Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyer wants to pay via PayPal

Options
  • 03-03-2021 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Selling something via Facebook marketplace
    Buyer wants to buy using PayPal
    I’d rather not due to the scams I’ve read up about.
    There is nothing wrong with the product but this is the 3rd person and I don’t want to keep refusing either.
    Is there anything I need to do check or do before I agree to it
    Anything you’d recommend ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What way were you intending to charge them?

Basically, the advice for taking money on paypal is the reverse of buying - when selling you want a friends and family payment that is close to irreversible. When buying, never ever ever send a friends and family payment for the same reason. Obviously if everyone does both of these insistences nothing will ever get sold!

Don't believe any emails that say you've received payment; log in to Paypal direct (not from the email) and check - as people will generate fake emails with fake links.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Go friends and family only.

If posting it, make sure to go recorded delivery or they may claim to PayPal they've not received it and then you'll need proof that they've signed for it.

No real issues, how much are we talking about? 1-500 I'd be happy to deal with PayPal, anything more an I'd be weary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

L1011 wrote: »
    What way were you intending to charge them?

Basically, the advice for taking money on paypal is the reverse of buying - when selling you want a friends and family payment that is close to irreversible. When buying, never ever ever send a friends and family payment for the same reason. Obviously if everyone does both of these insistences nothing will ever get sold!

Don't believe any emails that say you've received payment; log in to Paypal direct (not from the email) and check - as people will generate fake emails with fake links.

Ideally banktransfer or revolut. I woudnt mind PayPal had it been eBay or adverts due to the fact I can check reviews etc
    I’m just abit wary about selling on fbe Facebook marketplace and accepting PayPal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

RossieMan wrote: »
    Go friends and family only.

If posting it, make sure to go recorded delivery or they may claim to PayPal they've not received it and then you'll need proof that they've signed for it.

No real issues, how much are we talking about? 1-500 I'd be happy to deal with PayPal, anything more an I'd be weary.

Nobody in their right mind will buy with a Friends & Family requirement. All advice is for buyers never to use that, due to scams and no comeback.

skinny90 wrote: »
    Ideally banktransfer or revolut. I woudnt mind PayPal had it been eBay or adverts due to the fact I can check reviews etc
    I’m just abit wary about selling on fbe Facebook marketplace and accepting PayPal

As seller, you're much safer than the buyer using Paypal. Just confirm the funds are in before dispatching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    As seller, you're much safer than the buyer using Paypal. Just confirm the funds are in before dispatching.

how are you safer. the buyer can say what they like and say they didnt get it or broken etc. and claim back the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

The seller can get royally screwed with PayPal, buyers have 90 days to file a claim and there are plenty out there who will try anything and not think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Tails142 wrote: »
    The seller can get royally screwed with PayPal, buyers have 90 days to file a claim and there are plenty out there who will try anything and not think twice.

And a buyer using friends & family has zero protection. At all. Neither paypal or bank will lift a finger for you and the police will most likely be able to do very little either; they will inform you that even if they catch the person that does not mean you will get your money back.

Some random person I don't know insisting on "Friends & family" for services or goods is pretty much on-par with someone insisting on Western Union ...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

how are you safer. the buyer can say what they like and say they didnt get it or broken etc. and claim back the money

Remove the money from the account before they can make a claim to get it back. You'll loose your Paypal account but keep the money.

Which they can do with most methods of payment. It's a wonder commerce exists online with such worries for sellers.

• Advertisement

I've done a chargeback as "goods not received" on a friends and family payment I (foolishly) made via Paypal and got my money back.

I genuinely did not get the goods and the seller was ignoring all attempts to contact them. I never did receive them.

(eta - I do not recommend paying by friends and family!)

This has been the kind of messages I’ve been receiving. No questions on phone just straight to purchase and insist on my PayPal details

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AlwaysAmber

This has been the kind of messages I’ve been receiving. No questions on phone just straight to purchase and insist on my PayPal details

From the images, that looks like a total scam to me.

He'll process the payment to you when you give him your email address.

He'll process the payment to you when you give him your email address.

He has no interest in the product, straight up just wants to buy via PayPal and doesn’t want to play ball on the details. I’ve reported him hopefully his other messages are the same

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

From the images, that looks like a total scam to me.

Why?

The messages look fine to me, as OP said it would be better if there was another way to verify the guy like feedback on Adverts

I'm not seeing any red flags from those messages anyway, I've had and made offers on Adverts where things go down similarly

OP if you want to be careful about accepting Paypal payments from a stranger then fair enough but there's nothing in 2 images you've uploaded that is strange imo

Why?

The messages look fine to me, as OP said it would be better if there was another way to verify the guy like feedback on Adverts

I'm not seeing any red flags from those messages anyway, I've had and made offers on Adverts where things go down similarly

OP if you want to be careful about accepting Paypal payments from a stranger then fair enough but there's nothing in 2 images you've uploaded that is strange imo

I asked him for his address twice and he blanked it. I asked him for his PayPal details and he refused

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

I asked him for his address twice and he blanked it. I asked him for his PayPal details and he refused

It's an email address? Why are you afraid to give out your email address? For fear of being paid??

Just withdraw the cash after they send it and you'll be fine, it's not that big a deal and you're definitely overthinking this.

He could easily turn it on you and say why does this guy want my address before I can even pay him

I think you're looking at this based on your opinion that scammers use Paypal, and of course there's nothing wrong with trying to be as careful and taking all measures to protect yourself if that's how you want to operate I'm just saying you can look at a situation however you want

His address would be supplied through Paypal if he chooses the paying for goods option

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Why not 'test' him by asking him to Revolut the money to you.

Or even a Bank TT..... but u will have to give him YOUR bank details for that and TO ME that is worse!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Never had a problem with Paypal buying or selling, when buying always op for the buying goods not friends and family, if seller excuse for wanting you to use friends and family is because of the fees, offer to pay the fees just add it to total ,a least you will have some protection.

You're way overthinking this and getting the process about face. He needs o get your email to pay you, only then do you need his address. He's taking a risk too: he's sending payment to a guy who wants his address and seems strangely reluctant to use the straightforward PayPal process. I see nothing untoward in the conversation you posted except you're not giving him what he needs to pay for the item.

You're way overthinking this and getting the process about face. He needs o get your email to pay you, only then do you need his address. He's taking a risk too: he's sending payment to a guy who wants his address and seems strangely reluctant to use the straightforward PayPal process. I see nothing untoward in the conversation you posted except you're not giving him what he needs to pay for the item.

Jim do you not it’s strange not to ask any question whatsoever about a 2nd hand item. Bare in mind this is a 6 year old phone I have for sale!?
    I’ve included in the advert that the battery health is 70% I’ve priced it at a point open to negotiation and here’s this guy straight to point about postage and PayPal without any questions about the product.

Furthermore it’s the same conversation I’ve had with 3/4 other people. No questions about the product or price, simply how much to post, will you accept PayPal

It’s too good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

Jim do you not it’s strange not to ask any question whatsoever about a 2nd hand item. Bare in mind this is a 6 year old phone I have for sale!?
    I’ve included in the advert that the battery health is 70% I’ve priced it at a point open to negotiation and here’s this guy straight to point about postage and PayPal without any questions about the product.

Furthermore it’s the same conversation I’ve had with 3/4 other people. No questions about the product or price, simply how much to post, will you accept PayPal

It’s too good to be true

What are you afraid of? When you get paid, withdraw the money? It's not a house they're buying it's, I presume, a relatively cheap phone.

If I was buying it, I'd conduct myself the same way. What questions are you expecting? My god.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Never had a problem with Paypal buying or selling, when buying always op for the buying goods not friends and family, if seller excuse for wanting you to use friends and family is because of the fees, offer to pay the fees just add it to total ,a least you will have some protection.

Plus PP will cover return shipping if you need to send goods back.

When selling, I always give the buyer the option: go friend and family or goods, but if the latter they cover fees and pay for more expensive registered shipping. I haven't met a single person who goes for the more expensive option. I never screwed them, but it amazes me how much a prospect of saving 3 euro changes behaviour

It’s too good to be true

If its a 6 year old phone how many questions can you ask that you havent already put into the description yourself, its not going to be worth the time to most people to go investigating everything for a phone that im assuming is worth €100 or so

What questions do you want him to ask that would make him a believable buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

From the messages here, you're making one mistake: asking for shipping address. PayPal transaction will contain shipping address, don't ever ship anywhere else.

You can ask for email to send PayPal invoice.

It’s too good to be true

Can you not see that you are the one out of line. You had the same conversation with 3/4 others? Maybe because that's normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

There are a good few scams with paypal. Just a few points on this.

Buyer does not need to provide address as it is provided on paypal. once they have paid by paypal, unless they use friends and family method. However it is unusual to ignore the sellers question about address.

Have you mentioned on ad whether it is locked to any network. If I was buying, thats one of the first questions I would ask.

You could say that you've been offered 210 by someone else and then say its theirs for 220, see what happens then.

Another option would be to ask where they are from, if buyer says they are from Rathgar, seller could say I have a brother living in Rathmines and I can post to them and they can meet in person and give them cash.

Paypal is very risky selling, say op sells the phone, buyer can open claim and return a box containing just a paper weight. I would be looking for buyer to pay by revolut. But if you haven't mentioned revolut, ask buyer for their phone number and you can check via their phone number if they have revolut or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

timple23 wrote: »
    There are a good few scams with paypal. Just a few points on this.

Buyer does not need to provide address as it is provided on paypal. once they have paid by paypal, unless they use friends and family method. However it is unusual to ignore the sellers question about address.

Have you mentioned on ad whether it is locked to any network. If I was buying, thats one of the first questions I would ask.

You could say that you've been offered 210 by someone else and then say its theirs for 220, see what happens then.

Another option would be to ask where they are from, if buyer says they are from Rathgar, seller could say I have a brother living in Rathmines and I can post to them and they can meet in person and give them cash.

Paypal is very risky selling, say op sells the phone, buyer can open claim and return a box containing just a paper weight. I would be looking for buyer to pay by revolut. But if you haven't mentioned revolut, ask buyer for their phone number and you can check via their phone number if they have revolut or not.

this is a good point. you have quoted them for postage when you have no idea where they are.

Advertisement