Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey to contest the European elections

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,137 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

So how many are bogus and avoiding deportation? How big an issue is this?

What's worse in Ireland is that we actually let bogus AS stay.

We give them "leave to remain", even though their AS claim failed.

I think there are far more important issues than the bogus AS in Ireland, like housing, health, public debt.

The bogus AS cost us about 90m in DP, so not a massive issue.

Still, it's good that some politician speaks the truth.

If you read the media, it seems all AS are genuine, when of course the majority of them are bogus.

The sham marriage cases uncovered as part of Operation Vantage, the false taxi driver documentation, and the 20% homeless who are non-Eu, are all part of the same issue.

DP should be ended, and the bogus AS deported asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Geuze wrote: »
    What's worse in Ireland is that we actually let bogus AS stay.

We give them "leave to remain", even though their AS claim failed.

I think there are far more important issues than the bogus AS in Ireland, like housing, health, public debt.

The bogus AS cost us about 90m in DP, so not a massive issue.

Still, it's good that some politician speaks the truth.

If you read the media, it seems all AS are genuine, when of course the majority of them are bogus.

The sham marriage cases uncovered as part of Operation Vantage, the false taxi driver documentation, and the 20% homeless who are non-Eu, are all part of the same issue.

DP should be ended, and the bogus AS deported asap.
    Eh he's not a politician, he's never been elected. He only talks about things that give him oxygen and publicity. It's also a national issue not an EU one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭The Enbalmer

What figures did Casey use? Simple question. Surely if you are going to raise an issue, you would first outline the problem?

*The question wasn't about what I know.

You sure ask a lot of questions.

You should apply for a job on an RTE game show.

You could couch the questions in such a way that no matter what answer is given you will infer the contestants are racists or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,155 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

You sure ask a lot of questions.

You should apply for a job on an RTE game show.

You could couch the questions in such a way that no matter what answer is given you will infer the contestants are racists or something.

It was a simple question. What figures did Casey quote that showed there was a problem with bogus asylum seekers here. Either he used facts and figures or he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Hopefully he uses his platform to solve rural burglaries and ends direct provision. There are 4 people of voting age in my house. All voting casey no. 1

I had no idea he was so progressive. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Like the rest of the spineless RTE robots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Scoundrel wrote:
    He's a tax dodging freeloader he contributes nothing to Irish society and is a recent immigrant to this country surely he should be booted out?

More ignorance on your behalf. You do understand the tax arrangements of a US citizen and dual taxation I take it. Recent immigrant? He was born in Derry and holds an Irish passport. You really are looking very foolish now.
    Hus wife is from crumlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Casey has a very good chance to get elected. Don't know what some people are talking about saying he is a no hoper. He came from outer space to get was it 20% against party candidates and probably the most popular incumbent ever. He got most of that 20% from a few comments about travellers and those comments will stand to him along with his immigration comments this time round. That said my personal opinion is that he has a very smart team behind him, he doesn't come across as very intelligent from his speech and syntax, but that could be very misleading. He seems genuinely engaged with Irish people's problems and seems to want to influence remedies. BTW what kind of business activities did he excell in?? There are not alot of politicians comming from business backround. Might be interesting to see more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You have referred to me as a member of SF.

I'm fairly sure I referred to you as a supporter not a member, feel free to throw up a post where I said you are a member?

It was a simple question. What figures did Casey quote that showed there was a problem with bogus asylum seekers here. Either he used facts and figures or he didn't.

Another question...

• Advertisement

Another question...

The same question...still unanswered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

What prejudices? Come on now you'll have to be specific when you make a claim. When you're ready....

Well he hates travellers and immigrants doesn't he? Is that why you support him? Or do you support his range of other detailed policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

lalababa wrote: »
    Casey has a very good chance to get elected. Don't know what some people are talking about saying he is a no hoper. He came from outer space to get was it 20% against party candidates and probably the most popular incumbent ever. He got most of that 20% from a few comments about travellers and those comments will stand to him along with his immigration comments this time round. That said my personal opinion is that he has a very smart team behind him, he doesn't come across as very intelligent from his speech and syntax, but that could be very misleading. He seems genuinely engaged with Irish people's problems and seems to want to influence remedies. BTW what kind of business activities did he excell in?? There are not alot of politicians comming from business backround. Might be interesting to see more.

Would agree with most of that. Not sure about the smart team part. He seems to operate on a few sound-bites and wings it for the most part. Leo is sort of like that - once he's off-script he's a stuttering disaster - certainly no great orator.
    Casey earned his money in recruitment I believe. Secured some big contracts getting staff to the like of SAP etc AFAIK.

Scoundrel wrote:
    Well he hates travellers and immigrants doesn't he? Is that why you support him? Or do you support his range of other detailed policies?

He never said he hated either group, so I'm afraid you'll have to do better than making stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Well he hates travellers and immigrants doesn't he?

Whats he said to give you that idea?

I'm fairly sure I referred to you as a supporter not a member, feel free to throw up a post where I said you are a member?

