real watch for the watch guy that has a bit of cash but is not in the haute holology market. THese watches will be susceptible to to general economic conditions, and are very much a disposable income purchase. As an investment, as interest rates rise to battle European inflation investment in watches or classic cars will take less of the investment euro

But thats just my opinion man.........grain of salt.

part of the reason steel rolex are so hard to get at the moment is the weak pound, england is one of the cheapest places in the world to buy one in (esp if you arent paying VAT)

• Cyrus wrote: »
    part of the reason steel rolex are so hard to get at the moment is the weak pound, england is one of the cheapest places in the world to buy one in (esp if you arent paying VAT)

Certainly a factor fir the shortage locally but for desirable models the shortage is global by the sounds of things.

• 893bet wrote: »
    Certainly a factor but the shortage locally for desirable models is global by the sounds of things.

at rrp it is, but if you go to Japan for example you can walk into any shop you like and buy a ceramic daytona because they can charge what they like for them.

scarcity is certainly more pronounced in the UK than anywhere else.

• [IMG][/img]CA7252_D4-_CDD8-4996-8824-2_C9_BD6_A1_DA9_F.jpgimg upload

£8k retail and this is the cheapest I’ve seen a new one for, normally £20k

• OmegaGene wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]CA7252_D4-_CDD8-4996-8824-2_C9_BD6_A1_DA9_F.jpgimg upload

£8k retail and this is the cheapest I’ve seen a new one for, normally £20k

That's just stupid. Leave them there at that price. It's just daftness. You'd be some pleb to pay 20k when they are 8k new.

• Advertisement

• I don’t like the Pepsi personally

• I think with all the madness that brands like Tudor, Zenith, and to a lesser extent Omega can take advantage.

I for one would love a ceramic daytona SS, but the cost is outrageous. The tudor black bay chrono or the heritage chrono is much better value and now has a high quality movement that is sort of in house. I suppose these brands fill in that gap where your willing to spend a bit of cash on a non "Sh1tter" but you dont want the worry of a piece the cost of a car. Tudors brand is making headway.

If your in the PP zone this makes no difference, but the usual SS Rolex guy like me is being priced out of the market. Thoughts?

• So thanks to all who replied, I've been to a jewllers in Ireland that had a batman in the safe and one in Zurich that had a Pepsi on display. Each to their own but the Pepsi won out for me so I've put my name on the wait list for one (3 and 2 years respectively 😱) not in a rush so happy to wait.... Not paying over RRP so let's see how it goes

• Bren_C wrote: »
    So thanks to all who replied, I've been to a jewllers in Ireland that had a batman in the safe and one in Zurich that had a Pepsi on display. Each to their own but the Pepsi won out for me so I've put my name on the wait list for one (3 and 2 years respectively ��) not in a rush so happy to wait.... Not paying over RRP so let's see how it goes

Unless supply or market conditions change you may never get to the top of the list. Unfortunately that seems to be the way it is working at this point for certain models.

• Yeah I know that's a risk but will look at it again in 24months and pick a new watch if needed, air king and speedmaster aren't bad backups!

• Advertisement

• Bren_C wrote: »
    Yeah I know that's a risk but will look at it again in 24months and pick a new watch if needed, air king and speedmaster aren't bad backups!

Keep an eye out on adverts and the sale thread here. Hard to argue with 2nd hand. Easily sell on for a small loss or even a small profit.

• I asked this in this thread already but it wasn't picked up, is there decent resale value on the "lesser" rolex models than the Pepsi type?? Eg say (as the person who started the discussion has now said) an air king? (or say an explorer or sub). I can obviously look at second hand asking prices, but I've no idea if those asking prices are realistic.

Would be very interested to hear opinions on what might be the safest option (from a possible future resale perspective) between dropping approx 5k on an air King, or 6500 on a sub, or 7500 on a gmt....

Thanks and will drop it after this if nobody responds!

• Buying any Rolex is the equivalent of buying Bitcoin 10 years ago... It'll make you rich. Just don't wear it or enjoy it...

• Bluefoam wrote: »
    Buying any Rolex is the equivalent of buying Bitcoin 10 years ago... It'll make you rich. Just don't wear it or enjoy it...

Not really. It’s only particular steel sports models that perform well and even then the Explorer 1(does okay) & 2, Milgauss and Airking won’t see you making any positive returns. Precious metal models nearly all sell below RRP and the Cellini line is a complete money burner.

• I asked this in this thread already but it wasn't picked up, is there decent resale value on the "lesser" rolex models than the Pepsi type?? Eg say (as the person who started the discussion has now said) an air king? (or say an explorer or sub). I can obviously look at second hand asking prices, but I've no idea if those asking prices are realistic.

Would be very interested to hear opinions on what might be the safest option (from a possible future resale perspective) between dropping approx 5k on an air King, or 6500 on a sub, or 7500 on a gmt....

Thanks and will drop it after this if nobody responds!

if you want to protect your initial investment, a sub or black bezelled gmt at rrp or a little less is your best bet (being models that you can get at RRP or close to it if patient)

• The Cellini line is a complete money burner.

