Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get me a cargo bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I don't, but look like a cool bike. Pricy though. Read a fair bit about them, seen to be very highly specced. Think Dutch bike shop have or can them. Not seen one in the flesh. Also do a kr8 which is more typically bakfiets type bike

kenmc wrote: »
    I don't, but look like a cool bike. Pricy though. Read a fair bit about them, seen to be very highly specced.

True - but depends on how many years/mileage get out of it.
    Considering getting it on Bike To Work 2020. Need a child transport option for the last 1km of 10/11km work commute + for other activities at the weekends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

any welders on the forum?

I only saw this the other day and it's the next project :D It might be very heavy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

Hi All,

I have boys under 2 years and their mother is heading back to work. We'll have two to drop to creche an I'm thinking a cargo bike is the way to go.

Journey to creche is about 1km then I have 6km spin to work. I could spin back and grab my commuter to make the work spin a bit easier as it's into town and then back up the hill but not too bad.
    I'm a fairly experienced cyclist so I would be comfortable enough handling the bike.
    E-bike not required with the distance I need.
    Side passage to my house is <800mm so cant get a trike or double width.

Thanks
    Oh and if you are selling one I would be interested too.

rcklap wrote: »
    Hi All,

I have boys under 2 years and their mother is heading back to work. We'll have two to drop to creche an I'm thinking a cargo bike is the way to go.

Journey to creche is about 1km then I have 6km spin to work. I could spin back and grab my commuter to make the work spin a bit easier as it's into town and then back up the hill but not too bad.
    I'm a fairly experienced cyclist so I would be comfortable enough handling the bike.

Thanks

i would just plan to do the 6km on the cargo bike. gives you more options and less hassle having to go back and switch bikes.

personally, id go for a bullitt, but im biased :) budget is the big constraint so do you have a $$$ figure in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hi All,

Thanks

If it’s only 1km, would a double up trailer make more sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

There's a creche near me where someone drops their kids off in a trailer, then locks the trailer at the creche.
    They can then cycle the rest of the way to work unencumbered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

site_owner wrote: »
    i would just plan to do the 6km on the cargo bike. gives you more options and less hassle having to go back and switch bikes.

personally, id go for a bullitt, but im biased :) budget is the big constraint so do you have a $$$ figure in mind?

I drop my children off to school and then cycle to work on the cargo bike (bakfiets)

A trailer would be cheaper, but you'll get more long-term use out of a cargo bike. I'm still using it for a 9yo and 7yo. I'll keep using until the handling goes weird under the weight, or they're too embarrassed to continue. I suspect the latter will come first.

I was talking to a guy the other day who was thinking about getting a cargo bike because he reckons his 6yo is getting too big for the trailer. So I guess, based on that, you migh get four or so years out of a trailer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Hi All,

Thanks

Will be selling a Taga 2 bike with e-assist soon. It comes with with 2 seats, full rain canopy, plus other accessories and 3 new tyres (spare) . My wife used if for crech run for out daughter but she is over 6 now and tall so about to outgrow soon. Pm if you want more details.

Just see your 800mm restriction. Will measure Taga width and confirm also.

I can get the bakfiets through my sidegate. The box is as wide as the handlebars, so as wide as a wide set of handlebars (these are the dimensions for the short-base and long-base version):

496345.png

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭rcklap

Thanks all,

A rear trailer is out of the question I'm afraid, wife not happy if she can't see them and that's cool.

I could see myself cycling the cargo all the way into work perhaps but there is a mahoooosive ramp into the car park so it could be a tricky one.

Yes the bakfiets would definitely fit but the babboe double or trike version will not.

Is the Taga a double width, wider than 750mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Thanks all,

A rear trailer is out of the question I'm afraid, wife not happy if she can't see them and that's cool.

I could see myself cycling the cargo all the way into work perhaps but there is a mahoooosive ramp into the car park so it could be a tricky one.

Yes the bakfiets would definitely fit but the babboe double or trike version will not.

Yes, not being able to see them is a super valid point. Forgot that.

Maybe you could borrow one for awhile and see how it works? I have a Bullitt but it’s not set up for kids anymore. I got it back when Larry Vs Harry basically screwed a seatbelt into a wooden box. It’s advanced since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Thanks all,

I measured the front door at 780mm and Taga front wheels needed to be turned to get in the door so it is just a bit wider than 780mm. I can do a proper measurement tomorrow.

Here is a link to the bike details to give an idea of what it is like.

https://youtu.be/CG3UKQ6RBRE

get a good test ride of anything you plan to buy if youre heart is not fully set on it. certain brands have enough online following (e.g, bullitt or urban arrow) that you will pretty much know what you are getting before you even sit on it.

but more unusual brands and especially trikes are harder to nail down.

the bullitt is very much a racier bike that happens to be able to carry 200kg, and the more popular bakfiets would feel like a dutch city bike that happens to also carry heacy loads. but there others are more like prams or wheelbarrows that happen to have a pedals attached. its a big investment and a slow resale if you dont like it or use it as much as you planned, especially if its a brand that doesnt have a following.

personally, i would never have gone for a trike, although now that i have a bullitt i sometimes think about adding one as an alternative or if i need to carry more than 5 or more kids comfortably or regularly. trikes by design are front heavy and like to tip over when stopped or flip in bends. the more expensive ones with tilting frames are better at avoiding this, but are expensive and its not hard to find stories of failed suspension or braking systems

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114507199#post114507199

Cross posting this here, I am looking to sell my Bullitt canopy. If anyone knows of a better source of cargo bike users (facebook groups maybe?) I would appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Facebook: cycling parents in Ireland. There's also a cargo bikes group too I think

Have this about 4 months now - if anybody has querys about such a vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Have been thinking about a cargo bike for about a year. 2 wheeler, I tried out the 3 wheelers found them very rigid.

Has anyone made/built one here? Been keeping an eye for 2nd hand but still quite pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

tomasrojo wrote: »

Thanks.

I was actually reading that earlier.

I have a bakfiets, which is, apart from the saddle and pedals (and, obviously, given high usage, inner cables, tubes and tyres), as it left the shop.

If you're not absolutely committed to a self-build, it might be a good option. It is probably the cheapest of the good ones, and you can knock a few hundred off the price if you do the bike-to-work scheme to buy it. I think the Dutch Bike Shop are the only people doing them now, since Greenaer went all-electric.

Interesting old cargo bike, on the road for 50 odd years.
    https://twitter.com/GalwayCycling/status/1349652445941682176

Seems to have direct drive with modest-sized wheel. Wonder whether there's a mechanism in the hub to allow the wheel to rotate at a differen rate from the front wheel.

Anyway, worth a post!

I'm looking for some advice about getting a Bullitt Bike. Right now, I'm wondering if anyone who is self employed has bought one for their work?
    Am I correct to assume I can write it off at a rate of 12.5% of the cost, over 8 years?

Selling my longtail cargo if anyone is looking for one

https://touch.adverts.ie/hybrid-bikes/kona-ute-18-long-tail-cargo-bike/23618574

Decided to go for the Bullitt bike in dark navy "Moondog".
    Really want the yellow, but don't want "Bollocks" on the top tube.

Two month waiting list, possibly more.:(

• Advertisement

Not having much luck getting the Bullitt.
    Larry vs Harry lost my order when they changed systems, told me to just start over and order again.
    Now they want full payment up front, but can't deliver bike until 2022.
    Rethinking buying one of their bikes now.

Advertisement