Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing bed sheets

Options
  • 17-03-2021 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Just finished changing the bed sheet and duvet covers. Is there a more painful household chore!!

We've a really heavy king size duvet on a double bed because we like it hanging over the sides a bit, but.. with big duvet comes big responsibility :D

I can never get it right, always bunches up somewhere that won't shake out.

I go through this about once a week. How often do you all change your bed clothing?

Comments

It's a 2 minute job.

Sheets inside out to start and pinch the corners, bobs your uncle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

It's a 2 minute job.

Sheets inside out to start and pinch the corners, bobs your uncle

2 minutes!!!!

The spare bed has a much lighter duvet, and it's grand, takes 5 mins total prob. The main bed has a big heavy duvet and it's a task I can tell ya.

Standard double size duvet much easier too. This thing is too big for the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Just finished changing the bed sheet and duvet covers. Is there a more painful household chore!!

We've a really heavy king size duvet on a double bed because we like it hanging over the sides a bit, but.. with big duvet comes big responsibility :D

I go through this about once a week. How often do you all change your bed clothing?

I throw our really heavy super king duvet over the banister and hands in corners over the duvet and it just falls down over it. I do it every Sunday without fail

2 minutes!!!!

The spare bed has a much lighter duvet, and it's grand, takes 5 mins total prob. The main bed has a big heavy duvet and it's a task I can tell ya.

Standard double size duvet much easier too. This thing is too big for the bed.

Dunno what to tell ya. Maybe I'm just a bed sheet ninja 🥋

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If you keep making a balls of it you will never be asked again

Young men starting out on the long hard road of marriage take note

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It’s top of my chores I hate list. Id rather clean the toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 32,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Once a week too.
    Ah I don't really mind it tbh takes maybe 5 minutes pop in earphones and work away.

Once a week and same.. always bunches in the corners. My duvet is a light super king size and I have loads of king size duvet covers so I just shove them in to fit. Just keep smoothing it out and it's grand.

Best sleep the night you change the sheets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

1. Lay out duvet flat on bed in correct orientation.
    2. Locate top two corners of duvet cover.
    3. Turn duvet inside out holding onto these and grab top two corners of duvet and hold on.
    4. Shake duvet and it will all slide into place.
    5 . Adjust and button/zip closed.

Really easy once you know how!

If you’ve two people it’s way faster again as one just holds the corners & the other pulls the duvet cover into position.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

Every Sunday morning, cut my hair, change the bedsheets and clean the shower, takes about fifteen minutes all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I put the top two corners in first, hold it at those corners and give it a shake. Job done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

3 times a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

There is the easier "burrrito method" of putting a duvet inside it's cover. google it and put your problems to bed

The other tip btw is use flat sheets between you and the duvet. You shouldn’t really need to change the duvet covers every week.

Most American beds for example use multiple layers rather than a duvet and cover and they’re far easier to maintain as you can just wash the top and bottom sheet more frequently and do the other layers once in a while. It’s way less of an ordeal and they usually machine dry far more easily than a duvet cover.

Hotels also tend to do that too protect duvets.

I change the sheets on a Saturday. Strip the bed, put the washing on, then into the dryer, do loads of other washing and cleaning.

Then at bedtime you’ll always here me say “oh for ****s sake!”

I forget to make the bed again. Worst chore ever!

Do most people genuinely change the entire bed every week though?

I change the sheets on a Saturday. Strip the bed, put the washing on, then into the dryer, do loads of other washing and cleaning.

Then at bedtime you’ll always here me say “oh for ****s sake!”

I forget to make the bed again. Worst chore ever!

This is me. Pop on washing in the morning, forget about the bed til night, ah for fork sake the forkin bed sheeeeeets

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Pre covid we had a cleaner in either weekly or fortnightly for 2 hours to do the floors, bathrooms and oven. Included changing our big bed as its such a bitch (we can do the kids ourselves).

Cant wait till we can get them back- some will say this is lazy but it cost less than a Chinese takeaway for the family. Money well spent on our book.

No, I retain the bed frame, mattress and pillows. Just change the coverings for same.

I do. The odd time I'll let the duvet cover go another week. Sometimes change the sheets twice in one week if I ate something in bed and there's crumbs.

• Advertisement

Pre covid we had a cleaner in either weekly or fortnightly for 2 hours to do the floors, bathrooms and oven. Included changing our big bed as its such a bitch (we can do the kids ourselves).

Cant wait till we can get them back- some will say this is lazy but it cost less than a Chinese takeaway for the family. Money well spent on our book.

It’s awfully lazy. Imagine going to work and paying taxes on your earnings, only to pay someone to change your bedding for you, as an able bodied adult. Absolute laziness really.

Bedding changed weekly here without fail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

I use febreeze once a week on a Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

It's a ten-minute job. Doing it once a week is hardly a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

My 13 year old son tries to pull that sh*t on me. You're a novice if you wait until you're in a relationship!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Ok .... big argument in our family...

To Iron bed sheets and duvet covers or not to Iron?

Changing the bed is simple. Once a week and fresh laundered and IRONED sheets and duvet cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Solid advice, tried the inside out thing many times and just do not have the flexibility to do it. Worst chore, number 2 is ironing.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Speedline

My 13 year old son tries to pull that sh*t on me. You're a novice if you wait until you're in a relationship!

When we were children my older brother took to dropping a mug or plate when washing or drying the dishes. He did it one to many times and the auld wan leapt up and gave him a stiff beating, and told him he was doing the washing AND drying for a week.

He failed to realise my mother had 8 brothers and 6 sisters. She knew all the tricks. He never tried it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

NSAman wrote: »
    Ok .... big argument in our family...

To Iron bed sheets and duvet covers or not to Iron?

Changing the bed is simple. Once a week and fresh laundered and IRONED sheets and duvet cover.

I'm a no on that..... anytime I've seen anyone iron the sheets half the sheets are on the floor....for me anything touches the floor has to be washed again.

If I wasn't allergic to an iron at the best of times I might be tempted to iron the sheets when they are on the bed. Especially if it's a spare bed and not getting a weekly wash.

However ironed sheets take up alot less space in your press. So I can see the advantage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Speedline wrote: »
    When we were children my older brother took to dropping a mug or plate when washing or drying the dishes. He did it one to many times and the auld wan leapt up and gave him a stiff beating, and told him he was doing the washing AND drying for a week.

He failed to realise my mother had 8 brothers and 6 sisters. She knew all the tricks. He never tried it again.

I think that's illegal now :D

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement

I'm a no on that..... anytime I've seen anyone iron the sheets half the sheets are on the floor....for me anything touches the floor has to be washed again.

If I wasn't allergic to an iron at the best of times I might be tempted to iron the sheets when they are on the bed. Especially if it's a spare bed and not getting a weekly wash.

However ironed sheets take up alot less space in your press. So I can see the advantage there.

If I'm ironing them, I fold them and throw the iron over them like that.

Advertisement