Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The LG G6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭djr

I don't think so, it's the H870 model.
    Ordered the g6 from Amazon.it there two days ago. How long has it taken for people to receive it? Looking forward to moving on from an s7, though I'm concerned that the camera might not be as good as I'm used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

It took over a week to get from Amazon.it There was only one shipping method.

I'm actually surprised there is not more interest in the G6.

Best camera I've seen on a smart phone. Using an S7 Edge for the last year or so and the camera is good but the G6 is better again. The video quality is excellent also. Watching some videos from last week on a 55 inch TV and I couldn't get over how great the quality was on screen.

Ok, it doesn't have the 835 like other flaghships but that doesn't bother me. There is very little in the difference between the 821 and 835 in real world tests. I HATE the edge screens on the samsungs, they are so gimmicky and useless. It has microSD for expansion, so I'm not concerned that it only has 32GB storage, as I have a 128GB card in it.

I have a few cases and a sparin glass protector on it now.

There's a dual SIM model - H870DS, it appears to be the same price.

Currently the H870 €470 on Amazon.it and €387 on eGlobal. (exc. delivery charges)

Edit: price drop on eGlobal. Thanks to 4real for pointing that out.

Ok, it doesn't have the 835 like other flaghships but that doesn't bother me. There is very little in the difference between the 821 and 835 in real world tests. I HATE the edge screens on the samsungs, they are so gimmicky and useless. It has microSD for expansion, so I'm not concerned that it only has 32GB storage, as I have a 128GB card in it.

Can't comment on 821 to 835, but 820 to 835 there's a massive improvement in battery life and performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭4real

It took over a week to get from Amazon.it There was only one shipping method.

I'm actually surprised there is not more interest in the G6.

Best camera I've seen on a smart phone. Using an S7 Edge for the last year or so and the camera is good but the G6 is better again. The video quality is excellent also. Watching some videos from last week on a 55 inch TV and I couldn't get over how great the quality was on screen.

I have a few cases and a sparin glass protector on it now.

There's a dual SIM model - H870DS, it appears to be the same price.

Currently the H870 €470 on Amazon.it and €390 on eGlobal. (exc. delivery charges)

dropped to 376.19 today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Anyone here bought their G6 from eglobalcentral? Getting a serious twitch in my PayPal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

corwill wrote: »
    Anyone here bought their G6 from eglobalcentral? Getting a serious twitch in my PayPal.

I thought eglobal were dodgy enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

emmetkenny wrote: »

Some people on the board swear by them.

I've seen plenty of both good and bad reports on them. They have the G6 for €376 today, though <rubs thighs>...

corwill wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of both good and bad reports on them. They have the G6 for €376 today, though <rubs thighs>...

That's why I was looking them up as well. I'd imagine you could be caught with customs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

That's why I was looking them up as well. I'd imagine you could be caught with customs though.

They ship from inside EU I think? For the .eu site?

• Advertisement

beardo81 wrote: »
    They ship from inside EU I think? For the .eu site?

I thought they shipped from China. I could be wrong though.

The amazon.it price is almost the same as eglobalcentral + tax. Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭markf1982

i bought from eglobal abt 3 weeks back for 460 (dammit!!). it was the 64gb dual sim version. great phone and great camera. as someone pointed out video quality is excellent 2.

Ordered it on a monday selected free shipping and had it on the next monday. sent by courier, no hassle with customs or the like. (beware plug is 2 pin but adapter was included in the package). great phone and at current price its a bargain.

markf1982 wrote: »
    i bought from eglobal abt 3 weeks back for 460 (dammit!!). it was the 64gb dual sim version. great phone and great camera. as someone pointed out video quality is excellent 2.

Ordered it on a monday selected free shipping and had it on the next monday. sent by courier, no hassle with customs or the like. (beware plug is 2 pin but adapter was included in the package). great phone and at current price its a bargain.

Was it shipped from Europe? Did you get the dual SIM version?

Was it shipped from Europe? Did you get the dual SIM version?

yeah dual sim version. i think it was shipped from Eu because i got it quite quick and but not 100% on that tho

markf1982 wrote: »
    yeah dual sim version. i think it was shipped from Eu because i got it quite quick and but not 100% on that tho

Would you mind sticking up a link to your one? I think I will change it and use PayPal incase there are any problems.

this is the one i got, white version as it was cheaper at the time
    https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/lg-g6-h870ds-64gb-dual-sim-sim-free-unlocked-white.html

but if you dont care abt colours the platinum is cheaper now (which in my opinion is the nicer one)
    https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/lg-g6-h870ds-64gb-dual-sim-sim-free-unlocked-platinum.html

i used paypal too as i figured any problems i should have some comeback

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Is it only the US version that is wireless charging? Any EU models that I can get that are Wireless Charging?

Wireless charging appears to be USA exclusive for now. The DAC was Korea only but now available in Australia also.

The LG G6 plus is rumoured to have both wireless charging and the DAC along with increase RAM/storage. Release date is 27/Jun.

The LG V30 is due within a few weeks as well.

