Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-05-2018, 18:06   #76
weldoninhio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulux99 View Post
It was not to do with a local matter, thanks.
So what’s them being “good to their constituents” got to do with your argument??
weldoninhio is offline  
Advertisement
23-05-2018, 18:08   #77
Bowie
Jean Genie
 
Bowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 9,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann View Post
Surely a walking argument against democracy?

I don't think I've ever heard any of them say anything that displayed any kind of education or knowledge on a subject.

The amount of air time they get is scandalous.
Their outfits and pantomime plays well to their base. What they carry out at local level to benefit them and theirs, FF/FG do the exact same, but on a larger scale. They didn't become millionaire by accident.
Bowie is offline  
23-05-2018, 18:18   #78
dulux99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
So what’s them being “good to their constituents” got to do with your argument??
I didn't put forward an argument. They're good to their constituents, that's a fact... I don't think even their most ardent critics would beg to differ
dulux99 is offline  
23-05-2018, 18:20   #79
weldoninhio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulux99 View Post
I didn't put forward an argument. They're good to their constituents, that's a fact... I don't think even their most ardent critics would beg to differ
But that’s not their job, and is the problem with politics in Ireland.
weldoninhio is offline  
Thanks from:
23-05-2018, 18:29   #80
dulux99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
But that’s not their job, and is the problem with politics in Ireland.
Don't I know it. My point is atleast they do something for the regular Joe soap on the street in kerry. Most of the people in the dail do nothing for anyone other than themselves and their old college buddies. It's a flawed system of course I know that.
dulux99 is offline  
Advertisement
23-05-2018, 18:36   #81
LaChatteGitane
Registered User
 
LaChatteGitane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulux99 View Post
I didn't put forward an argument. They're good to their constituents, that's a fact... I don't think even their most ardent critics would beg to differ
Not for the greater good, they aren't. It is all on a very personal level, their interference , sorry, their help. Often to the disadvantage of some other person, who will have to find his/her place way down the list.

People often tall me that the Healy-Raes do a lot of good for Kerry. When I ask if they can give me specifics, the go "er er, well they've done the road for so and so, or they have been to the funeral of my cousin 5 times removed.

It is corruption to some level as far as I'm concerned. Money might not be exchanged, but a few votes here and there will do the trick.

They might not be great intellectuals, but they are clever and crafty.
LaChatteGitane is offline  
Thanks from:
23-05-2018, 19:27   #82
Rows Grower
Registered User
 
Rows Grower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 3,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann View Post
Surely a walking argument against democracy?

I don't think I've ever heard any of them say anything that displayed any kind of education or knowledge on a subject.

The amount of air time they get is scandalous.
My dear man, they are the epitome of democracy.

Are you aware that Mike garnered the highest vote of any politician in the last general election?

His brother Danny who decided to enter as a candidate in the same General Election at literally the last minute was also elected as a TD in the same constituency.

No Healy Rae has ever lost an election.

Have a small think about that there now.

They represent Kerry people and represent them dam well, they make no excuses regarding this and are proud to proclaim it.

The fact that you think you have never heard any of them express any knowledge or education on any subject says a lot more about you than it does of any of the Healy Raes.

Haters will always hate and while the Healy Raes might look like an easy target they are far from it.

I met their father Jackie through salmon fishing around their locality many decades ago and a nicer, more helpful, witty person you couldn't hope to meet.

He was a fine saxophone player too.

Mike and Danny are probably the two hardest working politicians in the Dáil.

Then you have Johnny and Maura, both Councillors on KCC and soon to be members of the Dáil judging by the amount of work they are doing for people, as well as following their own separate successful careers outside of politics.

Young Jackie is another workaholic with a bright political career ahead of him.

I know for a fact that the Healy Raes have helped people outside of their constituency with matters that other more local politicians could not, and I'm not talking about securing a medical card.

Hats off to them is what I say.

A famous RTE reporter once asked the late Jackie

"Do you ever take off the hat?"

"No" says Jackie.

"Not even to scratch your head?"

Quick as a flash Jackie says "Do you take off your dress to scratch your arse?"
Rows Grower is offline  
23-05-2018, 19:34   #83
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 47
Those hats are only props

They have them on for gobsh1tes watching them
Textronic is offline  
23-05-2018, 20:16   #84
Mrsmum
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin100 View Post
Most TDs are little more than glorified county councelllors with little or no power to make any changes, these guys just play the system to a tee and are just better then most of the others at doing so. I have no time for their sh1te and never heard either of them make a sensible contribution to anything until this morning.......

On Pat Kennys radio show Michael was talking about the scheme whereby you can get your medical treatment in the EU for free if you can't get it in Ireland. He spoke about setting up a relationship with a hospital in the north and helping constituents avail of the scheme. He has helped people get surgery in a few weeks who otherwise would be waiting years for the HSE to do anything. Whatever you think of him he has made a real diffferene to these people's lives.

He also have a very sensible overview of why the need for him to do this is ridiculous and why we should be doing these treatment at home. I was surprised and shocked at how good he was. That's not something id ever thought I'd write about a Healy Rae.
Heard that on the radio this morning. I'm fairly sure it isn't even that he tells his constituents what's available to them but that he himself actually created the relationship with that hospital and actually organises the whole thing for the person he is helping, like everything apart from driving them there. That's good service. No wonder they vote for him.
I also know of someone from a different part of the country who rang one of them to get some query answered. When the person I know started apologising for ringing seeing as not being from Kerry, the Healy Rae fellow told him not to worry at all, that he gets calls non stop from all over rural Ireland.
Mrsmum is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-05-2018, 21:12   #85
Rechuchote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 927
I wonder what the doctors of the HSE who set up similar relationships and work hard & selflessly for their patients would have to say about that.
Rechuchote is offline  
(3) thanks from:
24-05-2018, 00:34   #86
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rows Grower View Post
My dear man, they are the epitome of democracy.
I'm sure that sounded awfully clever in your head, the dearest of men.

I've found you can tell a lot about about a person based on how vigorously they will defend a family whose only purpose in life is to suckle at the teat of the public purse.

I am of the opinion society would be better served if we were not forced to endure the ramblings of persons who can best be described as indirectly corrupt.

They do well for the people of Kerry? Great, how about they concentrate on that and refrain from pontificating on matters of national importance.
riemann is offline  
(3) thanks from:
24-05-2018, 00:52   #87
flas
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rows Grower View Post
My dear man, they are the epitome of democracy.

Are you aware that Mike garnered the highest vote of any politician in the last general election?

His brother Danny who decided to enter as a candidate in the same General Election at literally the last minute was also elected as a TD in the same constituency.

No Healy Rae has ever lost an election.

Have a small think about that there now.

They represent Kerry people and represent them dam well, they make no excuses regarding this and are proud to proclaim it.

The fact that you think you have never heard any of them express any knowledge or education on any subject says a lot more about you than it does of any of the Healy Raes.

Haters will always hate and while the Healy Raes might look like an easy target they are far from it.

I met their father Jackie through salmon fishing around their locality many decades ago and a nicer, more helpful, witty person you couldn't hope to meet.

He was a fine saxophone player too.

Mike and Danny are probably the two hardest working politicians in the Dáil.

Then you have Johnny and Maura, both Councillors on KCC and soon to be members of the Dáil judging by the amount of work they are doing for people, as well as following their own separate successful careers outside of politics.

Young Jackie is another workaholic with a bright political career ahead of him.

I know for a fact that the Healy Raes have helped people outside of their constituency with matters that other more local politicians could not, and I'm not talking about securing a medical card.

Hats off to them is what I say.

A famous RTE reporter once asked the late Jackie

"Do you ever take off the hat?"

"No" says Jackie.

"Not even to scratch your head?"

Quick as a flash Jackie says "Do you take off your dress to scratch your arse?"
They are elected to Dail Eireann to represent the people of Ireland, the whole country, from inncer city flats in Dublin to Malin head.

The reason and only reason they want to be elected is so they can have a money making project signed over to them, weren't they at the front of the no water charges protests in Kerry while also holding the contracts from Irish water for that part of the country, basically yeah we will stand with ye but if ye fail we will make a fortune from it. They took direct business from local post offices and then complain about local post offices closing and if Kerry county council need any plant hire you can be sure it will be from one family only.

Its mafia like in its nature. While not illegal, in twenty or thirty years time people will be looking back going how the hell did that happen.
flas is offline  
(2) thanks from:
24-05-2018, 06:34   #88
Rechuchote
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rows Grower View Post
I know for a fact that the Healy Raes have helped people outside of their constituency with matters that other more local politicians could not, and I'm not talking about securing a medical card.
Well, go on. Do tell!

The thing about the water charges: I can see their point. You want to support your constituents in their protest against what they see as an unfair and wrong tax. But you're also the only big business owner locally who has the capacity to deal with the contracts for the improvements to water infrastructure.
Rechuchote is offline  
24-05-2018, 08:01   #89
Buford T. Justice VI
Moderator
 
Buford T. Justice VI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 16,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann View Post
I'm sure that sounded awfully clever in your head, the dearest of men.

I've found you can tell a lot about about a person based on how vigorously they will defend a family whose only purpose in life is to suckle at the teat of the public purse.

I am of the opinion society would be better served if we were not forced to endure the ramblings of persons who can best be described as indirectly corrupt.

They do well for the people of Kerry? Great, how about they concentrate on that and refrain from pontificating on matters of national importance.
So matters of national importance don't matter in Kerry.

I'll be sure to tell them that.
Buford T. Justice VI is offline  
24-05-2018, 08:03   #90
whisky_galore
Registered User
 
whisky_galore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 7,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rechuchote View Post

The thing about the water charges: I can see their point. You want to support your constituents in their protest against what they see as an unfair and wrong tax. But you're also the only big business owner locally who has the capacity to deal with the contracts for the improvements to water infrastructure.
It's win-win for them, isn't it?

I saw MHR going around talking to the young ones in bars in Killarney on a sat night, shaking hands and taking selfies.

What big city politician ever does that? If people feel valued and their problems are sorted for them, who wouldn't vote for them?

Why should they give a fcuk what happens in inner city Dublin, the Midlands or Donegal?
whisky_galore is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet