Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What practice/beliefs make you instantly lose respect for someone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I think most of it doesn't go into the toilet in pub bathrooms anyway . Judging by the choking miasma of wee fumes in one of the local pubs.Probably safer to do it outside .

They have street urinal things in Paris :eek:
    They have those in quite a few places, think I have seen them in London and Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,471 ✭✭✭pgj2015

anyone who doesn't wash their hands after using a toilet, scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Volkswagen Golf drivers.

Fcukers driving in bus lanes.

Fcukers driving into yellow boxes

Fcukers breaking red lights

We should meet up...for a fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

People who beep at me when I’m driving a tractor on a main road - yes I know I’m slowing you down but I’m traffic also, I pay road motor tax, I’m working and I’ll pull in when there’s a chance to, you driving by me giving me the finger and blowing your horn makes me laugh, you’ll always get a wave from me to annoy you more
    Particular mention for those that have their son in the front seat giving it loads too - super parenting job

People who talk about their kids nonstop, in particular co-workers - I can barely tolerate you never mind your kids

• Advertisement

Cyclists who wave you around them on a country road and then get annoyed if you don't do it. I'll go around you when I'm ready, now stop wobbling and concentrate.

Cyclists who go 2 abreast on roads, one day I will clip the outside man. We don't do it in cars so don't do it on a bike.

Vegetarians who won't cook or handle meat themselves.

People who don't see both sides in an argument, no matter who is right or wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Green&Red wrote: »
    People who beep at me when I’m driving a tractor on a main road - yes I know I’m slowing you down but I’m traffic also, I pay road tax, I’m working and I’ll pull in when there’s a chance to, you driving by me giving me the finger and blowing your horn makes me laugh, you’ll always get a wave from me to annoy you more
    Particular mention for those that have their son in the front seat giving it loads too - super parenting job

Do you really pay road tax in your tractor?
    You're very good to put the expensive diesel in your tractor!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

People who babble on about fry-ups as if it's some kind of demarcation of their true authenticity and masculinity.
    "No, you've got to have exactly 2 pieces of black pudding, soda bread fried in lard and eggs slightly runny but not mixing with the ketchup." etc
    Nobody gives a sh1t.

ArrBee wrote: »
    Do you really pay road tax in your tractor?
    You're very good to put the expensive diesel in your tractor!

I should have said motor tax, and yes we pay motor tax and you can still put the green diesel in

I posted here previously talking about a slob in my workplace. Nothing has changed, even after an email from the boss. Messy wanker. Need to up my game to combat this.

• Advertisement

Idiots who call motor tax "road tax"

Tomw86 wrote: »
    We should meet up...for a fight!

I've always wondered how a boards.ie fight club would work out :) Could be a lot of fun. I could name a few users Id happily go to the mat with with one arm tied back. :)

Wonder would it pull a crowd and some money for that Santa thing boards do every year. 8 16 or 32 boardsies in a knock out series till a final winner :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I posted here previously talking about a slob in my workplace. Nothing has changed, even after an email from the boss. Messy wanker. Need to up my game to combat this.

Just tell him to stand over the sink ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

One-up ism
    Racism

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Taking photos of strangers without consent. Creepy .

FB friend posted one of her 19 year old lodger's bum, sneakily taken while he was preparing food . I did lose what respect I had for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

People who talk about their kids nonstop, in particular co-workers - I can barely tolerate you never mind your kids

God yeah. My wife's friends are like that.

Nobody gives a **** about your kids. We have 2 little darlings but we have enough cop on to appreciate that nobody wants to hear about them.

I find it worse in England (wife is English) and that is all they can talk about.

In fact a few years ago we were back in Ireland in my local at Christmas with a few of my Irish buddies. There were 4 couples- we are all married and a truckload of kids between us.

No exaggeration there was not one single minute taken up discussing our kids.

I pointed it out to the wife afterwards and she agreed- "Can you imagine being out with X,Y and Z back in England on a night out and NOT discussing kids?

She acknowledged it would be unthinkable. Even her childless friends have turned into sad cat/dog lovers- that's all they can talk about. They even give us animal themed tat as presents. We do not have pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

People who are into correctiing people's grammar online, when on forums.

Does anyone remember that member year's ago Magicmarker ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,475 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Oh god yes! Had one years ago while a very nice lady and great colleague would never stfu about every minute detail of her kids lives and goings on. I mean it was endless. Their names are all forever ingrained in my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Vegetarians who won't cook or handle meat themselves.

Ah come on now. In more than 35 years of not eating meat I have literally never, ever said to anyone they should not eat meat and will very happily eat with people who are eating whatever the hell they want to eat. The kids can cook up their meat on the stove and bring home and lash out their burgers from the takeaway and so on. But fcuk sake, now I know there are people who resent that I would really not like to get hands on cosy with a big wobbly raw steak or cook them up a pan full of fricking sausages. Seems a bit mean. :(

Nobody gives a **** about your kids. We have 2 little darlings but we have enough cop on to appreciate that nobody wants to hear about them.

I find it worse in England (wife is English) and that is all they can talk about.

In fact a few years ago we were back in Ireland in my local at Christmas with a few of my Irish buddies. There were 4 couples- we are all married and a truckload of kids between us.

I pointed it out to the wife afterwards and she agreed- "Can you imagine being out with X,Y and Z back in England on a night out and NOT discussing kids?

She acknowledged it would be unthinkable. Even her childless friends have turned into sad cat/dog lovers- that's all they can talk about. They even give us animal themed tat as presents. We do not have pets.

Yes very true about the English thing- especially on social media where I’m friends with a few colleagues that have kids- all they ever post are pics of their kids plus their latest going’s on or events. Posts about what they said or funny anecdotes. Some Irish colleagues you’d barely even know they had kids.
    Working with English people is the exact opposite of what I expected- they are far more nosey generally than Irish colleagues I’ve had with few work/personal life boundaries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Zorya wrote: »
    Ah come on now. In more than 35 years of not eating meat I have literally never, ever said to anyone they should not eat meat and will very happily eat with people who are eating whatever the hell they want to eat. The kids can cook up their meat on the stove and bring home and lash out their burgers from the takeaway and so on. But fcuk sake, now I know there are people who resent that I would really not like to get hands on cosy with a big wobbly raw steak or cook them up a pan full of fricking sausages. Seems a bit mean. :(

To be fair should vegetarians be expected to handle meat or cook it for someone else? My late dad loved boiled tripe. There was no fecking way I was going to cook that for him. And I wasn't vegetarian at the time. I just hated the thought of it.

Blatantly plagiarizing this from the good place but people who....

have ever committed a serious crime, such as murder, sexual harassment, arson, or otherwise?

Have ever have a vanity license plate, like "Mama's BMW (MAMASBMW)", "Lexus for Liz (LEXUS4LIZ)", or "BOOBGUY"?

have ever reheated fish in an office microwave?

Have ever paid money to hear music performed by California funk rock band, the Red Hot Chili Peppers?

Have ever taken off their shoes and socks on a commercial airline?

road_high wrote: »
    Yes very true about the English thing- especially on social media where I’m friends with a few colleagues that have kids- all they ever post are pics of their kids plus their latest going’s on or events. Posts about what they said or funny anecdotes. Some Irish colleagues you’d barely even know they had kids.
    Working with English people is the exact opposite of what I expected- they are far more nosey generally than Irish colleagues I’ve had with few work/personal life boundaries.

Yes I have been working her nearly 10 years and they are very nosey.

I remember one night visiting a couple in England and their only child was in bed. What did they do? They actually got her out of bed and planked (toddler at the time) her in the middle of the living room so we could all just well basically look at her. It is like they could not handle not having their pride and joy to look at. We had gone over late so the child would be in bed...FFS.

I've had a few runs in with my own wife about it- I am a private person but she will discuss all things about us to friends etc. she complained one day that I don't tell her anything and I snapped back: "If I want half the effing town to know I'll tell you.' She is not a gossip but fcuk me.

She just accuses me of being repressed Irish.

I also found something you might say to a colleague will be repeated no matter what. Things that kinda goes without saying that are sensitive but here...well just don't say it is the lesson.

But at the same time they won't tell you something major like a few years back I was working in a small business with 17 people in total. One day one of the secretaries came into my office (nice lady late 40s just knew her to say hello and exchange pleasantries) and ask me to process a matter relating to a death. She left it with me.

Fcuk me...it was her husband's death certificate- he had only died from cancer a few weeks earlier and nobody bothered to mention this little fact to me.

There was two office juniors in the adjoining room...and they fcuking knew but yet I chatted with them everyday and all the usual office banter and not one of them thought about mentioning to me that X's husband had died after a long battle with cancer. They just looked at each other in silence.

I've read about local murders and all sorts weeks after the events from the internet. Nobody local would even know about it.

Yes all in all I do find the English very self absorbed. Anything outside there own little circle they don't want to know about. Good luck having a chat about current affairs or politics. I only get to chat about Brexit when I am back in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Ignorant people.

Like this girl in work, lets call her Sinead from Payroll.

I was walking down the corridor to the canteen at lunchtime. Sinead's in front of me and the person in front of her is a bit ahead of her but holds the door open behind him until Sinead catches up.

Sinead already know that I'm a few yards behind her, she had glanced back at me a few paces ago, but she just slips through the door, doesn't even make a token effort to hold it open for me, just lets it slam behind her.

The thing is, I know that if the guy in front of her did what she did, she'd be fcuking moaning about what an ignorant prick he is for months to come - it's the double-standards of her own ignorant behavior that pisses me off the most.

TL:DR
    Fcuk you Sinead

I haven’t worked in England per say but had frequent trips over to their office and there for days- the level of gossip and scrutiny on other colleagues was something to behold. Half the day seemed to be taken up with what somebody had said, did or not did. Or if someone was late or leaving early.
    Much more personal than you’d get here for sure. Irish people tend to mind their own business in work which is great and proper work personal life boundaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Bitcoin true believers.

I do get a good laugh every time their "coins" disappear into thin air after the latest scam that nobody could have seen coming, but there is little that will lose my respect faster than solemnly telling me that you have been investing your time and money into the good old Bitcoin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Never a truer word said. I grew up with aunts and uncles in England. We always felt inferior to our cousins over there. Each trip to Ireland by them, we were told of the fantastic achievements, their brilliance, their unimaginable work levels. In reality, now, they are a bunch of loosers and their mother is now talking the same ****e about their kids. Between running the local medical facilities (she is a secretary in a doctors office) to organising Glastonbury (she bought a ticket) to being in charge of the London Under ground (a train driver) we all felt we were much less talented than all of the kids over there.

As it turns out, us Irish kids have achieved far more in our lives than their kids, we don't have chips on our shoulders about them (they seem to think they are better than us), we also (all of my irish cousins) act like brothers and sisters. We are involved in each others lives, we are there for one another and look after each others parents by visiting and also making sure they are all ok.

This English thing of making your kids out to be Einstein is something that we now joke about.

I've always wondered how a boards.ie fight club would work out :) Could be a lot of fun. I could name a few users Id happily go to the mat with with one arm tied back. :)

Wonder would it pull a crowd and some money for that Santa thing boards do every year. 8 16 or 32 boardsies in a knock out series till a final winner :)

Would definitely be a money spinner!

All the McGregor fan boys would be out in huge numbers to watch it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

People who talk during films at the cinema

My ex is English and has little concept of discretion . A nightmare for airing private matters in public too. He's told seemingly everyone every detail of an illness I had. I don't even know most of the people he's told . Being introduced to strangers and having them stare at your stomach is sh1te, and as he does this in front of me I know he gives them all the gory details ''15 litres of blood '' etc (pretty sure it was more like 5. He also never saw a small rat.)

Someone I know knew Victoria Beckham and when one of her children was young he met her back wherever she and my friend come from . He basically said she was pushing the child into everyones face in a shop. ''She must be really proud of him''

I think everyone is proud of their family but they don't act like they have to prove it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

You were well rid of him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Anyone who thinks Elvis is still alive

Anyone that pronounces Brexit "BreGZit" (that's at least 80% of you!)

Zorya wrote: »

Sorry, just to clarify, I mean cooked meat.

There isn't ever really a reason to handle raw meat - or cooked me I suppose for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Sorry, just to clarify, I mean cooked meat.

There isn't ever really a reason to handle raw meat - or cooked me I suppose for that matter.

Ah look it I'll slap a bit of ham in a sambo for someone alright but I'd probably poison everyone if I tried to do any more regarding meat. :)

NSAman wrote: »
    Never a truer word said. I grew up with aunts and uncles in England. We always felt inferior to our cousins over there. Each trip to Ireland by them, we were told of the fantastic achievements, their brilliance, their unimaginable work levels. In reality, now, they are a bunch of loosers and their mother is now talking the same ****e about their kids. Between running the local medical facilities (she is a secretary in a doctors office) to organising Glastonbury (she bought a ticket) to being in charge of the London Under ground (a train driver) we all felt we were much less talented than all of the kids over there.

As it turns out, us Irish kids have achieved far more in our lives than their kids, we don't have chips on our shoulders about them (they seem to think they are better than us), we also (all of my irish cousins) act like brothers and sisters. We are involved in each others lives, we are there for one another and look after each others parents by visiting and also making sure they are all ok.

This English thing of making your kids out to be Einstein is something that we now joke about.

That's gas. I remember my wife had a flat mate renting off her when I met her first. Background- I work in the professional services industry, I have multiple degrees, masters and a few other professional qualifications. I now run the firm I am working in- in fact I was head hunted for the role so compared to all my English wife's friends and family I am head and shoulders above any of them when it comes to career and education etc.

Now sorry to ****e on like that but when the flat mate's parents asked my wife what I did for a living the mother goes: "Oh we have one those in our family too."

Really. It is true she works in the same industry generally but 'Gemma' is a part time typist (nothing wrong with that at all) but the mother was trying to equate that we did the same thing. Like the hospital porter claiming to run the A&E ward.

In fact, we have heard through the grapevine that my secretary likes to big herself up to her friends (has got back to us). She keeps the place running and I am basically her bitch rather than her actual employer...as long as she keeps wearing those skirts she can say what she wants...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Abortion-choicers. Cant respect anyone that doesn't respect life.
    Bandwagon jumping virtue signalers. Aodhain O'Riordain for example.
    People who neglect their kids out of stinginess.

• Advertisement

Is it the more defined class system in England whereby people must talk themselves up to feel important?
    Have an Indian friend also that works in a call Centre basically but you’d swear he was running the financial operation to listen to him. I try change the subject when it comes to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

People who leave dishes/pots in the sink 'to soak'. (i.e. until someone else washes them)

Line 'em up beside the dirtbirds who throw teabags into the sink.

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,916 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Edit: Thought I was in the TA thread!

Hugh Fearnley Wittingstall (TV chef, River Cottage ) had a vegetarian butchering apprentice.
    If that wasn't strange enough , he disguised offal in something soupy, and fed it to her.

I don't think it's unreasonable if vegetarians don't want to handle what probably is, to them, bits of corpses.

I'm an on and off, not strict vegetarian who cooks meat for someone . It doesn't bother me. Everyone is different .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Is it the more defined class system in England whereby people must talk themselves up to feel important?
    Have an Indian friend also that works in a call Centre basically but you’d swear he was running the financial operation to listen to him. I try change the subject when it comes to work

I personally think, it has more to do with being "seen" to be successful and then the stories escalate. Self aggrandisement is something that is in the English physche. They have to be better than they actually are, that is evident in the way they react to people in work situations at home and also to foreign partners and colleagues even. The amount of times I have literally torn someone apart to show them their mistake and they STILL will not admit it because they are English and know it all (due to their "title" in a company).

