Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Healy Raes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Interesting to hear poster testemonials and a bit of an eye opener. From what posters are saying a Healy Rae Taoiseach might actually get the health and housing situation fixed. They could be no worse than the Fine Gael front bench anyway.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭wonga77

Just to reiterate some of the points here. I can understand why people outside the county must be shaking their heads at the Healy Raes but as mentioned before they do get results for their people.
    A few years back my grandmother in Galway was having issues with some paperwork being finalised for work done on her house (a listed building) No amount of phonecalls, meetings or letters could get the issue over the line, even from the people she had voted for. It literally went on for months and months. My mother bumped into MHR one day and simply asked him if he had any advice. Two phone calls and a day later he had the issue completely resolved. He was never going to get a vote from my grandmother or the family as they all live in Galway but he did it anyway. There are countless stories like that.
    It was only a simple thing but not one that I will ever forget.
    Now I get that it shouldnt come to that and all the parish pump stuff etc etc. But realistically its the simple things that can have an effect on peoples lives and the Healy Raes are very good in delivering. How many of you will vote for a councillor and not lay eyes on them till the next time the voting starts.
    I know very little about the 2 newest ones voted in as they are running outside my area but they got big support so they must be doing something correct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They certainly do. But I wouldnt be too concerned about the Healy Raes as such - but my God, the people of Kerry! What the hell went wrong down there that there is sufficient support to elect that kind of country bumpkin as their representative?

Heaven forbid people vote for someone who says they will represent them, and then does it.

Some of their stuff is bizarre and I personally would disagree with it, but I can completely understand them being voted for on the basis that they represent their constituents well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

They certainly do. But I wouldnt be too concerned about the Healy Raes as such - but my God, the people of Kerry! What the hell went wrong down there that there is sufficient support to elect that kind of country bumpkin as their representative?

The kind of people who value substance over style, perhaps.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People saying "if we had more like them we'd be better off" are completely missing the point.

They are TDs, they are supposed to focus on national issues. Instead, they act like councillors, so long as Kerry gets sorted fcuk the rest of us. They are part of the problem, but people elect these idiots because they got their driveway tarmacced or fixed a fcuking pothole, as if that's the criteria for electing a TD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I wonder if the people most butthurt about the HR dynasty wished their elected representatives worked as well as they do for them?

We wish they would stick to council council positions instead of interfering with national issues that they don't understand, and have less reason for their reckless driving up and down the M8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

awec wrote: »
    People saying "if we had more like them we'd be better off" are completely missing the point.

They are TDs, they are supposed to focus on national issues. Instead, they act like councillors, so long as Kerry gets sorted fcuk the rest of us. They are part of the problem, but people elect these idiots because they got their driveway tarmacced or fixed a fcuking pothole, as if that's the criteria for electing a TD.

The old adage, all politics is local, would be well suited for this situation.

McGaggs wrote: »
    We wish they would stick to council council positions instead of interfering with national issues that they don't understand, and have less reason for their reckless driving up and down the M8.

M7.

Collie D wrote: »
    Which is fine at council level but it’s not a ****ing competition to show up the Dublin lads which seems to be how they and some of their voters see it. They’re supposed to be running a country at Dail level.

Nothing would get done if all of our TDs spent their time fast tracking medical cards and passports or gassing on about Noah’s Ark, fairies and strange noises.

I think this thread shows exactly why they keep getting elected.

People don't understand the difference between a TD and a Councillor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭lalababa

riemann wrote: »
    Surely a walking argument against democracy?

I don't think I've ever heard any of them say anything that displayed any kind of education or knowledge on a subject.

The amount of air time they get is scandalous.
    MHR is one of the most robust debaters ever to be in the Dail. He would crush you in discourse.

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »

M7.

Brilliant. Particularly because of the piece about not understanding things.

Brilliant. Particularly because of the piece about not understanding things.

I'm sure they won't be long in crossing the county bounds and needing to travel the M8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Enjoy awec....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjl8OIZijjY

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They are cavemen and I'm embarrassed to have them in the Dail. Can we give Kerry its independence maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

OK, for 40 years I have voted, and not much changes.

