Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terminally ill British girl wins right to freeze her body

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

The judge specifically said this was not about cryogenics or the likelihood of this girl being brought back to life. It was about giving this young woman the right to have her body disposed of as she requested.

There's a very interesting legal precedent. There was a thread about a dying person being able to choose their type of funeral and bring over ruled after death by relatives. Maybe things have moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Edups wrote: »
    When you've died you're dead. I completely agree her father was against it, we don't spend 37k to preserve ourselves, No one wants to die either. But everyone gets to. That's how life works. We don't get to turn off dying because we are afraid. Doesn't make a difference what age you are.

Nice, why don't you go find a 14 year old dying of cancer and say that to them?

And what the f$%k is 37k if your child is dying, and there's nothing you can do about it only raise 37k to offer her some peace at the end?
    37k is nothing when it's your child, unless your this dad^^ of course and try block it ?
    Why would he do that? Because 37k??

Like someone said above a 14 year old dying of cancer can have whatever she wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Edups

Lackey wrote: »

And what the f$%k is 37k if your child is dying, and there's nothing you can do about it only raise 37k to offer her some peace at the end?
    37k is nothing when it's your child, unless your this dad^^ of course and try block it ?

Like someone said above a 14 year old dying of cancer can have whatever she wants.

You seem fixed on the cancer, if she was dying of something else would it make a difference?

Her father didn't agree because it's bull****. Why would he care what it costs when he didn't pay?

You seem fixed on the cancer, if she was dying of something else would it make a difference?

No it would not.
    If it was your child dying, and this is what they wanted would it make a difference?

And her father just had to drag the girl through court over her last months to prove that didn't he?
    At least now he can say to himself 'I made my point'

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

For those who believe that we are actually 'beings' or souls that just inhabit a 'robot' for a determined life-span, what happens on the re-awakening ?

Does the original soul return or is a new soul allocated to 'robot' MK2 ?

No it would not.
    If it was your child dying, and this is what they wanted would it make a difference?

And her father just had to drag the girl through court over her last months to prove that didn't he?
    At least now he can say to himself 'I made my point'

No it would not make a difference. There would be no cryogenic storage unless it was proven to work.

No it would not make a difference. There would be no cryogenic storage unless it was proven to work

To me it's not about wether it would work or not,
    More that there's nothing I wouldn't do, and if that's what the child wanted, that's what they'd get.

But I guess we are just wired differently so I'll agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

What are you on about? I said if she was frozen while still alive so again, I did not say she died from freezing.

How many people have been unfrozen and brought back to life?

There's a doctor in Japan (He's american) who believes that death shouldn't be final. He has a case of a woman who came in after an accident. The damage was too extensive and she died. So he lowered the body temperature. They kept working on the body. When they had repaired the worst damage they raised the temperature and revived her. It was hours later.

The woman he revived later went on to get married and become a mother. Remember she was dead for hours.

The fact is that death doesn't have to be the end. Unfortunately we live in a world where it is. Someone dies and we just move on.

At the moment we can't cryogenicly freeze someone and revive them. We can do the first part but not the second. It may be that we won't be able to revive someone who has been frozen using todays procedures but we definitely won't be able to revive someone who's dead and buried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

If you believe that if you could somehow create an exact facsimile of your brain, down to the last neuron, that'd it would be you with your personality and memories then it's not so far-fetched. 3-D organic printing. Who knows it could be only 50 years down the line. If you'd told my father as a kid what the world would be like in 50 years he probably couldn't even have grasped the ideas. Same as us today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Very sad situation.

There's a few facts about this case
    Before I start "The definition of a fact is something that is true or something that has occurred or has been proven correct"

The girl is dead. There's no argument to the countray.
    After a couple of minutes of oxygen starvation the brain either becomes damaged or dies. This girls brain is currently dead.

There may well be no cure for cancer only ever improving outcomes.

The idea that someone in the future will be able to defrost this girl, give her an injection and she'll be running around probably isn't realistic at any time in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

What tactic you using AMC? Your hungarian DMC is savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Joshua J wrote: »
    If you believe that if you could somehow create an exact facsimile of your brain, down to the last neuron, that'd it would be you with your personality and memories then it's not so far-fetched. 3-D organic printing. Who knows it could be only 50 years down the line. If you'd told my father as a kid what the world would be like in 50 years he probably couldn't even have grasped the ideas. Same as us today.

Cloning and reproduction rather than revival of the original material raises the other issue, though.... would you be 'you'?

The new creation could be a perfect clone of you that retains all your memories and for all intents and purposes it IS the person that was suspended - but nonetheless be a different consciousness and the original 'you' would remain both dead and unrevived.

That's a real mind melt to think about.

Cloning and reproduction rather than revival of the original material raises the other issue, though.... would you be 'you'?

The new creation could be a perfect clone of you that retains all your memories and for all intents and purposes it IS the person that was suspended - but nonetheless be a different consciousness and the original 'you' would remain both dead and unrevived.

This is the problem with these kind of discussions. People are trying to guess what will come for humanity in hundred and even thousands of years. During this process people leave behind reality and it's a free for all for any science fiction fan.

The way cloning currently works is it can create a genetic replica of the life form it's based on.
    That's where the similarities end.
    The closest human example is an identical set of twins. They would be identical genitically but in now way are they the same person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Yep it reminds me of the film The Prestige. We know too little about consciousness and the human brain/memory to even guess what the outcomes would be. Personally I see no issue with getting frozen, sure what do you have to lose if you don't believe in an afterlife?.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

37k is a trivial amount of money these days?

Grayson wrote: »
    There's a doctor in Japan (He's american) who believes that death shouldn't be final. He has a case of a woman who came in after an accident. The damage was too extensive and she died. So he lowered the body temperature. They kept working on the body. When they had repaired the worst damage they raised the temperature and revived her. It was hours later.

The woman he revived later went on to get married and become a mother. Remember she was dead for hours.

The fact is that death doesn't have to be the end. Unfortunately we live in a world where it is. Someone dies and we just move on.

At the moment we can't cryogenicly freeze someone and revive them. We can do the first part but not the second. It may be that we won't be able to revive someone who has been frozen using todays procedures but we definitely won't be able to revive someone who's dead and buried.

I think this is the case you are thinking about and it's a bit different from how you tell it.
    She was extremely lucky rather than some marvel of medical science.

"In a remarkable 2011 case, a woman in Japan, intent on committing suicide, wandered into a forest and overdosed on pills. The next morning, a passerby found her. When emergency personnel arrived, her body temperature was 20C. She had no pulse and was not breathing. Efforts to shock her heart into action failed, but rather than send her to the morgue, doctors connected her to an extra-corporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) machine – a device that acts as an artificial lung and heart, and is a standard of care in Japan – and left her to circulate.
    Several hours into the procedure, her heart fluttered back to life. The woods’ cool temperature, it turned out, had prevented the woman’s cells from breaking down as quickly as they would have in a warmer environment, allowing her to lay dead in the forest for around four hours, plus survive an additional six hours between the time the passerby called the ambulance and the time her heart began beating again. Three weeks later, she left the hospital, and today she is happily married and recently delivered a baby. “If one of our [emergency medical service] crews found that young girl, she would have just been declared dead,” Parnia says."

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

It is if you're dead

When you have cancer apparently it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Fair play to her.
    Great attitude.

I had no idea it was so cheap to do this. 30 grand or so is nothing. Makes you wonder why more people don't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Fair play to her.
    Great attitude.

I had no idea it was so cheap to do this. 30 grand or so is nothing. Makes you wonder why more people don't do it.

Fair play my arse.
    30k should have been given to the hospital who cared for her to help improve facilities or to cancer research uk...then it wouldn't have been wasted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

In the Quadrillion to one chance that they ever do:

1) Maintain the bodies in a decent shape for several hundred years, surviving wars, bad weather, power cuts, accidents etc.

2) Develop the technology to resurrect the entire life, personality and memories of someone who has been dead and frozen for several hundred years, as well as cure whatever originally killed them.

3) Bother to spend the (presumably vast) expense on resurrecting the various individuals who have frozen themselves.

I find it a bit disconcerting that the only people they will have as a "window" to the 20th/21st century will be the type of person who freezes themselves.

I just think that anyone who actually does that is at least a slight bit unhinged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I think resorting to the last practical solution to your medical situation is a perfectly sensible move if you can afford it. Why on earth should you just give up and let your body rot? There is a very good chance that it won't work: maybe the freezing will do too much damage; maybe your body will be dumped in ten years; maybe they'll never bother trying to fix you - but for me, the idea of waking up three hundred years from now and getting to try a new life in an advanced society is fantastic, especially compared to the alternative.

Vast institutions have survived millennia because of people shaking beads, talking to themselves, and expecting to go to magic rainbow land after their brain rots. As much as the odds are against such a wager, at least it is still grounded in the real world and what might later be physically possible, rather than delusional nonsense.

The amount of people in this thread who think of a single potential speed bump to the success of the process and off-handedly dismiss the entire idea as absurd is depressing. How many of you like to imagine granny has gone to heaven, I wonder?

I applaud this young lady and I certainly would like to shake her hand on the moon base one day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I have two little girls. After demanding that health professionals take any and all parts of me that might give either of them a glimmer of hope for the future, I would move mountains and tell them whatever they needed to hear for a peaceful passing - nomatter how impossible or untrue it was. I don't care how long I'd have to live with that lie because at least I'd get to live.
    My dad's full funeral expenses weren't too far off the price this girl's family paid. To fork out a bit extra on what we had to pay anyway to maybe have him walk me up the aisle two months ago or get to meet his grandchildren... well let's just say I wouldn't have to be asked twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I have two little girls. After demanding that health professionals take any and all parts of me that might give either of them a glimmer of hope for the future, I would move mountains and tell them whatever they needed to hear for a peaceful passing - nomatter how impossible or untrue it was. I don't care how long I'd have to live with that lie because at least I'd get to live.
    My dad's full funeral expenses weren't too far off the price this girl's family paid. To fork out a bit extra on what we had to pay anyway to maybe have him walk me up the aisle two months ago or get to meet his grandchildren... well let's just say I wouldn't have to be asked twice.

Would you not have considered having him cryogenically frozen, because by the time they have the ability to thaw out and reboot frozen heads, its hardly going to matter if the head came from a young cancer sufferer or someone who died of any of the normal age related diseases.

Fair play to her.
    Great attitude.

30 grand in Euro/pound is a lot of people's gross yearly income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Phoebas wrote: »
    Would you not have considered having him cryogenically frozen, because by the time they have the ability to thaw out and reboot frozen heads, its hardly going to matter if the head came from a young cancer sufferer or someone who died of any of the normal age related diseases.

It wasn't something that occured to us, but given he died of massive brain hemorrhages (plural), I don't think it would have been very successful :o Nevertheless, with the minute difference in costs between funerals and being frozen, I can understand why people would consider it. As someone said earlier, worst case scenario its another way to dispose of a body as per dying person's wishes. Coming from someone with a hugely scientific background and being a huge skeptic, I feel much differently about her choices and mother's determination to see her daughter's wishes fulfilled than I might have done 7 years ago when I hadn't lost anyone important to me or had kids.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It wasn't something that occured to us, but given he died of massive brain hemorrhages (plural), I don't think it would have been very successful :o Nevertheless, with the minute difference in costs between funerals and being frozen, I can understand why people would consider it. As someone said earlier, worst case scenario its another way to dispose of a body as per dying person's wishes. Coming from someone with a hugely scientific background and being a huge skeptic, I feel much differently about her choices and mother's determination to see her daughter's wishes fulfilled than I might have done 7 years ago when I hadn't lost anyone important to me or had kids.

Worst case scenario is that you remain in a weird bereavement process ad infinitum, where your loved one is neither alive or dead, and then when the cryogenics company put the charges up or you reach the end of the contract, you feel obliged to keep paying because otherwise you are 'killing' your loved one for the sake of an additional few thousand dollars.

I'd have serious reservations about these companies who are selling technology which is nowhere near ready for primetime to people who are at their most vulnerable.

Worst case scenario is that you remain in a weird bereavement process ad infinitum, where your loved one is neither alive or dead, and then when the cryogenics company put the charges up or you reach the end of the contract, you feel obliged to keep paying because otherwise you are 'killing' your loved one for the sake of an additional few thousand dollars.

I'd have serious reservations about these companies who are selling technology which is nowhere near ready for primetime to people who are at their most vulnerable.

There is no on-going fee for someone who is stored already; the dead owe you nothing. You pay a flat fee up front upon death, and I believe there are dues while you are alive, and that fee plus accumulated interest is all that is needed to maintain the body in perpetuity. It is a very robust and low-tech system: they just top up the container with a tiny bit of liquid nitrogen now and then.

I don't understand why people are so happy to assume the worst and just act as though their assumptions are fact. Do some reading, there is no profiteering taking place here. These foundations are run by idealists, futurists, and humanists.

Zillah wrote: »
    These foundations are run by idealists, futurists, and humanists. cowboys

Mmmmm hmmmmm

Zillah wrote: »
    There is no on-going fee for someone who is stored already; the dead owe you nothing. You pay a flat fee up front upon death, and I believe there are dues while you are alive, and that fee plus accumulated interest is all that is needed to maintain the body in perpetuity. It is a very robust and low-tech system: they just top up the container with a tiny bit of liquid nitrogen now and then.

I don't understand why people are so happy to assume the worst and just act as though their assumptions are fact. Do some reading, there is no profiteering taking place here. These foundations are run by idealists, futurists, and humanists.

I have read the website of the facility this 14 year old has gone to and they mention a number of additional fees on top of heat the call their 'minimum fee'. We can assume that the reported 37k that has been paid covers the freezing procedure and storage, but it isn't at all clear how long freezing is guaranteed for.
    If the technology to revive her isn't available for 2,000 years, will the company pick up the tab for keeping her frozen until then, and if so, what financial mechanisms have they put in place to ensure this? These questions aren't answered.

As I've said before, I don't doubt their good motives, but they are selling vapourware here, so I'd be very sceptical about their ability to follow through on delivering anything they are selling.

• Advertisement

I have read the website of the facility this 14 year old has gone to and they mention a number of additional fees on top of heat the call their 'minimum fee'. We can assume that the reported 37k that has been paid covers the freezing procedure and storage, but it isn't at all clear how long freezing is guaranteed for.

I am familiar with Alcor - where did she go?
    As I've said before, I don't doubt their good motives, but they are selling vapourware here, so I'd be very sceptical about their ability to follow through on delivering anything they are selling.

All they are promising is long term freezing though; the rest is just a "cross your fingers and hope" bonus sort of thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

I suspect this was the little girl's coping mechanism in dealing with the terrible reality. Nothing more.
    So profound and deep, wow did you come up with that your self?

Advertisement