Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slieve Bloom trail centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Good jib! wrote: »
    I was up there over Christmas (walking) and was surprised to see signs indicating that some of the MTB paths were open. A decent job seems to have been done from what I could see. I'll wait til they've finished the whole thing, but it's definitely encouraging that there's already some of it completed!
    Latest is that there's 4km open, but only 800m singletrack?

https://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/arts-culture-entertainment/356023/first-section-of-slieve-bloom-bike-trail-opens-to-public.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Coillte facebook page this time ...
    Slieve Bloom MTB Trails

A short section of the new Slieve Bloom MTB trail will be open from Sat 22nd December. It is 4kms in total with approx. 800 metres of singletrack.

The trails will open fully at Easter 2019, but this short section is to cater for local demand over the Christmas break. All other sections remain closed as they are at various stages of construction - please stay off closed sections, as rutting them at this stage will make it more difficult to finish surfacing.

To access the trails which are open, drive to and park in Kinnitty village, Co. Offaly and cycle towards Kinnitty Castle/ Clonaslee. You will pick up the blue waymarkers along the road and turn into the forest just after the GAA pitch. Sections of doubletrack will take you into the trail system with a long road climb and singletrack descent. Follow the blue waymarkers throughout.

The descent is fast in sections, so as with all MTB trails, make sure you ride within your ability and always wear a helmet.

Happy trails!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Any more updates ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I think they are aiming for opening around Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

It now seems they are due to open on the June bank holiday weekend according to the facebook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭prunudo

I wonder what the delay is?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

jvan wrote: »
    I wonder what the delay is?

These things will always over run, mainly weather dependant work. I can't help but notice the lack of hype around it which leads me to believe it will be disappointing. A mate was up the other day and walked up some of the closed sections for a look and he thought it looked decent but nothing obviously wild about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭covey123

Heard a lot of the budget unexpectedly had to go towards ground work,bringing in extra stone because of soft/boggy ground even when dug down trying to find something solid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

covey123 wrote: »
    Heard a lot of the budget unexpectedly had to go towards ground work,bringing in extra stone because of soft/boggy ground even when dug down trying to find something solid

Heard this excuse before, it'd make you wonder how the UK and other countries managed it at all...

rizzodun wrote: »
    Heard this excuse before, it'd make you wonder how the UK and other countries managed it at all...

Probably build a boardwalk over the bog rather than trying to fill it in with stone to provide hard surface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

Is there a map of the full trail anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭ec18

Probably build a boardwalk over the bog rather than trying to fill it in with stone to provide hard surface.

They did that in ballinastoe on one of the sections on homerun, they removed it after a while because people kept falling into the bog. They do it in Derroura though and it's good

ec18 wrote: »
    They did that in ballinastoe on one of the sections on homerun, they removed it after a while because people kept falling into the bog. They do it in Derroura though and it's good

Red loop in Rostrevor has plenty of them too. Hopefully its just Chinese whispers, would hate to think Coillte are trying to reinvent the wheel.
    Look forward to trying it out at some stage over the summer.

Or maybe perhaps at tender stage the contractors actually do a proper analysis of the land they're going into and then make a proper trail design that takes advantage of the ground and features.

Like I said, it'd make you wonder how every other country does it. Including the UK, more or less the same land types that we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

From the snippets I've seen the design is in line with Ticknock and Ballinastoe etc. all narrow hardpack trails through the trees... I'm sure some of the routes will have amazing views like Derroura.

I see an eBike hire company have set up down that neck of the woods, so should be great for beginners and families to get out for a scoot around the trails on an electric bicycle and enjoy the fresh air and doing something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Beginners tend to fall over at the mere sight of a boardwalk. Also Coillte hate boardwalks for some reason.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Beginners tend to fall over at the mere sight of a boardwalk. Also Coillte hate boardwalks for some reason.

I'd say the compo culture in this country has something to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Or maybe perhaps at tender stage the contractors actually do a proper analysis of the land they're going into and then make a proper trail design that takes advantage of the ground and features.

Like I said, it'd make you wonder how every other country does it. Including the UK, more or less the same land types that we have here.

Speaking of the UK - I can only speak for my neck of the woods - it varies from area to area and is heavily dependent on the groups involved be they conservation groupis/trusts, trail advocacy groups, land-managers, or councils, how well they communicate with one another, their experience, and more importantly whether or not the local council bother listening to any trail groups be they cyclist, walker or horsey folk. For example, my council is Sheffield, and Ride Sheffield are a very active advocacy group who have had a hand in a lot of trail building; some of it self-funded, some of it in conjunction with the council. Derbyshire council "next door" by contrast, are muppets who listen to no-one, say they'll not do something because it's bad and then do it and all whilst wasting taxpayers money. What makes the difference all the more stark is when all of the trail groups are pretty much united on something and Derbyshire council just do what they want to do anyway, which lasts until the next heavy rain making the problem worse ...

Regards difficult works, such as boggy ground or possible nature habitats for rare species, Ride Sheffield have done extensive research & planning, engaging with conservation groups/trusts, land-management, and the council to come up with lasting solutions that are also appropriate; i.e. not paving slabs or a dollop of concrete (and I've not encountered a board-walk feature yet either ... ). So again, your mileage between geographical regions may vary.

From watching countryfile over the last couple of years, we are so far behind the UK where it comes to integrating human activities and wildlife diversity. Whether building walking/cycle paths, planting new woodland areas in urban settings or even creating ponds and wet areas to attract wildlife. So much more could be done here but as usual the politicians and powers that be are all talk and very little action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Its probably more down to the everymans rights (freedom to roam) that they have over there so there is a better appreciation of integration. Over here its ultimately up to the land owners call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

nelly17 wrote: »
    Its probably more down to the everymans rights (freedom to roam) that they have over there so there is a better appreciation of integration. Over here its ultimately up to the land owners call

It's not quite as simple as that from the impression I have. It helps, certainly, but there's more to it. Having dedicated trusts (e.g. Woodland trust, Wildlife trust, etc.) looking after natural areas limits the fallout from either indifference and/or incompetence from local councils. It also means that starting a conversation with the land-managers has a better chance of leading to some sort of positive outcome vs. some random council worker who really might not care for the outdoors or their job and is more interested in the latest episode of strictly come dancing.

I've made it all sound a bit easy; it's not. The lads behind Ride Sheffield took about five years before seeing any positives, as it took that time to build working relationships. But regardless of all that effort; Sheffield & Derbyshire councils are like night and day regards their receptiveness, so if there is no will - or intrangience from stubborn employees - there'll be no way to begin with.

Also on top of that, regards the right to roam - one of the big hurdles has been getting the local rambling groups on side as some of their members have been very hostile towards mountain bikers and completely negative regards any support. The horse folk less so. That's all changed with the "Be nice,say hi" campaign started by Ride Sheffield.

To emphasis, I could be completely wrong in my assessment as it's all based on things I've heard or seen and the impression left.

I'd say the compo culture in this country has something to do with it.

My thoughts exactly

Lemming wrote: »
    - "Be nice,say hi" campaign started by Ride Sheffield.

Goes a long way where conflict can potentially arise,still plenty of walkers/horse riders out there on the natural/shared trails who are plesently surprised by what people do on mountain bikes

covey123 wrote: »
    Goes a long way where conflict can potentially arise,still plenty of walkers/horse riders out there on the natural/shared trails who are plesently surprised by what people do on mountain bikes

Never heard of that 'Be nice, say hi' concept but its a good simple initiative to break the ice so to speak.
    I'll always make an effort to say hello to people I meet in the woods but I've noticed a huge difference in responses you get from people in the likes of Ballinastoe/Djouce vs Ticknock. Up in Ticknock a lot of the walkers seem shocked and nearly put out that you've engaged with with them. Still though, as the saying goes, its nice to be nice.

Back on topic, here is the latest from Coilltes facebook page. They're planning to open it in stages throughout the summer as the sections get finished. Fb comments aren't very positive but only time will tell what they're like.

https://www.facebook.com/189960274370069/posts/2503052236394183/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Not sure why some folks are so negative on this. Firstly, none of them have actually ridden the trails yet. And what did they expect Coillte to build? I like riding rocky, rooty steep trails, but I also love fast smooth trails like Expressway in Ballinastoe or Metro in Ticknock. I'm definitely going to wait until I've been down there before deciding the whole thing is a disaster. Otherwise it's like the Daily Mail saying 'Ban this sick filth' about a movie they haven't seen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

bogmanfan wrote: »
    Not sure why some folks are so negative on this. Firstly, none of them have actually ridden the trails yet. And what did they expect Coillte to build? I like riding rocky, rooty steep trails, but I also love fast smooth trails like Expressway in Ballinastoe or Metro in Ticknock. I'm definitely going to wait until I've been down there before deciding the whole thing is a disaster. Otherwise it's like the Daily Mail saying 'Ban this sick filth' about a movie they haven't seen yet.

Well said. its a bit early to be panicking I think.

I'm calling Joe Duffy...

bogmanfan wrote: »

I think they expect trails that will attract international tourism to be built. People think all the MTB community in Ireland want is massive gap jumps and tech sections. What they want is trails that offer progression, advancement and worthy of travelling hours to ride. It’s supposed to be World Class and attract international visitors. Ballinastoe and Ticknock are grand, but I’m hardly gonna hop on a plane to ride them! Plenty of people have ridden them by the way, so it’s not without foundation.

By the way, the Irish mentality of ‘waiting until it’s built before passing judgement’ is exactly what’s wrong with projects like this. Rather than ensuring the funds are being correctly used before it’s too late, we should rely on a out of date approach with no involvement of the user base they are trying to attract, and sure when the money is wasted and it doesn’t provide the return on investment promised the MTB community can be further slated for saying “I told you so” rather than getting involved sooner.

Ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rizzodun wrote:
    By the way, the Irish mentality of ‘waiting until it’s built before passing judgement’ is exactly what’s wrong with projects like this. Rather than ensuring the funds are being correctly used before it’s too late, we should rely on a out of date approach with no involvement of the user base they are trying to attract, and sure when the money is wasted and it doesn’t provide the return on investment promised the MTB community can be further slated for saying “I told you so†rather than getting involved sooner.

Public amenities don't always need to have a monetary return on investment as they are provided for the well being of its citizens, and visitors

Advertisement