Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couples dying close together

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭lolie

There was two local 95 year twin sisters who died within two days of each other a few years ago.
    Story about it here.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ireland-s-oldest-known-twins-die-within-days-of-each-other-1.2381326%3fmode=amp

Also 2 brothers only up the road from here died a day after each other over 20 years ago.
    Think both were in their 70's and had heart attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Men seem more likely to die earlier that expected after losing their wives than women after losing their husbands, see:

Men more likely to die after losing their wife, but women carry on as normal - The Telegraph

Men were found to be a third more likely to die after being recently widowed, compared with their normal risk of mortality.
    Women, on the other hand, had no increased chance of dying after their husbands passed away, with researchers suggesting they are likely to be more independent and prepared....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Pretty sure its a well known phenomena. Emotional stress can have a powerful impact on the cardiovascular system, people with anxiety/depression have much shorter life expectancy than general population. At 90 something and losing your one true who youve spent most of your life beside Im sure its too much to bare and you just want it to end. The health of grandad in his 80's has declined markedly since the death of his wife

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

A friend of my mothers dropped dead the day of her husbands funeral just as they were removing the coffin from the house. No big drama or anything , just slumped down and was dead before she hit the floor. Both were in their late 60s' / early 70s' at the time.

Big saving on ham sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

A good friend of mine's g/father was found dead on a couch in the sitting room by his wife who promptly dropped dead on the spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

My granny died 32 years after my grandad. I did always hear that they didn’t get along...

My great grand father died in 1939 and his wife (my great grand mother who I called 'Granny Bed') died in 1983 aged 97. That's 44 years a widow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Edgware wrote: »
    Big saving on ham sandwiches

Aha, Edgeware, I have to admit I smiled. You have a very upbeat attitude to the inevitable.

When I go, I want laughter, not sadness. Assuming anyone turns up.

Back on topic, my father died in his 60's, 20 years ago. My mother is still going strong in her mid eighties.

Elderly neighbour died last year. His wife is still going strong-ish, by which I mean she's got her wits about her, but she is frail and going deaf. Doesn't stop her going (being driven)to the supermarket. She's WELL into her nineties. They were married for about 60 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

My grandad died three months after his wife. Both in their seventies. She was sick for years, he was hale and hearty but absolutely devastated after her. He used to say the loneliness was a killer. He died on her birthday. We like to think he just badly wanted to be with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I knew another woman whose hair turned grey overnight (honest to God) on the death of her husband. But she did live for another twenty years. Lucky for her the stress went to her hair not her heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Vita nova wrote: »
    Men seem more likely to die earlier that expected after losing their wives than women after losing their husbands, see:

Certain Auld fellas who've been married for yrs can't cope without a woman in their lives. They don't know how to care of themselves. Some would struggle to boil an egg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

seamus wrote: »
    These are the other ones that I always find amazing. Couples who get married in their thirties, one dies in their sixties, and the other goes on into their nineties.

Living a whole other lifetime after the death of your partner. It must be very strange. One of my grandads lived to his 80s after my grandmother died in her forties. I never got to talk to him about it though, he was proper old by the time I came along.

This happened my girlfriends grandmother, husband died youngish and she lived to her mid 80's. She never really got over him passing away and wouldn't change anything in the house afterwards. It was a bit like taking a time machine into the past when visiting, some vintage furniture and electronics. She had a radio that was bigger than a CRT TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Well that's what a broken heart is.. emotional stress/trauma.

A friend of mines grandparents died within a day of each other.

The 4 of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I knew another woman whose hair turned grey overnight (honest to God) on the death of her husband. But she did live for another twenty years. Lucky for her the stress went to her hair not her heart.

Its not possible for that to happen. Maybe stress can cause new hair to start growing grey from then on but the hair that is visible and sitting on your head that has already grown is dead protein ,and so it cannot change colour

Advertisement