Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Push bikes with an engine

• 18-11-2016 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭

So there's me slumming it on the (push) bike after work returning to home when this lad on a push bike zooms by me.

No peddling, smoke in his mouth and an almighty engine sound coming from it.

Made me jealous, how legal are they? Anyone else seen anybody on 'em?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'd imagine they are popular in Cuba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've seen somebody traveling into Limerick in the mornings on one of these.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

So there's me slumming it on the (push) bike after work returning to home when this lad on a push bike zooms by me.

No peddling, smoke in his mouth and an almighty engine sound coming from it.

Made me jealous, how legal are they? Anyone else seen anybody on 'em?

legal if they cant go over 25kph

had one go by me on monday surprisingly fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

we really need a link to a picture of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Its a "mechanically propelled vehicle" according to law

And so the rozzers might be looking for tax and insurance off ya

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

LordSutch wrote: »
    we really need a link to a picture of one.
    http://dublinchristmasflea.ie/stalls/2015/push-bike-engine/

The wonder of google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

snubbleste wrote: »

And the Tour de France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,659 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

PucaMama wrote: »

Yeah, I was overtaken by one with a petrol engine today heading into the rds. According to strava my average speed was 36kph and yet this lad left me for dust. He only pedalled 3 rotations to start it at the traffic lights and never pedalled again the rest of the way in till he vanished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

snubbleste wrote: »

Ah the new Packard we've been hearing so much about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you can buy electric bikes but it looks like the petrol ones are illegal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

They aint legal regardless of the speed they can do.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They're called motorbikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

I seen a chap stopped by the Garda on the side of the road on one of them ...... Looked like he wasn't going to be finishing his journey on said bike.... I'd love a go of one but wouldn't say they would be the safest method of transport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭westcoast66

So the law is that you need license, tax and insurance for any mechanically propelled vehicle. How would you actually get the above for an electric scooter?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,788 ✭✭✭✭looksee

So the law is that you need license, tax and insurance for any mechanically propelled vehicle. How would you actually get the above for an electric scooter?!

Its the difference between propelled and assisted. You have to pedal the electric bike, you just get assistance from the motor, whereas the petrol ones are propelled. You don't need tax and insurance for the electric ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Good few lads around us have them they work on a 2 stroke engine I think and they can be fitted to any bike I think and you can buy them off ebay or the like I think also I think they are legal but not 100% sure! Just make sure you wear a helmet if you get one!

Electric bikes are legal only if their top speed is 25kmh (most cyclists on racing bikes can go much faster) the motor is a maximum power of 250W and you must be peddling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The engine or motor can only assist propulsion. With an ebike the rider MUST pedal - the bike will not move itself. If the rider pedals he/she gets assistance up to 25km/h - if pedalling stops, assistance stops.

If the bike powers itself via a throttle lever then it's a mechanically propelled vehicle that is liable for motor tax, insurance and licensing (registration) and probably VRT also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have you really never seen or heard of a moped. They are around almost 100 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Loud cnuts of things. One of these yokes on my estate wakes me up most mornings.

Some cyclist can use the horsepower of others!

@magentis yes they are legal look up electric bikes

Have you really never seen or heard of a moped. They are around almost 100 years.
    Mopeds still need a license, used to get a moped license free when you passed the car driving test, I did. My first moped was a 1961 vintage (it wasn't that old back then , in fact it was made after me ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

looksee wrote: »
    Its the difference between propelled and assisted. You have to pedal the electric bike, you just get assistance from the motor, whereas the petrol ones are propelled. You don't need tax and insurance for the electric ones.
    This is true, but I have seen a few around where the pedal assist requirement appears to be modified/disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can't. Segways etc can only be used on private property though its ignored by AGS like most things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Some cyclist can use the horsepower of others!

We used to do this behind the school bus. Crazy speeds reached on the dual carriageway. 3 inches off the back of the bus.

One of my friends went left to make a turn from behind the bus and went straight into a parked car at about 30mph. :)

There is a guy comes out the headford road every morning from Galway on one of these petrol bikes. He seems to have enough problems with it. He'll be grand for a week then it's not working and he's pedalling for a week then he's back at it for a while. They don't seem very reliable. Hrs been pedalling at least a third of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Thread title; Push bikes with an engine

The post you quoted was nothing to do with an electric bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,655 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Not quite there . There's added criteria
    Legal if they can't go over 25kmh and have a max output of 250W and if the engine only works when they are being pedalled.

• Advertisement

Good few lads around us have them they work on a 2 stroke engine I think and they can be fitted to any bike I think and you can buy them off ebay or the like I think also I think they are legal but not 100% sure! Just make sure you wear a helmet if you get one!

No they are not legal

You should look them up.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/si/412/made/en/print

These Regulations do not apply to—
    3.2.c
    (c) cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling, and

A bike with an engine is a moped (or a larger one is a motorbike)

“moped” means a two-wheel vehicle (category L1e) or a three-wheel vehicle (category L2e) with a maximum design speed of not more than 45 km/h and characterised by—

(a) in the case of a two-wheel type, an engine whose:

(i) cylinder capacity does not exceed 50 cm3 in the case of the internal combustion engine type, or

(ii) maximum continuous rated power is no more than 4 kW in the case of an electric motor;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

There's a fella in adverts does a roaring trade in them

http://touch.adverts.ie/for-sale/user-930266/

Saw one last week in Marino - your man was ticking in handy enough. I'd imagine they're illegal.

Could never understand why proper mopeds never took off like you see on the continent - perfect mobility for teenagers, over paying €5,000 or whatever annually to insure a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

browner85 wrote: »
    I seen a chap stopped by the Garda on the side of the road on one of them ...... Looked like he wasn't going to be finishing his journey on said bike.... I'd love a go of one but wouldn't say they would be the safest method of transport

Safer than what they used to be, with the mass of the engine over the front wheel, like a french, 'VéloSoleX', which my grandfather used.. and I had a lot of fun on, in my teens.

Does the legal status of a push bike change if the engine doesn't engage a chain? Working by friction against a wheel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Fella up in Cavan who will convert a bike for ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

We used to call these things Granny Chasers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭gk5000

Few guys using them on the canal greenway between Lucan and town.

Bit of a pain when they pass you - You're left on your regular bike breathing through a trail of nasty 2-stroke engine smoke.

Where is the enforcement?
    Must report them next time I see one on the canal - they can stick to the roads with the rest of the mechanical vehicles if they like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

They're legal for pikeys and scumbags apparently.

ted1 wrote: »

You should look them up.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2005/si/412/made/en/print

These Regulations do not apply to
    3.2.c
    (c) cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kW of which the output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches a speed of 25 km/h, or sooner, if the cyclist stops pedalling, and

A bike with an engine is a moped (or a larger one is a motorbike)

moped means a two-wheel vehicle (category L1e) or a three-wheel vehicle (category L2e) with a maximum design speed of not more than 45 km/h and characterised by

(a) in the case of a two-wheel type, an engine whose:

(i) cylinder capacity does not exceed 50 cm3 in the case of the internal combustion engine type, or

(ii) maximum continuous rated power is no more than 4 kW in the case of an electric motor;

Your first part of the quote says the bikes I'm talking about are legal. They can't go over 25kph.

Your first part of the quote says the bikes I'm talking about are legal. They can't go over 25kph.

Aling with the two other criteria

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

ted1 wrote: »

Anything that meets the definition of a bike you quote - it says the 'these regulations do not apply to'. It says no more than that. What are these regulations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Has anyone actually contacted the authorities on actually taxing etc?
    I know they are illigal, but I doubt it's even possible to licience, tax and insure them in ireland.

Advertisement