Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Underrated Band

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

e_e wrote: »
    Fugazi

bitterly disappointed the first time i bought a Fugazi album.

IIRC
    it was red.
    and rubbish

might give it another spin on the strength of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Big Country. Stuart Adamson lead singer was a genius. Their management and record companies were their downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Just thought of another one,Badfinger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

bitterly disappointed the first time i bought a Fugazi album.

IIRC
    it was red.
    and rubbish

might give it another spin on the strength of this.
    Tbh they had to grow on me the first few times I listened to them. Try Repeater or The Argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Scary Eire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Frank & Walters should be much bigger. A criminally under rated band from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

XTC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

The Roots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

lertsnim wrote: »
    The Frank & Walters should be much bigger. A criminally under rated band from Cork.

brilliant band.
    the injustice of it all:
    Franks-poster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Powderfinger - always thought they should have been a lot bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The Blades, U2's big Dublin rivals in the late 70s, most of the music press of the era predicted the Blades to make it big not U2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Captain Hman

Three Days Grace underrated in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Gmol wrote: »
    Rory Gallagher, how many here could name 3 of his songs(and be honest)

Massive fan. He truly is underrated - one of the best musicians to have ever been produced in Ireland, if not the world.

Few interesting tidbits:

Jimi Hendrix was once asked by a journalist what it was like to be the best guitarist in the world and he said 'I dont know, ask Rory Gallagher'

At one time there was a poll taken of some of the great guitarists (Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, etc.) to determine their choice of the greatest - guess who won?

I ****ing love Rory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

Gentle Giant.
    A group of absolutely exquisite multi instrumentalists that didn't seem to take off like the likes of Rush. Stumbled upon them by accident myself, any prog rock fans here should check them out.

Will check that out. Was massive into Rush back in the day, Gentle Giant is ringing a bell somewhere in the back of me head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

His mother bought him a synthesizer
    Got the Human League into advise her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Microdisney and Fatima Mansions.

If Cathal Coughlan ever dies, I'll demand statues in his honour to be placed on every mountaintop in the land.

Lapin wrote: »
    Microdisney and Fatima Mansions.

If Cathal Coughlan ever dies, I'll demand statues in his honour to be placed on every mountaintop in the land.

Someone might cut them down though, if they don't believe in Cathal Coughlan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Ash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

J Mysterio wrote: »

Jimi Hendrix was once asked by a journalist what it was like to be the best guitarist in the world and he said 'I dont know, ask Rory Gallagher'.

That's a widely circulated but not true tidbit, unfortunately.
    At the drive-in

Big time. Also, the Mars Volta. Not enough people know or give this incredible band a chance. The were one of the greatest modern bands, pushing musical boundaries into uncharted waters during their all too brief career.

Well, I can't prove it's true but a quick google search will show this quote to be widely accepted through various outlets, including Rolling Stone.

Incidentally, on conducting that search, I stumbled on a petition started by Slash to have Rory inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Its a travesty he's not already on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Well, I can't prove it's true but a quick google search will show this quote to be widely accepted through various outlets, including Rolling Stone.

Incidentally, on conducting that search, I stumbled on a petition started by Slash to have Rory inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Its a travesty he's not already on it.

Its a rumour that was originally attributed to Phil keaggy, not Rory, but has also put numerous people in place of them.

And for the record I think Rory is an amazing guitarist and musician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

The pixies

The gigs they've played last few years have all sold out almost immediately, everywhere, everyone loves them, they're generally held to be legends of 'alt rock'. Not underrated.

The Butthole Surfers on the other hand...or indeed Bongwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

No....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

No....

YEs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Alice In Chains. They were big in the 90s,but much less appreciated than Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

Advertisement