Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Graces7 wrote: »

Never before in my years here in Ireland have I needed to light fires in March. Needing to tail them off. But chilly indeed.

We've had loads of cold March's in the past decade :confused:

It hasn't been too bad a month here so far, we've had our customary weekend washouts but lots of sunshine and nice clear evenings during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

Gonzo wrote: »
    this has to be one of the longest and wettest zonal patterns we have ever had. Since 20th of September we have been hammered with rain and wind and very little alteration in temperatures. Probably no more than 11 or 12 dry days since then over a 6 month period!

Was the Autumn/Winter/Spring of 2012/2013 not similar to this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tanko wrote: »

it was a wet period but I don't remember as much rain or as long lasting as this. A six to seven month continuous run of westerlies on a conveyor belt of low pressures is fairly extreme even for us. Usually we get a break every 3 or 4 months with proper high pressure or a total change in wind direction, even if it's just for one or two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gonzo wrote: »
    it was a wet period but I don't remember as much rain or as long lasting as this. A six to seven month continuous run of westerlies on a conveyor belt of low pressures is fairly extreme even for us. Usually we get a break every 3 or 4 months with proper high pressure or a total change in wind direction, even if it's just for one or two weeks.

I think my hairline has actually receded from cycling against gales every bleedin' morning. Or maybe it's old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I almost hate to mention it but after a few days of computer says yes/no/yes/no it now says yes for a settled spell developing around the 17th onwards

To quote "Alice"; "Jam yesterday, Jam tomorrow, but never Jam today.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We've had loads of cold March's in the past decade :confused:

It hasn't been too bad a month here so far, we've had our customary weekend washouts but lots of sunshine and nice clear evenings during the week

Out here it adds windchill; or just old age making me feel colder. Fact remains I have never in 20 years needed a fire in March before. it is bitter in that wind

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

tanko wrote: »

There was a fair few easterlies and northerlies in that period (and March 2013 almost universally either of those). This has been a very zonal period by definition and northerlies have been lacking, never mind the easterlies. Closest we’ve had to northerlies is northwesterlies which we see every other winter in cold sectors of fronts. Every winter on average should see a northerly toppler or two.... I struggle to recall anything from this season.

If you were to look at the charts in terms of wind direction from 4th December onwards, there’d be very little variation and you’d fall asleep after the first few frames. All thanks to our best friend, Mr. Polar Vortex :rolleyes: .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Orange - Wind warning for Donegal

Southwest winds veering west to northwest will reach mean wind speeds of 60 to 75km/h with gusts of 100 to 120km/h. 

Due to a combination of waves, spring tides and surge, the possibility of coastal flooding is increased on Thursday.

Valid: 08:00 Thursday 12/03/2020 to 12:00 Thursday 12/03/2020

Issued: 13:00 Wednesday 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Heavy sleet falling currently in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

No name with orange warning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

What a day. Breezy at times but a balmy 13c when the suns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Remember March 2015, I think just after Patrick's day it was in the 20s . Probably the best march I remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Orange and Yellow warnings out, no thread? Too much Corona :rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yup. Even ninja sleet here.

But everyone's virus obsessed

Stick to weather lads.

It's way less stressful

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Noticeable snow falling this last 10 minutes, heavy but not sticking.
    S Sligo 152m asl

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Louth, Meath, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo and Clare

Southwest winds veering west to northwest will reach mean wind speeds of 50 to 65km/h and gusts of 80 to 110km/h. 

Due to a combination of waves, spring tides and surge, the possibility of coastal flooding is increased along western and northwestern coasts on Thursday.

Valid: 04:00 Thursday 12/03/2020 to 18:00 Thursday 12/03/2020

Issued: 13:00 Wednesday 11/03/2020

3pm
    Knock airport reporting a light shower of snow. Temperature and dew point zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

A sleety shower here in North Kilkenny, mostly rain but there are ice bits in it on the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very squally hail here in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

pad199207 wrote: »
    Very squally hail here in Kildare now

Rain with a rumble of thunder here in Dublin 5.

• Advertisement

Snowing at Knock , temperature and dew point zero. Sleet turning to Snow here in Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

It’s sticking......ish.
    S Sligo 152m asl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Well, that's all she wrote. Gym was only escape from the endless, the truly endless, eternal rain and wind these past few months. That's gone now thanks to the virus. Can't even go on a break outside of the country without risking it. Up **** creek without a paddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Wouldn't be surprised to see a few flakes overnight. Nothing special but i'd take it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

pauldry wrote: »
    Yup. Even ninja sleet here.

But everyone's virus obsessed

Stick to weather lads.

It's way less stressful

If only events like Ophelia or Storm Emma were the biggest threats to all of us now.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I can do two disasters at once :P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I can do two disasters at once :P

If it wasn't for the Covid-19 there would be a thread on the go! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The GFS is going for some sort of easterly in fi, who knows we could end up with a snow storm to rival April 1917 yet. Some of us live in hope:D

Meanwhile a couple of heavy sleet showers in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

The GFS is going for some sort of easterly in fi, who knows we could end up with a snow storm to rival April 1917 yet. Some of us live in hope:D

Meanwhile a couple of heavy sleet showers in the last hour.

I was just saying to myself for the past day, don't let nacho libre see the GFS :P especially yesterday's 06z run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Snowing Galway city, did not expect this at all. Haven't been keeping to forecasts here.

Advertisement