Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should nuts in school be banned for the small % who have "nut allergies"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

A much higher risk of getting hit by a car then dying of anawhatever shock as a percentage of the general population. Thousand of people have died from car accidents, people get into cars everyday. A more accurate analogy would be asking everybody in the office not to drive to work because one of the employees has an allergy to cars.

This post is a work of art in its naked stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Treppen wrote: »
    No problem with getting school to go nut free.

We did it and they sky didn't fall in.

Kids got to stay alive.... and got and education too. Nobody was put out... Except idiots on here I suppose.

I've got a surprise for you... The school isn't nut free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Two sides of this argument;

1. My child could die

2. My child likes nuts

I know which one I find more compelling.

I remember there was a huge backlash against the Peter Rabbit film a few years back because it had a character with a strawberry allergy having strawberries thrown at him and it was portrayed as comical hijinks, idiotic to show that kind of thing in such a manner in a kid's film.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Anaphylactic shock . I had two and be very grateful you had not

My sister developed this in her 40's if she gets a wasp sting. She has to carry an Epipen with her now all the time.

It's made me so paranoid now around wasps as when I was a kid I had no issues at all with their stings. Seemingly it can develop out of the blue at any stage of your life. :(

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Two sides of this argument;

1. My child could die

2. My child likes nuts

I know which one I find more compelling.

I remember there was a huge backlash against the Peter Rabbit film a few years back because it had a character with a strawberry allergy having strawberries thrown at him and it was portrayed as comical hijinks, idiotic to show that kind of thing in such a manner in a kid's film.

Two sides of the arguement:

1. My child could die if they go to school

2. I keep my child at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lesalare wrote: »
    My sister developed this in her 40's if she gets a wasp sting. She has to carry an Epipen with her now all the time.

It's made me so paranoid now around wasps as when I was a kid I had no issues at all with their stings. Seemingly it can develop out of the blue at any stage of your life. :(

I know a Doctor who has a Latex allergy, sounds funny but lots of medical gear is made of latex, surgical tubing, gloves etc.
    Trying to save someone's life but having an attack is no joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was on a flight from the US to Dub recently and they said at the very start no one was to even open a packet of nuts on the plane, they repeated it about 7 times. I have no idea some people are that badly effected. It must be terrible to suffer from this.

I think the danger can be amplified on a plane as the air is recirculated.

So a person eating peanuts at the top of the plane could in theory affect someone sitting at the back.

It must be a torture for sure. But if you know having that packet of peanuts could kill someone, would you really need them that badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

NIMAN wrote: »

So a person eating peanuts at the top of the plane could in theory affect someone sitting at the back.

It must be a torture for sure. But if you know having that packet of peanuts could kill someone, would you really need them that badly?

Hey, no I get that. Re. the air etc...

I just felt bad for the person with the condition has to go through that on a daily basis. Really opened my eyes how constricting and worrying it must be for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I dont think they were complaining.

I have had 2 shocks in my life, and they are scary. And I don't even think mine were bad.

I spoke to my GP about it, and I think that I might have been a little flippant about it, as he kinda got a bit angry with me about it and told me to take it very seriously. He then proceed to tell me he lost a friend to it, he was out fishing on a boat and had no epipen with him, and died.

That made me take it seriously.

And unfortunately for me, he said that once you start to develop allergies, you can get them to anything. So although I have been stung many times in my life, he said the next one might shock me, or I could develop an allergy to peanuts for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

A much higher risk of getting hit by a car then dying of anawhatever shock as a percentage of the general population. Thousand of people have died from car accidents, people get into cars everyday. A more accurate analogy would be asking everybody in the office not to drive to work because one of the employees has an allergy to cars.

Your ignorance is absolutely astounding.
    People die horrible, terrifying deaths every day from anaphylactic shock.

I’ve seen someone go through it and the only thing I can liken it to is watching someone suffocate in plain sight, you can’t help them, they can’t help themselves, it’s so scary.
    And the more they panic the less they can breathe and the faster they’ll black out and potentially die.

Maybe educate yourself on how serious and life threatening conditions like this are before throwing about such off hand assumptions about their severity.
    So disappointing to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Worked with a woman who used to break out in huge hives if someone in the large office building ate nuts. Even if they were well away from her, so maybe could be down to the same thing with air conditioning and recirculating air.

I sat near to her and knew about her allergy but not everyone did. She had an epi pen and I suggested she maybe have a memo sent around to have a no nut policy (admittedly I was nervous in case something happened to her) but she was too embarrassed and didn't want to make a fuss.

I would not have liked to see what her allergic reaction was like if she touched or worse ate a nut because it was quite severe just from airborne particles.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Kathnora

I was on a plane in South America (internal flight) where they served nuts as a free snack to all passengers. Not a word about allergies. I don't how the airline got away withe doing that.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yep, happened me, I developed a nut allergy a few years ago despite having eaten them all my life up to that point. Fortunately my allergy is mild enough, it's uncomfortable if I have a reaction as various parts of me swell or itch, but thankfully it's not life-threatening and I don't need to carry an epipen. But I will say that even a mild allergy is bloody unpleasant, so I wouldn't wish a full blown anaphylactic episode on my worst enemy. Anyone getting outraged about not being able to have a packet of nuts for a while so another person doesn't come to harm should take a good look at themselves in the mirror, because that's what a dick looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    Our school is nut free.
    Last year we received first aid training in how to use Epipens and Jextpens just in case we had to use them.
    A few kids have airborne nut allergies so nuts are a big no-no.

Airborne nut allergies, wtf? I went through all levels of school I didn't know a single person with any major allergy, so to me to hear that someone could have a serious immune response to an airborne food particle is literally nuts to me.

