Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should nuts in school be banned for the small % who have "nut allergies"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

He's right though!

And Jonathan Haidt is right too ...

https://youtu.be/-iQmoe7Wygw

All these alergies are from parents mollycoddling their kids.
    It's their fault they have the allergies, they should make sure the kids aren't exposed - not the school

How is it my fault my child has an allergy? Or any parents fault?

Seeing your childs face turning red and getting bloated is not on any parents wish list.

So please do enlighten me on what I did wrong.

I've no problem being used as a cautionary tale!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its not walking on eggshells, its simply asking parents to restrict nuts to their own home.

But apparently that's still dangerous as oils from nuts can stay on hands for a good while or a child could handle Nutella on the way to school ,

You cannot eliminate the possibility of an accidental exposure to nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What percentage of children have nut allergies? Is there guaranteed to be at least one child with a nut allergy in every school?

And if nut allergies are on the rise would that be due to emigration from countries where eating nuts is less common?

https://news.sky.com/story/boys-death-from-allergic-reaction-after-cheese-hit-neck-unprecedented-11710285#

That's referring to cheese but the question still stands.[/QUOTE]

He was allergic to dairy products, cheese in this case. It is a well recognised fact that people of asian origin are less tolerant of lactose (milk to put it simply) than europeans.

Gatling wrote: »
    But apparently that's still dangerous as oils from nuts can stay on hands for a good while or a child could handle Nutella on the way to school ,

Sure and that's understandable people aren't asking for schools to be cleanrooms, they are just asking for parents not to send their kids to school with nuts.
    It greatly reduces the risk,not eliminates it.
    That's all that is being asked of parents in schools with nut free policies.

• Advertisement

I remember reading about an Australian woman who was adamant that peanut allergies were just a fad and that it was ridiculous to ban peanuts from schools.
    Her first son had no allergies, her second had a peanut allergy and her outlook totally changed when she was confronted with the enormity of the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Markcheese wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you?
    A nut allergy can be a very serious thing, and kids can do stupid stuff...

yeah sure lets ban nuts but not the unvaccinated. The logic here is actually nuts :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Its not walking on eggshells, its simply asking parents to restrict nuts to their own home.

As stated allergies worldwide are on the rise, Who knows why?

I have no nut allergies my wife the same and my daughter likewise, why my son has it is a mystery to all of us.
    Regardless the point is we don't have peanuts in the house because of the potentially lethal consequences.
    I love peanuts but have restricted my intake to other nuts because of the issue, its no big deal for me but it is for my son.

So could you not eat peanuts at all then ever?

I read here that even the smell of a peanut can be fatal in severe cases? Is that true? Seems rather extreme that the smell of something could kill.

If you ate a peanut today and then, say tomorrow you touched your child's hand, could they die from the touch? like I mean even if you washed you hands thoroughly, could some allergen from the peanut go through your system and end up being in your sweat or skin oils and be transferred and be lethal to your son?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

But you can take steps to minimise exposure as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

He has to carry Epipens constantly, its a real pain but very necessary.

The short shelf life of the pens is a massive pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He's right though!

And Jonathan Haidt is right too ...

https://youtu.be/-iQmoe7Wygw

All these alergies are from parents mollycoddling their kids.
    It's their fault they have the allergies, they should make sure the kids aren't exposed - not the school

So these kids shouldn't attend school and if they do then they should just accept the risk that they may have a reaction and die at any point, because eating nuts at school is a human right that can't possibly be denied to children. it's totally up to the parents to protect them. Sounds reasonable alright

Seriously, would you listen to yourself ffs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you banned nuts in my school, half the teachers would have to be sacked.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My lack of children and lack of being an educator does not invalidate the points i have made. Your experience is just that, your experience, other people have different experiences, it does not make you more educated or wiser.

My 10 yo nephew has CF, actively tells his teachers about needing certain medications when eating and can't be in contact with other CF kids. I am agreed with alot of smart kids that can communicate these things, however based on ranges across different age groups and schools there is the possibility something could happen.
    My experience is vastly more than yours, so there you go. You speak of a school you attended and your experience , so I can quote my far more extensive and up-to-date experience. Which is why those school needs to be nut free.

In our staff-room, children with allergies and other serious conditions are listed, with notes from their parents as to what to do/not do. Subs are given the relevant notes. It's not about "smart" kids (however you want to define that.) It's about children looking out for each other. You don't need a high academic IQ to be "smart" in this case, you need empathy for your peers. if you have a parent telling you that you can have whatever you want for lunch and feic that child who may actually die, then, your empathetic IQ is going to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If a child at a school has an allergy to eggs, should all egg products be banned?

So could you not eat peanuts at all then ever?

I read here that even the smell of a peanut can be fatal in severe cases? Is that true? Seems rather extreme that the smell of something could kill.

If you ate a peanut today and then, say tomorrow you touched your child's hand, could they die from the touch? like I mean even if you washed you hands thoroughly, could some allergen from the peanut go through your system and end up being in your sweat or skin oils and be transferred and be lethal to your son?

