Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slieve Bloom trail centre

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Public amenities don't always need to have a monetary return on investment as they are provided for the well being of its citizens, and visitors

They do when it’s been stated in the reason for funding that they will deliver a return on investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

rizzodun wrote:
    They do when it’s been stated in the reason for funding that they will deliver a return on investment.

Yea we really need to move on from this return on investment nonsense, we don't always need them

Yea we really need to move on from this return on investment nonsense, we don't always need them

You countered my point, I explained that it’s the main factor in securing the funding, now we must move on.
    To be clear, I’d rather not a single cent be spent on substandard trails, if that means it’s more difficult to find places to ride then fine, I’d rather not see the money wasted. It shouldn’t be for the few.

Judging by the comments on the post I’m not alone there.

rizzodun wrote:
    You countered my point, I explained that it’s the main factor in securing the funding, now we must move on. To be clear, I’d rather not a single cent be spent on substandard trails, if that means it’s more difficult to find places to ride then fine, I’d rather not see the money wasted. It shouldn’t be for the few.

And again, public amenities don't always need financial returns, it's not a healthy way of running a society, anyhow...

I'd imagine public trails cannot be as adventurous as other trails for various reasons including insurance, I do think public trails should be prioritised for entry level users, to encourage people to take up the sport, private operators are beginning to take up the need for the more adventurous

And again, public amenities don't always need financial returns, it's not a healthy way of running a society, anyhow...

I'd imagine public trails cannot be as adventurous as other trails for various reasons including insurance, I do think public trails should be prioritised for entry level users, to encourage people to take up the sport, private operators are beginning to take up the need for the more adventurous

Look, I agree they don’t always need financial return, but in this case it was the strong reason they got the funding in the first place.

I also agree that the trails should allow entry level users, but this can be done while encouraging advanced users to travel.

In other countries public projects have achieved this, see Scotland’s strategy until 2025, bike parks in Wales, and a great example is Derby in Tasmania. I doesn’t have to be carbon copy, but they’re years ahead of our approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

How would a financial return on a free local amenity be calculated anyway? Number of bike-rentals, nights in B+Bs and pints sold in Kinnitty?

rizzodun wrote:
    In other countries public projects have achieved this, see Scotland’s strategy until 2025, bike parks in Wales, and a great example is Derby in Tasmania. I doesn’t have to be carbon copy, but they’re years ahead of our approach.

I wonder are the folks involved in the public parks keeping up with things, I am hearing great things about your mentioned destinations?

Good jib! wrote: »
    How would a financial return on a free local amenity be calculated anyway? Number of bike-rentals, nights in B+Bs and pints sold in Kinnitty?

Increase in spend withing the local economy. Same as other tourist attractions. As you mentioned above, but also increase in property values and commercial values due to increase in demand, for example. There's many other factors I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭booooonzo

They do in this case, part of funding, allows for reinvestment and the potential for growth and to create a buzz and expansion.

Also puts some level of expectation on the quality that should be delivered by allowing comparisons to private, properly run trails.

Why aim for the bottom?
    Public trails should strive for excellence for all rider abilities and not prioritised for entry level.
    Progression can be fast in mtb and it's mtb communities that have the potential to adopt trails and maintain/support and grow them. But not if they are glorified walking paths.

That doesn't have to mean huge features but it does mean quality progressive trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭prunudo

Any word on how the trails are progressing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

Latest word from Slieve Bloom Mountain Biking on Facebook is: "Will post when the trails are open."

Ah shur it'll be ready when it's ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I wonder how the rentals place down there must feel. They're trying to operate a business with only 5km of trails open, and the summer is half over at this stage. Has any reason been given for the repeated delays I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

bogmanfan wrote: »
    I wonder how the rentals place down there must feel. They're trying to operate a business with only 5km of trails open, and the summer is half over at this stage. Has any reason been given for the repeated delays I wonder?

There's a lot of natural trails and fireroads up there too, although I agree it must be very frustrating. There are 2 MTB rental operations there albeit one of them just does ebikes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

New pic of the trails up on the coillte facebook site...

Oh dear...

https://www.facebook.com/CoillteOutdoors

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    New pic of the trails up on the coillte facebook site...

Oh dear...

https://www.facebook.com/CoillteOutdoors

As one of the posters in fb says, it be nice if they posted photos of a downhill section for a change rather than climbing trails all the time.
    And to be fair the trail and surrounds look well built and will be nice once the greenery comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

prunudo wrote: »
    As one of the posters in fb says, it be nice if they posted photos of a downhill section for a change rather than climbing trails all the time.
    And to be fair the trail and surrounds look well built and will be nice once the greenery comes back.

Yeap, terrible photo, looks like a new walking trail, defo not a MTB trail..

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Taken from that FB page:https://www.facebook.com/CoillteOutdoors/photos/pb.189960274370069.-2207520000.1563267117./2611569795542426/?type=3&theater

Niall Davis "To all the DH, Enduro and advanced riders out there, the trails in this first phase are not intended to impress or suit your needs. They are absolute beginner friendly blue grade XC trails. The bpi crew are doing sweet work here and will hopefully have something to your liking in the future"

I know Niall is involved and he's right in what he's saying about that photo not being aimed at intermediate or experienced riders. But its pretty annoying to see all this public money being used and all we get are photo op and back slapping for creating so called mtb trails.
    Reality is they're doing nothing for promoting tougher or even slightly technical trails and the powers that be are sitting idly by as the likes of BPI remain closed due to crippling insurance costs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Was it not saying that first phase was intended to be beginner friendly and later phases would suit more advanced people?

Was it not saying that first phase was intended to be beginner friendly and later phases would suit more advanced people?

I get that, but same in Sligo, Ballinastoe and Ticknock. All designed as beginner trails with promises of more advanced stuff in time. And i know there's enduro and unofficial stuff to be found all over the country but as I said its annoying to see money being spent on stuff while nothing for red, black, jump or even pump trails and the places like BPI who provide trails for the advanced riders aren't getting any help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭covey123

Fairmount Farm and bpi mentioned there,so are the folks there having an input?If so, I'd put any worries to one side

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

prunudo wrote: »
    I get that, but same in Sligo, Ballinastoe and Ticknock. All designed as beginner trails with promises of more advanced stuff in time. And i know there's enduro and unofficial stuff to be found all over the country but as I said its annoying to see money being spent on stuff while nothing for red, black, jump or even pump trails and the places like BPI who provide trails for the advanced riders aren't getting any help.

I understand where you're coming from. However, when public money is being spent, there's an obligation to ensure that value for money is attained. And one of the ways you do that is ensure the facility is accessible to the widest section of the public. Whatever the outcry now, can you imagine what it would be like if they did it the other way around, and built something first that was only usable by a small core of advanced riders?

Whatever the outcry now, can you imagine what it would be like if they did it the other way around, and built something first that was only usable by a small core of advanced riders?

Exactly,DYFI bike park just opened but all expert trails so far, looks amazing but inaccessible to the masses,yours truly included.I could see Dan Atherton doing this to make it a world renowned centre,with all the publicity top riders that will no doubt be featured riding it,but to appeal to the masses,and justify public money being spent,it has to be down to the numbers attracted that can use the facility

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

covey123 wrote: »
    Exactly,DYFI bike park just opened but all expert trails so far, looks amazing but inaccessible to the masses,yours truly included.I could see Dan Atherton doing this to make it a world renowned centre,with all the publicity top riders that will no doubt be featured riding it,but to appeal to the masses,and justify public money being spent,it has to be down to the numbers attracted that can use the facility

Just to be anal with a point of note: Dfyi bike park was apparently entirely self-funded, so no public money nor can we really claim it to have been aimed at anyone less than expert level skills given who its creator is. Apples & Oranges.

Lemming wrote: »

Just to be anal with a point of note: Dfyi bike park was apparently entirely self-funded, so no public money nor can we really claim it to have been aimed at anyone less than expert level

That's the point I'm making, because there was no public money involved,he had free reign,but if there had been public backing, like there is in Slieve Bloom,I couldn't see how the more difficult level trails,that could only be ridden by a smaller percentage of bikers would get sanctioned to be built first

This thread is nearly a year old and all we have to show is 4km of green trail. It be nice if they built more technical trails in conjunction with the blues/greens, I'd just be afraid that they'll be put on the long finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i think the issue is that any official trails built in Ireland generally cater to pure beginners and thats the end of it, they can all spout on about plans to bring more advanced trails in but it never happens, which is why BPI and the GAP are so popular with people who are past the beginner stage.
    I am excited to see more trails happening but they need to start creating a wider variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

covey123 wrote: »
    That's the point I'm making, because there was no public money involved,he had free reign,but if there had been public backing, like there is in Slieve Bloom,I couldn't see how the more difficult level trails,that could only be ridden by a smaller percentage of bikers would get sanctioned to be built first

I think you have just stated (accidentally) the argument to never bother with such trails because "why bother? Only a small number of people will ever ride them". That sort of thinking is why over the decades - and not just for cycling - the country has so often been given mediocrity and told to be grateful for it because "shure t'is better than nothing".

Edit: I'll frame the above thoughts in the wider stated vision of having a trail centre network to rival the likes of the Seven Stains in Scotland.

Getting green & blue trails down first I fully understand; and from a pure pragmatism side of things; they'd be the least awkward to build. But we have a situation now where, to reference the officialdom quote steamsey posted earlier, the words "hopefully, "something", and "in the future" in the same sentence are offered for anything more advanced than beginner level participation. Whilst I can also appreciate that phrasing may not quite have been intended in such a manner, the choice of words doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence given that we have no other information (such as tentative time-frames even) by way of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I think there are enough people around now, well past beginner stages, to justify building official advanced trails.

We also need a national trail grading system. Somehow - "Afterburner" on Ticknock is black.......a few rocks seem to warrant a black. We need to raise the bar significantly.

I was listening to a podcast recently on Scottish MTB and how well it's doing - the key point they were making was that Scotland has a National MTB Strategy - everything is considered in light of the overall strategy to develop the sport. They have specific plans - for example to have X number of MTB pros by 20XX etc etc. Perhaps that is what is missing in Ireland, unless there is a National Strategy that's tucked away somewhere....??

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-podcast/podcast-how-mountain-biking-is-being-developed-in-scotland/

We do have a Rural Regeneration and Development Fund - which is what was used for Slieve Bloom - but look what it has produced.

As a country, we should be much more aggressive about developing outdoor sports in general, but specifically MTB of course!

• Advertisement
Advertisement