When you aren't spitting your coffee out when somebody else says it you are saying stuff like this:

They didn't get the stables they were demanding. That to me is a result. Has your party got over the trauma of Casey hammering their candidate?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

lalababa wrote: »

Ah, another one thinks the presidential means anything. OK some facts about that.

The turnout was 43%. Low turnouts tend to magnify contrarian votes. (This will be at least 50% turnout).
    Issues for the presidential are all fluff and beauty pageant stuff.
    The incumbent was absolutely unbeatable.
    It was a single seat.
    At least 25% of SF voters voted for Higgins.
    The field was dreadful.
    He latched, by accident, onto a protest vote.
    There were no political party candidates and no parties to vote for.
    As it was won on the first count nobody has any idea whether he can generate 2nd prefs.

When you aren't spitting your coffee out when somebody else says it you are saying stuff like this:

Can you provide the quote? Although my team lost on Saturday but I'm not a member of the club. Twist away lad, you have form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Well he hates travellers and immigrants doesn't he?
    If you're going to make scurrilous allegations, lets have some evidence first, you scoundrel.

The same question...still unanswered.

I suggest you email Casey himself and ask him your skillfully articulated questions. You can come back here with his answers or maybe don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I don't think he's against anyone who comes to the country through the proper channels.

here is the quote
    we can’t afford economic migrants to come in and we shouldn’t be forced to. We [should] put them on a plane and give them a ticket back . . . it is very simple .

I think that is clear enough that he doesn't want any more economic migrants... through proper channels or otherwise

but then again he can be contradictory at times

Here’s the quote taken from broadsheet
    I don’t want to go there [travellers], I think that has been done. I think a more important issue however is migration.

It is great that we’ve got wonderful diversity . . . We have a skills shortage, so we have to bring in people who can contribute.

What we can’t afford is to become a haven for freeloaders: people who come in because they know that Ireland won’t deport them and will give them accommodation, will give them education, will give them medical services.

Ireland cannot afford that and still provide the proper welfare state for people who are in Ireland.

We should take in our fair share of refugees; however, we can’t afford economic migrants to come in and we shouldn’t be forced to.

We [should] put them on a plane and give them a ticket back . . . it is very simple . . . under the European act…

We have 200 different nationalities in Ireland at the moment. They are entitled to bring in their relatives from other countries.

We have 535,000 immigrants at the moment, so we’ve got a wonderful diversity. You don’t need to worry about that . . . you need to worry about maintaining, protecting Brand Ireland.”

Can you provide the quote? Although my team lost on Saturday but I'm not a member of the club. Twist away lad, you have form.

As I predicted, you would deploy the 'the lovely girl contest is not the Rose Of Tralee' bamboozle when caught out.

You are gas.
    They didn't get the stables they were demanding. That to me is a result. Has your party got over the trauma of Casey hammering their candidate?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109912015&postcount=211

I suggest you email Casey himself and ask him your skillfully articulated questions. You can come back here with his answers or maybe don't bother.

When someone highlights a 'problem' would it not be expected that he would highlight how big a problem it actually is in the scheme of things?

Because the suspicion is that he is trying to ignite a fairly virulent irrational streak in Irish opinion...again, by generalising and using sensationalist language.

Simple question again, did he quote any figures or actual evidence as to the extent of this problem?

^^^^^ look up, Francie

Honestly, I see absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. I see a big issue though with media and people taking snippets of what he said and using it out of context.

When someone highlights a 'problem' would it not be expected that he would highlight how big a problem it actually is in the scheme of things?

Because the suspicion is that he is trying to ignite a fairly virulent irrational streak in Irish opinion...again, by generalising and using sensationalist language.

Simple question again, did he quote any figures or actual evidence as to the extent of this problem?

More questions...

As I predicted, you would deploy the 'the lovely girl contest is not the Rose Of Tralee' bamboozle when caught out.

Caught out Francie? Not me dear lad who told blatant lies here but I see what you're up to. You have a good day lad, just remember though you have defended SF on multiple occasions but in your words you're not a supporter even though you intend to vote for the SF candidate in the Euros. Someone's caught out alright.......

^^^^^ look up, Francie

Honestly, I see absolutely nothing wrong with what he said. I see a big issue though with media and people taking snippets of what he said and using it out of context.

We go above and beyond other European countries dealing with bogus asylum seekers.

The reason I asked if he used any stats is that those stats show that. And that he was just doing what he did in the Presidential election...resorting to cheap scaremongering that he knew would tap into a certain demographic and constituency. He has discovered a fairly easily roused rabble in other words, who don't want to look at the actual facts or difficulties around an issue.

Caught out Francie? Not me dear lad who told blatant lies here but I see what you're up to. You have a good day lad, just remember though you have defended SF on multiple occasions but in your words you're not a supporter even though you intend to vote for the SF candidate in the Euros. Someone's caught out alright.......

^ The lovely girl bamboozle mixed with a bit more insinuation. You don't like when the facts catch you out, do you? Mind your coffee there! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

A shame that he missed the opportunity to contribute his views on the ongoing criminal feud in Drogheda. Not of course that the carry-on up there is in any way representative of the ethnic group involved who, it should be stressed, are all lovely people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement