Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Should nuts be banned in schools?
Yes - they should be banned 201 50.76%
No - the school, children and parents should accomodate 175 44.19%
Don't know 20 5.05%
Voters: 396. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

09-10-2019, 18:40   #31
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

In college, I lived with a girl who had a very serious allergy to nuts and eggs. We talking trace amounts could kill her. All the other housemates were really careful. She was the only housemate to get her own kitchen press rather than sharing between two so that she could know exactly what was placed in there at all times. There was an exclusion zone around her food in the fridge, she had her own kitchen cloths and she brought a few pieces of cookware that only she would use. We took it very seriously.

I’m not sure children could be trusted to do the same. I think some children might even try to trigger the allergy if they got wind of it, not knowing the gravity of the situation. I guess the child could keep quiet about it and do their part to stay away from the foods of other children. But when the child is very young, could they be careless about this?

I’m actually on the fence here. It seems like something could be put in place to protect the child without having to go full ban. But, on the other hand, nuts are something other children can eat at home. It’s as serious as life or swift death for some people with allergies.

A ban on nuts isn’t something I’d get worked up about, to be honest. It’s a small thing.
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 18:40   #32
Your Face

No I think schools for children should be banned.
They should go out and do a days work like the rest of us.
For far too long these pint-sized layabouts have shafted the system, lolling about in cozy schools whilst I go out working and payong for everything with my taxes.
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 18:43   #33
Shelli2

If a child in the school has an allergy, diagnosed, then fair enough.
But I've seen schools ban nuts and not have any children with officially diagnosed allergies, just in case??

I would totally comply with any ban and wouldn't risk any child's health.

I do wonder why there seems to be an increase in severe allergies over the last decade though. People try to say they were always there, but the nut bans were never there when we were kids, and surely if these severe reactions were at the same rate as today, there would be kids going into anaphylactic shock all over the place back then???
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 18:43   #34
SEPT 23 1989

Billions of Monkey nuts handed out at Halloween years ago

Nobody died
09-10-2019, 18:46   #35
Dravokivich

Let's just let the need to vaccinate slide as well while were at it so.
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 18:47   #36
Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr_Dougal View Post
Why were there no nut allergies in schools years ago?
There were.
09-10-2019, 18:50   #37
eviltwin

There's a ban in my sons school. It doesn't impact us at all. If he wants peanut butter, Nutella etc he can have them at home. There are plenty of options available for him to eat. Complaining about it seems very selfish under the circumstances
09-10-2019, 18:50   #38
Fringegirl

If being careful about what goes in the lunch box means another child avoids anaphylaxis then I have no problem with it.

All schools where I am have a complete 'no nuts' policy, its no big deal but if my child had a severe nut allergy then I would appreciate it.
09-10-2019, 18:50   #39
Sour Lemonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by byhookorbycrook View Post
Our school (490 children) has a total nut ban. No problem, because all of our parents are good in this regard, you'd want to be a particular kind of gobdaw like the OP to endanger other children's lives.

Bullies bringing nuts in as a threat is, frankly, hilarious. Do you have primary age children? (Maybe the OP's kids if they have any, might, but otherwise

And funnily enough, children who have serious allergic reactions don't feel the need to bow to peer pressure to put themselves at risk of death.
I don't have any children and frankly your response is lacking in maturity. Bullies are not all the knuckle dragging type they used to be perceived as, they have evolved and come in many different types especially as kids.

There are cases of kids bullying others for purposes of amusement, some bully by assaulting someone all while the youtube recording bully captures the moments as they enjoy watching others suffer. You have cases in the courts of teen bullies sexually assaulting and raping other children or teens through peer pressure or force and coercion.

Don't underestimate a bullies ability to use any situation to their advantage, yes some kids may be able to stand up to peer pressure however there are those that are not able to.

I went to school with bullies who were drug dealing so they could get free drugs from their dealer by getting others hooked, also some teens at my school you assaulted others with blades. Others were bullied for their sexual orientation, disability, social status, religion. We had bullies male and female who took advantage of others, its not purely defined by sex, gender, social or religious background for the bully or victim.

Bullies adapt as much as anyone else, i wouldn't put it passed a bully to use an allergy or affliction against someone. and soon as you recognize that maybe you will be that bit wiser and educated.
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 18:52   #40
Ave Sodalis

A girl in my year in secondary school had a severe peanut nut allergy. Even the dust of one could set her off. There were almost 1000 students in the school and we had no problem adhering to a no peanuts policy. In my entire time there, she never once ended up in a critical situation. I'm really struggling to see why it would be an issue for anyone.
09-10-2019, 18:52   #41
Peatys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelli2 View Post
If a child in the school has an allergy, diagnosed, then fair enough.
But I've seen schools ban nuts and not have any children with officially diagnosed allergies, just in case??

I would totally comply with any ban and wouldn't risk any child's health.

I do wonder why there seems to be an increase in severe allergies over the last decade though. People try to say they were always there, but the nut bans were never there when we were kids, and surely if these severe reactions were at the same rate as today, there would be kids going into anaphylactic shock all over the place back then???
Yeah!
09-10-2019, 18:54   #42
GarIT

It's the same argument as juggling knives. It it's probably ok exercise and I'm sure the kids who are skilled at it would be fairly safe, but when it goes wrong someone's ****ed.
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 18:54   #43
forestgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickers View Post
What is the general consensus on this. IMO, I find it bizarre that the rest of the school population has to accommodate an extremely small % of kids who have an alleged nut allergy. One of the few things we can give kids that are healthy and they enjoy are being banned.

Do the schools ask for a confirmation from their doctor before they ask the rest of school population what to not feed their children? I have my suspicions that alot of these allergies are self diagnosed or the parents have been to some quack that did an online course.

What do these parents do when their kids are outside of school or go to summer camp, for a walk. Will the whole world bend to their needs?
You really need to educate yourself
09-10-2019, 18:56   #44
iamwhoiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPT 23 1989 View Post
Billions of Monkey nuts handed out at Halloween years ago

Nobody died
Yes they actually did . Have you ever seen a child in anaphylactic shock ? I have and I did in the 70’s too and it’s frightening and horrible and a child can die before your eyes

My granddaughter is in Junior infants and they cannot bring in nuts or Nutella
Its not a problem at all and the children are well aware why they must protect their friend . They get it at age 4 and 5 and have no problem with it
09-10-2019, 19:00   #45
Hobosan

Banning nuts increases allergies due to lack of exposure.

Now, read through this thread again and look at all the "gobdaws" on their high horses, making the problem worse while thinking themselves ultra considerate and clever.

Science deniers come in all stripes.
Thread Closed