There is something seriously wrong with western society if this is now becoming a thing in a relatively short period of time. To me its due to a lack of exposure of the immune system to the environment. Banning nuts will just add to the problem of kids developing deficient immune systems.

🙈🙉🙊

Kathnora wrote: »
    I was on a plane in South America (internal flight) where they served nuts as a free snack to all passengers. Not a word about allergies. I don't how the airline got away withe doing that.

I think rather than ban nuts on all flights, airlines prefer to do it just on flights where perhaps a passenger alerts them to their allergy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

cnocbui wrote: »
    If a child at a school has an allergy to eggs, should all egg products be banned?

Nuts.. not eggs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Poll Options are a little confusing.

I would have no problem with a complete ban on nuts and nut products when there is a child with a diagnosed allergy in the school.

But if there are no children with nut allergies, then some nuts / nut products shouldn't be an issue.

So YES - full ban where there is a child with a nut allergy

But NO - against a full ban on nuts just as a general policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Kathnora wrote: »

We were flying to States and before take off, flight crew came on the intercom and said no nuts or good from menu with nuts listed would be served as they received prior notice from a passenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

road_high wrote: »
    How we survived primary school from the late 80s to mid 90s without any of this namby pamby nanny state stuff is still a mystery to me. Allergies etc seemed to be almost unheard of
    Well then they must not exist so.
    Billions of Monkey nuts handed out at Halloween years ago

Nobody died
    Obviously you haven't seen a child go into anaphylactic shock. You'd change your tune if you did. It could kill people.

Very selfish too - "oh it doesn't happen to my loved ones, therefore it doesn't exist." Medical research uncovers new things all the time - just because something was not known about or just because it's rare, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Nanny state whatever is irrelevant.

And if it's the parents' fault (explain how please) then how come not every child in the family has it.

• Advertisement

I'm sure parents must worry but you have to balance the risk for the sake of the kid.

If the school has a no nuts policy then you have a small peace of mind that they will monitor it and have a degree of control over things.

The child and other children will be mindful of the allergy too as well as staff and severe allergy sufferers will probably have access to an epipen just in case.

Just because they have an allergy doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to live a relatively normal life and go to school and have friends just like everyone else. Allowing no nuts is a pretty minor thing to let a kid have a normal childhood.

Yes something could happen but the risk is minimised through all of this.

So what happens when they are outside school, are you going to try and control every other environment that the kids encounter.

Classic bulldoze parenting. Bulldoze everything out of my child's way and make other people adjust to my child's circumstances.

What rare condition do we need to placate to next. And it's always parents who had their kids in their 40's who are so precious about their kids.

Airborne nut allergies, wtf? I went through all levels of school I didn't know a single person with any major allergy, so to me to hear that someone could have a serious immune response to an airborne food particle is literally nuts to me.

There is something seriously wrong with western society if this is now becoming a thing in a relatively short period of time. To me its due to a lack of exposure of the immune system to the environment.
    Read about airborne nut allergies years ago.

Unreal selfishness on this thread.

Remember that little girl who died on a main shopping area of Dublin a few years back.

She'd eat at a local restaurant that said there was no peanuts in a sauce, and there was.

Her mum asked a chemist for an epipen and they refused.

She died on the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Remember that little girl who died on a main shopping area of Dublin a few years back.

She died on the street.

She died after eating accidentally eating a satay dish in a chinese restaurant without knowing what it contained.

Very tragic death, she was only 14.

So what happens when they are outside school, are you going to try and control every other environment that the kids encounter.

Classic bulldoze parenting. Bulldoze everything out of my child's way and make other people adjust to my child's circumstances.

What rare condition do we need to placate to next. And it's always parents who had their kids in their 40's who are so precious about their kids.

Those circumstances could be death. Damn straight those parents should bulldoze. Who cares if it’s a rare condition if it’s deadly? :confused: Does the rareness offset the high risk of fatality? What’s the relevance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

AulWan wrote: »
    Poll Options are a little confusing.

I would have no problem with a complete ban on nuts and nut products when there is a child with a diagnosed allergy in the school.

But if there are no children with nut allergies, then some nuts / nut products shouldn't be an issue.

So YES - full ban where there is a child with a nut allergy

But NO - against a full ban on nuts just as a general policy.

Yeah but an evolving policy is confusing at best.

It's safer for all concerned if it's just a set policy.

We didn't know ours had an allergy until they had a reaction, there is no history in either of our families. Their minder in crèche got an awful fright. I wouldn't wish that on anyone in charge of another person's child, even if it is their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

She died on the street.

Terrible case, but the law around that has changed now as a result, so sad and unnecessary.

She died on the street.
    No I don't remember that.

What I remember is a girl who was 14. She had a meal with peanuts in it and neither she nor her mother had an epi-pen. Her mother went into a chemist, not panicking, asking if there was any chance she could get an epi-pen over the counter. The chemist wasn't able to do this.

Her death was pinned on the chemist which was a disgrace - that poor man or woman.

But it does illustrate that a peanut allergy can kill, no matter what moronic things are said here to downplay that reality.

She'd eat at a local restaurant that said there was no peanuts in a sauce, and there was.

She died on the street.

Yeah, that was heartbreaking. And controversial if I remember rightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If the government removed the the advice for pregnant women not to eat nuts during pregnancy the allergy rates would drop way down.

Allergy rates are on the increase in the countries that continue to advice expecting mothers to avoid nuts during pregnancy.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270605.php

But my SIL & Sister were both told to avoid anything with peanuts, despite the fact neither had an allergy to nuts or peanuts. In the early 00's i know if was a massive campaign for pregnant women to avoid peanuts while pregnant.*

*In the States

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement