Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Do you believe in God
Yes 145 24.17%
No 455 75.83%
Voters: 600. You may not vote on this poll

09-10-2019, 21:28   #556
Holly13

I don’t believe in God, but I wish I did. Told my parents when I was 12 that I wasn’t going to Mass with them anymore because I didn’t believe any of it.
I love churches and lighting candles for people though.
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 21:29   #557
auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Not quite. This solution flies in the face monotheism.
09-10-2019, 21:29   #558
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthclare View Post
Being a pagan, I am well aware of the total bull**** that comes from the Abrahamic version of lifestyle etc
What type of pagan can I ask?

Norse, Celtic, Greek, etc?
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 21:33   #559
theological

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy:Incognito View Post
The truth is, your whole faith is based on the area of the world you happen to be born in and the book that happened to take hold there. If you were born in another part of the world youd be another religion. Although maybe youd be the lone white man in the middle east and gain a following........

This is an outdated argument for a number of reasons.

There are many more Christians outside of the Western world than there are in it.

If my beliefs were solely grounded in geography and my demographic in respect to age, race, and so on, the chances are much higher that I would be an secularist / atheist like you rather than a Bible believing Christian to be fair.

Are you sure that you aren't an atheist just based on geography or have you thought it through and looked at it for yourself?
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 21:41   #560
nthclare

Quote:
What type of pagan can I ask?

Norse, Celtic, Greek, etc?
I don't fall into any category to be honest.
I'm a bit of a lone wolf, but maybe leaning more towards the Celtic pagan myself.

I am mesmerized by plant's, bird's, fish all creature's big and small, good people and every morning I wake up I'm thankful to be alive.

I suppose the best thing I ever experienced was the time I realized that the whole church and Christian thing was a load of horse ****...

Pagans fought different clan's in the past and had their own battle's and rituals etc
But they never sough world domination or were saying that non believers will burn in hell.

They weren't obsessed with sex like the Christians were either, they embraced sex and had god's and goddesses, a bit like polytheism but they appreciated different energies and the season's, then the christians came....
Thanks from:
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 22:02   #561
Fourier

Thanks for answering nthclare. I'm not pagan myself, but I really like older mythologies especially Celtic and Norse.
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 22:13   #562
nthclare

Quote:
Thanks for answering nthclare. I'm not pagan myself, but I really like older mythologies especially Celtic and Norse.
It's amazing alright, more creative and action packed than the Abrahamic myths.

Being on the periphery of the Atlantic Ocean in the most western part of Europe, we've nothing in common with the sand demon of the middle East.
It makes no sense that me, all that burning in hell, eternal damnation etc

So what if there's nothing at the end, but our good deeds and friendships will live on in other peoples mind's, if we're parents and our children have children and so on there will always be a part of our DNA and the DNA of our ancestors lives on in us.

Either way, I hope to leave this place with happy memories and have been useful to others....
(2) thanks from:
09-10-2019, 22:13   #563
Professor Moriarty

Quote:
Greek philosophy, especially Epicureanism and Stoicism, offers very logical ways of understanding 'God'. Much more so than any current mainstream religions.
09-10-2019, 22:28   #564
Professor Moriarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthclare View Post
It's amazing alright, more creative and action packed than the Abrahamic myths.

Being on the periphery of the Atlantic Ocean in the most western part of Europe, we've nothing in common with the sand demon of the middle East.
It makes no sense that me, all that burning in hell, eternal damnation etc

So what if there's nothing at the end, but our good deeds and friendships will live on in other peoples mind's, if we're parents and our children have children and so on there will always be a part of our DNA and the DNA of our ancestors lives on in us.

Either way, I hope to leave this place with happy memories and have been useful to others....
This is often wrongly attributed to Marcus Aurelius but it makes sense anyway:

Live a Good Life
If there are Gods and they are just, you will have served them.
If there are Gods and they are unjust, you should not have wanted to serve them.
If there are no Gods, your noble deeds will live on in the memories of your loved ones.
Advertisement
09-10-2019, 22:40   #565
tatranska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy:Incognito View Post
You cant use lines from a book some lad wrote to prove the existence of the characters in the same book.

