Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

trashcan wrote: »
    You mean Brian eh Dobson, with his, eh, inability to eh, verabalise a whole, eh, sentence without , eh, the use of eh to an,eh incredibly annoying, eh, degree.

What has that got to do with the earlier comment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

mgn wrote: »
    Looks like
    McGuinness.
    Carty.
    Ming.
    Walsh.

The tide is gone out on the green wave.Thank F*uck sick listening to them for the past 2 days.

Not according to RTE who say it's likely to be

McGuinness. (FG Bot)
    Walsh. (Gay Rose & FG Bot)
    McHugh. ("omg omg where am I going to live in Brussels !!!! omg omg"
    Ming. (Doper)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nobelium wrote: »
    Not according to RTE who say it's likely to be

McGuinness.
    Walsh.
    McHugh.
    Ming.
    It depends who they are talking to! Nobody really knows yet. It will be 3/5 it seems for the remaining 3 seats.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It depends who they are talking to! Nobody really knows yet. It will be 3/5 it seems for the remaining 3 seats.

The numbered bundles of ballots, waiting for the 10pm deadline, are easy enough to estimate, i'd say RTE are not far off there

The numbered piles of ballots are easy enough to estimate, i'd say RTE are not far off there
    It's the transfers they can't guess at. Outside the guarantee of McGuinness elected in Count 1 the question of who's most transfer-friendly is the mystery. I'd have Walsh and Carthy in a seat and a final scrap that Ming could take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Cant see McHugh getting the transfers needs to get a seat.

It's the transfers they can't guess at. Outside the guarantee of McGuinness elected in Count 1 the question of who's most transfer-friendly is the mystery. I'd have Walsh and Carthy in a seat and a final scrap that Ming could take.

The first preference piles say otherwise, Carthy is not in the running, and he's hardly FG transfer friendly

Cant see McHugh getting the transfers needs to get a seat.
    This is what I wonder. She may be like Casey in that those voting for her will largely do so in the FPVs. She'll get more than him in transfers but will they be enough?

The first preference piles say otherwise, Carthy is not in the running, and he's hardly FG transfer friendly
    Hmm, you predicted an election by looking at distant TV pictures of piles of FPVs?! :p I honestly don't know and I am going to wait for an actual count, hopefully this evening.

How could mchugh get in?

No one had heard of her a week ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    How could mchugh get in?

Still seems she'll beat the Casey which must hurt a lot here :pac:

I'm looking forward to the spin his fans put on his latest failure.

How could mchugh get in?

Have you not heard of this ''Green Wave'' that has being rammed down our throats the last 24 hours.

Hmm, you predicted an election by looking at distant TV pictures of piles of FPVs?! :p I honestly don't know and I am going to wait for an actual count, hopefully this evening.

Don't be a stupid dick, the prediction is RTE's, read the posts for once.

How could mchugh get in?

If she matches the exit poll she would certainly be in the mix. If she's back where she was in polls she won't.

the prediction is RTE's, read the posts for once.
    Oh I've read them and I've pointed out the issue with all of this prognostication. RTE have done so as well by issuing health warnings around all the guesswork. We need an actual count.

Heard McHugh on the radio this morning when asked if she was at the count center she replied,OMG i would be too nervous to go there.Some addition she would be in Brussels if she is afraid to go to Castlebar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

Your username says it all.Stay inside the M50 and follow the likes of Damien Dempsey.

Hurt your feelings, did I? Not to worry, there's a big line dancing event in Nurney next weekend. Don't forget to bring your Stetson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If Carthy loses out it could be partly because of his refusal to answer the question about whether he would stay in Europe. I heard him on RTE a couple of weeks ago, and it was also on local radio.

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/leitrim/matt-carthy-denies-will-leave-europe-elected-contest-dail-seat/

None of the experts I heard predicted Carthy was in any danger, nor the big drop in support for SF generally. The plan was for Carthy to hand over his seat in Europe to a nominee, and he would contest a by-election if Brendan Smith won. Or a General Election which could be very soon. The best laid plans and all that.

Have you not heard of this ''Green Wave'' that has being rammed down our throats the last 24 hours.

Ciaran cuffe is a well known politician, she isn't

Heard McHugh on the radio this morning when asked if she was at the count center she replied,OMG i would be too nervous to go there.Some addition she would be in Brussels if she is afraid to go to Castlebar.

on another interview this morning she was running around going "omg omg . . where am I going to live in Brussells . . omg omg" . . noting about policy or what she's going to represent other than her own ego.

• Advertisement

If Carthy loses out it could be partly because of his refusal to answer the question about whether he would stay in Europe. I heard him on RTE a couple of weeks ago, and it was also on local radio.

https://www.shannonside.ie/news/local/leitrim/matt-carthy-denies-will-leave-europe-elected-contest-dail-seat/

None of the experts I heard predicted Carthy was in any danger, nor the big drop in support for SF generally. The plan was for Carthy to hand over his seat in Europe to a nominee, and he would contest a by-election if Brendan Smith won. Or a General Election which could be very soon. The best laid plans and all that.

He did address it during the debate, not convincingly though. He made it sound like they put his name on the website and forgot to take it off but he didn't say he wouldn't be a GE candidate.

on another interview this morning she was running around going "omg omg . . where am I going to live in Brussells . . omg omg" . . noting about policy or what she's going to represent other than her own ego.

Well suited to the Green Party.But i have a funny feeling she won't have to worry about where is is going to live in Brussels.

Hurt your feelings, did I? Not to worry, there's a big line dancing event in Nurney next weekend. Don't forget to bring your Stetson!

Line dancing not my cup of tea.More of an Eminem fan myself.
    You should get out of Dublin for a day you might learn something.

Well suited to the Green Party.But i have a funny feeling she won't have to worry about where is is going to live in Brussels.

RTE seems to be on a big push to promote her anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Augme

Looks like it's goinf to be an embarrassing, but not surprising, result of for Peter Casey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Plenty lining up to show her the delights of Brussels

Augme wrote: »
    Looks like it's goinf to be an embarrassing, but not surprising, result of for Peter Casey.

It's no surprise that he won't get elected,why is embarrassing.

RTE seems to be on a big push to promote her anyway

And the Green Party so get ready for plenty of new carbon taxes.

If Casey sticks to matters local he'll fare much better. Lesson learned.

• Advertisement

Agreed,I think the European Election was just to keep profile up before the next GE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭Augme

He lost the run of himself after the presidential election. This is what he said straight after the election.

“I am joining Fianna Fáil. I intend to run in the next general election in Donegal and I am going to become a Fianna Fáil TD — with a view to becoming Taoiseach at the head of a renewed and revitalised Fianna Fáil."

Fianna fail told his to piss off and now the electorate has as well. Given he had such loft ambitions this result is humiliating for him.

If he is going to stand in Donegal, he will need to come up with some gimmick to satisfy the locals.

If he is going to stand in Donegal, he will need to come up with some gimmick to satisfy the locals.

Or bring some jobs to the local area.You might be surprised with the contacts he has around the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Or bring some jobs to the local area.You might be surprised with the contacts he has around the world.
    Afair he got his highest % in the Presidential election in Tipperary. Options?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

He will need to get the jobs in before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Gimmick, gimmick, gimmick, a seat after midnight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Agreed,I think the European Election was just to keep profile up before the next GE.

Ah so this is the line now :D

Knew there would be a solid excuse to help the "peoples champion."

• Advertisement

He lost the run of himself after the presidential election. This is what he said straight after the election.

“I am joining Fianna F. I intend to run in the next general election in Donegal and I am going to become a Fianna F TD — with a view to becoming Taoiseach at the head of a renewed and revitalised Fianna F."

Fianna fail told his to piss off and now the electorate has as well. Given he had such loft ambitions this result is humiliating for him.

He done better that Fianna Fail in this election.The have politicians around for donkey years yet he done better than them.So if anybody is humiliated now its Fianna Fail.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah so this is the line now :D

Knew there would be a solid excuse to help the "peoples champion."

Do mind sharing who your champion is?

He done better that Fianna Fail in this election.The have politicians around for donkey years yet he done better than them.So if anybody is humiliated now its Fianna Fail.

I still don't think they will let him join the party. Especially since he wants to unseat their leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I still don't think they will let him join the party. Especially since he wants to unseat their leader.

Vote management could work, SF Pearse D was almost unseated in 2016 when they tried to to run 3 candidates. If not in Brussels, Casey will be in next Dail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Contacts around the world

Ffs.

He's a second rate businessman

Do people actually fall for this ballax

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

Hard to believe people ridicule Casey while Maria Walsh is going without any mention at all. Walsh is a worse embarassment, Casey at the very least put money to go for president while Walsh has been AWOL for years and turns up on the eve of the election looking for a big salary because her money has dried up.

**** it, be selfish, vote for Lowry, vote for the Healy Raes, you might get a few roads out of it or something while you're at it.

11/12 years since the crash and these fools still getting voted in.

Walsh has been AWOL for years

Are you in orbit? She only entered politics recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,288 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

listermint wrote: »

Ffs.

He’s not a politician at all but he got 23% of the vote in the Presidential Election from nowhere just for highlighting the things other politicians are afraid to even mention AND he made a nice wee packet for me in the bookies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

The dinosaurs should have voted greens.

They might be still here today.
    They were taxed to death by the Greens . Served them right for voting for the Greens .

listermint wrote: »

Ffs.

I don't know any second rate businessmen that are millionaires.
    To make a few million you have to know what your at or else win the lotto.
    The a closer look at the rest of the candidates and see what the have achieved in their lives.The done sweet F*uk all.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement