Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesla/Lithium stocks discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Sabre Man wrote: »

Great news, just in time for the next us stimulus cheque lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Timmaay wrote: »
    Slow bleed off back to 1400$ after all the madness afew weeks ago. Why do I have that stupidly irrational buy the dip feeling with it now lol.

Dammit shoulda listened to myself lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

So, the theory is that the current stock is split into five, then there's five times more shares available (each one, at a cheaper price than the current share price), to get more retail investors to buy into the company, right ? Lots more retail investors jump in, then driving up the price of each new share.

It all seems just a tad too easy :)

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

So, the theory is that the current stock is split into five, then there's five times more shares available (each one, at a cheaper price than the current share price), to get more retail investors to buy into the company, right ? Lots more retail investors jump in, then driving up the price of each new share.

It all seems just a tad too easy :)

It’s not in theory, it’s in fact. And no it does not make a company more valuable it simply makes the shares more tradable meaning that current holders can realize some of their gains and new investors have an opportunity to add a position to their portfolio.

I can’t recall a single research paper suggesting that a share split alone contributed to a price increase. If people want to pay over the odds they will do it they are buying one or five shares and if they cannot afford to buy a single share but really want to, they will find a broker that allows the purchase of fractions of a share.

Perhaps there is an opportunity for some research assistant in the new area of behavioral finance to do a paper on whether or not it facilitates the possible introduction of more gullible buys to the market... anyone looking for a Masters or PhD thesis topic ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Looks like an analyst raises their price target in the morning to try an get ahead of the actual price and then the investors take that as the end of day price that must be reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

lucky john wrote: »
    Looks like an analyst raises their price target in the morning to try an get ahead of the actual price and then the investors take that as the end of day price that must be reached.

After buying in late on Friday, I am 100% fine with this.

I'm fine with it as well and it continues to have serious momentum.

Not many shorts left at this stage. Mind you I did see that *** Brendan Burgess advising people on ask about money that Tesla is a great short now. Himself and his mate have been short Tesla and loosing from early on. Anyone taking his investment advise would need to be careful. I did notice that posters on his tesla forum who disagreed with his opinion
    had their posts deleted or the poster themselves disappeared. Seems dangerous when the guy with the power to control opinions on a public forum gives advise that it seems isn't allowed be challenged. At least here no one gets a free ride and the bears and bulls can have their say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

After selling at $860 on foot of Musks “the share price is too high” quote it killed me to get back in @ $1500 on its way back down.

Not looking like a bad move now but I’m in for the long haul now anyway as opposed to the last time where I was convinced I could buy back in lower. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Not many shorts left at this stage. Mind you I did see that *** Brendan Burgess advising people on ask about money that Tesla is a great short now. Himself and his mate have been short Tesla and loosing from early on. Anyone taking his investment advise would need to be careful. I did notice that posters on his tesla forum who disagreed with his opinion
    had their posts deleted or the poster themselves disappeared. Seems dangerous when the guy with the power to control opinions on a public forum gives advise that it seems isn't allowed be challenged. At least here no one gets a free ride and the bears and bulls can have their say.

Burgess didn't even know what a Tesla car was a year ago ,i follow his site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Would have thought it to be a very risky short at this stage with the split coming. I'd imagine there will be a bump in share price once investors can get in at 360 or so... Am in at 1500 which I would normally never dream of, but feel some sense of backup with the upcoming split

*** Brendan Burgess advising people on ask about money that Tesla is a great short now. Himself and his mate have been short Tesla and loosing from early on. Anyone taking his investment advise would need to be careful....

He took a similar position on Bitcoin, and did well on it, as did one or two others who followed his lead.

I haven't read his thread on Tesla, but having read some of his posts on shorting Bitcoin, I can tell you that he argued with logic and reason, on that occasion.

I would expect him to support his argument on shorting Tesla in a similar fashion - referencing P/e, comparisons across the motor industry etc. Has he not been doing that?

I'm not a particular fan of how he and his moderator team edit and delete some posts, but when all is said and done, he owns the site, I suppose.

Thanks,

G.

