Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is Ireland's worst journalist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Do you also believe Gemmas claim that the Northern Ireland Troubles were a staged event?

No. I disagree with a lot of what she says. I hate her Catholic Revivalism with a passion, but I refused to exist within a simple polemic that we discount every opinion and statement a person might make based on the ones we do not like.

The Lockdown - at this stage is an abomination - and the agenda it services is politicians and senior civil servants intoxicated on protocol and bureaucracy to the point whereby they have lost the run of themselves and the best the Irish media can do is cheer-lead them while distracting the public consciousness for the billions of people the world over who are not in lockdown and are not all dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

Thank you for posting this. It exposes the exaggerated claim in Clytemnestra's post.

And quiver in indignation all you like but I did not "downplay" his crime. I don't know what part of the word "reprehensible" you chose to misunderstand.

You downplayed his crimes when you referred to his victim as a young woman. She was a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Economics101

Strange how some journalists, like the curate's egg, are good in parts. For example Fintan O'Toole: good theatre critic, very good on the beef tribunal years ago, and brilliant with his Brexit pieces, especially in the Guardian.

However when it comes to the health service and equality-related issues he reverts to Dave Spart mode.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Have said it before....Conor Pope.

Are people as stupid as he writes for 'consuner affairs'

You know what he will be writing about next week based on his tweets his week - less than average and now he gets TV air time as a so called 'expert'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No. I disagree with a lot of what she says. I hate her Catholic Revivalism with a passion, but I refused to exist within a simple polemic that we discount every opinion and statement a person might make based on the ones we do not like.

The Lockdown - at this stage is an abomination - and the agenda it services is politicians and senior civil servants intoxicated on protocol and bureaucracy to the point whereby they have lost the run of themselves and the best the Irish media can do is cheer-lead them while distracting the public consciousness for the billions of people the world over who are not in lockdown and are not all dead.

How specifically does the lockdown benefit politicians and senior civil servants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

How specifically does the lockdown benefit politicians and senior civil servants?

It’s all about “control”, A. If you can’t see that then you should try switching to bottled water.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Terry Prone....

Something quite ‘off’ about that one... no interest in the counter views of any other individual... like a blogger rather then a journalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Strumms wrote: »
    Terry Prone....

Something quite ‘off’ about that one... no interest in the counter views of any other individual... like a blogger rather then a journalist.

She has a permanent brain injury, from a car accident years ago.
    She was also left with serious facial injuries, and had to get extensive surgery to correct it, dental implants too because her teeth were knocked out.

I think she's most definitely an 'odd' individual, especially many of the things she has said. But some of that I, I wonder how much of it is tied into her brain injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

She has a permanent brain injury, from a car accident years ago.
    She was also left with serious facial injuries, and had to get extensive surgery to correct it, dental implants too because her teeth were knocked out.

I think she's most definitely an 'odd' individual, especially many of the things she has said. But some of that I, I wonder how much of it is tied into her brain injury.

Impossible to know, you’d need to be a psychologist I’m guessing to suss all that out..

You’d wonder though what the editor at times must be saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

All of TheJournal.ie's ... they copy/paste everything.

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    All of TheJournal.ie's ... they copy/paste everything.

They're practically dead right now.

Those 'clickbait' sites have a shelf life, and The Journal's been trimming it's crew over the last few years.

I mean, if Buzzfeed, Huffpo, and others are letting staff go, despite being a larger organisation, then you just know The Journal is not gonna last much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

They're practically dead right now.

Those 'clickbait' sites have a shelf life, and The Journal's been trimming it's crew over the last few years.

I mean, if Buzzfeed, Huffpo, and others are letting staff go, despite being a larger organisation, then you just know The Journal is not gonna last much more.

If The Journal dies, Boards will die too. Media is dying all over the world, good riddance.

If The Journal dies, Boards will die too. Media is dying all over the world, good riddance.

There's a difference between media and forums.

Boards isn't a digital media journalistic site.

But notice how quickly the 'digital media' sites bottomed out? Buzzfeed, Huffpost, DailyEdge, Joe.ie etc... all reliant on clicks, and then later clickbait.
    Many were told that 'print would die'... yet the decline of digital media was far quicker than print media.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭jack747

Des Cahill. I’d say he’s not sound either.

jack747 wrote: »
    Des Cahill. I’d say he’s not sound either.
    I'd say he's a terrible drip. Has big 'Glory Days' energy about him. You know the way you'd be meeting him in a roadside bar and he'd be going in and you'd be going out, and he''d snort "here, stay back, have a few drinks" but all he'd keep talking about is old Cuala GAA games, glory days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Journalism is very poor in this country, groupthink dominates

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

The UK based 'Dublin Live' that is actually owned by the Mirror group.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The UK based 'Dublin Live' that is actually owned by the Mirror group.

They also own Cork Beo. Complete gash "news" site that relies on copy and paste jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The guy with Jemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

This is challenging to answer.

Tempting to answer with "the one I agree with least" but I guess 'worst' means "the one who misrepresents the facts based on their own agenda" which means the winner is almost all of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

3DataModem wrote: »
    This is challenging to answer.

Tempting to answer with "the one I agree with least" but I guess 'worst' means "the one who misrepresents the facts based on their own agenda" which means the winner is almost all of them.

John Waters?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Journalism is very poor in this country, groupthink dominates

and that's why i admired Eamon Dunphy ...he was always a maverick

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

fryup wrote: »
    and that's why i admired Eamon Dunphy ...he was always a maverick

safely establishment posing as a rebel , thats dunphy and always was

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They also own Cork Beo. Complete gash "news" site that relies on copy and paste jobs.

Cork Beo is an absolute joke.
    The Evening Echo has been a joke for years and they can barely put a website and daily edition out, yet Cork Beo think there's some sort of market share to be had, mostly from creating articles based on social media posts or when McDonald's will reopen.

D'Echo has resorted to a weekly section where they (used to) go on to buses and have a chat with folk on there about ... stuff.
    You'd be mortified for all involved when you read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

When this all blows over and Varadker is taking up some EU, UN or Globalist Woke NGO/QUANGO cushy number you can get back to me.

As for Holohan, he used the pandemic as a kind of cynical 'Road to Damascus' in order to bury his appalling behavior/legacy with the Cervical Cancer horror. The spin this time last year was out of control with an artist hired to paint 'Dad' as Superman on a high traffic location with the 'artist' being told to mentioned 'that WOMEN wanted a poster of Dr Holohan'. It was pure Tony Blair/Bill Clinton level image massaging. Right down to him being touted for Freedom of the City.

Apart from the RTE propaganda bureau, I can't think of anything who has capitalize more on the C19 than politicians and civil servants. They are 'heroes' now. For basically doing what the UK did - because the UK did it - and none of them had the cognition/balls to apply independent thinking. It's still going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭trashcan

Indeed. Drinking in the horseshoe bar with PJ Mara and the likes. What a rebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When this all blows over and Varadker is taking up some EU, UN or Globalist Woke NGO/QUANGO cushy number you can get back to me.
    How many examples from our long history of politicians taking EU, UN or global NGO roles would it take to convince you that this has nothing to do with Covid?
    As for Holohan, he used the pandemic as a kind of cynical 'Road to Damascus' in order to bury his appalling behavior/legacy with the Cervical Cancer horror. The spin this time last year was out of control with an artist hired to paint 'Dad' as Superman on a high traffic location with the 'artist' being told to mentioned 'that WOMEN wanted a poster of Dr Holohan'. It was pure Tony Blair/Bill Clinton level image massaging. Right down to him being touted for Freedom of the City.
    Wow. Just Wow.

The government/civil service did not hire any artist to paint any pictures of Tony Holohan. Presumably you've heard that repeated so many times in the fun circles that you hang out with that you failed to notice it is an absolute lie. The only image massaging going on round here is by you.

Apart from the RTE propaganda bureau, I can't think of anything who has capitalize more on the C19 than politicians and civil servants. They are 'heroes' now. For basically doing what the UK did - because the UK did it - and none of them had the cognition/balls to apply independent thinking. It's still going on.

I haven't heard too many people describing politicians as heroes. I don't follow the opinion polls religiously, but from what I recall, the government parties were coming out pretty badly in recent months.

And again, you're factually wrong to say we followed the UK - quite the reverse. The UK went off on their solo run on herd immunity, until they eventually realised how many citizens they were going to kill (with the emphasis on the mostly elderly mostly tory voters), and backtracked to follow what Ireland and the rest of the world were doing.

So you might want to see if you find any actual facts to back up your bitterness?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

A bull****ter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

How many examples from our long history of politicians taking EU, UN or global NGO roles would it take to convince you that this has nothing to do with Covid?

Wow. Just Wow.

The government/civil service did not hire any artist to paint any pictures of Tony Holohan. Presumably you've heard that repeated so many times in the fun circles that you hang out with that you failed to notice it is an absolute lie. The only image massaging going on round here is by you.

I haven't heard too many people describing politicians as heroes. I don't follow the opinion polls religiously, but from what I recall, the government parties were coming out pretty badly in recent months.

And again, you're factually wrong to say we followed the UK - quite the reverse. The UK went off on their solo run on herd immunity, until they eventually realised how many citizens they were going to kill (with the emphasis on the mostly elderly mostly tory voters), and backtracked to follow what Ireland and the rest of the world were doing.

So you might want to see if you find any actual facts to back up your bitterness?
    The elderly weren't mostly Tory voters so stop spouting ****e. Look at the figures in the big traditional Labour constituencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

For me it's Fintan O'Toole as all he does in his writing is state the obvious. Who do you think is Ireland's worst journalist?
    It must be opposite day. He's the best Irish journalist and his work is insightful.

I suppose the worst Irish journalist probably isn't very well known.

I don't like John Waters though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement