Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cross Country Training Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I'll be there. Might not be the terrain for spikes yet, although I'll bring mine just in case. Three laps for the lads, two for the ladies.

Adrian ran it last year. I imagine I'll be at the back of the pack again (a la Dublin Novices), but I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Report back! I think that's the same course as will be used for the national novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

RayCun wrote: »
    Report back! I think that's the same course as will be used for the national novice.

Going up. Ran it last year. Nice course. It was a pretty dry course last year so expect the same this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

RayCun wrote: »

IT'S ALL HILLS! All either up or down, no flat! My poor, ld, wheezy lungs!

Glad to get the spikes on though, and our women won Gold (not me, I didn't score) - Hurray!!

well run, everyone who was there.

Really enjoyed that one, although for me these races are a massive step up from BHAA events. I'd expect to be in or near the top half of those, yet I finished 110/115 on Saturday. I won't be running National Novices this year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Good day out in Navan. Course is very tight and twisty turny so I don't know how its going to fare for the Nationals with 2-300 young lads flying round it. Getting in a good position early on will be vital. All the turns will string out the field fairly quickly. Its a tougish course with a long drag up the home straight but not a patch on the WIT course from the nationals last year. No major hills, just a lot of drags and a lot of turns, so you can never really get any momentum going

From a club perspective, we were delighted to retain out team title and do the three in a row at Leinster :D. We're just really hoping to finally breaking our duct of medaling at the National Novice. Its proven a tough task over the years.

Dublin Seniors next weekend will be a different kettle of fish again.

Really enjoyed that one, although for me these races are a massive step up from BHAA events. I'd expect to be in or near the top half of those, yet I finished 110/115 on Saturday. I won't be running National Novices this year though.

Well done. I was way back as well - 66 / 106. It was a real shock to the system after a year off XC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I saw a couple of pictures from the Leinster Novice - I presume it's going to look as much of a mud bath as all the others come mid-December, once the 20 or so preceding juvenile races are finished. Navan will hopefully be a good location for turnout too - should get more from Dublin than last year and probably more from Ulster.

I'm doing Dublin Seniors and Dublin Intermediates for the first time this year - more as part of the National Novice preparation than any expectation of competing (particularly the seniors). Hope to be in good shape by the time the Novice comes run around and I'll be very happy with anything inside the top 50.

#xc4life

I should point out that, in the next xc race after asking this question, dna_leri completely ignored the "go out conservatively" advice and was rewarded with selection for the Irish team for the upcoming Masters XC International!
    dna_leri wrote: »
    I'm planning on doing a few cross country races over the next while, and looking for some advice on race strategy.

I saw the comment above about "Go out conservatively". I have got other input about going out hard and getting in a good position as you can get stuck in traffic later.

What does everyone think, how do you gauge how much effort to put in at different stages of the XC race?

Sacksian wrote: »
    I should point out that, in the next xc race after asking this question, dna_leri completely ignored the "go out conservatively" advice and was rewarded with selection for the Irish team for the upcoming Masters XC International!

Wow!

Also, I'm back to report that I forgot my own 'sprint out for 20 seconds to get in position' advice in Navan - it started on a hill and I was immediately left behind and had to claw my way back to the mid-pack :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Went through the first km in 3:16 from down hill start, slowed to 3:56 near the end! Only looked at watch to see how many laps were left. Closest I have come to DNF in a race in a long time. Will not do it next time but xc is great for trying out different tactics. Maybe 30s sprint start will work.

I saw a couple of pictures from the Leinster Novice - I presume it's going to look as much of a mud bath as all the others come mid-December, once the 20 or so preceding juvenile races are finished. Navan will hopefully be a good location for turnout too - should get more from Dublin than last year and probably more from Ulster.

I'm doing Dublin Seniors and Dublin Intermediates for the first time this year - more as part of the National Novice preparation than any expectation of competing (particularly the seniors). Hope to be in good shape by the time the Novice comes run around and I'll be very happy with anything inside the top 50.

#xc4life

100% on this. Ground conditions were fairly benign on Saturday, certainly compared to what the National Novices can expect. Best of luck to all those running the Dublin Seniors in Santry this weekend.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Went through the first km in 3:16 from down hill start, slowed to 3:56 near the end! Only looked at watch to see how many laps were left. Closest I have come to DNF in a race in a long time. Will not do it next time but xc is great for trying out different tactics. Maybe 30s sprint start will work.

The splits suggested you held on well - 2k in to the race and in a good position probably adds to the motivation you need to hang on. This will do wonders for your 15s next summer!

Dublin Seniors was fun. Course was immaculate. Results are up but I think the later times/places are one place out - the guy who finished in front of me has my time and I think he has the time of the guy in front, and so on.

Fair play to Crusaders for getting team bronze in the senior men's. They've been consistently getting xc teams out and building a big squad over the past couple of years, with a lot of guys in and around each other at a very good standard so it's good to see that rewarded - and I think the bulk of their scorers today are probably eligible for the National Novice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Dublin Seniors was fun. Course was immaculate. Results are up but I think the later times/places are one place out - the guy who finished in front of me has my time and I think he has the time of the guy in front, and so on.

Fair play to Crusaders for getting team bronze in the senior men's. They've been consistently getting xc teams out and building a big squad over the past couple of years, with a lot of guys in and around each other at a very good standard so it's good to see that rewarded - and I think the bulk of their scorers today are probably eligible for the National Novice too.

Ha ha. It was definitely more fun than your average Dublin Seniors. Conditions were class, they took out the main hill and there wasn't an Olympian in sight :D.

The Cru men were delighted to finally get a senior medal at XC. To be honest, I never really thought it would happen. The field wasn't as strong as it has been in recent years but regardless getting a team medal at Dublin senior level is an onerous task. We were lucky in that we got everyone out that we reasonably could have and yes, the whole team is eligible for the National Novice too :cool:.

Might see you at the Nationals if you are racing. Still undecided myself. If its mucky, I'll probably do it because it would be ideal not showing up to the novices having only ran on bone dry courses all winter. Unless, fingers crossed, the national novice isn't its usual mud bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Louth seniors yesterday for us. Good (read flat and easy!) course with good underfoot conditions. 10k cross country is.....long.........and tough......and long! Glad, like Christmas, it comes but once a year. Happy with my run considering the low training levels, even though I was not on our scoring team. County champs in men's and women's event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

pconn062 wrote: »
    Louth seniors yesterday for us. Good (read flat and easy!) course with good underfoot conditions. 10k cross country is.....long.........and tough......and long! Glad, like Christmas, it comes but once a year. Happy with my run considering the low training levels, even though I was not on our scoring team. County champs in men's and women's event.

Was there watching myself, a hugely impressive first 4 for Dunleer. DDAC new facility is brilliant to see for athletics in Louth.

Looking at the Louth results, there were 46 in the senior men's in Louth, with 7 scoring teams, compared to 52 in the men's at Dublin Seniors, with 6 scoring teams. There really seems to be a good club scene in Louth at the moment, and not just in xc. I'd be interested to see how the Connacht League fares as well, in terms of numbers.

I think Mick Clohisey has won the last 3 Dublin Seniors, and there were no Dooneys or Travers yesterday either so there might be a few guys who saw the results and regretted not being there for a rare opportunity to be in the mix for a Dublin Senior title or an individual medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

pconn062 wrote: »

The hill is still under construction, another few weeks and it would have been there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

IvoryTower wrote: »
    The hill is still under construction, another few weeks and it would have been there :)

Flat and easy is good with me, especially for 10k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

I'd be interested to see how the Connacht League fares as well, in terms of numbers.
    Not great tbh

https://bit.ly/2PDmBo5?fbclid=IwAR1O7XnOpf32EtBRrFYMplle8dI4OkYMOgMu5yBN2dOAKuYKqAbJFXJEKlw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Any word on the post X mas Intermediate venue's (Leinster and All Ireland)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Looking at the Louth results, there were 46 in the senior men's in Louth, with 7 scoring teams, compared to 52 in the men's at Dublin Seniors, with 6 scoring teams. There really seems to be a good club scene in Louth at the moment, and not just in xc. I'd be interested to see how the Connacht League fares as well, in terms of numbers.

I think Mick Clohisey has won the last 3 Dublin Seniors, and there were no Dooneys or Travers yesterday either so there might be a few guys who saw the results and regretted not being there for a rare opportunity to be in the mix for a Dublin Senior title or an individual medal.

I know you didn't ask but the numbers across the board were way up for Munster Senior and uneven ages at the weekend despite monsoon conditions that morning. First time I've ever seen bib no. over 1000 at it. Even the u19's managed to have relatively decent numbers compared to recent years with 43 men and 25 women and the likes of National Intermediate champ Micheal Harty finishing 10th(albeit on the road back from injury)

Mens senior was way up on recent years at 50(it could be a lot better ofc) but it's good to see improvements anyway. The depth was in the senior race was probably the strongest it's been in recent memory when you see sub-33 road runners not making top-15.

The numbers in the older age categories still aren't at the level you'd hope for but Munster has been fairly barren for a long time so the results are encouraging and moving in the right direction.

Some of the juvenile age groups had huge numbers.

https://www.munsterathletics.com/results/2018/Results%20from%20Turnpike.pdf

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    Mens senior was way up on recent years at 50(it could be a lot better ofc) but it's good to see improvements anyway. The depth was in the senior race was probably the strongest it's been in recent memory when you see sub-33 road runners not making top-15.

https://www.munsterathletics.com/results/2018/Results%20from%20Turnpike.pdf

Looks like there were a good few missing from the top end in Munster too. Should be a cracker in Abbottstown next week. It's still pretty dry out there. Hopefully, things'll start getting a bit muddier by mid-December!

Looks like there were a good few missing from the top end in Munster too. Should be a cracker in Abbottstown next week. It's still pretty dry out there. Hopefully, things'll start getting a bit muddier by mid-December!

I wouldn't have taken you for a mudlark;)

The rain doesn't seem to be making any difference. It was a pure downpour for nearly 5 hours Sunday morning, I brought a set of 12mm spikes and was considering flippers because I was expecting a lake down there but even after all the juvenile races, the ground was still like concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Anybody have any info on the Clarecastle XC route? Running the Munster Masters this weekend. Just curious what it's like.

Anybody have any info on the Clarecastle XC route? Running the Munster Masters this weekend. Just curious what it's like.

All the info you ever need for munster champs will be up here:)

https://www.munsterathletics.com

Except for today, I'm not sure why they haven't posted any maps or info yet.

I've ran the course twice before though so here's my best recollection. 1500m/1 mile lap fairly flat with half the loop in a farmers field and the other half around the GAA pitch. Can get fairly muddy espicially around the gaps and at the top end of the pitch. There's a small 70m climb just after you come out of the GAA pitch and back into the field which drops off again quickly before a 150m gradual climb back up to start the next lap. Relatively flat and fast course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

El CabaIIo wrote: »
    All the info you ever need for munster champs will be up here:)

https://www.munsterathletics.com

Except for today, I'm not sure why they haven't posted any maps or info yet.

I've ran the course twice before though so here's my best recollection. 1500m/1 mile lap fairly flat with half the loop in a farmers field and the other half around the GAA pitch. Can get fairly muddy espicially around the gaps and at the top end of the pitch. There's a small 70m climb just after you come out of the GAA pitch and back into the field which drops off again quickly before a 150m gradual climb back up to start the next lap. Relatively flat and fast course.

Cheers El C. That sounds oddly like the route in Bilbao. You're definitely not mixing the two up no?

Cheers El C. That sounds oddly like the route in Bilbao. You're definitely not mixing the two up no?

No cinder track in Clarecastle and the climb isn't anything near as steep as bilbao. I ran Munster Intermediate there in 2016.

• Advertisement

I dug up these old maps from 2016. The link wouldn't work here because of the url tags so here's a screenshot:

Advertisement