Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Well, the lack of a rail service can't be benefiting the region either. Places like Tuam are off my list of places to visit just the same as vast swathes of the north-west. I can't remember the last time that I was in places like Cavan, Monaghan, Clones, Enniskillen etc....

Dungarvan and Kilmacthomas don't have a rail service, but an awful lot of people visited them last year.
    Gort, on the other hand doesn't get many visitors nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,990 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Grandeeod wrote: »
    In terms of the current rail network, Where?

i couldn't say for definite, but i'm going to go with either lj-waterford, limerick ballybroaphy and possibly rosslare as well, if i'm being asked to pick a line or lines. but it could possibly be anywhere.
    Grandeeod wrote: »
    The WRC is a blatant example of politicians developing the rail network in a very poor manner.

in the form it took, i'd agree. in general though, a through limerick-galway service does in my view have a lot of potential for usership, but it needed to be done right. the reopening of intermediat stations like adrahan etc shouldn't have happened, the ennis-athenry section should have been reopened as a non-stop through route serving ennis, athenry and galway only.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

i couldn't say for definite, but i'm going to go with either lj-waterford, limerick ballybroaphy and possibly rosslare as well, if i'm being asked to pick a line or lines. but it could possibly be anywhere.

in the form it took, i'd agree. in general though, a through limerick-galway service does in my view have a lot of potential for usership, but it needed to be done right. the reopening of intermediat stations like adrahan etc shouldn't have happened, the ennis-athenry section should have been reopened as a non-stop through route serving ennis, athenry and galway only.

Gort at least has partial sense, has an actual usership (compared to Ardrahan and Craughwell, where in most stops the doors don't open), makes more sense than Attymon at least

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Gort at least has partial sense, has an actual usership (compared to Ardrahan and Craughwell, where in most stops the doors don't open), makes more sense than Attymon at least

fair enough.
    i presume Attymon exists as the railhead for the former loughrea branch stations though so that's why it's still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

What happened today in Galway coco was entirely predictable Sinn Fein/West on Track plotted this one out in Claremorris. But this time West on Track I think have played a dumb hand, they are now despised in Tuam/Athenry, I mean despised, the anger is mounting and what's more a lot of that anger is coming from ordinary people, nobody is listening to West on Track anymore, they are finished, the whole thing now is about stopping the greenway, it is sad really because the greenway will happen, unfornatelyl all those cllrs did today was deny any chance of getting a cut of the funding out there and available now, I do hope all the vitriol I am hearing comes to pass, no harm to see some of he flabby white boys kicked out on their arses.

• Advertisement

westtip wrote: »
    What happened today in Galway coco was entirely predictable Sinn Fein/West on Track plotted this one out in Claremorris. But this time West on Track I think have played a dumb hand, they are now despised in Tuam/Athenry, I mean despised, the anger is mounting and what's more a lot of that anger is coming from ordinary people, nobody is listening to West on Track anymore, they are finished, the whole thing now is about stopping the greenway, it is sad really because the greenway will happen, unfornatelyl all those cllrs did today was deny any chance of getting a cut of the funding out there and available now, I do hope all the vitriol I am hearing comes to pass, no harm to see some of he flabby white boys kicked out on their arses.
    The reality is that the original motion to examine the feasibility of putting a greenway on the disused rail line from Athenry to Milltown was passed by a significant margin. Clever politicking by West on track managed to frustrate the original motion sufficiently to effectively keep Galway outside the funding deadline, but it won't bring them a railway, it just deferred the greenway for now.
    The tide has turned however, and the wot councillors in Galway put their heads above the parapet yesterday and are facing annihilation next May as a result. The dam is leaking badly now and wot hasn't a big enough finger to stick in it.
    Wot is now the proverbial headless chicken, running around pointlessly and not realising it's already dead. It's main function now is stopping greenways, not really a good reason to stay in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Could you put a list of how each councillor voted on here?

Could you put a list of how each councillor voted on here?
    I don't have it, the minutes won't be available until close to the next meeting.
    Perhaps somebody who was in the Chamber might oblige?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

eastwest wrote: »
    The reality is that the original motion to examine the feasibility of putting a greenway on the disused rail line from Athenry to Milltown was passed by a significant margin. Clever politicking by West on track managed to frustrate the original motion sufficiently to effectively keep Galway outside the funding deadline, but it won't bring them a railway, it just deferred the greenway for now.
    The tide has turned however, and the wot councillors in Galway put their heads above the parapet yesterday and are facing annihilation next May as a result. The dam is leaking badly now and wot hasn't a big enough finger to stick in it.
    Wot is now the proverbial headless chicken, running around pointlessly and not realising it's already dead. It's main function now is stopping greenways, not really a good reason to stay in business.

West on Track have succeeded in muddying the waters, exposing themselves as the dinnasours of western Irish politics, pissing off the growing Greenway support network, embarrassing the county executives, given a launch pad for prospective Greenway candidates in Athenry, Loughrea and Ballinasloe and emboldening the activists. Fair play lads. We'll played and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sonnyblack

Can anyone give me a brief description about what happened at the meeting?

1. What was the exact motion?
    2. Was there a debate?
    3. What was the result and who voted which way?

Sorry to be a pain but i'd like to fully understand what went on.

Thanks

• Advertisement

sonnyblack wrote: »

2. Was there a debate?

Thanks

Best to wait for the minutes to be put live and have a link posted here. Even the people involved in framing motions and counter motions don't seem to be sure what they have done. They may inadvertently have the Connemara Greenway mothballed with the Athenry-Tuam-Milltown one without realising what they were doing. It'll depend on how it's minuted.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Best to wait for the minutes to be put live and have a link posted here. Even the people involved in framing motions and counter motions don't seem to be sure what they have done. They may inadvertently have the Connemara Greenway mothballed with the Athenry-Tuam-Milltown one without realising what they were doing. It'll depend on how it's minuted.
    A source inside council executive circles in the west tells me that it does indeed look this way. The spoiler motion appears to have locked all greenway projects in the county out of the funding process. The only exception appears to be the Athlone Galway greenway which was specifically excluded.
    That's bad enough from the overall county point of view, but there is also a fear among the higher echelons in Galway that this monumental cockup might be just the straw that tips the scales in the debate around the amalgamation of city and county, not a popular option for senior clerks who would see a whole bloc of highly paid promotional opportunities wiped out at the stroke of a pen.
    Given the undoubted possibility there may have been some tacit support for the spoiler motion by WOT supporters in executive circles, this could yet turn into an enormous backfire for them.
    This will be interesting as it develops.

The editorial in the Galway Advertiser pulls no punches regarding the disgusting antics by the county Council

462394.jpg

The editorial in the Galway Advertiser pulls no punches regarding the disgusting antics by the county Council

462394.jpg
    Other stuff in the same vein in local media. The press in Galway has (albeit belatedly) turned on wot. This episode was a major own goal for them from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Other stuff in the same vein in local media. The press in Galway has (albeit belatedly) turned on wot. This episode was a major own goal for them from start to finish.

The are getting slated all sides about it. It has also got a lot more local people talking about the Greenway than there were previously. A lot of anger out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

The editorial in the Galway Advertiser
    That's a great line:
    Nobody marched for the trains that are not coming back.
    There is some more information about the meeting also in The Advertiser:
    At County Hall on Monday, councillors had voted 18 in favour and 17 against a counter motion proposed by Cllr Jimmy McClearn ‘that Galway County Council seek funding from the Department of Transport for a feasibility study of all options for a greenway in the county to link a national greenway route to include Clifden, Tuam, Athenry, Oranmore, Loughrea, Gort, Ballinasloe, Portumna, Headford, Glenamaddy, Clarinbridge... in what would be a greenway master plan for the county’.

The carrying of this motion resulted in Cllr Donagh Killilea’s motion ... becoming null and void.