Now I vote HR, and our life is better, directly, visibly.

Same rubbish at a National level, but now life locally is better, and we have someone to go to who makes a difference.

I understand the difference between national and local politics, but I vote for someone that delivers, not run with the sheep. If this makes me an idiot in your eyes then I am OK with that too.

riemann wrote: »
    My dear man, they are the epitome of democracy.

I'm sure that sounded awfully clever in your head, the dearest of men.

I've found you can tell a lot about about a person based on how vigorously they will defend a family whose only purpose in life is to suckle at the teat of the public purse.

I am of the opinion society would be better served if we were not forced to endure the ramblings of persons who can best be described as indirectly corrupt.

They do well for the people of Kerry? Great, how about they concentrate on that and refrain from pontificating on matters of national importance.
    Jeasus they can't win either way ha?

People know enough to vote for somebody who sorts the issues that matter to them.

The fact those issues don't matter to you is immaterial and you, too, have the choice of voting for somebody to deal with the issues that matter to you.

Even if those issues are immaterial to others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

M7.

M8 actually from Kilgarvan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

All politics is local, it is the people in their electoral area that have given them the job to represent them,
    They are hard workers,
    if they were in my electoral area, they would also have my number one,
    Voted by the people they represent. for the people they represent.

I have not seen most of the lads that came to my door since the last election that they wanted my vote, and wish they would have a bit of the Healy Raes enthusiasm about them, I don't think so

SlowBlowin wrote: »

Same rubbish at a National level, but now life locally is better, and we have someone to go to who makes a difference.

I understand the difference between national and local politics, but I vote for someone that delivers, not run with the sheep. If this makes me an idiot in your eyes then I am OK with that too.

They deliver nothing for Ireland.

While the rest of the country goes to the polls to elect their TDs to deliver on education, health and other areas of national importance, the people of Kerry go to the polls to make sure the guy they elect will have their driveway fixed promptly, the potholes on their street filled in and will attend the funeral of their relatives even if they've never spoken a word to them in their life.

Parish pump gombeenism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Agreed. I'd always spin by mallow to anywhere south of killarney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I remember a number of years ago after MHR got elected, Dobbo interviewed him and you could sense that Dobbo was treating him like an idiot. I like Dobbo but he didn't act very professional that day.

Anyone who thinks the HRs are fools and gombeens are very stupid.

Possibly, all I know is the morning I was talking to him, he was on the M7.

While the rest of the country goes to the polls to elect their TDs to deliver on education, health and other areas of national importance, the people of Kerry go to the polls to make sure the guy they elect will have their driveway fixed promptly, the potholes on their street filled in and will attend the funeral of their relatives even if they've never spoken a word to them in their life.

Parish pump gombeenism.

I think they get stick for this partly because they are from Kerry as much as because of what they actually do.

Shane Ross and the reopening of Stepaside Garda Station and the allocation of funding to Wesley Hockey Club are on a par with anything the Healy-Raes do.

Also, TD's are actually elected to represent their locality on a national level. The government is appointed to deliver on areas of national importance.

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    All politics is local, it is the people in their electoral area that have given them the job to represent them,
    They are hard workers,
    if they were in my electoral area, they would also have my number one,
    Voted by the people they represent. for the people they represent.

I have not seen most of the lads that came to my door since the last election that they wanted my vote, and wish they would have a bit of the Healy Raes enthusiasm about them, I don't think so

When they have Kerry all sown up, they might venture further and I think if one of them stood in Limerick, Laois or Leitrim, they could easily win there too, especially if MHR left the home base to a junior and ventured forth himself. Not so much Dublin, people like their politicians more polished there.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I remember a number of years ago after MHR got elected, Dobbo interviewed him and you could sense that Dobbo was treating him like an idiot. I like Dobbo but he didn't act very professional that day.

Anyone who thinks the HRs are fools and gombeens are very stupid.

