Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Neeson has landed himself in a spot of trouble

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

eviltwin wrote: »
    He's a brave man admitting that in this day and age:D

I know people will rush to condemn him but look at the context, he was talking about he felt at that time, in the moment of learning what had happened to his loved one. It's an understandable reaction to a violent assault.

I'd presume he doesn't feel that way now but the permanently outraged won't let that stop them vilifying him.

My thoughts too. :D

Assume the brace position, Liam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Just another actor who thinks they're super intellectually intelligent and that if they say something people will consider it as such, reality is that without a script they haven't really go a clue about real life and what's acceptable and what's not.
    Mindless killing is acceptable in action moves, but real life is somewhat more sobering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

strandroad wrote: »
    If it was a white man would he look to punch any white man too?

Not sure why he even admits to it, we all have moments of stupidity but his logic was particularly flawed.

I don't imagine there was too many black guys walking around n. Ireland when this happened, nor were people as woke as they like to think of themselves nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Sorry Liam, you're on your own on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think a lot of the permanently outraged won't understand what Liam Neeson is saying.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    In context the comment makes sense, considering that he is trying to make a point about the craziness of his thinking in those moments; he's not boasting about it.

But, he should have been wise to the fact that the qoute would surely be taken out of context.

I reckon celebs must grow weary of watching what they say all the time, seeing as pretty much anything can be taken out of context. He might have just thought “Fück it, I’m saying it”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Queue the snowflakes....

If you must parrot American political phraseology at least know what the term means :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

Your Face wrote:
    I think a lot of the permanently outraged won't understand what Liam Neeson is saying.

Won't understand ? , They won't even read the article .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Where da white wimmin at?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

oh for goodness sake. Does it not occur to anyone that he made those comments while promoting a new movie. I would say the entire thing was made up for the headlines ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

I reckon celebs must grow weary of watching what they say all the time, seeing as pretty much anything can be taken out of context. He might have just thought “Fück it, I’m saying it”.

What part of this is out of context.

"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody - I'm ashamed to say that - and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some black b*****d would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

Its great he had a change of heart and is ashamed of it, there are probably loads of lads in jail with the same thought process now about their crimes.
    Maybe all that separates Neeson from that is the fact that no one aggressively approached him.
    Either that or he's just talking s***e to promote his movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

The perpetually outraged can be outraged..seems you're not allowed say anything these days if you're a white,straight man.
    Well he said it and good for him..the millennial pussies can cry tears of impotent rage all they want..they're all unemployed wasters anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

soups05 wrote: »
    oh for goodness sake. Does it not occur to anyone that he made those comments while promoting a new movie. I would say the entire thing was made up for the headlines ffs.

Not to many actors would be willing to make themselves a target of abuse to promote a film. I imagine Liam can put his feet up now and watch his popularity utterly tank, maybe even the occasional small scale boycott of his work and enjoy people shouting at him in the street. The pay would want to be pretty exceptional to include all that in your promotional sideline contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The fact that he asked what colour the perp's skin was in telling. Regardless of the answer, he asked and made a choice to go out (every night for a week) with the intention of assaulting possibly murdering any man of that race who caused trouble. Reagrdless of what the victim's answer was, his intentions were based on race. He could have gone out looking to assault any man (which still would have been wrong) but he chose to focus on race. Another big issue is that the lesson he took from the experience (which he clearly regrets) is that revenge is wrong and pointless, however he doesn't express any specific regret about the fact he was targeting only people of a certain race.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

.jpg?f=16x9&h=576&w=1024&$p$f$h$w=a4c2c21

I told him that photo would come back to haunt him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,417 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

"Hi Mel, it's Liam..."

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The fact that he asked what colour the perp's skin was in telling. Regardless of the answer, he asked and made a choice to go out (every night for a week) with the intention of assaulting possibly murdering anyone of that race. Reagrdless of what the victim's answer was, his intentions were based on race. He could have gone out looking to assault any man (which still would have been wrong) but he chose to focus on race. Another big issue is that the lesson he took from the experience (which he clearly regrets) is that revenge is wrong and pointless, however he doesn't express any specific regret about the fact he was targeting only people of a certain race.

I think a lot of that is to do with the mentality in northern Ireland at the time. Someone from a group did something wrong and the reaction was to take it out on any member of that group, even if they'd nothing to do with it. He clearly knows it was wrong and has expressed regret. He used air quotes around "black bastard" to show that was his thinking at the time and that he is deeply ashamed of that. What more do people want?

Nothing happened in the end, no one knows if he would actually have hurt or murdered anyone even if given the chance ffs. But he thought about it so I guess that's a crime nowadays

Also I'm sure that a description of a rapist, including their race is relevant to finding them. Unless you dont want victims to mention if the assailant is non white because that's racist?

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

I think we can all agree that the rapist deserves a slow miserable death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

The fact that he asked what colour the perp's skin was in telling. Regardless of the answer, he asked and made a choice to go out (every night for a week) with the intention of assaulting possibly murdering any man of that race who caused trouble. Reagrdless of what the victim's answer was, his intentions were based on race. He could have gone out looking to assault any man (which still would have been wrong) but he chose to focus on race. Another big issue is that the lesson he took from the experience (which he clearly regrets) is that revenge is wrong and pointless, however he doesn't express any specific regret about the fact he was targeting only people of a certain race.

Except he didn't ask what colour the perp was?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I think a lot of that is to do with the mentality in northern Ireland at the time. Someone from a group did something wrong and the reaction was to take it out on any member of that group, even if they'd nothing to do with it. He clearly knows it was wrong and has expressed regret. He used air quotes around "black bastard" to show that was his thinking at the time and that he is deeply ashamed of that. What more do people want?

Nothing happened in the end, no one knows if he would actually have hurt or murdered anyone even if given the chance ffs. But he thought about it so I guess that's a crime nowadays

No one said it was a crime but it's an outrageous way of thinking and it shouldn't be normalised. He's admitted it was horrible, which it was but I get the impression that he's talking about his intentions and not the racism behind those intentions. He could have gone out with the intention of assaulting a white man or an Asian man, it would still be racist because he's targeting an innocent man for the crime of someone who happens to share a skin tone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

He was being specific.
    It was a black man that did the deed so he was looking for a black man to avenge himself on.
    It's the same logic the Black Panthers,Nation of Islam,Black Lives Matter and various black racist groups use to justify attacks on white people..helped in their endeavor by the Lilly-white social justice warriors and their collective middle class guilt.

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

He was being specific.
    It was a black man that did the deed so he was looking for a black man to avenge himself on.
    It's the same logic the Black Panthers,Nation of Islam,Black Lives Matter and various black racist groups use to justify attacks on white people..helped in their endeavor by the Lilly-white social justice warriors and their collective middle class guilt.

Eldrige Cleaver boasted about raping white women and yet liberal fools worship him as some kind of freedom fighter.

BBFAN wrote: »

Except he didn't ask what colour the perp was?

“But my immediate reaction was, I asked, did she know who it was? No. What color were they? She said it was a black person."

Edward M wrote: »
    What part of this is out of context.

"I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I'd be approached by somebody - I'm ashamed to say that - and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some black b*****d would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him."

Its great he had a change of heart and is ashamed of it, there are probably loads of lads in jail with the same thought process now about their crimes.
    Maybe all that separates Neeson from that is the fact that no one aggressively approached him.
    Either that or he's just talking s***e to promote his movie.

In this case, it was more Sky really highlighting the ‘black person’ bit. Gotta get those precious clicks!

No one said it was a crime but it's an outrageous way of thinking and it shouldn't be normalised. He's admitted it was horrible, which it was but I get the impression that he's talking about his intentions and not the racism behind those intentions. He could have gone out with the intention of assaulting a white man or an Asian man, it would still be racist because he's targeting an innocent man for the crime of someone who happens to share a skin tone.

Like it or not though, that was the mentality in northern Ireland at the time. How many innocent Catholics or Protestants were punished for crimes that they had no involvement in?

One person talking about an experience many years ago is not "normalising" it. Attitudes have changed nowadays and neeson freely admits he was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

“But my immediate reaction was, I asked, did she know who it was? No. What color were they? She said it was a black person."

Okay, apologies, he did say that. That is a bit weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Like it or not though, that was the mentality in northern Ireland at the time. How many innocent Catholics or Protestants were punished for crimes that they had no involvement in?

One person talking about an experience many years ago is not "normalising" it. Attitudes have changed nowadays and neeson freely admits he was wrong.

You’re wrong. Best to go twitter, the perfect human specimens there will give you instructions to get woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Some man for admitting to feeling that way (even if it was at some time in the past) but then Neeson has always been someone who's never been afraid to say somethiing controversial. Last time on TTLS he said that he felt the metoo movement was turning into a witch hunt. Largely on the back of the accusations against Dustin Hoffman.

Anyway, here's the audio of these recent comments:

https://twitter.com/actaruspro/status/1092525834450202629

In this case, it was more Sky really highlighting the ‘black person’ bit. Gotta get those precious clicks!

The actor shared the previously undisclosed story with The Independent during a press junket for his new film, Cold Pursuit, admitting that he is now “ashamed” of his past “awful” behaviour.

“I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I’d be approached by somebody. I’m ashamed to say that, and I did it for maybe a week – hoping some [Neeson gestures air quotes with his fingers] ‘black bastard’ would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him.”

“It was horrible, horrible, when I think back, that I did that,” he said. “And I’ve never admitted that, and I’m saying it to a journalist. God forbid.”

This is the original article. Slightly different take on it than what was quoted previously

So, guy did something bad in the past, admits it and is ashamed by it now. What do people want to happen? Unless you go back in time to find the Liam neeson who thought that behaviour was acceptable there's no point now is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Advertisement