No, he isn't that allergic fortunately, but if we had peanut butter in the house and someone made a sandwich and didn't clean the knife then it could be an issue.
    Some people have hypersensitive allergies and literally the dust off the peanuts could trigger a potentially fatal reaction.
    Peanut oil doesn't contain much of the protein which seems to be most problematic for Peanut allergy sufferers.
    Not saying its fine, obviously some could have a reaction, but for us its just not worth the risk having peanuts in the house.
    We travelled with him when he was only about 4 yrs old, I remember the nice people behind us were trying to give him some peanuts!
    Not out of malice but they were just unaware that he was peanut allergic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My 10 yo nephew has CF, actively tells his teachers about needing certain medications when eating and can't be in contact with other CF kids. I am agreed with alot of smart kids that can communicate these things, however based on ranges across different age groups and schools there is the possibility something could happen.

By your logic, the other children with CF and children with childhood illnesses should actively infect your nephew. I'm immuno-compromised. I know exactly how serious the most basic of infections can be.

cnocbui wrote: »
    If a child at a school has an allergy to eggs, should all egg products be banned?

It would be more difficult but I don’t know if anyone would be crying over egg mayo sandwiches being kept from school, to be honest.

Nuts are just easier to ban. Anything reasonable that can be done probably should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But you can take steps to minimise exposure as much as possible.

Only within the school possibly not completely they definitely cannot control what hundreds of families eat and touch outside of the school,

At my school we have hazelnuts trees in the hedgerows around the school id imagine that they would have to go due to a risk

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Where'd all these allergies come from?
    Every Halloween there were heaps of monkey nuts fcuked at us and no one keeled over as a result.

ted1 wrote: »
    More people dies cussing the road this week than dies from nut allergies in the past 5 years. Should we ban crossing the road ?
    Tell all the primary children to run out on the road,no high vis. no road safety training, no adult intervention. Let's see what happens.
    OR, we could do what we could to stop them getting killed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

By your logic, the other children with CF and children with childhood illnesses should actively infect your nephew. I'm immuno-compromised. I know exactly how serious the most basic of infections can be.

Im talking about allergies being used against others, i never said immune issues could be used. I used that to reply to your point on discussion of issues they have with teachers, nice try with trying to twist what i said though.

Only within the school possibly not completely they definitely cannot control what hundreds of families eat and touch outside of the school,

At my school we have hazelnuts trees in the hedgerows around the school id imagine that they would have to go due to a risk

What school would even try to do that? :confused: Talk about looking for things to get annoyed about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

And so was dyslexia, dyspraxia, asthma etc.etc.etc.

No we had asthma and dyslexia ! They’re actual problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Sure and that's understandable people aren't asking for schools to be cleanrooms, they are just asking for parents not to send their kids to school with nuts.
    It greatly reduces the risk,not eliminates it.
    That's all that is being asked of parents in schools with nut free policies.

I definitely agree with the nut free policy, it must be so frightening to have to deal with a severe allergy.

I have had kids birthday parties where one of the children had a severe nut allergy (he didn't even have to ingest for a reaction) but we knew he was coming so just a small bit of planning ahead (which would be done anyway for a party) meant he could enjoy everything the same as all the other kids including birthday cake.

Much greater choice for 'free from' foods today which makes it easier but I think eating out must be risky for allergy sufferers.

I have a friend who is coeliac and can only eat in certain places that she knows are legit gluten free (she has discovered through trial and error).

Some places seem to think she's being faddy or fashionably gluten free and will tell her yeah it's gluten free when it's not strictly (cooked in the same oil as other foods or contains sauces with gluten etc), she ends up in agony for days afterwards with damage to her stomach and bowel etc along with other symptoms from the immune response.

Think it's great that other children in the class know about allergies and defend their pals in this regard. Its not much to ask for kids to leave the nuts for home time.

I did see some success for nut allergies with a slow exposure over time in a controlled medical environment, do you think maybe you might be able to try this in the future for your child?

Something like 2.5-3% of the population has a nut allergy now. Its risen 5 fold since the mid-nineties which is probably why people think this is just a made up problem
    There is a lot of confusion with intolerance and actual allergies.

People who complain about being allergic to something but are not at risk of Anaphylaxis are intolerant of the food.

People eating something which makes your throat swell up so you can't breathe and die are allergic.

Where'd all these allergies come from?
    Every Halloween there were heaps of monkey nuts fcuked at us and no one keeled over as a result.

They come from precious parents actively avoiding exposing their children to peanuts early in life.

ted1 wrote: »
    More people dies cussing the road this week than dies from nut allergies in the past 5 years. Should we ban crossing the road ?

Aren’t there ongoing efforts to stop people getting hit by cars? I didn’t know you could only be concerned about one thing at a time.

cnocbui wrote: »

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Actually it would be more down to not knowing what the medical issue was and recording the consequences as unknown.

Perhaps but can’t recall anyone almost dying for no reason/s

• Advertisement

Yes.

I don't agree with you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement