Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buyer wants to pay via PayPal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

this is a good point. you have quoted them for postage when you have no idea where they are.

Not the point I am trying to make. Post will cost the same within 32 counties.

A genuine buyer would have no problem meeting someone in person to purchase.

A scammer/fraudster relies on the fact that the item is being posted. (Unless they have counterfeit cash)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Can you not see that you are the one out of line. You had the same conversation with 3/4 others? Maybe because that's normal.

Hi Jim heres the thing, on all regular avenues, dondeal, adverts, ebay etc its not normal. I have mail boxes full of comments and questions on items I sell/what would be the best price etc.
    Facebook marketplace I am getting the same generic queries. no questions on best price or product just price for postage please and insisting on paypal.

im not new to paypal I use it quite regularly and if you read my OP you would see that this behavior is specific to facebook marketplace

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

timple23 wrote: »
    Not the point I am trying to make. Post will cost the same within 32 counties.

A genuine buyer would have no problem meeting someone in person to purchase.

A scammer/fraudster relies on the fact that the item is being posted. (Unless they have counterfeit cash)

with a 5km restriction still in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

with a 5km restriction still in place?

In OP’s situation. They ask where buyer is from, if buyer says they’re from Rathgar, OP can say that they have a brother that lives in Rathmines, which is within 5km. OP can say that they will post phone to brother who can meet buyer in person for cash. A genuine buyer would more than likely agree to this. A fraudster would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭11521323

In OP’s situation. They ask where buyer is from, if buyer says they’re from Rathgar, OP can say that they have a brother that lives in Rathmines, which is within 5km. OP can say that they will post phone to brother who can meet buyer in person for cash. A genuine buyer would more than likely agree to this. A fraudster would not.

That's an awful lot of hassle for a €100 phone, if I was interested and I was told that this was the way the transaction would happen I'd say ceeya.

It's a €100 item, it's not a lot of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you want the buyer to meet a third party in person who is not the owner of the phone? smells scammy to me and not something i would ever agree to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

11521323 wrote: »
    That's an awful lot of hassle for a €100 phone, if I was interested and I was told that this was the way the transaction would happen I'd say ceeya.

It's a €100 item, it's not a lot of money.

It’s actually 200 but that’s beside the point. This behaviour is only specific to Facebook market place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Or simply say 'I am going to visit the brother and could meet'. If the buyer says OK, even better - fantastic. If the buyer starts to say that they will be on holidays in Costa Panama next week, move on.

Advertisement