The industries I work in currently, are dominated by famous English people. Unfortunately, the snooty attitudes from Secretaries leave a lot to be desired. "No you may not speak to Lord XXXXXXXXX, who are you?"... the fact that Lord XXXXXXXX is a personal friend, who when I put the phone down with the secretary I call on his mobile... does not seem to register with these people. They seem to think that they are protecting their boss when in actual fact they are harming business contacts.

As mentioned before, most of my cousins are high achievers and are so grounded that it's a pleasure to be part of family with them. They all have that sense of humour that Irish people are known for. Their children are all highly educated and either doing wonderful things abroad or getting on with their lives and enjoying themselves. They leave their English cousins in the shade both personality wise and education wise. Irish kids are much more "streetwise" when it comes to personal interactions with people.. IMHO!

• Advertisement

Sweeping generalizations about tens of millions of people based on the experiences of a few and extrapolation borne of confirmation bias.

NSAman wrote: »
    I personally think, it has more to do with being "seen" to be successful and then the stories escalate. Self aggrandisement is something that is in the English physche. They have to be better than they actually are, that is evident in the way they react to people in work situations at home and also to foreign partners and colleagues even. The amount of times I have literally torn someone apart to show them their mistake and they STILL will not admit it because they are English and know it all (due to their "title" in a company).

The industries I work in currently, are dominated by famous English people. Unfortunately, the snooty attitudes from Secretaries leave a lot to be desired. "No you may not speak to Lord XXXXXXXXX, who are you?"... the fact that Lord XXXXXXXX is a personal friend, who when I put the phone down with the secretary I call on his mobile... does not seem to register with these people. They seem to think that they are protecting their boss when in actual fact they are harming business contacts.

As mentioned before, most of my cousins are high achievers and are so grounded that it's a pleasure to be part of family with them. They all have that sense of humour that Irish people are known for. Their children are all highly educated and either doing wonderful things abroad or getting on with their lives and enjoying themselves. They leave their English cousins in the shade both personality wise and education wise. Irish kids are much more "streetwise" when it comes to personal interactions with people.. IMHO!

That is why the 'white' native English are falling behind and left in the shade by more ambitious 'foreigners' i.e. second generation South Asian.

I have clients that pull up in Porsches, Bentleys Audi R8s but they live at home with their parents! TBH all Asian.

For example how many Asian sports people do you see? Very very few...they are shoehorned into university and medicine etc.

I pass two Grammar Schools on my way to work every morning- 90-95% are Asian. I also pass the local 'college' i.e. where you go at 16 if you are not academic- 90-95% white.

I have had comments about how well I get on with clients and they like me...being Irish I have zero hangups about class, schools etc like the native white population. The Asians like me for the same reason..I am not looking down on them and they also remember the discrimination the Irish suffered in the past like them so they feel this strange kinship. Happy to milk it for new business contacts.

Candie wrote: »
    Sweeping generalizations about tens of millions of people based on the experiences of a few and extrapolation borne of confirmation bias.

but Boards would collapse if we didn't do that

Sweeping wild generalisations are fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

A former company I used to work for - there was only 3 of us in the Irish office. One was a girl - first job out of college. She had been e-mailing a friend of hers several times over 3-4 days, talking herself up, all about the huge office she had to herself (she was in an open plan office sitting amongst employees of another company) and how she was practically managing the entire Ireland operation. Long story short, I ended up on the "to" list of one of her friends replies. When she realized this, and that I would be reading the whole e-mail chain, she was mortified. Never made eye contact with me ever again....literally ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Apple (The company, not the fruit) fanatics
    Scientologists
    Moon-landing & 9/11 conspiracy theorists
    Born-again christians (Especially when they refer to themselves as Christians, implying that Catholics and other Protestant churches aren't true Christians).
    Vegans

