Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jews can revive a dead language reserved for ceremonial purposes

Options
  • 05-06-2018 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

We can't revive our own language, and choose to speak the language of a nation that caused us 700 years of oppression

Why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

JohnKyle39 wrote: »
    We can't revive our own language, and choose to speak the language of a nation that caused us 700 years of oppression

Why?

What's your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,185 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why?

You know why they revived it, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

English in the No 1 business language of the world and it has been a huge advantage to our economy that we speak it here.

You can try to revive Irish all you like but what would be the point. It would just complicate things and English would never go away because of the status it has. I can't ever see Ireland becoming a multilingual country because we have such a bad attitude in this country to speaking even a second language just like in the UK where on the continent many Germans, French, Belgians speak a second or even third language.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

How would we communicate with the world if we only spoke irish.
    Tbh the standard of teaching of irish has to improve and the attitude towards it would need to change for any large numbers to be able to speak it fluently.
    After this years leaving cert irish exam is over how many would be able to genuinely hold a conversation in irish that didnt consist of learned off sentences thst, imo, is what the irish leaving consists of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnKyle39

AllForIt wrote: »
    English in the No 1 business language of the world and it has been a huge advantage to our economy that we speak it here.

You can try to revive Irish all you like but what would be the point. It would just complicate things and English would never go away because of the status it has. I can't ever see Ireland becoming a multilingual country because we have such a bad attitude in this country to speaking even a second language just like in the UK where on the continent many Germans, French, Belgians speak a second or even third language.

There is no excuse. Dutch, Icelandic, Catalan and countless other languages were banned and their countries brought them back and revived them.

We're lazy and cowards. It's pathetic how a country that was invaded for 800 years, it's people starved, abused and culturally raped just gives in so easy and abandons it's language even after we become independent. I could understand if we were still under British rule but we're not. There is no excuse.

The other European countries and EU members don't speak English and are getting on fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Irish needs to be taught properly in schools,After so many years of classes, we should all be fluent in it but we were never actually taught to use or speak it, pretty much memorize and recital only. Or reading completely out of date literature that nobody was interested or relevant to today

whereas french or German was also taught in schools, abit only a class or so a week, yet far more students could hold a conversation or at least ask basic questions and answers in french or german because we were taught using conversational and practical lessons.

I would love to be able to speak Irish as it is part of our culture, but I'm also happy to be fluent in english which is probably the most useful language to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is no excuse. Dutch, Icelandic, Catalan and countless other languages were banned and their countries brought them back and revived them.

We're lazy and cowards. It's pathetic how a country that was invaded for 800 years, it's people starved, abused and culturally raped just gives in so easy and abandons it's language even after we become independent. I could understand if we were still under British rule but we're not. There is no excuse.

The other European countries and EU members don't speak English and are getting on fine.

Lead by example then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It's that kind of attitude entwined into teaching the language that didn't help.

Lead by example then.

You can't with only one person speaking it genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,182 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There are millions of schoolkids in the EU learning English.
    The USA fought two wars against Britain to establish their independence... they speak English. They didnt feel the need to revert to Latin or adopt Cherokee.

Maybe people are able to separate language and history?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    It's that kind of attitude entwined into teaching the language that didn't help.

They've been teaching it the same way for decades and are still doing it. We had to read stupid stories to learn it. Why can't it be taught like a normal language?Why won't people take a hint and realize that it isn't working?

We need to take a leaf out of Wales book and do it the way they do.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The USA fought two wars against Britain to establish their independence... they speak English. They didnt feel the need to revert to Latin or adopt Cherokee.

It's called being weak and giving up. We didn't bring Irish back because we're lazy, submissive and the English have made us not want to speak Irish. They changed the Irish psyche

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Your comparison of the USA with Ireland doesn't stand up in this context. Very different cultural and linguistic histories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

They've been teaching it the same way for decades and are still doing it. We had to read stupid stories to learn it. Why can't it be taught like a normal language?Why won't people take a hint and realize that it isn't working?

We need to take a leaf out of Wales book and do it the way they do.

Great questions. I think the nationalist, anti English and oldest language in Europe and other sure we're great nonsense didn't help.
    It needs to be taught in conjunction with English, they are two different language groups (and English is a bastid language itself) and it needs to be explained why structure, verbs etc. are different instead of rhyming things like a Scientology convention.
    Maybe mix it with mythology and folklore and at a layer stage throw in some basic linguistics to show how it evolved etc. to keep it more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

You know not all Jews can speak Hebrew, right?

Your comparison of the USA with Ireland doesn't stand up in this context. Very different cultural and linguistic histories.

As valid a reference as Hebrew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Do YOU speak Irish daily OP?

Plus there is debate as to how dead a language it actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

As valid a reference as Hebrew.

Why?

outside israel very few do

• Advertisement

Lead by example then.

Good point. Afaia Irish is being taught in primary school. Anyone who wants to take it further can. If one was a grounding in a language then you can take it further by studying it online these days. The fact is hardly anyone wants to and they can hardly be forced to as some seem to think they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Why?

John, how much Irish do you personally use. I don't know your family circumstances, but do you speak it at home?

Do YOU speak Irish daily OP?

Fluent no doubt.

Plus there is debate as to how dead a language it actually was.

as a living language it was very much dead. They had to create thousands of words just to make it useful for everyday life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Giz us a cúpla focail there.

feargale wrote: »
    John, how much Irish do you personally use. I don't know your family circumstances, but do you speak it at home?

1. My name isn't John.

2. I don't use it that much as I don't live in the gaeltacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

1. My name isn't John.

Are you a member of Conradh na Gaeilge?

https://cnag.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

1. My name isn't John.

I don't live in the Gaeltacht and use it most days. I'm conversational but still learning . What I've learnt I've learnt most of it on my phone.

I don't live in the Gaeltacht and use it most days. I'm conversational but still learning . What I've learnt I've learnt most of it on my phone.

I don't really use it because nobody around me speaks it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

as a living language it was very much dead. They had to create thousands of words just to make it useful for everyday life.

If you want to find a language today that isn't peppered with English words and expressions you will need to visit somewhere like the jungles of Brazil or Papua-New Guinea.
    To give you an example of what I have encountered in my travels:
    Dutch "bumper to bumper."
    Maltese " life choices" and "mothers' day."

Advertisement