Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Lovely day today, usually stuck at work on weekdays and all our weekends have been a washout recently so this is the first day I've been outside (totally not dossing from work!) and felt some real warmth. Trees and bushes starting to bud as well, hopefully we've seen the back of winter now

We will more than likely soon see an end to the conveyor belt of lows, it will then be dry and pleasant for a few days , but we could end up with a cool and mainly dry easterly towards the end of March, if the high over us moves over towards Scandinavia- this may happen now that the Monster Polar Vortex, which has plaugued us all winter, is in decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

Apparently all weather is cancelled until further notice due to the Coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rotten day in Cork City. Cold heavy rain. Shannon radar down it seems so can't see anything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭giveitholly

pauldry wrote: »
    Apparently all weather is cancelled until further notice due to the Coronavirus

Except the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

We will more than likely soon see an end to the conveyor belt of lows, it will then be dry and pleasant for a few days , but we could end up with a cool and mainly dry easterly towards the end of March, if the high over us moves over towards Scandinavia- this may happen now that the Monster Polar Vortex, which has plaugued us all winter, is in decline.

Yes, the upper strat Polar Vortex looks to be weakening because of a minor warming event. However, the lower strat Polar Vortex (closer to the troposphere) is set to remain active for the foreseeable future. Last thing we need is cold weather, besides rain and wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yes, the upper strat Polar Vortex looks to be weakening because of a minor warming event. However, the lower strat Polar Vortex (closer to the troposphere) is set to remain active for the foreseeable future. Last thing we need is cold weather, besides rain and wind.

The whole Polar Vortex should be naturally declinining soon any way. As you say let's hope we don't get blocking in its wake that leads to a long period of unseasonably cold, and wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lovely drop of sunshine out here in the ocean. Fresh chill breeze . Dry.. shhh!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Looks like the usual windy sh*te next week. Was it not meant to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

sryanbruen wrote: »

What does this mean? Are we likely to continue on this conveyor belt of rain and storms for a further period into March? Excuse my ignorance in these matters but I had hoped that we were beginning to see an end to this horrible weather - does the lower strat PV impact on our weather in a similar manner as the upper strat PV? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lovely out there in North County Dublin.Means my little boy can play outside in the back for a while once wellies are on.

At least gives me a chance to catch up on some work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,536 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Looks like the usual windy sh*te next week. Was it not meant to change?

High pressure was looking to be followed on from a northerly toppler on Sunday but now, a weak ridge from the Azores High will build into the south later in the day. Rain will push in from the Atlantic later on Monday and lie over the country on Paddy's Day before an anticyclone from the west will squeeze the life out of this low producing the rain. Wednesday is the transition day. The change is still well and truly on but a bit delayed compared to what was forecast a few days ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lovely day here in Meath, dry and sunny at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Really nice in Kildare today. Walks along the canal today we’re perfect. Can really feel the sunshine now.

Give me any good weather now please just to take my mind off this latest crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Became a dirty evening here though

Another utterly still silent morning. Lovely! A great pleasure is the lack of wind...

Sowed seeds y'day so we are headed for summer. Indoors, but the promise and the hope are there. Started clearing flowerbeds..

Not impressed by the forecast, but we live for the moment.

West Mayo all at sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A damp start to the day here in Castlebar with the rain now turning more persistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Finally some positive news on the met eireann outlook

Wednesday to Sunday, inclusive: Cold, but mainly dry, with sunny spells by day. A few scattered showers will occur in northern and northwestern coastal areas on Wednesday and Thursday, some possibly wintry. Colder than normal, with maximum daytime temperatures of 6 to 9 Celsius and frosty nights. Winds mostly light to moderate, west to northwest, on Wednesday, veering northwest on Thursday and becoming easterly or variable towards the weekend.

Heavy rain and strong winds.. cold.. west mayo .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Not too sure that too many are too concerned about the weather at present unless another storm happens. Other events have become more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,163 ✭✭✭✭km79

Not too sure that too many are too concerned about the weather at present unless another storm happens. Other events have become more important.

Weather will be important. 2/3/4 weeks of being locked up if the weather is poor will be very detrimental to mental health and make people make bad decisions !
    Nice weather will make this more manageable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The weather is a tricky one, in terms of virus containment, a wave of warm sunny weather would be the worst possible thing to get at the moment. Keep the weather wet and windy I say, keep people inside.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The weather is a tricky one, in terms of virus containment, a wave of warm sunny weather would be the worst possible thing to get at the moment. Keep the weather wet and windy I say, keep people inside.

If the weather is fine and people have the option to go out into their own garden restrictions are more likely to be restricted (I know everyone doesn’t live in the country though /have a garden )
    If the weather was a sustained period of this people will literally crack up and say fk this I’m going into town/pub or whatever
    A mixed bad is prob best !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Many parents are hoping for a change to drier weather so children can at least get outside to the garden during their enforced holiday from school. At least cold dry weather allows them out with a coat and hat.
    Likewise an awful lot of us want a sense of normality and need to get outside doing gardening, painting etc. rather than moping inside looking out at rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yes, but the problem is the large portion of parents who don't take it seriously and simply let everyone run around with their friends.

Yes, but the problem is the large portion of parents who don't take it seriously and simply let everyone run around with their friends.

They’lljust invite them over and play indoors instead !
    The weather cant cure stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 10,538 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Inside, like groups of teenagers gathering in shopping centres? I'd rather a dry spell where at least responsible parents can let their children play outside - fresh air, exercise...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

A corona virus is not affected by the weather. This is the 3rd in recent memory and the previous 2 grew through all types of weather. People think that when the weather gets warm Covid 19 will disappear. Well it’s petty warm/scorching in the ME all year and MERS spread just fine over there.

Now I am seeing that wind could blow it away😀

Anyway, any nice weather on the way lads?.
    At least I can get to the park and play footy with the kids. Sick of this rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another Saturday another washout...

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Clearance has reached this part of Mayo after a few miserable hours of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Does anyone talk about the weather any more???

Advertisement