Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liam Neeson has landed himself in a spot of trouble

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

In this case, it was more Sky really highlighting the ‘black person’ bit. Gotta get those precious clicks!

Well it was in quotes so I'd say it's accurate, the black person bit wasn't "person" either.
    Anyway, I won't dwell on it any longer, I don't think he should have said it, but can't wait for the movie, I like his good old action films.
    If its publicity for the film he was looking for, not sure he should have worded it the way he did is all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Edward M wrote: »
    Well it was in quotes so I'd say it's accurate, the black person bit wasn't "person" either.
    Anyway, I won't dwell on it any longer, I don't think he should have said it, but can't wait for the movie, I like his good old action films.
    If its publicity for the film he was looking for, not sure he should have worded it the way he did is all really.
    “I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I’d be approached by somebody. I’m ashamed to say that, and I did it for maybe a week – hoping some [Neeson gestures air quotes with his fingers] ‘black bastard’ would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could kill him.”

He used air quotes to indicate that was his thinking at the time. He knows it was wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

He was being specific.

He was being specific by wanting to attack ANY man who happened to have the same skin colour as one rapist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

He was speaking at the heat of a moment about someone he was close to was raped people need to calm the **** down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well the main thing is that it was years ago and he recognises how bad it was but still.. even leaving out the race part, anyone who goes out looking to start a fight with an essentially innocent person so you can murder them is mental. It's not even revenge in this case, it's just murder fuelled by impotent rage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Mutant z wrote: »
    He was speaking at the heat of a moment about someone he was close to was raped people need to calm the **** down.

He was in the heat of the moment for maybe a week with a cosh in his pocket?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Like it or not though, that was the mentality in northern Ireland at the time. How many innocent Catholics or Protestants were punished for crimes that they had no involvement in?

One person talking about an experience many years ago is not "normalising" it. Attitudes have changed nowadays and neeson freely admits he was wrong.

But you yourself are normalising it within in the context of the time and where he from. People are normalising it now by say saying things like "queue the snowflakes". The fact that a grown man thought (and I am using the past tense) it was appropriate to do what Liam did is insane. To want revenge on the individual is normal, to want revenge on their anyone sharing their ethnicity is racist. I'm not saying Liam IS a racist and I'm not saying hes not sorry but I it was a stupid story to tell in a press tour and I think people are within reason to be outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Coming from the north and having read the headline, I assumed he was talking about a Protestant...:eek:

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

FunLover18 wrote: »

He was being specific.

He was being specific by wanting to attack ANY man who happened to have the same skin colour as one rapist?

I note you're more interested in skin colour than the fact that a woman was raped.
    Are you sure that she wasn't raped BECAUSE she was white?
    A girl I know was attacked by a black taxi driver who repeatedly referred to her as a "white bitch".

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Like it or not though, that was the mentality in northern Ireland at the time. How many innocent Catholics or Protestants were punished for crimes that they had no involvement in?

One person talking about an experience many years ago is not "normalising" it. Attitudes have changed nowadays and neeson freely admits he was wrong.

But you yourself are normalising it within in the context of the time and where he from. People are normalising it now by say saying things like "queue the snowflakes". The fact that a grown man thought (and I am using the past tense) it was appropriate to do what Liam did is insane. To want revenge on the individual is normal, to want revenge on their anyone sharing their ethnicity is racist. I'm not saying Liam IS a racist and I'm not saying hes not sorry but I it was a stupid story to tell in a press tour and I think people are within reason to be outraged.

Oooh he was RACIST..a terrible crime..far worse than rape in your twisted mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I note you're more interested in skin colour than the fact that a woman was raped.
    A girl I know was attacked by a black taxi driver who repeatedly referred to her as a "white bitch".

What's that got to do with anything really?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

Don’t think it’s being normilised just giving context. As for his actions I think I’d feel the same someone being raped is monsterous and to want to kill someone who raped someone close not unimaginable as for him being black that’s all he knew what I took from it was he was looking for the rapist and I a hash assumed if omeone approached him aggressively who was black he taught there might be a chance that’s was the rapist if I was a guy with red hair who was the rapist and he did the executed same thing we wouldn’t be talking about this

Arghus wrote: »

What's that got to do with anything really?

Well since you mention it she hates all black taxi drivers as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Well the main thing is that it was years ago and he recognises how bad it was but still.. even leaving out the race part, anyone who goes out looking to start a fight with an essentially innocent person so you can murder them is mental. It's not even revenge in this case, it's just murder fuelled by impotent rage

Would that kind of mindset be unusual in Northern Ireland back in the 70s?
    I think it's admirable that he managed to overcome such a troubling mindset and that he is not afraid to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

But it was a common mentality in northern Ireland at the time. And yes, I do think it's insane that a grown man could think that was ok but I do think you have to see it through the lens of the time period. it's a fact that people were targeted for revenge solely because of their ethnicity or religion, that's not normalising it in hindsight, it's acknowledging the reality at the time

Thankfully things have moved on since then and people are able to acknowledge the mistakes of the past, both on a personal and societal level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

He said he was waiting for someone to start with him. If someone is going around starting trouble with strangers they're not exactly innocent. They may be the wrong person to seek revenge on but they'd still be a scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

He said he was waiting for someone to start with him. If someone is going around starting trouble with strangers they're not exactly innocent. They may be the wrong person to seek revenge on but they'd still be a scumbag.

The issue people have is he was looking to provoke a "black bastard" and not just anyone. Also the fact that he had intended to murder someone for being confrontational.
    Again I must say the vast majority of people online are ignoring the fact that he regrets it and he know how wrong it was.

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

Were this a black man wanting revenge on whites then it wouldn't even make the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Were this a black man wanting revenge on whites then it wouldn't even make the news.

I think the fact he's a Hollywood star is probably the reason it's in the news.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I think the fact he's a Hollywood star is probably the reason it's in the news.

If Idris Elba said he wanted to kill a white bastard because someone he cared for was raped it would barely make the news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Queue the snowflakes....

Cue the pedants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Ah it would though. Stop talking ****e now. :rolleyes:

If Idris Elba said he wanted to kill a white bastard because someone he cared for was raped it would barely make the news.

Of course it would, don't be so ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Fair play to Liam, he's a good man.
    A man of principal.
    On of my favourite actor's, a real man.
    Stands up and says it as it is.
    Empathic and manly about it.

He expressed his freedom of speech.
    But yet the soy boys still are outraged about it.

Pussies

Muckka wrote: »
    Fair play to Liam, he's a good man.
    A man of principal.
    On of my favourite actor's, a real man.
    Stands up and says it as it is.
    Empathic and manly about it.

He expressed his freedom of speech.
    But yet the soy boys still are outraged about it.

Pussies

I'd say you're really disappointed that no-one is outraged. :rolleyes:

Actually embarrassed for you. :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

BBFAN wrote: »
    I'd say you're really disappointed that no-one is outraged. :rolleyes:

Actually embarrassed for you. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Tell "actually" it's ok I don't mind him or her feeling embarrassed for me....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

He was young and angry and traumatised at the time. He went a bit mad, thought some horrible things and acted a bit stupidly for a short period of time. This was 40 years ago and he admitted that his thoughts at the time were rage-fuelled and wrong and that he regretted it.

This whole episode is an absolute non-event but the woke Twitter lynch mob has geared up now so that’s that. Neeson must be flagellated in public and people must trip over themselves to be seen publicly putting the boot in to show how right on they are.

All context and perspective goes out the window and on we go until the next poor bastard misspeaks or says something taboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Except it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Big deal about not much.

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote: »
    Of course it would, don't be so ridiculous.

Not a ****ing chance it would.

Advertisement