They are very astute businessmen and play the gombeen card very well

Question? Somebody has a problem .. usually with some government office/service/official.....that somebody can't get their way/is being delayed/not listened to......MHR makes a few calls and hey presto the problem is solved! How does THAT work??
    I had a bit of an argument with a Kerry man about MHR going to Dublin passport office with dozens of applications from Kerry. And I said he shouldn't be doing such errands. While saying also that he must have queued up like everyone else and submitted the correct paperwork like everyone else and that this was a waste of his time and energy. The Kerry man replied with a guffaw and said he did in his so an so queue and wilth imense 'pull' solved all paperwork issues if there were any!
    What's going on here like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

That’s a bit condescending. People understand just fine. Most people are just worried about what’s best for them. “Vote for the candidate that’ll get my pothole fixed or the one who’ll push for proper transport links from Dublin Airport?” A lot of people choose pothole.

I hear a lot of ould ****e in Waterford from people about how the main political parties are rubbish and have no vision and the people voting for them are engaging in parish pump politics. Same people said John Delaney shouldn’t be removed from the FAI because of the good he did “for our local teams”. I know it’s not politics but it’s a similar principle. Why else would the likes of the Healy-Rae’s and Lowry be getting elected? Same things happen in jobs/companies all around the country. People say nothing about wrongs being done to people “in case I burn my bridges.” Fundamentally, most people are concerned with themselves and what’s best for them.

The Healy Rae’s are the by-product of a system that doesn’t work. Democracy is built for short term thinking to win the next election. It’s particularly pronounced in a small country like Ireland. However, the alternative (some form of dictatorship) is likely to be even more catastrophic unless you get a particularly selfless individual with integrity in power. And they are very few and far between. One that’s incorruptible is even more rare.

The old saying goes,
    You only get out of something, what you put into it,
    there is the answer, from someone that would give No1 to a Healy Rae,
    I had a problem choosing a no one1, so I decided to give a new comer a no 1, hoping for a better outcome

• Advertisement

lalababa wrote: »
    Question? Somebody has a problem .. usually with some government office/service/official.....that somebody can't get their way/is being delayed/not listened to......MHR makes a few calls and hey presto the problem is solved! How does THAT work??
    I had a bit of an argument with a Kerry man about MHR going to Dublin passport office with dozens of applications from Kerry. And I said he shouldn't be doing such errands. While saying also that he must have queued up like everyone else and submitted the correct paperwork like everyone else and that this was a waste of his time and energy. The Kerry man replied with a guffaw and said he did in his so an so queue and wilth imense 'pull' solved all paperwork issues if there were any!

I'd say no way did he queue but the paperwork would have to be right.

Someone mentioned earlier, taking it back to local politics and the council. Apparently we live 6 doors down from 1 local councillor and 12 from another.

Lived here 5 years. Never heard of them. No idea what they stand for. The watermain on their own road keeps bursting and has done for the 5 years we are here. The road is in ****e. The local town is poorly represented compared to other local towns.

But sure they were at the door 2 weeks ago and sole reason I was expected to vote for either was they lived close by. Oh sorry apparently 1 used work in the local factory!?! And the other is a descendant of some random Republican.

The HRs are known for getting stuff done. That's too important for people to ignore when voting.

Here's my point, if he didn't queue then this is some form of corruption. What is that form called ? Some preferencial treatment type corruption.

Also if he doesn't have to queue then he enters into a special relationship with passport official s/office staff. Once that happens , that relationship can become more special ect. ect.

BTW it's official all 3 are in and all 3 topped their areas I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

M7.

It was the M8 that MHR was tailgating me on.

Also if he doesn't have to queue then he enters into a special relationship with passport official s/office staff. Once that happens , that relationship can become more special ect. ect.

I don't know. I have to admit here one time years ago the night before my family and I were going on hols abroad, I discovered with horror that one of the kids passport was out of date. So stupid and my own fault but I has totally forgotten a child's passport only lasts I think at the time for 3 years. Hadn't even looked at them, so certain was I that we were grand. OMG the panic. it was evening time and passport office closed. Tried online booking but of course early morning appointments all booked up. Have never contacted a TD before or since but in desperation rang one. A Dublin TD. He told me go in to the passport office first thing next morning and by then he would have arranged an emergency appointment for me which is what happened and off we went on holds later that afternoon. So the HRs wouldn't be the only TDs able to jump the queue, for which at the time I was never so grateful for.