Wireless charging appears to be USA exclusive for now. The DAC was Korea only but now available in Australia also.

The LG G6 plus is rumoured to have both wireless charging and the DAC along with increase RAM/storage. Release date is 27/Jun.

The LG V30 is due within a few weeks as well.

I'm telling myself I should hang on to see how it and the Pixel 2s turn out, but I haven't bought a new shiny gadget in over a year, and I'm starting to get the jitters.

• Advertisement

Went ahead and ordered the 64gb Platinum, price too good to ignore.

Herself is gonna kill me when another expensive, unnecessary toy arrives.... :eek:

Hey, just received my g6 from Amazon Italy yesterday, after using an s7 for the past 12 months or so. Lovely phone, great screen, battery seems nice. Fp reader works well.

Camera, however, is a BIG disappointment for me coming from the s7. It's a mess in lowlight, can't put out a decent sharp picture. The s7 is a far more dependable and quicker camera, with 95% of the shots it takes being usable. I'd be lucky to get 3 decent shots out of 10 with the g6. Going to have to look at returning it to Amazon.it, or shifting on adverts. If anyone would like to thing about getting it off me, and isn't too pushed about the camera, send me a pm.

djr wrote: »
    Hey, just received my g6 from Amazon Italy yesterday, after using an s7 for the past 12 months or so. Lovely phone, great screen, battery seems nice. Fp reader works well.

Camera, however, is a BIG disappointment for me coming from the s7. It's a mess in lowlight, can't put out a decent sharp picture. The s7 is a far more dependable and quicker camera, with 95% of the shots it takes being usable. I'd be lucky to get 3 decent shots out of 10 with the g6. Going to have to look at returning it to Amazon.it, or shifting on adverts. If anyone would like to thing about getting it off me, and isn't too pushed about the camera, send me a pm.

You finding this is just low light shots or overall in most conditions? I think the S7 has larger pixels to pull in more light in darker areas

I use the camera a lot on my phone, it's one of the main features I look at when upgrading.

I've scanned through my pictures over the last year on the S7 and the G6 pictures from over the last few weeks. The G6 takes noticeably better pictures in most conditions imho. The pictures look more 'natural'. But agree that in low light conditions, the S7 takes better pictures.

Edit: just read that LG are releasing an update next month for the G6. Itincludes an update and additional features for the camera.

I use the camera a lot on my phone, it's one of the main features I look at when upgrading.

I've scanned through my pictures over the last year on the S7 and the G6 pictures from over the last few weeks. The G6 takes noticeably better pictures in most conditions imho. The pictures look more 'natural'. But agree that in low light conditions, the S7 takes better pictures.

Edit: just read that LG are releasing an update next month for the G6. Itincludes an update and additional features for the camera.

I have an update pending right now, just over 500mb. Maybe this is the one you are talking about. I'll install it, and give it a whirl. I've noticed that the autofocus is the biggest issue when it is trying to lock on, a second shot of the same subject seems a bit quicker. I think the pixel size is making a difference alright in lower light... Let's see if the update helps

I have an update pending right now, just over 500mb. Maybe this is the one you are talking about. I'll install it, and give it a whirl. I've noticed that the autofocus is the biggest issue when it is trying to lock on, a second shot of the same subject seems a bit quicker. I think the pixel size is making a difference alright in lower light... Let's see if the update helps
    Looks like the update is the April one, so I might be a little behind. Downloading now, will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

This is really disappointing as I was just about to pull the trigger on the G6 coming from an S7 Edge.
    Not gonna happen now as my phone camera is my primary camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thinking about getting one from eglobalcentral as well, tis a great price. Have ordered phones from them before. They are essentially grey imports, the trade off is if you have any issues that would normally be covered under warranty then you are screwed as LG in Europe won't touch them.

allo again. i took the G6 for a spin on v10f (the april security patch, which i assume is the latest). the camera has improved, but lowlight is still not great, and there is generally always a delay while it locks focus. my S7 on the otherhand focused instantly in almost all lighting conditions, and has zero shutter lag. once the G6 has acquired focus, it snaps away quick enough on repeated shots, so that's good.

as far as image quality goes, when you have time to compose it properly, the G6 has a really great results in good lighting. if you're not photographing moving things like kids or animals, you should be good to go.

me, however, i've got 3 kids, so i'm going to stick with the S7 for lack of a newer flat-screened alternative with an equivalent camera. i'm done with the jerkiness of touchwiz etc, and the LG is SO SMOOTH and fluid, but i can't give up the camera :(

just my €0.02. i'll be sending mine back to amazon.it in the next week or two if i can't find a local buyer. if anyone wants the link to the adverts page, just send me a PM.

• Advertisement

me, however, i've got 3 kids, so i'm going to stick with the S7 for lack of a newer flat-screened alternative with an equivalent camera. i'm done with the jerkiness of touchwiz etc, and the LG is SO SMOOTH and fluid, but i can't give up the camera :(

http://www.htc.com/ie/smartphones/htc-u11/

Advertisement