Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best air to water heat pump

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,898 ✭✭✭✭unkel

MOTM wrote: »
    And the only EV's worthwhile at the moment (i.e. adequate range) ain't even remotely affordable for most people

How do you define affordable?

I paid €25k for my Hyundai Ioniq EV in 2017. Roughly the same as a diesel Skoda Octavia auto with a decent spec (but nowhere near as good as the spec on my Ioniq)

From then on the Octavia owner would spend thousands a year on fuel alone, the Ioniq owner just hundreds. And everything else is cheaper too. Tax, insurance, maintenance, tolls, parking, you name it.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭MOTM

When I was thinking of the "adequate" range, I was thinking of the likes of the Kona...which are not old enough yet to be affordable

I guess if someone has to change their car anyway, and if they'd go for a newer diesel/petrol, then it won't be that much more of a stretch to go EV, and the difference will pay for itself.

However, if someone's boiler has only a few years left, then I think it is a good time to avail of the grant while it is there and get a heat pump....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,278 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Is underfloor heating fundamental to these systems? I'd love to go down the heat pump route but the costs may not be worth it yet if it means ripping up floors

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

6 wrote: »
    Is underfloor heating fundamental to these systems? I'd love to go down the heat pump route but the costs may not be worth it yet if it means ripping up floors

It's not fundamental but it improves the efficiency quite a lot. The greater surface area of the heat emitter (the whole floor) means you can run the heat pump at a lower flow temperature for the same heat output which means it has less work to do and thus uses less energy.

Another aspect is the impact on perceived comfort levels. We tend to need more heat when we are sedentary, which also happens to be when we are close to the floor - sitting etc. So with UFH you're closer to the heat source when you need heat the most.
    Also the surface temperature of the entire floor is warmer which gives the perception of higher absolute temperature.
    Finally since there is a single evenly distributed heat source as opposed to a point heat source (radiatior) you eliminate any convection currents or draughts which again increases perceived comfort levels.
    The upshot of all this is that you can heat your home to a lower absolute air temperature with a seemingly magical higher perceived comfort level.

This means that you use less energy again as heat losses through the fabric of the house are reduced due to the lower temperature differential between inside and outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

Does installing UFH in a kitchen for example require the existing kitchen be replaced? Or can the floor area be dug up without damaging cabinets etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

UFH in an existing house is usually part of a major renovation. One would cut the concrete floor about 100mm from the walls and then dig down with a minidigger or manual. Min you'll need 100/150 mm sub floor, 150 mm insulation, 75mm screed. Its a good bit of work.
    BTW you put vertical insulation around the perimeter to isolate the screed, about 25mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Wigglytester

I had a Thermia Atec (Danfoss DHP AQ) installed about 7 years ago, got Electric bill for €1600 for Nov \ Dec 2021 followed by €600 for Jan. Turns out refrigerant leaked from the evaporator which caused the unit to switch to electric heating elements.

Had the installers back to investigate the 'Low pressure alarm' (€220) informed be the evaporator had leaked. Quote for new evaporator plus install €2600.

Contacted distributor as to why a passive component had failed after 6-7 Years service on a piece of equipment designed to last 15-20 years, not fit for purpose, not prepared to do anything.

Called a refrigeration guy I know who identified the leak, repaired and regassed (€470). See pic attached of leak.

So in short avoid Thermia, had I repaired the manufacturers fault with the approved installer the failure would have cost in the region of €4500 including excess electricity. Would have bought a lot of oil for that over the last 7 years...

Advertisement