Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

o1s1n wrote: »
    Puzzle de Pon is one I haven't spent too much time with. I remember there was a level early on I just couldn't get by.

I bet it was Level 4. That one totally wrecked my head yesterday. Took me about 957,000 credits to finally get past it. I think I got to around level 12 before my head exploded in to a gooey, curdled mess.

I was so infuriated by level 12 I think a shard of my skull actually reached the outskirts of Sligo around lunchtime yesterday.

Love that game! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Yep, it was level 4. Bastard of a thing. I just kept running out of time :(

Do you know why it's called Puzzle De Pon by the way? It's named after the little sound effects the bubbles make in Puzzle Bobble when they burst.

Yep, it was level 4. Bastard of a thing. I just kept running out of time :(

Do you know why it's called Puzzle De Pon by the way? It's named after the little sound effects the bubbles make in Puzzle Bobble when they burst.

I knew it! I had the exact same issue with that level. Just not enough time to get it. The only way I could beat it was when I got a star in the queue. Cleared the most colours surrounding the symbol with that and just booted it home and over the finish line.

The main problem was the lack of time and the order of coloured bubbles. I just couldn't get the right order and ended up filling the screen or clearing it and just missing out.

It's an absolute b*stard of a level but you can clear it. Now level 12 on the other hand... :mad:

I didn't know that about the game title! I make a concerted effort to ensure I learn one new fact every single day (doesn't have to be gaming-realted) and this is today's fact. Thanks for that!

Here's one for you in return. The world's longest recorded projectile vomit is 37 feet. :)

Master of the Universe

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I knew it! I had the exact same issue with that level. Just not enough time to get it. The only way I could beat it was when I got a star in the queue. Cleared the most colours surrounding the symbol with that and just booted it home and over the finish line.

The main problem was the lack of time and the order of coloured bubbles. I just couldn't get the right order and ended up filling the screen or clearing it and just missing out.

It's an absolute b*stard of a level but you can clear it. Now level 12 on the other hand... :mad:

I didn't know that about the game title! I make a concerted effort to ensure I learn one new fact every single day (doesn't have to be gaming-realted) and this is today's fact. Thanks for that!

Here's one for you in return. The world's longest recorded projectile vomit is 37 feet. :)

It's very punishing for being level 4. I really can't see the game having made much money in arcades with such a steep curve so early on.

Thanks for ruining my lunch by the way :pac:

Have you played Magical Drop II at all? I haven't gone near the first game, but I own the second and it's tied with Puzzle Bobble as my favourite puzzler on the system.

Two player is absolute magic!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm not really into fighters either myself but absolutely love the Last Blade games. The animation in them is by far some of the best you'll see on the Neo Geo.

An MVS cart of the first game can be had for pretty decent, so Pyonyang has no excuse :D

And I happen to have one for sale!!!
    What a happy coincidence!
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/neo-geo-mvs-games-for-sale/774556

I think it did go on to make a few bob. Certainly it spawned a sequel, Puzzle de Pon R (which also happens to be super rare and super expensive).

Not played Magical Drop although I see it discussed quite often. Certainly one to check out, do love a good puzzle game although Puyo Puyo is my absolute favourite series.

That fact about the vomit is true by the way. :p

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And I happen to have one for sale!!!
    What a happy coincidence!
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-consoles-games/neo-geo-mvs-games-for-sale/774556

I so want that Metal Slug X off of ye! Will have to wait til next month though. I have a rather obnoxiously erotic haul of smutty SHMUP ACTION arriving this week (i hope) that's tapped my budget clean out. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

No problem, we hipsters try to help folk out, it's who we are...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Wario blast on gameboy, it's like a ****e bomberman only worse. Also playing marioland 2 on gameboy. It's not bad and it's so different compared to the other mario games at the same time.
    He eats a carrot to get cap wings and the flower puts a feather on his cap. Climbing in tree sap, desperately floating through the air in a hippo's bubble and he rings a bell.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Also playing marioland 2 on gameboy. It's not bad and it's so different compared to the other mario games at the same time. .

Some people thought it was better than SMW and Mario 64 so watch out as it was AWeSMmm according to eyewitnesses!

• Advertisement

Some people thought it was better than SMW and Mario 64 so watch out as it was AWeSMmm according to eyewitnesses!

maybe i is slow but eh?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

maybe i is slow but eh?

I think he means "awesome". Could be wrong though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

SML2 would have been incredible had it been a bit tougher, the lack of challenge meant that it only felt like it was getting started by the time it was over.

Found a bit of time to play a few games of Raiden tonight. Finally managed to get to level 4 for a change (1 cc ofc). I'd never even got to the lvl 3 boss before so didn't know what to expect, had a real Neo moment gliding past his bullets. Was fricking awesome. :o He eventually tagged me but got past him and a decent way into lvl 4. Love that game. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Not retro at all, but Super Stardust HD has me totally hooked at the mo

Was on the way to a 1cc of Raycrisis last night and the inevitable had to happen. Wife calls from downstairs:

Bird: "giz a hand with xyz"
    Me: "Just a sec"
    Bird: "no seriously I need a hand with this!"
    Me: "Can it wait?"
    Bird: "no. just pause the game or something"
    Me: "I can't!"
    Bird: "come down and help me out with this"
    Me: *silence. hoping the nagging will stop*

5 minutes later (getting really far in on 1 credit)

Bird: "For feck sake stop playing that game and gimme a hand"

Distracted I look away from the screen and lose my last life. Knock the game off and head downstairs.

Those that don't appreciate shooting games don't appreciate the importance of a 1cc. *sob* :(

Was on the way to a 1cc of Raycrisis last night and the inevitable had to happen. Wife calls from downstairs:

Bird: "giz a hand with xyz"
    Me: "Just a sec"
    Bird: "no seriously I need a hand with this!"
    Me: "Can it wait?"
    Bird: "no. just pause the game or something"
    Me: "I can't!"
    Bird: "come down and help me out with this"
    Me: *silence. hoping the nagging will stop*

5 minutes later (getting really far in on 1 credit)

Bird: "For feck sake stop playing that game and gimme a hand"

Distracted I look away from the screen and lose my last life. Knock the game off and head downstairs.

Those that don't appreciate shooting games don't appreciate the importance of a 1cc. *sob* :(

Pah, if she was able to wait the 5 mins before shouting up again ya should've kept going for another 5. :pac:
    I can only play when everyone else is asleep so usually don't get interrupted, apart from the odd itchy face - only ever happens with shmups too, wtf that about. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Pah, if she was able to wait the 5 mins before shouting up again ya should've kept going for another 5. :pac:
    I can only play when everyone else is asleep so usually don't get interrupted, apart from the odd itchy face - only ever happens with shmups too, wtf that about. :D

I hate having an itchy face during a game! It's always at the most intense/hard parts too!

I hate having an itchy face during a game! It's always at the most intense/hard parts too!

Bumfluff/onset of puberty?

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    Bumfluff/onset of puberty?

I'll have you know I'm past that stage and am currently growing a mo!

*More shameless plugging for movember! Links in mah sig*

I'll have you know I'm past that stage and am currently growing a mo!

*More shameless plugging for movember! Links in mah sig*

Are you all mature now? Aww, where's "Sfhghjk I be drunk ladz"? He was cool :(:D

After your mo, you better not get one of the reticule things & start being all mature & condescending with yer new Famicom etc :pac:

Are you all mature now? Aww, where's "Sfhghjk I be drunk ladz"? He was cool :(:D

After your mo, you better not get one of the reticule things & start being all mature & condescending with yer new Famicom etc :pac:

Pfft hell no! Drunk atavan has to work to fund his drinking but that means less drinking time.

NES? Too mainstream.

Pfft hell no! Drunk atavan has to work to fund his drinking but that means less drinking time.

NES? Too mainstream.

There's only one Retr0 remember

Installed the unibios EPROM tonight. Thought I'd lash a couple of cheats on. Decided to try Puzzle de Pon.

Three hours later and I just cleared the bloody thing. All 39 rounds.

Bloody hell!

maybe i is slow but eh?

It refers to a troll who was making the most bizarre statements before the thread was closed.
    Not saying more in case it all sparks off again...

Bloody hipsters!

• Advertisement

It refers to a troll who was making the most bizarre statements before the thread was closed.
    Not saying more in case it all sparks off again...

Bloody hipsters!

Ah I see now. Just thought it was summit to do with the spelling of awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Gears of War (1), not too old but quiet decent for the price of €3.

Dipping into a few PC-Engine games now I've set up an emulator on the cabinet.

PC-Engine games...emulator...

:eek: *faints*

Actually I might try hooking up my Duo-R to my cabinet tonight, see how that works out. Exciting!

Talking of emulators, I was thinking of finding an Amiga one tonight and playing a bit of Cannon Fodder. Lest We Forget... Poppy-Icon-3.jpg

:eek: *faints*

Actually I might try hooking up my Duo-R to my cabinet tonight, see how that works out. Exciting!

Hey don't knock it til you've tried it!

I use MagicEngine to play PCE games on the cab via the Hyperspin pc and it's bloody brilliant. Far too much hassle to hook up the Duo-R having to switch cards/discs and not be able to use the cab controls. Emu's all the way for that sort of stuff. :)

(Didn't seem to affect the gameplay either with that walloping I handed out with my Soldier Blade scores ;))

I'm a purist. I prefer the backache, card/disc-swapping and general hassle of it all!

That said I'm probably going to hook it up as follows:

Duo-R > Sync Strike > VGA to CGA converter (not scaler) > Monitor

That should work just grand. I hope. Plus I wouldn't want to be doing pad hacks and using LS-56-01's (which still haven't arrived yet). I've my (BNIB :D) XE-1 Pro HE stick for that. Quite possibly the finest arcade stick ever built for a home console. :)

futurama_bender_monocle.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm a purist

A purist who plays a Duo-R on an arcade cab? Heresy :p

Gotta have the full scanline experience! :D

I've no room for a CRT. :(

Gotta have the full scanline experience! :D

I've no room for a CRT. :(

But Duo-R's were meant to be played on tv's...& you call yourself a purist. Your no better than a lowly modder :p

Your no better than a lowly modder :p

GMDC_TOUCHE_RE_Sharenator_Moti_Posters-s355x453-79984.jpg

Might I recommend the Sony 29" telly?
    Very nice trinitron screen, flat as a pancake, well a slightly curved pancake, and makes all games look that bit better?!
    Oh, it weighs a fecking ton though!

Might I recommend the Sony 29" telly?
    Very nice trinitron screen, flat as a pancake, well a slightly curved pancake, and makes all games look that bit better?!
    Oh, it weighs a fecking ton though!

The Rolls Royce of crt's. Unfortunately, its about as big as a Rolls Royce & weighs as much too

Master of the Universe

Recommending a 29 inch Sony Trinitron to someone with no room for a CRT? Madness!

Recommending a 29 inch Sony Trinitron to someone with no room for a CRT? Madness!

He was last seen with a bottle of cider though, it's likely he's drunk

Hence why I went for a lovely 21 incher. Don't have the back to lift a 29 about nor the space to store it and the 21 is easy to tate (I'd imagine the 29 is not).

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Hence why I went for a lovely 21 incher. Don't have the back to lift a 29 about nor the space to store it and the 21 is easy to tate (I'd imagine the 29 is not).

I settled for 21" also, the attic just didn't have the room for the 29" :(

But the combo of the 21" beside the 32" HD one caters nicely for almost everything so its a happy middle ground

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I settled for 21" also, the attic just didn't have the room for the 29" :(

But the combo of the 21" beside the 32" HD one caters nicely for almost everything so its a happy middle ground

How mad is the world that I consider my 32" lcd a small to medium tv and 21" of any variety utterly unacceptable?

Incidentally I was in the Sony Centre in Dundrum on Wednesday evening and got a demo of a 60" HD 3D Bravia, it was seriously impressive, aside from the picture being ludicrously sharp the 3D was actually very impressive. All I need now is 3.5k for the telly €60 a throw for all the sets of glasses I'd need for my mates and a proper station broadcasting in 3D and I'd be well sorted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just spotted this on adverts, not sure if it's the same thing you guys are talking about but hey it might well be: http://www.adverts.ie/tv/sony-29inch-trinition-tv/1100345

That's the cute puppy there.
    A bit over priced though.
    I'd be thinking a max of 40 to 50 euro for it.

As for the giant 3D tv, Powercity have a 50" Panasonic 3D Plasma for 711.96, not sure how many sets of active shutter glasses you get with that though, and those things get expensive!

You know what would be heroically awesome? A Philips 21:9 in tate playing Mushihimesama Futari!

As for the CRT, I'm grand with a console hooked up to an arcade CRT. It's semi-purist! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Hooked up the Dreamcast to the candy last night and had a bash at a few games, mostly Soul Calibur and a selection of shmup's.

The Dreamcast looks great on the arcade monitor via vga I must say :)

Any DC tate there?

How mad is the world that I consider my 32" lcd a small to medium tv and 21" of any variety utterly unacceptable?

Incidentally I was in the Sony Centre in Dundrum on Wednesday evening and got a demo of a 60" HD 3D Bravia, it was seriously impressive, aside from the picture being ludicrously sharp the 3D was actually very impressive. All I need now is 3.5k for the telly €60 a throw for all the sets of glasses I'd need for my mates and a proper station broadcasting in 3D and I'd be well sorted.

Big ass HD tv's are brilliant for HD films/games ofc. But utterly sh1te for retro games imo, CRT are miles better.

Any DC tate there?

To much hassle to rotate the monitor for just a quick bash.

If I was into shmups as much as yourself I'd do it but so far the horizontal setup gets used most.

The pain, hassle, anguish and sheer inconvenience of it is worth it. Get it tated Ulysses!!! :D

• Advertisement

The pain, hassle, anguish and sheer inconvenience of it is worth it. Get it tated Ulysses!!! :D

I might do it for a few days when I get back from the land of great games, food and 25-35 year old women dressed as schoolgirls in nightclubs.

Advertisement