Just checked there and you can get a 2011 18k Gold Cellini on Chrono for €3,000. I hope this holds true. I love this model of Cellini which currently retails at around €20k.

456720.jpg

All I have to do is wait another 6 years and pick this baby up for the bargain of €3k :rolleyes:

• oxocube wrote: »
    Just checked there and you can get a 2011 18k Gold Cellini on Chrono for €3,000. I hope this holds true. I love this model of Cellini which currently retails at around €10k.

All I have to do is wait another 6 years and pick this baby up for the bargain of €3k :rolleyes:

That's really nice, does seem excessively cheap though.

Edit: Just checked they're a bit funky aren't they. Wonder would the likes of Obama have slowed depreciation down a bit for those current models.

• I'm on the fence. I would consiser an explorer or maybe even consider the new OP 39mm but the fact that I haven't had either on my wrist doses not help. There was some in Dubai airport when I was passing through but I hadn't the time to stop for a right look. Sickened I didn't.

• 2shea wrote: »
    I'm on the fence. I would consiser an explorer or maybe even consider the new OP 39mm but the fact that I haven't had either on my wrist doses not help. There was some in Dubai airport when I was passing through but I hadn't the time to stop for a right look. Sickened I didn't.

They're not hard watches to come by. Liked the new dial OPs when they were unveiled, but thought they were extremely plain in the metal.

• They're not hard watches to come by. Liked the new dial OPs when they were unveiled, but thought they were extremely plain in the metal.

I remember seeing explorers in all the shops carried rolex. But of course when I get interested in that model they are not stock. I haven't been in London for a while. Might pop over one of my days off for a look around. Where have you seen the OP and explorers?

• Advertisement

• 2shea wrote: »
    I remember seeing explorers in all the shops carried rolex. But of course when I get interested in that model they are not stock. I haven't been in London for a while. Might pop over one of my days off for a look around. Where have you seen the OP and explorers?

London is probably the worst place in the world to be looking for Rolex watches. Keanes in Cork had all the less desirable SS model last week.

• I was in Stuttgart airport in May and the watch shop had any amount of Rolex that i would often see there is little or no supply of here. Similar story in Amsterdam airport in November when we were passing through

• London is probably the worst place in the world to be looking for Rolex watches. Keanes in Cork had all the less desirable SS model last week.

No it’s not lol
    I was there last week and went to selfridges watch room, tried on a rose gold Daytona, they have plenty of stock but if you want a discount forget it

No it’s not lol
    I was there last week and went to selfridges watch room, tried on a rose gold Daytona, they have plenty of stock but if you want a discount forget it

any subs or gmts?

rose gold daytona isnt hard to get to be fair.

No it’s not lol

But reality, OmegaGene. Countless threads on the rolexForums and TZ-UK decrying the stock levels in London. The place is notoriously difficult to get desired models at the moment, what with the supply, value of the pound and the level of income that goes through there. I didn’t see a single sought after model in my time there last month. A moped gang hit WOS on reagent st the day after I was there and they didn’t score a single one. And even you do see one (outside Heathrow) they’re going to ask you do pick a day date etc as well before they’ll let you out the door.

• On a side note there are two Batman (116710BLNR) and one hulk (116610LV) on adverts at the moment, all 2-6 years old and all going at or below retail.

• On a side note there are two Batman (116710BLNR) and one hulk (116610LV) on adverts at the moment, all 2-6 years old and all going at or below retail.

The 3 are all above retail?

• We may be confusing Irish retail v UK

They are about 10 percent pricier here

• Point is non are going for the 3-5k premium the investors would have you believe. Yeah its cool you can wear a watch for a couple of years and still get out what you have in or near enough, but the fact that they are readily available out there at reasonable prices doesn't gel with the massive waiting lists and limited numbers the AD's tell you about, nor the massive investment potential purported. Something is fishy IMHO.

• Advertisement

• Point is non are going for the 3-5k premium the investors would have you believe. Yeah its cool you can wear a watch for a couple of years and still get out what you have in or near enough, but the fact that they are readily available out there at reasonable prices doesn't gel with the massive waiting lists and limited numbers the AD's tell you about, nor the massive investment potential purported. Something is fishy IMHO.

The notion of "investing" needs to be eradicated from watch forums. Imagine a fund where a minority of investors were delighted with a percentage return of their initial sum after a few years.

The BLNR is an interesting one. It was amongst the most popular models (still is) until a few months ago, with matching resale values. And then, around six months ago, the price started softening.

Now at the same time stories of BLNR availability started becoming more frequent. There seemed to be a number of posters on TRF just magically finding them in ADs. This is all anecdotal, but it does look that Rolex just started increasing the flow. And you have to imagine that these watches were all manufactured within a certain window and that Rolex are clearing inventory for storage and to manipulate the market for the BLRO. It really is just mania.

There's another thread on TRF in the last few days relating to the Milgauss GV. That they were going for over twice the RRP when released. There was the expectation that it'd be a limited edition and "investors" piled in. Now they keep lonely Airkings company in AD windows.

Advertisement