Now don't get me wrong: I have no problem with any of these beliefs per say. The issue is that each of these belief-systems are VERY evangelical and can be quite aggressive in their beliefs and attempts to convert:

"You don't have iPhoneX-23? But it's whiter. Why don't you have one?" "No, I have iPhone 6 for work and a personal Android phone" "Oh will you shut up about Android!!!"
    Scientologists... Nothing to say
    Moon-Landing (and especially 9/11 theorists). Suddenly aa 1 hour youtube video made by a "scientist" makes everyone a metallurgist who is able to prove the melting point of any metal under every circumstance.
    Born Again Christians. "I'm a christian. Look at my fish. No there is no evolution but all creatures fit on the arc because they came from similar source animals. You are Catholic? OK. Well, I'm Christian"
    "I don't eat meat" "Hi, how are you, my name is grover" "I don't eat meat" "I wasn't offering" "I don't eat meat"

I don't have a problem with hipsters. I do find myself thinking snide comments about their identical "non-conformity". For someone who tries so hard to be different it is remarkable how similar they are. But then I berate myself for this snide comment. Who are they hurting? No, I don't have a problem with them. They are not hurting anybody and just 'cos I'm a grumpy old man, it doesn't mean they should change.

There is a shallowness to millenials that I find a bit sad: I had a conversation with my niece who is a millenial and asked her about what her generation looks for when they go out and she genuinely responded that they would rather go to a flying-bottle bar with no chance of meeting someone if there was a chance of a good instagram photo.

But again, that's a generational thing. I just find it a bit sad and lonely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭chrissb8

People who talk over people or talk when someone is in the middle of saying something. You can see how much hurt it causes someone to not be listened to and what they say just discarded as not important or revelant. Even worse when it's by some loudmouth who has absolutely f**k all to say.

Anyone who takes offence because they're own self importance is so important "That's offensive". Great, and how the hell did that contribute to the discussion, explain to me why you're offended and relate to me your opinion of why you think what you think. Being OFFENDED means nothing to me. You're not my bestfriend or my girlfriend or anyone I know well enough to care what you think. Infact my opinion on you has been made up already if you come at me with that s***e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Sweeping wild generalisations are fun.

I hate ALL sweeping generalisations and everyone who makes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

But at the same time they won't tell you something major like a few years back I was working in a small business with 17 people in total. One day one of the secretaries came into my office (nice lady late 40s just knew her to say hello and exchange pleasantries) and ask me to process a matter relating to a death. She left it with me.

Fcuk me...it was her husband's death certificate- he had only died from cancer a few weeks earlier and nobody bothered to mention this little fact to me.

There was two office juniors in the adjoining room...and they fcuking knew but yet I chatted with them everyday and all the usual office banter and not one of them thought about mentioning to me that X's husband had died after a long battle with cancer. They just looked at each other in silence.

I've read about local murders and all sorts weeks after the events from the internet. Nobody local would even know about it.

Yes all in all I do find the English very self absorbed. Anything outside there own little circle they don't want to know about. Good luck having a chat about current affairs or politics. I only get to chat about Brexit when I am back in Ireland.

That doesn't surprise me given the way they do funerals over there. Cold. Impersonal. Take ages to be held and the priest / vicar never seems to know the deceased.

In my industry I deal with a lot of English colleagues - fine on a personal level but professionally are much more standoffish and impersonal with customers. They have a totally different way of doing business. And then you have the converse - I have dealt with English customers who have relocated to Ireland and they can't believe how much the Irish do for them (from a service perspective) compared to the UK staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Taking photos of strangers without consent. Creepy .

FB friend posted one of her 19 year old lodger's bum, sneakily taken while he was preparing food . I did lose what respect I had for her.

What a strange thing to do!

• Advertisement
Advertisement