Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pass the mince pies- Christmas Chat Thread Part Deux

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

2 tickets for the Toy show up for grabs. I repeat TWO tickets for the toy show up for grabs.

https://www.rte.ie/tv/competitions/2019/0903/1073551-win-new-york-trip-on-the-late-late-show-tonight/

Oh and €20,000 :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If I win, you can have the tickets, but I'm keeping the €20k. :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    If I win, you can have the tickets, but I'm keeping the €20k. :pac:

I accept these terms :D

This is a cute idea!!

JssSLk8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Am I the only one, a 40 year old man and already I've excitement in my stomach for Christmas, is this normal lol... Christmas was and always will be the most meaningful time of year for me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Am I the only one, a 40 year old man and already I've excitement in my stomach for Christmas, is this normal lol... Christmas was and always will be the most meaningful time of year for me..

Maybe it's a parasite from some undercooked meat.

Haha.

No I get what you mean. I think it's normal to love Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I was watching TV today and the amount of new kids toys being advertised was unreal!
    I thought this guy was cool.

Omg I actually want him for myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I think you'll find the majority in here feel like that!! And we are of course completely normal people... well, some of us anyway 😉
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

You are not alone. This is my permanent state of being from September onwards haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Straight No Chaser are in the NCH tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

interesting article in this morning's Guardian

There's something about autumn: why do people love fall so much?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/sep/23/autumn-fall-mania-pumpkin-spice-lattes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

"..fall" *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Welcome to the club. You're in good company here :)

Jude13 wrote: »
    "..fall" *shudder*

I've heard a few people, more work environment, use this term recently. Irish/English people.

Globalisation!

TRS30 wrote: »
    I've heard a few people, more work environment, use this term recently. Irish/English people.

Globalisation!

I used the term once... in a meeting... I got ridiculed and rightly so. :pac:

Worse was I hadn't planned on using it, I had a brain fart and couldnt think of Autumn....

Does anyone else find it strange that before this week is over we will be in the 80's in the countdown??

Felt like yesterday we were only welcoming the 99's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes definitely! I think once September arrives, the time just flies by......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Globalisation!

I was more horrified by the fact that this morning, Google told me that "fall" is from Sept 22nd until December 22nd! I'm sorry, but say what you like about November but December is definitely winter!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I've heard that the garden/bbq section in Johnstown Garden Center is closed off, and they're setting up the Christmas shop. Will do my best to resist going in till November.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Dermot and Dave will be talking about getting fit for Christmas soon. I ate everything in sight on a recent holiday so I definitely need to calm down with the over-indulgence for the next couple of months!

• Advertisement

Dermot and Dave will be talking about getting fit for Christmas soon. I ate everything in sight on a recent holiday so I definitely need to calm down with the over-indulgence for the next couple of months!

Same! Although my holiday was back in July and I didnt stop since, back in the gym now for the past 2 weeks to help reverse some of the damage... just so I can make room for the Christmas damage.

Loughc wrote: »
    Does anyone else find it strange that before this week is over we will be in the 80's in the countdown??

:eek::eek::eek:
    CheerLouth wrote: »
    I was more horrified by the fact that this morning, Google told me that "fall" is from Sept 22nd until December 22nd! I'm sorry, but say what you like about November but December is definitely winter!

Lets not open up that Pandora's box! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

:eek::eek::eek:

Lets not open up that Pandora's box! :D

More like Pandoro, and please, let's! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Can I ask a stupid question.
    Why do some people say it's the earliest I've ever seen Christmas stock out in the shop amd it's stupid/etc. When in fact they've being doing it with years now?.

Why do some people say it's the earliest I've ever seen Christmas stock out in the shop amd it's stupid/etc. When in fact they've being doing it with years now?.

I'm of the firm belief that some people like to get shocked/annoyed/offended for no reason or at the smallest things. Don't get the logic or thinking behind it. There are lots of things to get worked up over however majority of the time there is little point as you can do noting about it and is only bad for your health.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Loughc wrote: »

This time next week, tomorrow will be October. :eek:

Every year the BT Christmas shop opens earlier, even though every year it opens the third Thursday of August.
    The outrage!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,277 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I honestly don't get it the only thing I can think of is they must have short memories!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Posy wrote: »
    This time next week, tomorrow will be October. :eek:

Also known as tomorrow week :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Was in the US recently and stocked up on loads of Bath & Body Works autumn scented candles. I swear, if we had one of those shops here I wouldn't have a cent to my name, their stuff is dreamy.
    Some of the nicer scented ones were Pumpkin Spice, Apple & Cinnamon, and Blueberry Maple Pancakes. I'm only sorry none of the Christmas stock was out yet :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,166 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I honestly don't get it the only thing I can think of is they must have short memories!

Never ceases to amaze me how many people cannot wait to get outraged by the very mention of christmas outside their own constructed period of suitability (which is probably christmas ever to St.Stephens Day or suchlike) for discussing it. I know I've mentioned this many times over the years as being a particular bug bear of mine.

In reality I probably have started talking about it & planning for it earlier than I did a few years back but what with more stuff to do with the kids & people coming to ours for dinner etc. I dont think that's unreasonable, but to some its akin to mass murder!

I can understand a small proportion of people having genuine reasons for not liking christmas due to bereavement or suchlike but the OTT reactions by so many makes a mockery of those people with genuine reasons for not looking at christmas in a positive light.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement