Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminally ill British girl wins right to freeze her body

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Ayuntamiento

When she is brought back to life in say 2029, her ID will obviously say that she is 27 but she will in actuality still be only 14 and so maybe she's just doing all this so that she can legally buy alcohol while she is underage.

Kids today, eh.

Wow I hope you feel good about yourself joking about this dead child.

It's rather selfish to have money blown keeping you frozen indefinitely.

The money has already been raised via a funding campaign. But yes you're right, what a selfish dying 14yr old cancer victim she was...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Assuming they made it work and brought her back some time in the future, all her family and friends would be gone and she would know very little about the world she was currently in.

Not a great outcome any way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

A 14 year old dying of cancer can have anything she wants and if that bit of hope made things easier for her well so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

None of this is about the likelihood of cryogenics actually working (my personal opinion is that she'll never be revived). It's about the fact that this terrified 14yr old girl couldn't accept that her one shot at life was over. She was quoted as saying that she couldn't accept the idea of her body being buried beneath the ground. I'm more than double her age and I can't accept the idea of myself being buried. Cremated sounds awful too.

If she got any peace from the idea that her body would be preserved then more power to her.

Really? I kinda like the idea of being cremated. We're all made of the same stuff as all around us anyway, and sure you won't care you'll be dead.

I'd say I will, definitely not getting buried anyway with a weathered old grave for relatives to visit intermittently before they forget or die off, given they even believe your soul's gone off to sit on a cloud playing the harp or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

247music wrote: »
    Im confused... If shes dead then what is freezing her body going to do for her?

Exactly.

Cryogenics as seen in science fiction is the freezing of LIVE bodies to be awakened at some future date, even decades later.

In the case of incurable diseases the idea is to freeze a LIVE person with the disease and awakens them in the future when a cure has been found.

In this case in the news today, the girl is DEAD. So in her case for this to work, not only would the cryogentics side of it have work , something that has never been achieved before, but also the she is faced with the bigger problem of being brought BACK TO LIFE, which arguably is a ever more difficult problem than getting the cryogenics part of it to work !!!!

So I'm watching news reports on this today and I'm thinking is it April 1st, as no one in the news discussion ever brought up the subject of bringing a dead body back to life, instead, just talking about the cryogenics part of it.

Additionally in the news today there is a separate story about a guy who thinks he can he can perform a head transplant. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3949888/Controversial-surgeon-world-s-human-HEAD-transplant-reveals-virtual-reality-help-prepare-patients.html

Nuts !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Before next ascendance towards the Pleiades (M45 cluster) in 2086...

...As an 'infinite spirit consciousness' transcending through this temporary (but delightful) light-body vessel, in this galactic orion-arm region, onboard the Gaia rock plane 'earth', one would rather not be stuck in the deep zero-point freeze for any prolonged time, thanks all the same, to whoever will still around in seventy earth years time.

diograis wrote: »
    Really? I kinda like the idea of being cremated. We're all made of the same stuff as all around us anyway, and sure you won't care you'll be dead.

I'd say I will, definitely not getting buried anyway with a weathered old grave for relatives to visit intermittently before they forget or die off, given they even believe your soul's gone off to sit on a cloud playing the harp or whatever.

I'd be more likely to choose cremation over burial. I HATE HATE HATE the idea of being cremated but I like the idea of my remains being more mobile. I'd love to be scattered in my favourite places and for those who love me to keep a bit of me. I feel like you're more free after cremation than you are after burial.
    However this girl made her decision based on the same mad logic that you and I are making ours! The difference is that you and I will always have our wishes respected. This poor girl had to fight for that same right because of her age...??

learn_more wrote: »
    Exactly.

Cryogenics as seen in science fiction is the freezing of LIVE bodies to be awakened at some future date, even decades later.

In the case of incurable diseases the idea is to freeze a LIVE person with the disease and awakens them in the future when a cure has been found.

In this case in the news today, the girl is DEAD. So in her case for this to work, not only would the cryogentics side of it have work , something that has never been achieved before, but also the she is faced with the bigger problem of being brought BACK TO LIFE, which arguably is a ever more difficult problem than getting the cryogenics part of it to work !!!!

So I'm watching news reports on this today and I'm thinking is it April 1st, as no one in the news discussion ever brought up the subject of bringing a dead body back to life, instead, just talking about the cryogenics part of it.

Additionally in the news today there is a separate story about a guy who thinks he can he can perform a head transplant. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3949888/Controversial-surgeon-world-s-human-HEAD-transplant-reveals-virtual-reality-help-prepare-patients.html

Nuts !
    The judge specifically said this was not about cryogenics or the likelihood of this girl being brought back to life. It was about giving this young woman the right to have her body disposed of as she requested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Man breaking about it now LIVE on Channel 4 news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I don't think it's nuts at all. A young girl who had her life cruelly snatched away before it had even really begun. Cryogenics offers no guarantees and never pretended to - even Alcor themselves are keen to stress that they can offer zero guarantees on future revival. But it's about potential and possabilities and looking to the future. Not hard to understand why a 14 year old wished to be cryogenically stored - what had she to lose? Absolutely nothing, but she died with a little hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I don't think this little girl will ever be alive again, she is dead and that is it.

However if that idea of freezing her self and coming back - if that was a comfort to her, then fair enough.
    I would do almost anything for a dying person I cared about, even if they wanted frozen (and I think thats a pile of crap).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I agree with the sentiment for the sake of the little girl's last days but why are people actually discussing it like it could happen?

She's dead. Even if they froze her while she was still alive and a cure for her cancer was found, she would still be dead as freezing her solid would like... you know... kill her.
    There's no cure for death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

A Journal comment on this actually made me laugh;

'your brain cells are dead, at best you'll come back as a Daily Mail reader.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Do thawed frozen raspberries come back as vibrant fresh looking raspberries - no, they come back as raspberry sludge.

Do thawed frozen raspberries come back as vibrant fresh looking raspberries - no, they come back as raspberry sludge.

'Freezing' in Cryogenics is in no way comparable to conventional freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The one thing that occours to me is that when and (if) they revive you in one hundred or one thousand years time, you will be on your tod. No family, no loved ones, no next of kin, no friends . . . all dead, long gone and forgotton :(

So although you might wake up with an all curing injection, you will soon discover that anybody & everybody you ever loved is now dead.

Also, (for those of you that believe in your soul), what happens with that? does your soul depart your body when they cryogenically freeze you, or does it stay within you for the duration of the freeze?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

LordSutch wrote: »
    The one thing that occours to me is that when and (if) they revive you in one hundred or one thousand years time, you will be on your tod. No family, no loved ones, no next of kin, no friends . . . all dead, long gone and forgotton :(

So although you might wake up with an all curing injection, you will soon discover that anybody & everybody you ever loved is now dead.

Also, (for those of you that believe in your soul), what happens with that? does your soul depart your body when they cryogenically freeze you, or does it stay within you for the duration of the freeze?

I think she would take the loneliness over the cancer

It's also morbid to consider that if all brain activity is completely suspended, if it could be revived/retrieved or otherwise brought back at a later date, it would be like little to no time had passed to the person, but could be 50, 100 or 200 years into the future. Imagine going to sleep in 2016 and waking up tomorrow to discover it was 2096.

If it can be done with embryos, why not with bodies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

I think she would take the loneliness over the cancer

Death (in itself) is a terrifying prospect but also, I assume for most people, its the thought of when you die you won't see your loved ones again (unless you are religious and believe in an afterlife).

So what happens when you wake up a good few decades or even centuries from now? With everyone you love is dead?

(Again this was a scared 14yr old facing death - I don't judge her actions)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

She's dead. Even if they froze her while she was still alive and a cure for her cancer was found, she would still be dead as freezing her solid would like... you know... kill her.

It's a disputed point whether she is dead/permanently dead.
    Some argue that with no tissue damage, thawed and heart/life systems restarted that she will be up and foxtrotting around the place.

I know somebody who was cryogenically frozen 7 years ago....he's still dead and his family footing the bill......cupid stunt .

i thought of the Porridge movie reading this now where the prison guard Barraclough was advising Fletcher that he could make something of himself with bit of hard graft and Fletch tells him the story of his mate who saved up to buy himself a small wheelbarra' to pick up newspapers and do you know how much he made?...Nothing and he still owes for the barra! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

A 14-year old girl who died of cancer has been cryogenically frozen in the hope she could be brought back to life in the future after winning a landmark court case shortly before her death, the BBC reported on Friday.

It said the girl was supported in her wish to be preserved by her mother but not by her father.

Cryonics is the practice or technique of deep-freezing the bodies of those who have died of an incurable disease, in the hope of a future cure.

https://www.google.es/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwid0cv68bLQAhWFWxoKHTKNBRkQqUMIJzAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.reuters.com%2Farticle%2Fus-britain-science-girl-idUSKBN13D0QI&usg=AFQjCNFRE9iqCm70iAn5jNlaf_GH65c9rg

I don't see any downsides to this ? Wouldn't it be great to come back and have a look around , what you think AH ? would you do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

If it can be done with embryos, why not with bodies?

The complexity of the organism and the specimens in question not being dead I would imagine.

A very sad situation with no winners at all. I believe the cryogenic process is hookum but harmless in this case seeing the money was there and it gave peace of mind to the girl and the father was an absolute arsewipe to drag his dying child to court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Puts a lot in perspective. It doesn't bear thinking about that prospect to me at 29 let alone being 14. Life can be so cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Venom wrote: »
    The complexity of the organism and the specimens in question not being dead I would imagine.

Seems to be related to the number of cells but the article isn't too explicit(that I noticed). Probably down to how long it takes to freeze. An embryo has about 120 and a human has about 37,200,000,000,000

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-embryos-survive-th/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Venom wrote: »

A very sad situation with no winners at all. I believe the cryogenic process is hookum but harmless in this case seeing the money was there and it gave peace of mind to the girl and the father was an absolute arsewipe to drag his dying child to court

And as a result of his gob****ery, he didn't even get to say goodbye to her.

He was banned from her bedside by the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Remember that film 'Forever Young'?

Mel Gibson was frozen during World War Two as an experiment. His sarcophagus was forgotten about due to a clerical error.

Then he was thawed in the 1990s as a man in his thirties...... he aged at a rapid rate and ended up the correct age (his eighties).

It's a gamble. Worth a try, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

And as a result of his gob****ery, he didn't even get to say goodbye to her.

I doubt he would have gotten to say goodbye anyway since he was refused his requests to see his daughter for the last 8 years and he offered to agree to the cryogenics if he could say goodbye to her after she died.

Advertisement