I have a neighbour, died in the wool FF, who was on a treatment list for an operation for a few years, nothing serious but making life awkward for her.

She was eligible for that funding where the HSE pays for treatment abroad so she applied and was having difficulty getting the paperwork finalised to close up the application. She received very little help from whomever she was in contact with to get it done herself so she was carried to a clinic run by the Healy-Rea's where she explained her difficulty and gave the details to someone there working for the Healy-Rea's. They rang her back a few days later telling her she should be getting a letter in the post in the next few days with her case sorted.

She did.

She wasn't even a constituent of the Healy-Rea's at the time.

Nearly every person around here has similar stories where people had difficulties getting cases sorted and the Healy-Rea team sorted out the issues for people.

Those aren't people jumping queues but people forgotten and ignored by the systems in place.

All the HRs can do is move them to their rightful place in the system which the system wasn't willing to do without a bit of a nudge from an outside agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

There is no doubt " in the whole earthly world" as the late. Jackie would say but that the Healys Rae provide a top class constituency service. The D4 crowd and others laugh at their strong country accents but still they would like their own T.D.s to deliver the same service

MHR was on the news there earlier with his son that won the council seat. He said his son must now consider himself "a servant of the people" and work his backside off for them and that he will make sure of it, words to that effect. Even the words he uses are all about putting the message out there that they are working for the people (although of course that's looking after themselves too.) Kinda think though, other politicians, not all by any means, are so full of themselves, they would not want to be even associated with that word servant.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Edgware wrote: »
    There is no doubt " in the whole earthly world" as the late. Jackie would say but that the Healys Rae provide a top class constituency service. The D4 crowd and others laugh at their strong country accents but still they would like their own T.D.s to deliver the same service

Kerry gets everything going compared to other non Dublin counties

Parish pump gombeenism.

Healy Rae's also people with health problems, remember those that needed eye treatment in northern Ireland, having to leave Kerry for the long journey there and back,
    They don't fix private driveways,

Mrsmum wrote: »
    MHR was on the news there earlier with his son that won the council seat. He said his son must now consider himself "a servant of the people" and work his backside off for them and that he will make sure of it, words to that effect. Even the words he uses are all about putting the message out there that they are working for the people (although of course that's looking after themselves too.) Kinda think though, other politicians, not all by any means, are so full of themselves, they would not want to be even associated with that word servant.

People came to my door looking for my vote, I had to go out of my way to give them that vote, time spent going there, wear and tear on my car and fuel cost, of course I would expect them to go out there and serve my best interest,
    MHR is right,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

SlowBlowin wrote: »

Parish pump gombeenism.
    Indeed, Shane Ross is so different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

While the rest of the country goes to the polls to elect their TDs to deliver on education, health and other areas of national importance

The first rule any politician learns, regardless of platitudes, is that all politics is local.

All 5 on the Late Late tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Mrsmum wrote: »

Same son who has been charged with assault. Seems he wants to skip a court date in order to vote in the Killarney mayoral competion.
    https://www.thesun.ie/news/4158094/councillor-jackie-healy-rae-excused-court-vote-kerry-mayor/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭Quandary

People say the HRS get things done. The pertinent question has to be - what strings are they pulling to get these favours done for people. Are the means by which they get people bumped up the queue legitimate? Are there a variety of wheels that need to be greased along the way?

If all it takes is pure dedication , hard work and tenacity then I genuinely applaud the efforts of MHR and his family. However, I think we all know that it takes more than this to be able to do the things the HR family do.

For one person to be allowed skip a queue , it means another person in that queue has to wait longer and that is completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Edgware wrote: »

No, i would like TD's to get on with legislation for running the country, local stuff is for county councillors (it should be anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

They are no better or worse than what we have here in Dublin or anywhere else in Ireland.

Bertie Ahern anyone?

Advertisement