UsBus wrote: »
    Would have thought it to be a very risky short at this stage with the split coming. I'd imagine there will be a bump in share price once investors can get in at 360 or so... Am in at 1500 which I would normally never dream of, but feel some sense of backup with the upcoming split

Agreed, it is risky, in the short term. Between the split and the stock under consideration for inclusion in the S&P, one would expect demand to remain high, in the short term.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How do you buy Tesla stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

garrettod wrote: »
    He took a similar position on Bitcoin, and did well on it, as did one or two others who followed his lead.

I haven't read his thread on Tesla, but having read some of his posts on shorting Bitcoin, I can tell you that he argued with logic and reason, on that occasion.

I would expect him to support his argument on shorting Tesla in a similar fashion - referencing P/e, comparisons across the motor industry etc. Has he not been doing that?

I'm not a particular fan of how he and his moderator team edit and delete some posts, but when all is said and done, he owns the site, I suppose.

He along with another investor on there had short positions that they cancelled at the start of the year. They missed the subsequent collapse to 400 but also missed the exponential growth back to 1900.

Stock is in pure bubble territory now, with market cap greater than Toyota, GM, Ford and others combined. Still not going to go near it from short point of view as it could still easily go up another 2x. Will wait for something material to change like a plateau in demand for their cars or looming recession, and even then I will only be opening a small way out of the money put position.

Gael23 wrote: »
    How do you buy Tesla stock?

Through a broker, like degiro.ie, same as any other shares.

Listened to it earlier on Rob's pod cast. Never sure what to make of Cramer but he was very anti tesla a couple of years ago so a big turn around. At least he saw the potential in the end.
    If you haven't listened to Rob give the bull case lecture to the students it's very good. Might help explain the $2000 just broken through today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

So today is split day for Tesla. Currently up another 47 dollars in pre market. It's a headwreck trying to work out where this is headed..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah I got short again Wednesday.

I really hope you were joking. TSLA has doubled again since your post two months ago, now well over USD2000. All other auto makers shares are performing poorly because of COVID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭dontparkhere

How much of the price increase is due to a short squeeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

unkel wrote: »
    I really hope you were joking. TSLA has doubled again since your post two months ago, now well over USD2000. All other auto makers shares are performing poorly because of COVID.

I was short short-term puts. Defined risk. And it was the only thing I was short.

Far too expensive to short now, as crazy and frothy as it all is. Good lesson for the future though, next time there's an irrational bubble...go with the bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Finally getting the pullback that I expected, but jezz it's still over 2k in pre share split levels. If it drops back under the likes of 350$ I'll look at getting back in, battery day Sept 22nd should drive it on again then.

Sold my Tesla shares after 4 years and +700%. I feel a bit bereaved now but they will pay for an small extension to the house that the better half has wanted for a while.

I fully intend to get back in as soon as I have the cash again. I have no doubt Tesla is on the way to being one of the biggest companies in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And here we are, less than 2 weeks after you posted that and now near 1700/share

And 4 months after that post we are well over 2500 per share (divided by 5)

Another 50% up on what was already a very high valuation. Obviously the inclusion in S&P (which was coming a long time) helped prop the value up

I hope nothing really bad happened to those shorters. It was a negative, even immoral, thing they did, but they don't deserve to be financially ruined for life because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

It was a negative, even immoral, thing they did, but they don't deserve to be financially ruined for life because of it.

Why is it negative? It certainly isn't immoral!

Shorting is incredibly important to a healthy functioning market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭uli84

Does it still make sense to invest in Tesla or it’s too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

It's never too late if you want to hold long term but for short flips it's riskier now, it rises lots on catalysts. Battery day, s&p inclusion, stock split etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

uli84 wrote: »
    Does it still make sense to invest in Tesla or it’s too late?

People have asking that for years. Nobody knows is the answer (that you don't want). I think they still can go a lot higher, could be wrong though.

There's massive demand for them, they're ramping up production, people will jump on them as they're a share even the man of the street hears of which could push prices up higher. On the other hand, direct competition companies are focusing more on electric (but I don't think they'll ever attain the cult-status of Tesla).

• Advertisement

Autoline network toted up the valuation of all the major US car manufacturers and major component suppliers and their capitalizations still didn't match Tesla's market cap.

Advertisement