Would you accept my argument that Harry Potter is real if my only proof for it is that theres a book about him?

The truth is, your whole faith is based on the area of the world you happen to be born in and the book that happened to take hold there. If you were born in another part of the world youd be another religion. Although maybe youd be the lone white man in the middle east and gain a following........
You obviously don't know about a huge Christian Church in Communist China or the Muslims who are turning to Christ in the Middle East or the Hindus in India. Where you're born has no part to play in a belief in Christ.
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 23:08   #566
Marhay70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len_007 View Post
I don't think that is fair. There are many characteristics (as you point out) ascribed to God in the Bible, that was one I used that I felt fit the context.

Indeed, if God is omniscient as the Bible claims him to be, then he knew how it would all go down.
Interesting that you see him being guilty of Entrapment.
Would you see life being a worthy endeavour despite the inevitability of death?
Parents have brought a life into the world knowing full well that this person will one day suffer and die, it's only a matter of time. Yet, our world is based on this fundamental principal, and we don't question the worth of doing it.

The logic of placing a guard in the way to the tree of life, was an act of grace. To live perpetually in this new state of rebellion and hatred toward God for ever was not originally intended. Therefore by God allowing a person to die, it releases them from this experience.

Incidentally, Revelation ends with mankind living with God forever with full access to the tree of life again.

The fact that God is "invisible" now, meaning that, he doesn't act in ways he did in the Bible, is not new. There were long stretches of time when there was "no new word from the LORD" during the time span the Bible covers. Sending plagues was not his day job. But, there were big tent pole events in Israel's history that were meant to be used at the time of judgment from God to wayward peoples, and then seen and understood as object lessons.
Less Psychopath, more a disciplining Parent.

What we have here is entrapment as I said. An omniscient God would know exactly what was about to unfold and, to put it simply, he must have wanted it to happen. He knew the participants, he knew the circumstances and he knew the result. He knew that, far from just condemning Adam and Eve to death, he was condemning billions of their descendants to death and on the way to that death to pain and suffering.Why create the thing if this was your plan for it?
By his duplicity he created sin and had he not created sin there would be no need for redemption so the raison d'etre of Christianity would not exist . There would have been no need for the messiah or the crucifixion or any of the suffering that has happened since then
Definitely not the reasonable actions of a concerned parent but those of a psychopath.
09-10-2019, 23:12   #567
Marhay70

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatranska View Post
You obviously don't know about a huge Christian Church in Communist China or the Muslims who are turning to Christ in the Middle East or the Hindus in India. Where you're born has no part to play in a belief in Christ.
What about the millions in the old world who have turned their backs on it? Even God's representative on earth couldn't draw a decent crowd in what was once the most devoutly Catholic country on earth
09-10-2019, 23:24   #568
hgfj

There are no gods, only believers. God is an invention of Man. All gods created by men are merely reflections of their own biases, prejudices and desires. Man decides what he wants and doesn't want, and then projects this bias onto his creation, God. So when Man says that God says unbaptised babies must burn in hell it is in fact only Man saying unbaptised babies go to hell. The crueller the Man, the crueller the God the Man creates.

Last edited by hgfj; 09-10-2019 at 23:28.
09-10-2019, 23:40   #569
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by theological View Post
You've been getting all kinds of excellent Bible based answers from a number of posters. I've got pretty much nothing to add.

The problem is that you don't like the answer. That's fine, we don't promise that you will. However, the questions I've seen on this thread have been clearly answered with reference to Scripture.

Here's a great answer below for example:
So just to be sure that I understand it correctly, the people who experience cancer and other dreadful conditions today are being punished by God for the actions of their predecessors thousands of years ago?

Doesn't it all seem a little needy, vindictive, almost psychopathic?
Thanks from:
09-10-2019, 23:44   #570
hgfj

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJRenko View Post

Doesn't it all seem a little needy, vindictive, almost psychopathic?

Even human.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion