Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couples dying close together

Options
  • 21-02-2019 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭

I was at the funeral of a lady in in her 90s last month. A good number of people commented at the funeral that her husband wouldn’t live long without her. He was buried yesterday 5 weeks and 3 days after.

I’ve heard over the years of a husband and wife dying close together after that. Is is just a weird coincidence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gael23 wrote:
    I’ve heard over the years of a husband and wife dying close together after that. Is is just a weird coincidence?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

People in their 90's have this peculiar habit of dying. God only knows what the cause of that might be. Coincidence surely?

I hate this 'died of a broken heart' spiel (you mean heart disease?), but there's definitely some truth in the idea that human bodies can physiologically give up on themselves.

I remember when the doctors had done everything they could for my own Dad, who had cancer, and we asked how long he had left. The consultant goes 'anything between 6 weeks and 6 months'. The reason for that fairly wide gap (it is wide if it's your mortality we're talking about) is that some people will mentally give up, and their body somehow shuts down more quickly.

So no, I don't think its a coincidence. It should come as no surprise to anybody that the brain and our physical health are greatly intertwined. People don't die of broken hearts, but things like stress certainly do hasten the onset of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

People don't die of broken hearts, but things like stress certainly do hasten the onset of death.

Well that's what a broken heart is.. emotional stress/trauma.

A friend of mines grandparents died within a day of each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lorelli! wrote: »

Broken heart syndrome.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/broken-heart-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20354617

Lorelli! wrote: »

fair point, but you know what I mean, there's actually a fairly interesting immune response to stress which can cause physical health to deteriorate.

I don't know why, but the expression 'died of a broken heart' slightly bugs me. It's a lot more interesting than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

This often happens in plane crashes, volcanic eruptions, hurricanes and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are many theories about this, and probably all true to a certain extent.

The placebo (and nocebo) effect is a very real thing. The notion of "mind over matter" can be observed in many limited contexts and isn't fully understood. That's not to say that a placebo can cure cancer or regrow a limb, but it can cure chronic pain and sometimes chronic illness. So it follows that the mind can create pain and illness too.

It's also being proven that being happy and comfortable speeds up rehabilitation. Which also follows that someone who is happy and satisfied, will remain healthy for longer. Someone who becomes unhappy and stressed, will likely get ill. And at 90, even a bad cold could finish you off.

People in their late stages, need fairly constant looking after. Not just by someone else, but looking after themselves - eating well, being positive, taking medication, etc etc. If your partner dies, it seems pretty likely that you might let all this slip. You might just say fvck it, what's the point anymore, get out of bed at midday and crack open a bottle of whiskey. Rinse and repeat until you're dead in a month.

On top of that you have the stress. The older body just not being able to cope with the emotional stress, but also the physical stress - the things that you now have to do for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Debbie Reynolds died the day after Carrie Fisher passed away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Can see how they might lose the motivation or will to carry on in an empty house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Very moving

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

In theory after 70 years of marriage you might grow quite fond of your wife

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Several elderly couples died within seconds of each other in Hiroshimo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Edgware wrote: »
    Several elderly couples died within seconds of each other in Hiroshimo

Not cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

My Grandfather passed away a year after my Grandmother.

He was basically lost without her. I was approaching my teens at the time so could sense a bit of the anger and frustration and loneliness in him which as a grown man, now makes even more sense.

He had to live with my aunt because I don't think the man wanted to be alone in the house.

Now my Grandfather was a tough lad who didn't suffer fools gladly but also a gentleman; the general consensus is that he died of a broken heart and I believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

My dads best friend of 50 years died in December.

We waited two weeks before telling my dad (his mind wasnt the best), so told him.
    He died a week later.

My mother is in care and we still havent told her my dad is gone. As same will undoubtedly happen . . we just know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,319 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm aware of two locally one they were married for over 50 years. She was 79 and he was 75. She got cancer and didn't last long with it. He died about ten days later. He said something along the lines of I can see her before he passed away.
    Another couple both late seventies. She passed away and he died at the hotel after the removal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

My husband better mind himself so :mad: I'm not ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

A friend of my mothers dropped dead the day of her husbands funeral just as they were removing the coffin from the house. No big drama or anything , just slumped down and was dead before she hit the floor. Both were in their late 60s' / early 70s' at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This particular couple married later in life but still were together 50 years or so. She had to go into residential care in more recent years due to failing health and he soon joined her in there because he didn’t want to live alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

My great grandfather died within twenty minutes of his brother during the Somme offensive , apparently it was a big battle somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I knew a couple (in their 60s) who died within an hour of each other. The husband took ill while at work and died almost immediately. His daughter was contacted and she went to tell her mother, at home, and found her dead when she arrived at the house, Neither had had any known health issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

My granny died 32 years after my grandad. I did always hear that they didn’t get along...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My granny died 32 years after my grandad. I did always hear that they didn’t get along...
    These are the other ones that I always find amazing. Couples who get married in their thirties, one dies in their sixties, and the other goes on into their nineties.

Living a whole other lifetime after the death of your partner. It must be very strange. One of my grandads lived to his 80s after my grandmother died in her forties. I never got to talk to him about it though, he was proper old by the time I came along.

seamus wrote: »
    These are the other ones that I always find amazing. Couples who get married in their thirties, one dies in their sixties, and the other goes on into their nineties.

Living a whole other lifetime after the death of your partner. It must be very strange. One of my grandads lived to his 80s after my grandmother died in her forties. I never got to talk to him about it though, he was proper old by the time I came along.

It made my granny prematurely elderly at only 58. She couldn’t drive and lived rurally so relied on a lot of people. She wouldn’t entertain moving somewhere more practical or learning to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

seamus wrote: »

It must be a strange feeling. My mother was married for 26 years, when my father died, and was widowed for 37 years. They were a devoted couple and she lamented his loss every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ariadne

It's unlikely that I will live to old age and I sincerely hope that my wife finds someone else to love and be happy with when I'm gone. I'd hate to think of her being alone for the rest of her life.

Succubus_ wrote: »
    It's unlikely that I will live to old age and I sincerely hope that my wife finds someone else to love and be happy with when I'm gone. I'd hate to think of her being alone for the rest of her life.

Ditto and I also want my husband to find love again. The quicker, the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

8 months between my parents death, (there was an age difference of 28 years) that was a coincidence though . However, he went downhill remarkably fast once my mother got sick.

Advertisement