Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

where to get me a cargo bike

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It was in the Netherlands sorry.

Still looking around though. Ideally I'd spend under 5k and the only thing in that range seems to be the Cube. I'm still considering the Carqon, Urban Arrow and a few others. Riese & Müller really look great but once you add rain cover etc you are probably over 8k

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruadh

Thanks, I was hopeful I was missing something and there was a dealer here. Ah well.

I'm testing the Butcher & Bicycles, Riese & Muller and Urban Arrow at the end of the month with Greenaer. Really looking forward to test driving them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

I presume others get a comments from random passers-by when out and about? I had the two small children in the front when a woman on the footpath engaged me in conversation. She closed with a roar as I was cycling off: "you should cover it in yellow, them cars don't care. The bigger the car the bigger the bastard!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Still waiting on Delivery. Might be 2023 at this stage for the Workcycles FR8 RWD

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

She's not wrong with her comment in fairness!

Most days I do, people asking about it, surprised how much it can carry. Good few people ask where I got it.

Did the Waterford Greenway in Aug and could hear practically every kid I passed say "wow" or "that looks cool".

I did have a family member comment on how I should be better lit up, so I decided to take that to heart and I picked up some LED strips

Does anyone here have the Cube Cargo Hybrid?

I've been looking around and it looks like the best value (seems to be about 4799 online but I'd definitely be buying one of these from a shop in case of issues)

Also how important is it to go with a hub gear and belt drive as opposed to a derailleur? I have road and gravel bikes so I at least know how to clean and oil a chain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,804 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Very early on I had two women carry on a very loud conversation between themselves for my benefit about how unsafe cargo bikes are (I was waiting to cross from a traffic island they were also on; can't remember whether kids were with me). One commuter cyclist years later when I was cycling home, kids not with me, pulled up beside me and said, fairly amicably, in what was maybe a German accent, "I'm sorry, those things aren't safe", and he seemed genuinely surprised when I replied that I didn't ask for his opinion. And one old guy walking his dog in D4 called over to me on the road to say another variation on "those things aren't safe", and I told him to fck off; much more blunt than I normally would be.

Other than those three, very positive interactions, very frequently. Mostly people who are a bit curious, some thinking about getting one. Some questions about safety, but asking my experience rather than giving me a lecture based on their own preconceptions.

I've had a look around some of the main brands trying to compare cost (RRP based on the EU sites of each company, you can possibly find or negotiate discounts elsewhere)

To compare like with like as much as possible, I have gone for belt drive & internal hub gearing, and in all cases I have gone for Bosch Cargo Line motor (I think only the Bullitt doesn't offer this as they use Shimano motors but I've gone for the higher spec motor), and a single 500wh battery. I have added a rain cover and where necessary a double child seat and seat belts. I haven't yet included other add ons I'd probably need like a rack and maxi cosi holder.

Below the prices in case interesting to anyone

• Carqon Cruise 6388
    • Urban Arrow Family 6889
    • Cube Cargo Hybrid 6197
    • Riese & Muller Load 60 7758
    • Riese & Muller Packster 70 8849
    • Bullitt Larry vs Harry 6952

Interested to hear any experiences on these (it would be for a creche run with a baby in the beginning so would need to be something that takes a baby seat). Once you add the basics that most people would need, prices suddenly look more similar (and more expensive!). It's only Riese & Muller that I'd probably leave out for cost reasons

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Juat seen the Cube Cargo hybrid advert and burst into laughter. First I thought it was a "look at all it can do" type ad and then at the last minute he realises what going to the party will lead too so he goes for beers on his own in the park rather than go to the party.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra6J2h0IYck

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,397 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone have experience with e-cargo trikes? Herself doesnt drive and cant cycle a regular bicycle so is thinking of a caro trike for ferrying the little fella around.

I've been researching a little and the Butchers & Bicycles MK1-E Gen3 has caught my eye, although the price is eye watering.

I'm a little scared at the the thought of her and the little fella cycling around a town with pretty crap cycle infrastructure (Castlebar) but I am intrigued at the same time and would likely use it myself not to mention it would be good for us both not to have to rely on me to drive them everywhere.

• Advertisement

Opinions will differ on this, but we have a Maxi Cosi car seat and for short journeys we'd wedge the car seat in the cargo bucket. It didn't shift during normal cycling, and I wasn't mixing with fast traffic so felt safe enough. Widened our criteria a lot not looking for a bike with a mount (though you would need to check the load size).

I'm sure some will say it's irresponsible, but for us and the few short journeys we made in built-up areas, it was fine.

I've mentioned elsewhere, I find the edit: trailer gets a lot of space from drivers when out and about on the road. I haven't had a single close pass on it, despite having to get up a steep hill out of the local village - I think most people are aware there are probably kid(s) on board and are patient.

Edit: the cargo bike is fine, but I don't think it's as obvious from behind with a passing glance from behind a windscreen that there are children on board.

Post edited by buffalo on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Although I didn't have a trike I did find people gave me more space when I was pulling a trailer when compared to my two wheeled cargobike, makes things much more obvious and you have no choice but to take the lane with a trailer more so then a two wheeler.

You've made me realise that I mixed up the cargo bike and the trailer! Trailer gets lots of space, cargo bike is more 'normal'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I use a maxi cosi in a Buillit, but I adapted it to take the seat, so it was secured well at a number of points. I've got the canopy as well.

I've had nothing but positive comments from people about it. To be honest, I can't see how it's less safe than a kid on the back of a bike. But maybe the same people would complain about that as well.

Yeah, to be fair, I've had three irritating interactions in over 40000km of travel on the cargo bike, so it's negligible really.

Im dealing with a very sceptical wife who will be doing an inspection before we are allowed out on the road - so planning on something out of the box to try to convince her. She's probably the one who was making the comments above about them being unsafe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Doesn’t the urban arrow have an optional extra adapter for a maxi cosi?

• Advertisement

It does - as does the Carqon. Not sure about any of the others, I'd imagine the Riese & Müller might have something too

How would she feel about a kid in a seat on the back of a bike? Cause I wouldn't do that myself. Feel much safer with her in front of me, down low, with a protective cage of sorts.

There's also isofix adapters that you can buy, that can bolt fit to bikes. I've seen them discussed on some of the Bullitt groups. I didn't want the extra weight of the base, which is why I fixed the seat directly.

Bike is getting built this week. Should have it before 2023.

Never spent so long pondering over buying a bike (and trust me I've bought 25+, 8 of which I still own!)

I've narrowed it down to these (almost excluding the RM), but others still in the running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeoD

I have a R&M Load 75 for nearly a year now (2,300km) and I've had 4 spokes break in the back wheel. Everything else about the bike is great but the breaking spokes I think is unacceptable. Would avoid for this reason.

(Edit: Have only done 2,300km instead of 3,300km at stated in op)

Post edited by LeoD on

• Advertisement

Thanks - I've ruled it out on cost anyway.

I'm down to a choice between picking the most practical option (in which case I would probably go for Carqon based on value and spec - other options being Urban Arrow and Cube) and the one which rides best (which for now is the Bullitt). I will continue test rides and make a decision before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 37 osiri

Hi Cabaal, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the LED strips? And are they hooked up to the battery or do they have their own power supply? I got an electric Bakfiets from the DBS in August as well, great piece of kit.

Thanks.

I got these, https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07S2QJ4NC for about 16euro.

They come with AA battery packs, BUT they also have USB connections so I connect them to usb powerbanks that I use for charging phones etc, The light strip on the box will run down quicker because there's more of them but I recon the back light strip would likely get a good 15hours plus out of the powerbank I'm using.

You likely could wire both into the bike's electrics but I don't think I'd be comfortable doing it myself.

Does anyone here have the Cube Cargo? A dealer near me will give me the display bike (0km) for 4700. With the seats and rain cover it comes to 5200€ which is much closer to the 5000 I had in mind to spend when I first started looking (this would be with Cargoline motor, Enviolo hub but chain instead of belt, 500wh battery). This is compared to 5988 for the equivalent in Carqon, or 6889 for the Urban Arrow.

The Bullitt is still my preferred choice from my extensive test rides, but it is just a bit on the costly side when you have so many add ons to make it child friendly.

Search over - I'm now the proud owner of this.

Grateful if anyone has tips or experiences. I'm still getting used to the size, I've done most of my riding around town on a Brompton for the last three years.

The main thing I haven't figured out yet is how to attach a baby seat - ideally without drilling. There are holes in the box but there doesn't seem to be an official Cube maxi cosi adapter. I have a six month old so she's bit small for the seats. I haven't yet found a conclusive answer online on what will work best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 osiri

Congrats on the new bike! I used tie downs to strap a maxi cosi in and also used the baby/toddler seats you can buy that use existing seat belts or seat belt holes and I was very happy with how both worked! See below for an idea of the set up on my old non electric cargo:

I don't think I've asked here: does anyone know a store that supplies bakfiets stand feet caps? I can find them in online Dutch stores but they don't export. Dutch Bike Shop don't list them; only Babboe.

The top left in this image:

Might be worth asking bakfiets who the supplier is for the stand gripper or part no? I did this for a Workcycles for a rubber spoiler for a very wide mudguard and was then able to find exact part number on www.bike-components.de

Ah, that's a very practical suggestion, thanks!

(Sorry to hear that you're still waiting.)

Worth checking https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/ ?

They do ship to Ireland, have bought panniers and a trailer off them last year

Also, worth calling DBS about the parts and not just going on the website (assuming you've not called them)

Post edited by Cabaal on

Yeah, I should at least email the Dutch Bike Shop. I just haven't always gotten a reply in the past, and I feel a bit pushy emailing them more than once, so apart from ordering tyres off them, I've been sticking to what they specifically mention on the website.

I haven't vocalized my though process on this till now, and it seems a bit flimsy, now I do.

Sorry missed when ya said this earlier

"I can find them in online Dutch stores but they don't export."

Can ya post a link of this?

I'd def ring them, have found sometimes they aren't super at responding to emails

They've def replaced the stands before for people, I suspect they'd either have the parts you want or can source them

Was a while ago I looked it up, but I'll have a go later at finding them again.

• Advertisement

I bought some bits from them earlier this year, and just rang the number and they were very helpful. Ended up meeting them at their storage unit to have a look at a few items to confirm they were what I wanted. I'd say as long as you don't come across as a timewaster, they'll do whatever they can to get you the item.

Looking like mid April 2023. Wait time is double what I said back in early June 2022. Glad I ordered when I did.

Dutch Bike Shop got replacement rubber feet for the stand of my bakfiets. Just in case anyone wanted closure on that story.

I should have specified I wanted four, because I ended up with two, but it worked out fine, because the two front feet wear out much faster than the rear, because they take the weight during parking and unparking. I'll replace all four in the distant future.

Still waiting, strong chance will be 1yr since ordering. Some issue with the supply of the NEODRIVE LED display unit on the FR8 e-bike

Starting to feel the weight of hauling two kids when going up hills but apart from that the regular FR8 bike is still going strong without any issues after 3 years of constant use.

Still waiting, 1k deposit on this over a year now and no sign of it. Anybody have any direct dealings with Workcycles? They seem to be giving the LBS Dealer here in Ireland the run around who now wants to wash there hands of them. Any tips bar flying over to Amsterdam mid week? (no response via Phone or email - https://workcycles.com/contact/)

That's an awful long time, especially when you've put down such a big deposit.

I haven't had any dealings with Workcycles, or know anyone who has had dealings with them. I see them mentioned online all the time, and nothing negative in that, but covid-related supply issues seem to have worked their way through the global system for everyone else by now.

I am kind of gutted, maybe I have been too patient, been sending emails to the LBS every 3/4 weeks asking for updates in the last 3/4 months; prior to that was every 3 months. Knew from start was going to be min 6 months. Bought bike from them 3 years ago and there were no issues, was delivered in 3 months. The bike is fantastic, ZERO issues in 3 years of constant use. Need to have an electric one really come this September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Would you just put an ebike kit on your current bike?

My Workcycles Fr8 – American Fietser (home.blog)

Post edited by Ferris on

• Advertisement

Ya thought of that. Bike I have not really ideal for it though. It has roller brakes, time is more of an issue to be honest.

They answer this query here https://workcycles.com/f-a-q/workcycles-fr8-faq/

and did come across this good blog a few years back about how to go about doing the conversion

https://americanfietser.home.blog/2019/06/28/my-workcycles-fr8/

Advertisement