Cllr Roche termed the counter motion as “extremely mischievous” and said the manner in which the voting process was carried out in the chamber on Monday left a lot to be desired. “It [the counter motion] was a deliberate attempt to make sure the feasibility study never saw the light of day as some just do not want the rail line touched."
    Well played Canney/WOT - ye got your wish and The Greenway is delayed - but if you think this will bring back the trains, you are mistaken.

Then again, I think it's Dog In The Manger from WOT - they know it won't be used for trains, but they're trying to prevent it being used for anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

sonnyblack wrote: »

2. Was there a debate?

Thanks

If you're on FB the Quiet Man Greenway Page has various accounts of what happened including the motion and counter-motion if I remember right and a list of who voted for what but there are different interpretations of what the motion means or whether it can be rescinded. Some seem to think the amendment could be declared invalid and others disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

Well, the lack of a rail service can't be benefiting the region either. Places like Tuam are off my list of places to visit just the same as vast swathes of the north-west. I can't remember the last time that I was in places like Cavan, Monaghan, Clones, Enniskillen etc....

Can you only leave the country by boat?

Can you only leave the country by boat?

i didn't know tuam and cavan were in a different country. i thought they were in ireland, so no leaving the country or boats required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's fair to say that that's more an issue with you than any transport system.

The number of people who disregard the 98% of the country that's outside walking distance from a train station is minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

It's fair to say that that's more an issue with you than any transport system.

The number of people who disregard the 98% of the country that's outside walking distance from a train station is minimal.

So walking distance is the only valid criteria in the use of a railway station? Curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

So walking distance is the only valid criteria in the use of a railway station? Curious.

No, the poster says the entirety of the North West of the country is inaccessible to them because they have no train line. I take from this that they've no car and refuse to use buses, otherwise they'd have no issue accessing the North West.

I suppose I could have taken into account taxis from the train station, but that's a form of holidaying I've never heard anyone doing.

Actually bikes could also increase their range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

No, the poster says the entirety of the North West of the country is inaccessible to them because they have no train line. I take from this that they've no car and refuse to use buses, otherwise they'd have no issue accessing the North West.

I suppose I could have taken into account taxis from the train station, but that's a form of holidaying I've never heard anyone doing.

You're trying to read too much into what I said. I have been to all the places that I mentioned but there are not places I would be in a hurry to revisit due to their lack of rail access. I use long-distance buses only when I have to get to somewhere that is otherwise inaccessible but my point was that a lack of a good rail service makes an area less attractive for visitors, potential employers etc. Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think so.

You're trying to read too much into what I said. I have been to all the places that I mentioned but there are not places I would be in a hurry to revisit due to their lack of rail access. I use long-distance buses only when I have to get to somewhere that is otherwise inaccessible but my point was that a lack of a good rail service makes an area less attractive for visitors, potential employers etc. Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think so.

Lisdoonvarna
    Doolin
    Cliffs of Moher
    Dublin Airport
    Rock of Cashel
    Clonmacnoise
    Bundoran
    Slieve League
    Marble Arch Caves
    Newgrange
    Etc.

You'd want a hell of a bike to get from, say, Clones, to get to the nearest railway station.

Lisdoonvarna
    Doolin
    Cliffs of Moher
    Dublin Airport
    Rock of Cashel
    Clonmacnoise
    Bundoran
    Slieve League
    Marble Arch Caves
    Newgrange
    Etc.

This does seem to prove that Irish bike campaigners discount or dismiss the use of railways in Ireland.

Serious question. In your mind- what's the difference between a "long-distance bus" and a train?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

If a good rail service was a prerequisite for anything in Ireland, we could shut down the country tomorrow.

Galway is a hub for medical device companies. Do you really believe that proximity to a railway station was a consideration when setting up these facilities.

The dismissal of railways as having a role in the West of Ireland has an interesting parallel in Scotland - where despite similar wiseacre campaigns against it, the Borders Railway has become a success.

http://www.campaignforbordersrail.org

• Advertisement

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Serious question. In your mind- what's the difference between a "long-distance bus" and a train?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=2i3aVMKBgFU#menu

Advertisement